Scratch Golf Clubs and Ryan Moore

FairwayFred

[quote name='TiGaTigaWoodsYall' timestamp='1289946585' post='2793752']
I must ask. Who is this poser that wrote that article about Ryan signing with Adams? I was just on the site and it said nothing about it. Second, I think he needs to check him self before he wrecks himself. Don't come on wrx and bring some Not Allowed because of spam nonsense on here. I wish Ryan and ari the best and I am sure both will be fine next year. Who is to say that Ryan won't play scratch irons next year and carry a bag and woods deal. People love to assume things on this site and write articles about scratch like they are perfect people.
[/quote]

Did you read Ari's post? Ryan and Scratch have agreed to part ways.

You also have to understand that lots of people don't share your passion, devotion, and commitment to Scratch Golf to the degree that you do.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1289946980' post='2793768']
I must ask. Who is this poser that wrote that article about Ryan signing with Adams? I was just on the site and it said nothing about it. Second, I think he needs to check him self before he wrecks himself. Don't come on wrx and bring some Not Allowed because of spam nonsense on here. I wish Ryan and ari the best and I am sure both will be fine next year. Who is to say that Ryan won't play scratch irons next year and carry a bag and woods deal. People love to assume things on this site and write articles about scratch like they are perfect people.
[/quote]

You also have to understand that lots of people don't share your passion, exuberance, and commitment to Scratch Golf to the degree that you do.
[/quote]

To be fair, he could still play Scratch gear without an endorsement deal.

Juicy.

I wonder if all the fan boys are still going to Kiss Ryan Moore Behind? I wonder if they are still going to say they like his sense of fashion when he clearly looks like a slob.
I wonder if it's still cool to attend a Major Golf outing with a 4 day old sloppy beard looking homeless.

I wonder if scratch will still be the darling of this site to the teenage fans here who likely can't afford the products anyways.

Is anyone shocked??? After a 10 page thread about him playing ping irons is anyone really surprised?

I hate Ryan Moore. Had no class or personality. So all the articles of him turning down millions to play what he wants is all BS. He can and was bought like everyone else.

This is good for Scratch IMO. Now if only the fanboys would lay off them and stop defending them after a 6 month back order they might gain a few customers.

2024 Bag TBD

[quote name='drpurpell' timestamp='1289947684' post='2793793']
[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1289946980' post='2793768']
[/quote]

You also have to understand that lots of people don't share your passion, exuberance, and commitment to Scratch Golf to the degree that you do.
[/quote]

To be fair, he could still play Scratch gear without an endorsement deal.
[/quote]

I can just about guarantee that that's not going to happen. If he wanted to play their irons he could have stayed an owner.

Seriously, maybe Ryan Moore and Scratch have a different point of view on the future and decided its easier to just part ways, or maybe Ryan finally got a brain and realized while it sounds "cool" to be Mr, Independent and not chase endorsement money, it looks pretty stupid on the balance sheet. Everything in life can be taken away from you in a blink. You don't have to be arrogant and treat people badly, but make money while you can and as much as you can. In golf you could be one wrist injury away from never sniffing a leaderboard again, then what? Hawk skateboard shoes?

Adams makes good product and if they want to throw some money at Ryan Moore, then what's to think about? Part ownership in a company whose sales may be going up, but so are costs? Even if Ryan had 25% of the company (speculation), what's 25% of net 0 (not speculation)? Anyway, Ryan Moore still gets what he wants, he can look dumpy in his clothing, claim not to be bought by the big boys (TaylorMade), and still cash in with a boutique (low sales, low customer service) outfit.

maybe the PRO can see they need a few years of catch up work. What was the down fall to the Golftoimpress article?
Glad i did not spend the money at that company. I did not like the feel from my friends Irons. Good luck to all

Mat
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5
Diamana Stinger x Flex

Callaway Epic 3W 15
Diamana Kali Blue Japan Spec

Mizuno 900 Tour 3H

PXG 0311XF 4 Project XLZ 6.0 Hardstepped. Plus 1/2 Inch
PXG 0311 5 - PW Project XLZ 6.0 Hardstepped. Plus 1/2 Inch

Callaway 50 56 (Bent to 55) 60 Mac Daddy Forged Chrome Blue DG Tour Issue S200

Callaway Chrome Soft X

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1289945485' post='2793717']
Here's what was posted on Not Allowed because of spam Sounds like Ryan's signing with ADAMS!

Posted Today, 02:41 PM

It is almost official...well it really is but you wont see the official press release for a little while...but Ryan Moore the new (old) face of Scratch Golf is leaving them and will now be a part of Adams Golf. Shocking to many of you I know...but to us honestly it was not a huge shocker.

Scratch Golf has created somewhat of a cult like following amongst forums and blog readers over the past couple years...and has been one of the main reasons for their spectacular growth. One of the reasons is because golfers on these sites got a true inside look at a young group of guys moving up the ranks. They felt attached to these guys and seemed to like the David vs Goliath theme they had going for them. Hey we did too...I loved what Scratch Golf stood for. But it maybe a case of "be careful for what you ask for because you might get it" kind of thing. Because they have grown and grown quick...maybe too quick.

Because from where we sit they seem to be losing some of their luster with previous and new Scratch followers. We have received dozens of emails with complaints about their customer service. And no not over a couple week or even a couple month span...we are talking almost a year now. People waiting months for clubs, getting someone elses clubs, getting one set of clubs and then another set sent on accident months later. This seems to be a recurring theme with the young company since its growth spurt began in my opinion. I thought they would get through it...but the issues don't seem to have been fully addressed and if they aren't soon, I think they might have a bigger issue then just the current face of their brand leaving for another golf equipment company.

They have already had a failed dealing with a talented putter designer and now the word that Ryan Moore, the face of their brand was also not happy with where he felt they were going is not good news for the brand if you ask us. Both parties who left seem to be singing the same song.
[/quote]

Well, obviously we have a website that hates Scratch golf. He's climbing in your window and snatching your clubs up and trying to bash dem so hide your pings, hide your Nike, and hide your husbands cuz they're bashing everyone out here.

[quote name='King Kobra' timestamp='1289951363' post='2793915']
Here's what was posted on Not Allowed because of spam Sounds like Ryan's signing with ADAMS!

It is almost official...well it really is but you wont see the official press release for a little while...but Ryan Moore the new (old) face of Scratch Golf is leaving them and will now be a part of Adams Golf. Shocking to many of you I know...but to us honestly it was not a huge shocker.

Scratch Golf has created somewhat of a cult like following amongst forums and blog readers over the past couple years...and has been one of the main reasons for their spectacular growth. One of the reasons is because golfers on these sites got a true inside look at a young group of guys moving up the ranks. They felt attached to these guys and seemed to like the David vs Goliath theme they had going for them. Hey we did too...I loved what Scratch Golf stood for. But it maybe a case of "be careful for what you ask for because you might get it" kind of thing. Because they have grown and grown quick...maybe too quick.

Because from where we sit they seem to be losing some of their luster with previous and new Scratch followers. We have received dozens of emails with complaints about their customer service. And no not over a couple week or even a couple month span...we are talking almost a year now. People waiting months for clubs, getting someone elses clubs, getting one set of clubs and then another set sent on accident months later. This seems to be a recurring theme with the young company since its growth spurt began in my opinion. I thought they would get through it...but the issues don't seem to have been fully addressed and if they aren't soon, I think they might have a bigger issue then just the current face of their brand leaving for another golf equipment company.

They have already had a failed dealing with a talented putter designer and now the word that Ryan Moore, the face of their brand was also not happy with where he felt they were going is not good news for the brand if you ask us. Both parties who left seem to be singing the same song.
[/quote]

Well, obviously we have a website that hates Scratch golf. He's climbing in your window and snatching your clubs up and trying to bash dem so hide your pings, hide your Nike, and hide your husbands cuz they're bashing everyone out here.
[/quote]

Umm.... I don't quite think you have your facts straight there. He makes some valid points. I personally know of people that were very frustrated with Scratch Golf, and will never order from them again. Their experience was enough to persuade me to not try their clubs.

Here is my gripe. All the coverage that Moore got this year was very interesting reading. The basis for his decisions, his style, his approach, his logic, ...this all made for interesting reading and a natural tendency to want Scratch and Moore to do well. Now, it's clear what we were reading all year was fiction. A façade.

It really leaves supporters with a lied to feel. Plus, the responses to our questions in the Ping thread, very misleading. I can appreciate keeping quiet about the dealings of a privately held company, but in that thread, it was clear misleading. A lack of candor. This just did not happen overnight. It's better to be told nothing at all.

Goes to show you how much more polarizing it is to label a representative as an owner of the company vs. just sponsoring them. Because if Ryan Moore were initially just sponsored by Scratch. regardless of how the compensation was worked out, I don't think the impact of him leaving would be as big as this is.

Players change equipment companies all the time, but the perception of an owner leaving has a bigger impact.

Just from lurking around here I know there are ton of scratch fans on this site, do not know what happened to Ryan and Scratch's relationship and I am sure FairwayFred (Ari)is doing the best he can at damage control. With any growing company there will be growing pains, while it sounds as though Scratch has had their fair share of them
so have many other company's. If you like Ryan Moore or dislike him he is a great player and this is a going to impact a company that was doing most of its marketing for clubs around him. I for one think Adams builds great clubs and am sure that Ryan will do well playing them,. I see all the comments on how the guy dresses and does not shave and can not believe that people would even write about this or worse yet go as far as to say they hate him. That is a shame and I agree that they are most likely 17 (oh to be young and dumb again). Ryan Moore is a great golfer, I am sure he has his reasons for switching brands. No one should change brands of clubs over this they should play what fits their eye or swing.
I personally had Scratch Irons and while they looked very nice, they did not feel good to [b]me[/b], I sold them and bought what felt good to [b]me[/b] and in doing so lowered my handicap 2 strokes, but I am not going to bash anyone, I am going to play what I feel is best for my game as should everyone on this forum.

Mike

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1289947744' post='2793795']
Juicy.

I wonder if all the fan boys are still going to Kiss Ryan Moore Behind? I wonder if they are still going to say they like his sense of fashion when he clearly looks like a slob.
I wonder if it's still cool to attend a Major Golf outing with a 4 day old sloppy beard looking homeless.

I wonder if scratch will still be the darling of this site to the teenage fans here who likely can't afford the products anyways.

Is anyone shocked??? After a 10 page thread about him playing ping irons is anyone really surprised?

I hate Ryan Moore. Had no class or personality. So all the articles of him turning down millions to play what he wants is all BS. He can and was bought like everyone else.

This is good for Scratch IMO. Now if only the fanboys would lay off them and stop defending them after a 6 month back order they might gain a few customers.
[/quote]

Seriously? Have you ever met or spoken to Ryan? How anyone can hate someone for the way they dress is beyond me. Its incredible to me, I don't care how they dress that you could hate someone for it. He has a beard at the Masters? Big deal, how does that bother you? How can you call him classless? He's been nothing but classy in interviews and the way he speaks. Don't get me wrong, I'm in better shape and him and would never wear the things he wears but I would never hate the guy for having his own style. I mean, if you were at a PGA event and the guy ignored your son or was rude to your girlfriend's landlords brother in law then I could maybe get why you hate him but...

One thing I always wondered about Scratch, how come every relationship they have with someone seems to end poorly or quickly/abruptly? Seems odd to me.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1289941651' post='2793595']
People are shocked by this huh? I thought this was going to turn out to be "false drama". :rofl:

I guess Ryan was just doing R&D for Scratch with those PING irons. :swoon2:
[/quote]

Ya real shocking...... I find it funny that those on the last thread couldn't see the tree's through the forrest...... they wanted to claim it was common to play OTHER PEOPLES GEAR as a face and owner of a company....or that perhaps he was only playing a 2 iron or just one club....ya, and that happened to be the one club the photo was taken of...... or what was it....they didn't have a tour van there..... or was it because he wasn't under contract to play irons.... .or was it because he still had a cap and bag with scratch name on it.

Fairway Freddies replies on the other thread were even more telling then on this thread..... now sounds like they or at least scratch was trying to work things out with RM to some degree after his Zing'er .... but for whatever reason they just couldn't come together on a wedge or bag deal.....Not really surprising when todays stars make more $$ jack then the company paying them, and add in a title of " owner" and "face" of the company..... the star may tend to start believing the title and feel more entitlement then whats actually available or affordable......

Bottom line, I think this is perfect timing for both RM and scratch to part ways.... and I doubt we will see scratch make the same mistake naming their next tour star as the face and ACTIVE OWNERSHIP role in the company. I think scratch will be glad that RM stepped off the gravy train, and they will concentrate on a few more cap, bag, wedge deals and most likely not try and push irons on the tour levels.

I wish scratch well and think they have just made their best company move yet...... and I have no doubt that RM will pick up a another deal out there and all will be happy for both the former face of scratch and the new role of scratch minus needing any tour face for it future growth.

I don't understand why Ryan Moore generates this much interest. He is just another PGA tour "B" player who dresses like a fool. Does his dress and lack of wanting a major sponsor justify this much attention? I have heard that Scratch has had some customer service issues, but who doesn't. I just had an Adams dealer tell me they are no longer going to carry their clubs because it takes 6-8 weeks to custom order anything from them and they have a habit of getting it wrong. Either way that is not going to affect a tour player. Adams makes fine products and I actually think their money could be better spent on a tour player that will give them more bang for their buck than Ryan Moore. If he quit dressing like a skateboarder and quit his B.S. line of " I just want to be my own person and not be bound to a company contract so I can play the clubs I want" may get him a little more respect.

[quote name='King Kobra' timestamp='1289951363' post='2793915']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, quite the contrary. He carries Scratch clubs in his bag, or did at one time. He also speaks his mind, and tells it like he sees it. He doesn't hate Scratch though. He also wasn't bashing Scratch.

Scratch did have an inventory shortage, Ari stated so himself above. It wasn't Scratch's fault primarily, but it was a fault in their system.

There also were people that ordered clubs that were on back order due to supply issues. Again, not primarily Scratch's fault, but they oversold their inventory. When the clubs came in the people got their stuff. Ask Ari.

People did get other people's clubs, packaging mistakes happen to everyone. That one is pratly Scratch's fault, but they got their shipments in and were trying to fulfill orders as fast as possible, thus errors occured. They made it right though from the people I've heard of that got the wrong stuff.

They also did have a failed dealing with a very talented Gene Nead (the putter designer mentioned). The details, well, those are up in the air, but the relationship didn't work out.

Where was he (Not Allowed because of spam) saying he hates Scratch? I'd like to see what part he stated that in? He stated facts. His opinions, along with his staff's are all posted subjectively, and without coddling anyone. If you've ever read some of his blogs or testing articles, you'd see. He doesn't favor anyone. I also don't believe that Scratch shares your sentiment about Not Allowed because of spam as they provided product for the Not Allowed because of spam lottery they held a while back where Not Allowed because of spam gave away a few Scratch wedges among other things. He states his opinions and information he gets from insiders as well, without having any bias toward anyone. He calls things like he sees it, plain and simple.

As for Scratch and Ryan breaking up. Well, it probably shouldn't shock anyone. Why? Because Ryan is one of the bigger equipment whores out there. He's a prototypical WRX type guy, he tinkers a lot. The Adams deal also doesn't surprise me, as he's had Adams product in the bag at times as well. And I also don't know that Ryan won't still have Scratch wedges in his bag, as Adams wedges aren't anything to write home about. (Doesn't Tom Watson play another brand of wedges too at times?) I believe that Ari has stated before (probably in the Ping thread) that Ryan's deal was mainly for playing wedges anyway. What's to say he won't still play Scratch wedges?

My question about this topic is, what happens to Don White and/or Jeff McCoy? I'd imagine Jeff stays, but what about Don? Surely Scratch wouldn't keep a top club maker on staff for their LPGA players? I'm not inside their circle though, so I don't know, that's why I ask. Either way, the product is still fantastic, and should still have a pretty good customer base. They're also in more stores now than before. I remembered Scratch wedges being in the PGA Superstore then they were gone. Now, however, they're back. That tells me that the following is getting larger. I wish much success to both parties.

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1289956517' post='2794117']
Still don't like Ryan Moore and I still want to try some Scratch Wedges.....
[/quote]

Buy some, you could have some TD Scratch wedges with all the the times you re-bought those Nike wedges LOL.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1289957061' post='2794132']
My question about this topic is, what happens to Don White and/or Jeff McCoy?
[/quote]

Don is not going anywhere. Most of his time is spent making clubs for customers through our Tour Custom Department and we are busier than ever with orders for those clubs. He is a huge asset to Scratch in many ways. I expect him to work a few more years for us and then retire when he is ready. Jeff is one of the original founders of Scratch and also will not be going anywhere. He runs our whole production department and is charge of CAD design and prototyping clubs and is designing our upcoming line of putters. He is far more than just a club grinder. Jeff also makes the majority of clubs for Tour players and made most of Ryan's clubs. Don is too busy with customers clubs as our customers are the most important thing to us. If anything we will be adding to your staff of Master Craftsmen to help keep up with customer demand rather than getting rid of anyone.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1289955459' post='2794063']

One thing I always wondered about Scratch, how come every relationship they have with someone seems to end poorly or quickly/abruptly? Seems odd to me.
[/quote]

Nothing odd about it at all, just follow the money...or lack of it.

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1289955818' post='2794079']

Bottom line, I think this is perfect timing for both RM and scratch to part ways.... and I doubt we will see scratch make the same mistake naming their next tour star as the face and ACTIVE OWNERSHIP role in the company. I think scratch will be glad that RM stepped off the gravy train, and they will concentrate on a few more cap, bag, wedge deals and most likely not try and push irons on the tour levels.

[/quote]

I wouldn't call the Ryan Moore deal a mistake by Scratch; it's the other way around. I don't know what "active ownership role" means in this case. Was Ryan Moore working the practice range on Monday - Wednesdays? We know he wasn't in customer service. If Scratch can get another PGA Tour member to be sponsored for what amounts to sweat equity and little to no cash outlay, they should take on any PGA Tour player dumb enough to go along with that. What's the downside? Ryan Moore wants more money, Scratch doesn't have it, and both are parting ways "amicably." Of course, you can't easily walk away from a deal like that and bad mouth anyone or you risk being sued.

When is the diva Christie Kerr leaving?

[quote name='FairwayFred' timestamp='1289957669' post='2794156']

Don is not going anywhere. Most of his time is spent making clubs for customers through our Tour Custom Department and we are busier than ever with orders for those clubs. We also have many other Tour players that we are making clubs for. He is a huge asset to Scratch in many ways. I expect him to work a few more years for us and then retire when he is ready. Jeff is one of the original founders of Scratch and also will not be going anywhere. He runs our whole production department and is charge of CAD design and prototyping clubs and is designing our upcoming line of putters. He is far more than just a club grinder. If anything we will be adding to your staff of Master Craftsmen to help keep up with customer demand rather than getting rid of anyone.
[/quote]

I appreciate the response Ari. I was curious about whether is would be real feasible to keep both on staff to deal with one contract player (I think you guys are down to one now right?). It also sounds like you guys have a real growing interest in the Tour Department, which only means good things for us, as consumers. Don is truly a craftsman, and Jeff (who I stated that I didn't figure would go anywhere in the original post) seems integral to the operation. As I said before, keep on churning out the great product. And keep fighting against the big corporations, it only helps us, the little guy consumers. Your product, and companies like yours only drive the industry to improve as a whole, and I, personally, appreciate that.

Not too surprising really, Ryan has shown the inability to get along with folks in the past. From what I've read, he (or his agents, vice versa) tried to stick it to Ping for a huge contract and they didn't cave in to Moore's demands. Next thing you know he had suddenly "chosen" to be without a sponsor. Yeah Right!

Everything with him seems to be fairly temporary. He runs to his own tune, bottom line.

Does that mean I don't like him? Not at all. I love watching him play and not give a F' what people think about him. Those neck tie shirts gotta go though.

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1289941651' post='2793595']
People are shocked by this huh? I thought this was going to turn out to be "false drama". :rofl:

I guess Ryan was just doing R&D for Scratch with those PING irons. :swoon2:
[/quote]
The false drama was that it was all speculation prior to the announcement. I never said how it was going to turn out, I said wait and see.

[quote name='Tmiller72' timestamp='1289962701' post='2794296']
Any plans to revamp the customer service department? Seems like nobody ever complains about the clubs (which is great), but they do have complaints about the CS. Also, there were some examples about poor CS in that article above.
[/quote]

Everyone around here knows that we had some issues with supply and inventory this summer. If you look back, so did quite a few other companies. We saw an incredible amount of growth and that combined with the labor issues in Asia made our clubs in very short supply. This lead to some large backorders. I dont think that is news to anyone around here. However these issues have been fixed and all other issues are in the process of being fixed. We have a full supply of our 8620 wedges right now and will have full supply of irons and 1018 wedges early next week. We have also hired a new Chief Operating Officer who has over 30 years experience in the golf industry to run our daily operations. His knowledge and experience has already been incredibly helpful and he has just started. Lastly we are closing our Oregon office and moving all production and retail supply and shipping to Tennessee which will mean that orders are taken and shipped from the same place and everyone is in the same office. This will also allow us to appoint someone to head our Customer Service department which will be completely revamped, changed and greatly improved. All of this will assure that we have no more issues in the future like we did this summer and I could not be more excited for the future.

Despite the issues of this summer Scratch Golf has had by far our best year ever. Our sales are more than double in 2010 what they were in 2009. Even more exciting we already have more sales in pre orders for 2011 than we sold all of 2010. We are also working with bunch of Tour players in the off season and expect to start the 2011 season with more clubs in play than we ever had in 2010. The future is very bright for Scratch Golf and we really appreciate the support from everyone here on GolfWRX.

In regards to Ryan, Ryan has absolutely nothing but good things to say about Scratch Golf and we have absolutely nothing but good things to say about Ryan. We had a great year together but have both decided to pursue other opportunities that have been set in front of us. We wish Ryan all the best and hope that we can still get some clubs in his bag. I expect him to have a great career with whomever he works with.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)