2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TP Red LDP vs Z-star and Z-star X

Can you all position the TP Red relative to Zstar & X?
Looking for opinions that will position my all-time favorite ball - TP Red LDP - relative to the Zstar and Zstar-x balls. Mainly interested in 1. Driver Spin 2. Driver Distance 3. Iron spin and overall feel. At this point, I'm desperate to find an available ball to replace my TP red ldp's. For perspective: 92 mph driver swing speed. slight cut swing (which is why low driver spin is extremely important) 4.5 handicap so premium urethane cover is critical for playability.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you I'd buy a sleeve of Z Stars, Pro V1, Tour i(s), B330 RX and B330 RXS, and the Penta and do a little test. May as well spend a couple dollars on different balls and get a feel for how each reacts. I know players that have high SS (110+ for real) that prefer the regular ZStar and I know guys like my father who has a SS of about 90-95 and prefers the ProV1x contrary to how they are marketed to each player.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Zstar is a tad shorter than the red ldp, off the driver and iron. Zstar spins a tad more. red ldp is a far better ball into the wind.

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

:clapping:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1285660263' post='2717585']
Zstar is a tad shorter than the red ldp, off the driver and iron. Zstar spins a tad more. red ldp is a far better ball into the wind.

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

[/quote]

+1

I like the Red LDP so much I stockpiled 24 dozen from Walmart when they put them on clearance 3 months ago. I still have 21.5 dozen left. I average about 1 ball per round and play 2-3 times per week. They should last through next year and even into 2012.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='trackcoach13' timestamp='1285707139' post='2718549']
I like the Red LDP so much I stockpiled 24 dozen from Walmart when they put them on clearance 3 months ago. I still have 21.5 dozen left. I average about 1 ball per round and play 2-3 times per week. They should last through next year and even into 2012.
[/quote]

Lucky.... I wish I did that too.... I tried everything and I still think the TP red ldp were the best ball. Now that they discontinued the tp reds i am playing the prov1x.

The ProV1x is my 2nd fave. I think it is a good replacement for the TP Red LDP. I like the Red a little better and I also do not like $45.99.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='mk920' timestamp='1285707695' post='2718568']
[quote name='trackcoach13' timestamp='1285707139' post='2718549']
[/quote]

Lucky.... I wish I did that too.... I tried everything and I still think the TP red ldp were the best ball. Now that they discontinued the tp reds i am playing the prov1x.
[/quote]

Same boat, have 6 new TP reds left .. testing now. Picked up some Wilson Zips at Martins in Myrtle two weeks ago (9$ close out). Distance comparable to the TP Red, maybe a little longer, great feel off the putter. Decent spin on irons.

• 1 month later...

I played the red and zstar side by side yesterday. Red was longer off the tee, but z star wasnt far behind. Hit my better drives with z star, but no real reason I think, just a better swing.

Iron spin though, no brainer. Ripping the zstar all over the green, while the red was fine, I had a string attached to the zstar... For me the zstar putts nicer too.. Seemore proto, no insert.

It does spin more on driver, but I have a slight cut swing, and had no ill effects. If anything, lower ball flight with a super deep px 6b6 combo, than with the red.

Any suggestions which of the Z-Star balls would be better in the wind (as compare to the Red LDP)? Recently switched to the ZStar from the Red LDP and like it, but going to be playing in windy / links conditions soon and wondering if the X would be better?

My Driver SS = 104-108mph so right on the bubble between them according to the Srixon website (105 or more should use the X)...

[quote name='leftisdead' timestamp='1291803166' post='2829510']
Any suggestions which of the Z-Star balls would be better in the wind (as compare to the Red LDP)? Recently switched to the ZStar from the Red LDP and like it, but going to be playing in windy / links conditions soon and wondering if the X would be better?

My Driver SS = 104-108mph so right on the bubble between them according to the Srixon website (105 or more should use the X)...
[/quote]

I like the Z-Star X in the wind because I have found that it launches a little lower for me. I am really one to switch balls because of soft or wet conditions but not due to wind. Yes there are balls that work better into the wind but I am learning the characteristics of one ball and am going to make it work in windy conditions.

I play the Nike ONE Tour on the fastest/firmest greens and the Z-Star on everything else. I don't get the rip back that some do with the Z-Star more of a hop and stop or hop and spin back to pitch mark. I am actually finding that it is more controllable to have stopping spin than spinning them off the front of the greens.

[quote name='trackcoach13' timestamp='1285713585' post='2718726']
The ProV1x is my 2nd fave. I think it is a good replacement for the TP Red LDP. I like the Red a little better and I also do not like $45.99.
[/quote]
Been posted everywhere else, but srixon balls are two for 60 and the many offering coupons! Also, I saw posted in another thread the cheap but loved "red" is coming back in the spring.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='Sabaka' timestamp='1285676511' post='2717692']
[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1285660263' post='2717585']

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

Bring back the red ldp!

[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

+1000000

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1292212803' post='2838075']
[quote name='Dean NC' timestamp='1291693443' post='2827491']
I too played the tp red until I could not find anymore. I moved to z-star based on the reasons above. Feels a little different off the clubs but it is a good change
[/quote]

If anyone still needs Red LDP's, I still have dozens left.
[/quote]

How much?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='whydoilovegolf' timestamp='1293679381' post='2865269']
Try Wal-mart for the TP Red's
[/quote]

All of the walmarts in St Louis only carry the black. I did see them at target last night, but they were $35, and I just could not pull the trigger. I am not cheap, I just know that LGB has mint LDP for $16 right now. If they had been at the sale price, all three would have been purchased.

[quote name='taylormade113' timestamp='1293807283' post='2867602']
[/quote]

All of the walmarts in St Louis only carry the black. I did see them at target last night, but they were $35, and I just could not pull the trigger. I am not cheap, I just know that LGB has mint LDP for $16 right now. If they had been at the sale price, all three would have been purchased.
[/quote]

See, this was my thinking all along.. I'm not saying all, but majority of the people on here, would have never tried the Red if it wasn't for that two for $55, or $50 deal that rolled for a while back in the day.

At $39 bucks, the Red isn't that attractive, but because it was on sale so long, people though $25 a dozen WAS a good deal, and they are right.

If they brought the Red back, and price pointed it at over $30, I'm willing to be a large number of people will have moved on, and wouldn't buy.

[quote name='leftisdead' timestamp='1291803166' post='2829510']

[/quote]

My swing speed is in the same range and I too was a fan of the Red LDP. I experimented with the Z-Star balls extensively this fall and played in plenty of wind. Both Z-Star balls are very stable in the wind. I prefer the feel of the Z-Star around the greens and off of the putter over the Z-Star X and the Red LDP, and did not feel as if I was giving up much in terms of wind performance or distance. BTW, I switched from the Cally Tour Is.

One added benefit I have found with the Z-Stars is that they are very durable relative to other premium balls.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Overall it seems that the a couple of the ball manufacturers jumped to the conclusion that they needed to add spin potential to their premium designs, because of the groove change....even with their "lower spin, higher speed" designs.

Definitely a knee-jerk reaction that was not necessary. If they would bring back the TP Red and the Cally ix, they'd instantly have a bunch of their market happy and buying again. Go ahead and put a new logo and name it, but just bring back the characteristics in the longest and lowest spin premium balls of all time.

Have 3 doz new Red's left and picked up 5 doz mint from LGB. Super folks to deal with by the way.

I have tried the Z's , couldn't get them to go anywhere, PV1 both, ok but not at the premium, and the closest to the Red is the Maxfli Tour. Nice ball around the greens and play well with the hit short and bounce to hole game I play. Little softer off the putter than the Reds.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1293807575' post='2867609']
[quote name='taylormade113' timestamp='1293807283' post='2867602']
[/quote]

[/quote]

See, this was my thinking all along.. I'm not saying all, but majority of the people on here, would have never tried the Red if it wasn't for that two for $55, or $50 deal that rolled for a while back in the day.

At $39 bucks, the Red isn't that attractive, but because it was on sale so long, people though $25 a dozen WAS a good deal, and they are right.

If they brought the Red back, and price pointed it at over $30, I'm willing to be a large number of people will have moved on, and wouldn't buy.
[/quote]

For me it really was not about price point. I have not paid over $30 a dozen in 2 years. Nike Tour-$20 on sale, Tour IX-$24 on sale, TP Red LDP-$21 on sale. My thought was that it is the middle of winter and rounds will be far and few between, so there is no reason to dump extra money into a ball that I can order in bulk for half the price. Now, if it was the middle of summer and I was running low on balls, and could not wait to order new ones, then it would have been a no brainer. I would not have looked at any other ball on the shelve. For me they are that good. Now if they brought them back at the $45 price point, I would pass. No ball is worth that. I would just order it through LGB.

i certainly hope thats not the case.....i just bought 2dz to try out and LOW driver spin is exactly what im looking for. to me the red ldp was as good as it gets. my swing speed is around 105-107 and launch is 13-13.5 3300-3500 rpm with the red ldp and a 9.5 superdeep/rip 70s combo. so anything that can get my spin lower is much appreciated.