2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour golf ball for very good junior

CP_Circa62

[quote name='jon2' timestamp='1294011697' post='2871547']
[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1294008822' post='2871453']
[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1293994948' post='2871024']
Remember that unless you play a "premium" ball with a soft cover, you have no chance of coming close to maximizing your partial wedge spin. No chance. Anybody that tells you different, has not done enough accurate testing to know the facts.

Nobody on any tour that I know of, plays a ball like the NXT. It has a hard cover. Despite what it's inner compression is, you will not be able to maximize partial wedge spin with it. Wedge spin has nothing to do with how soft a ball feels on feel compression shots. You can have a ball with a 40 compression, but if it's got a hard cover, it won't spin much around the greens.

[/quote]

Well, I'm one who has done the research (for years) and do have the ball knowledge... and you are incorrect. [b]Approx 25% of the Touring Pro's playing Titleist Ball are playing the [b]NXT Tour.[/b]
[/b]Additionally, the NXT Tour's cover has a Teclock Type C Hardness measurement of 80. The ProV1's cover measures 78 or 79 depending on the year. The bulk of other name brand Tour Balls have a hardness of between 81 and 86.
Additionally, your statement about wedge spin isn't totally accurate either. The Spin benifit from a Tour Balls urethane cover comes primarily on full shots FROM THE ROUGH. There is little spin benefit from clean fairway lies vs an quality non-urethane covered ball.

Although I'm not a Titleist Fan...you really need to do your research prior to belittling a quality product like the NXT Tour.
[/quote]

What? Do you have any stats that support that? That sounds completely made up.

That I find hard to believe... I can only think of a couple guys who have played them in an event and I don't think they still play them.
[/quote]

I have seen several tests that test ball spin and the NXT does not even come close to the Pro V in wedge spin, especially partial swing wedge spin. Whether they "feel" soft or not is irrelavant for most, green side spin is the real deal when it comes to performance. NXT is a good ball but I also am calling you out on 25% of the pros use it...MAYBE club pros, but I doubt it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1294012732' post='2871573']
Remember that unless you play a "premium" ball with a soft cover, you have no chance of coming close to maximizing your partial wedge spin. No chance. Anybody that tells you different, has not done enough accurate testing to know the facts.

Nobody on any tour that I know of, plays a ball like the NXT. It has a hard cover. Despite what it's inner compression is, you will not be able to maximize partial wedge spin with it. Wedge spin has nothing to do with how soft a ball feels on feel compression shots. You can have a ball with a 40 compression, but if it's got a hard cover, it won't spin much around the greens.

[/quote]

Well, I'm one who has done the research (for years) and do have the ball knowledge... and you are incorrect. [b]Approx 25% of the Touring Pro's playing Titleist Ball are playing the [b]NXT Tour.[/b]
[/b]Additionally, the NXT Tour's cover has a Teclock Type C Hardness measurement of 80. The ProV1's cover measures 78 or 79 depending on the year. The bulk of other name brand Tour Balls have a hardness of between 81 and 86.
Additionally, your statement about wedge spin isn't totally accurate either. The Spin benifit from a Tour Balls urethane cover comes primarily on full shots FROM THE ROUGH. There is little spin benefit from clean fairway lies vs an quality non-urethane covered ball.

Although I'm not a Titleist Fan...you really need to do your research prior to belittling a quality product like the NXT Tour.
[/quote]

That I find hard to believe... I can only think of a couple guys who have played them in an event and I don't think they still play them.
[/quote]

I have seen several tests that test ball spin and the NXT does not even come close to the Pro V in wedge spin, especially partial swing wedge spin. Whether they "feel" soft or not is irrelavant for most, green side spin is the real deal when it comes to performance. NXT is a good ball but I also am calling you out on 25% of the pros use it...MAYBE club pros, but I doubt it.
[/quote]
NXT TOUR is played in high wind or soft conditions on tour to maintain line and trajectory into the wind. Titleist guys will play it in the British Open but seldom anytime else.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? He's got stats up the a** in that post. He's given more info about them than a titleist rep could for god sake.

[quote name='jasonTeI3' timestamp='1294014547' post='2871634']
i dont care what stats that are up there. i guarantee you that 25% of tour players, that play titleist balls, dont play nxt tours.
[/quote]

First of all, this could include Nationwide and Senior tour players. Out of ALL the people sponsored by titleist, you don't think 25 percent of them play a softer ball? Especially the guys on the senior tour who don't have the higher swing speeds anymore?

[quote name='Kyler' timestamp='1294014281' post='2871626']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? He's got stats up the a** in that post. He's given more info about them than a titleist rep could for god sake.
[/quote]

stats are meanlingless if you just pull them out of your arse :busted2: ................I heard that 85% of tour players use R flex shafts.........it's true look it up....

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Lol. Stats out the arse. 75% of the time, it works ALL the time!!

Sorry to break it to you bud, but most tour balls are made for swing speeds in excess of 100mph. Simply because, that's where most of the tour players speeds are! Like most others said, the B'stone RX or RX-S would be good. The Z Star would afford you a good amount of spin in almost every category. Good luck in your search.ok.gif

To the OP, what is your index? Not that it really matters, just want a better picture of your game.

As far as NXT being in any way comparable to ProV's, that's just out and out BS. I'd like the names of a few of those tour players who use NXT Tours. But to the OP, that doesn't necessarily mean ProV's will be better suited to [i]your game. [/i]With an 80's SS, you aren't going to get all the benefits of a ProV. You will definitely get the short game benefits, but there are softer balls that compete in that area as well. Check out the Callaway i(s).

[quote name='Kyler' timestamp='1294014757' post='2871648']
i dont care what stats that are up there. i guarantee you that 25% of tour players, that play titleist balls, dont play nxt tours.
[/quote]

First of all, this could include Nationwide and Senior tour players. Out of ALL the people sponsored by titleist, you don't think 25 percent of them play a softer ball? Especially the guys on the senior tour who don't have the higher swing speeds anymore?
[/quote]

Thanks for being rational and for the clarification. That is exactly what I was referring too...

[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1294019764' post='2871895']
[quote name='Kyler' timestamp='1294014757' post='2871648']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for being rational and for the clarification. That is exactly what I was referring too...
[/quote]

well what you were referring to is still wrong. even the lpga titleist players use the pro v1/prov1x and some of them have swing speeds in the 80's. the reason they play this ball is the urethane cover which provides maximum green side spin. sure theres a possibility that they could gain an extra 3-5 yds with a nxt tour or something similar but the amount of spin they would lose inside of 50 yds would be too much to sacrifice. you should find the charts on this site that show spin rates with wedge shots for different balls and you will see what i mean. in fact im willing to bet there are ZERO nationwide/pga tour players that regularly use a nxt tour.

Ahh, this is sad. Lets not compair stats. Just go buy the most expensive ball you can. I personally am NOT a PRO, but I do play both NXT tour and Topflight Gamer V2's. I like the NXT tour better. I have played pro v1's and I have never noticed a hugge difference in spin with my wedges or any short iron. You can give 5 people the same ball, they are not all going to get the same spin. There are too many factors against that. Go buy some and see what you like. Since you are looking for a "tour" ball. Just go hit up the pro v1's, 330's, tour d's.... It is a fit to your game, not ours.

Regardless of what tour pros do - this is a Jr. who says his SS is in the 80s. There aint a damn thing "selling him short" by suggesting the NXT Tour - if someone did that. And the complete negative attitude that was taken - to a comment that wasn't made - just didn't make any sense to me. He ought to be looking for a ball to take advantage of his swing speed - not one that touring pros think is best for them. And he came looking for advice - but then crapped on advice he may have been given BEFORE ANYONE GAVE IT TO HIM...

I don't care if any touring pros play it or not. It is in my rotation - mostly for adverse conditions. It may not fly a line drive, stop and check...but I know that - and play to it. When I hit into a green, I try and bring it in higher and make the ball stop that way. Or I'll run it up more...either way...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter