The Search Is Over. Gamer V2

pd570

After reading through this thread the other day, I went out and grabbed a 15-pack for $19.99. So what if I'm a scratch that usually plays ProV1x or Taylormade Pentas. It's November and I don't need a ton of spin, so why pay $40+ to go out and play in 30-50* weather. Just not worth it. I'm pretty pumped to see how these puppies perform out there. We'll see tomorrow.

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about making the V2 my new dall, a golf store near me was clearing them out at $10/dz. I tried them out and the V2's are ok but nothing great. I still have 5 dz Strata TL tours that I'd stockpiled from last year and the Strata is better all around.

Also. another store is selling Nike One Black for $10/dz so I think that might be my new gamer.

I totally agree about using a cheaper ball in the fall when course conditions are bad. What good does a higher spin ball do when greens are cement like or the fairways are covered inleaves?

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='djlazer1' timestamp='1289674675' post='2788675']
These balls are very underrated and plus they're endorsed by kenny mayne.
[/quote]

Alright, went out and played yesterday, first time ever with the Gamer's (V2). I'll tell you what, I was very impressed. I'm a high ball, high spin player and I really enjoyed the ball.

In terms of driver, I put a couple drives wayyy out there, specifically the 14th, a 442yd Par 4, in which I had 110 yards in. Obviously I hammered it with a soft draw and it just went, I'm sure with plenty of roll.

With the irons, I was most impressed. I had no fear of over-spinning a short iron out there. I really loved seeing my ball mark within a foot or two of ball. With the 56/60 degree wedges, I was spinning it only a few feet as opposed to 10.

I was in a couple situations where I was short-sided and blew my chips too far past the hole, but hey, it wasn't the balls fault that I missed the green. I'll just have to work on hitting higher chips/pitches when I get myself in trouble...

Putting was decent, I didn't putt great but did put a lot of good rolls on some putts and was able to make a 30 footer and a couple in the 15-20 ft range.

Overall, without a doubt, I would play this ball on the regular. The only time I may shy away is on an extremely firm greened course. Otherwise, I have no issues playing this ball regularly. I played with a guy I had never played with before, I let him know I was playing a Top-Flite and he had an interested look on his face. At the time he didn't know that I was a scratch but on 14, when I hit it 60 yards by him, he made a comment and started to ask alot of questions about the ball I was playing, ect ect.

This ball gets an A from a scratch, tournament player. Go for it guys.

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

Played one of these today for 18 holes. I usually play ProV1x, or Nike Tour D. I'm not a great golfer by any stretch but I thought the Top Flite performed great. Love the softer feel around the greens and still plenty long off the tee. For me, didn't perform as consistently as the X and Tour D for irons, but I was surprised how well the Gamer V2 played.

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3
Cobra King F6 Baffler
Cobra King Forged MB 4-P
Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58
Scotty Cameron IBDD
Titleist Pro V1x

After reading this thread I went out and bought a dozen. Anyone want to buy 10 balls cheap. I normally play Pro V's. Cold weather ball is the Srixon AD 333. The gamer's have virtually no spin for me. First 2 or 3 iron shots released over the back of the green. Maybe just a bad day so I'm not totally giving up on them. Will try again tomorrow but initial impression was not good.

Just started back playing the Gamer V2 a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten how great ball it is. Good distance and enough spin for me on the greens. Glad I picked up another box. Can't beat the price either. Got a box with an extra sleeve for $19.

Driver: Cleveland 588 Altitude 9*
3-wood: Acer XF 15*
Hybrids: Acer XF 22* & 25*
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 6-pw
Wedges: Acer XB Satin 52* & 56*
Putter: Golfmate Milled Series

Glad to see this topic on here. I began with the first version of these after the recommendation from Golf Digest over a year ago. The first version did shred a bit, but strangely, I never noticed any effect on the way the ball played. I believe the V2 is a better version due to the durability, although the V1 did seem a tad softer. I have tried out other balls and always go back to the V2 now. For the money they cannot be beat.

For the start of winter got a box of V2's and box of Srixon Z Star X's (yeller of course.) Played last weekend in 50-55 degrees, lots of wind and sporadic rain on great greens. Alternated balls off tee, approach, chips and on perfect greens (Carmel Valley). Hit two from the same spot, etc.

The V2 did shred with full short irons, but remained true and provided max distance compared with my usual ball - Pro V1x. It didn't spin for beans, but stayed within a foot or two of it's pitch on high approaches. Ran on to the back of the green with lower traj shots. Not bad for a rock. Didn't like it chipping or putting. Too hard, couldn't get it to check despite perfectly receptive greens. Putted a bit with them on carpet before the round and found them more difficult to get a feel for on grass.

The Z StarX was not as long, but spun and checked well (not Pro V1x like) but oddly felt, or maybe just "sounded", almost as hard around the greens as the V2. Good max distance on mid irons and woods.

The V2 will have a place in my bag this winter (on "those holes", you know?) The Srixon might just bump the big boys right out of the bag if I can get comfortable with them putting. A little clickier than I'd like. I might get used to it.

Really nice ball and for the price, it's the best deal in golf.

Loved it off the face of the driver, best feel I've ever had off the irons but definitely a little to be desired in the spin department (frozen greens today were playing fast for sure) I think I'm going back to the range tomorrow and buying out their whole stock of V2's. For $10 a dozen, I'm in love.

Those of you that bought them expecting to replace your ProV's or Pentas were going in with the wrong attitude. These are balls that are 1/3rd of the price.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through all 5 pages of this thread, I was in my local Target and these were on sale for 13.88 so I decided to give them a try. What Callaway has done here is given the customer a REALLY nice ball for a GREAT price. Even at $19.99 these would be a steal.
My findings. The Gamer V2 launched a little higher than my ususal ball ProV1X. Got a few more yards out of the Gamer, spin was not a good on short hop and stop pitches but overall i did get all my irons shots that were struck correctly to stop within a few feet of the ball mark. The Gamer was not as soft off the putter for me but nothing I could not adjust to. Conclusion.

I will use the Gamer V2 for all my rounds in normal conditions. Only time I will put the ProV1X (3X the price) in play is when the greens get baked out and I need the extra spin. Pretty much what I have read here from most of the posts so THANKS GOLFWRX for saving me some $$$$$.
tdog4

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x. 

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='pet575' timestamp='1294776210' post='2889328']
While I liked the V2 for its intended purpose of a decent ball for a decent price:

A dozen used ProV1X from LostGolfBalls.com>a dozen new V2's. Not much difference in price either-a few bucks.
[/quote]

I'd rather have the V2's, for whatever reason the prov's just don't work out that well for me. I know I'm probably in the minority there, but it works out for me.

[quote name='tdog4' timestamp='1292517763' post='2843844']
After reading through all 5 pages of this thread, I was in my local Target and these were on sale for 13.88 so I decided to give them a try. What Callaway has done here is given the customer a REALLY nice ball for a GREAT price. Even at $19.99 these would be a steal.
My findings. The Gamer V2 launched a little higher than my ususal ball ProV1X. Got a few more yards out of the Gamer, spin was not a good on short hop and stop pitches but overall i did get all my irons shots that were struck correctly to stop within a few feet of the ball mark. The Gamer was not as soft off the putter for me but nothing I could not adjust to. Conclusion.

I will use the Gamer V2 for all my rounds in normal conditions. Only time I will put the ProV1X (3X the price) in play is when the greens get baked out and I need the extra spin. Pretty much what I have read here from most of the posts so THANKS GOLFWRX for saving me some $.
tdog4
[/quote]

"THANKS GOLFWRX for saving me some $$$ "

That statement Isn't made that much around here I believe. =)

Thanks to this thread I will definitely have to try the V2 for the 2011 season.

The gamer V2 was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2010 for me. I used it for 80% of the year, with the exception of August and September when I switched back to a premium ball due to the extreme drought conditions in my area (Just to give an idea of how baked out our courses got, one hole at a track I frequent that normally plays driver, seven iron was consistently playing 3 wood, pitching wedge!) In my opinion, It's a great fit for someone who prefers the lower-spinning premium balls (such as Pro V1x, Nike Tour D, Z-star X, etc...), but doesn't quite have the swing speed to maximize their performance.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

[quote name='tampay' timestamp='1294972085' post='2895398']
[quote name='tdog4' timestamp='1292517763' post='2843844']

I will use the Gamer V2 for all my rounds in normal conditions. Only time I will put the ProV1X (3X the price) in play is when the greens get baked out and I need the extra spin. Pretty much what I have read here from most of the posts so THANKS GOLFWRX for saving me some $.
tdog4
[/quote]

"THANKS GOLFWRX for saving me some $$$ "

That statement Isn't made that much around here I believe. =)

Thanks to this thread I will definitely have to try the V2 for the 2011 season.

[/quote]

You got that right. With all the $$$ I spend on this site alone I NEED to save some somewhere. Give them a try. Dont spin like a ProV1X but a very nice ball in all other aspects of the game.
tdog4

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x. 

So I have been gaming the Gamer V2's the past couple of months now and today after I mishit a ball into a creek I went back to a Penta just because it was the only ball I could find immediately without having to search through my bag. And even though I am sold on the Gamer V2, I realized how much control and stopping power the Penta's had. I hit a 100 yard pitch into the green with the Penta right towards the flag and it stopped about 3 feet away. I hit it kinda low, which was a total mishit. If I did the same with the Gamer, which I have done a few times in these past two months, that ball would of rolled another 10-20 feet.

But all in all, this ball is worth trying and playing. It has treated me well for these past two months and will continue to be my gaming ball until Spring.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='3puttbogey2' timestamp='1353473462' post='5961075']
Figured this was a thread well worth bumping. Just picked up 5 dozen new for $63.
[/quote]
Where did you come across that deal?

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1353474214' post='5961099']
Figured this was a thread well worth bumping. Just picked up 5 dozen new for $63.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Local Mitchell golf place in Billings, MT. Had them on sale for $16, and buy 4, get one free on top. Guess they were actually $64.

[quote name='3puttbogey2' timestamp='1353476350' post='5961193']
[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1353474214' post='5961099']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Local Mitchell golf place in Billings, MT. Had them on sale for $16, and buy 4, get one free on top. Guess they were actually $64.
[/quote]
Ah dangit. the cost of me driving to Helena would offset the saving. However, nice find.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18