Callaway Tour IX vs. Tour I(Z) Golf Ball

cantill2

You'll be surprised by these numbers...
Ok so Callaway claims that their new Tour I(Z) golf ball is their longer tour ball ever made. Yet, the USGA published the ball as a "Medium" spin off the driver compared to "Low" spin off the driver with the older Callaway Tour IX.

I tried the tour iz myself for a few rounds this year and hated it. it was shorter off the tee than the tour ix by several yards and not as durable. it did have slightly better greenside spin for me but not by much.

I took it upon myself to track the driving distance of the players on the PGA/European tour who switched to the new tour iz golf ball from the ix. For 11 golfers, only 1 player (Danny Lee) gained distance from 2009. The other 10 players lost distance - including long bomber Alvaro Quiros. The spainard gave up more than 8 yards off the driver switching to the new softer Tour IZ golf ball.

Furthermore, fairway accuracy really went unchanged for most of these players... so why did they make the switch? See my data below on these players.... I took it one step further. I looked at the 4 guys who are still playing with the Tour IX golf ball and compared their driving distance to last year. 3 of the 4 players still using the Tour ix golf ball actually GAINED distance this year from the previous year!!! If that's not a true testatment to the fact that the Tour IX golf ball is longer than the IZ then I don't know what is.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour IX was my favorite Wind ball. The new IZ seems to balloon inconsistently in the wind, and I know longer consider it a good wind ball.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

[quote name='cantill2' timestamp='1290528639' post='2804097']
Ok so Callaway claims that their new Tour I(Z) golf ball is their longer tour ball ever made. Yet, the USGA published the ball as a "Medium" spin off the driver compared to "Low" spin off the driver with the older Callaway Tour IX.

I tried the tour iz myself for a few rounds this year and hated it. it was shorter off the tee than the tour ix by several yards and not as durable. it did have slightly better greenside spin for me but not by much.

I took it upon myself to track the driving distance of the players on the PGA/European tour who switched to the new tour iz golf ball from the ix. For 11 golfers, only 1 player (Danny Lee) gained distance from 2009. The other 10 players lost distance - including long bomber Alvaro Quiros. The spainard gave up more than 8 yards off the driver switching to the new softer Tour IZ golf ball.

Furthermore, fairway accuracy really went unchanged for most of these players... so why did they make the switch? See my data below on these players.... I took it one step further. I looked at the 4 guys who are still playing with the Tour IX golf ball and compared their driving distance to last year. 3 of the 4 players still using the Tour ix golf ball actually GAINED distance this year from the previous year!!! If that's not a true testatment to the fact that the Tour IX golf ball is longer than the IZ then I don't know what is.
[/quote]

I played the ix for sometime, switched to i(z) when it was introduced and realized improved distance, but more important better ball control. I use to spin the ix too much around the greens, and IMO it wasn't nearly at good in windy conditions as i(z). It was difficult to take spin off ix; but not so with i(z), it allows me more flexibility.

Once a tour player feels competitive distance wise, ball control becomes his bigger concern; least that's what my tour friends tell me. By the way, just because you read someplace a tour player is play "X" ball, doesn't necessary mean he is all the time.

Phil talked about the i(z) ball on TV when playing with Jack N. during a ProAm earlier this year. Jack asked him how come he's hitting the ball so far he said its the i(z) ball, he also said it gives him more control. PS, I am no slouch off the tee, and my 2i is worth about 215-220.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Look you can't argue with the numbers here. The tour ix is longer - that doesn't mean it's a better ball than the tour iz. I'm just saying that for my game I hit the tour ix longer and all the Callaway staffers appear to have lost distance switching to it. Phil Mickelson lost 1 yard - that's not signficant. And in all reality that is not much of change worth making a big deal out of. The problem I have is when companies come out and say, "OUR LONGEST TOUR BALL EVER MADE." And then they come out with drivers that promise "8 more yards" or "15 more yards." It's all a selling point and i don't find any validity in it.

I never called you a slouch off the tee - but I do think you'd pick up a few more yards if you gamed the tour ix! haha :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1290557253' post='2805388']

[/quote]

I played the ix for sometime, switched to i(z) when it was introduced and realized improved distance, but more important better ball control. I use to spin the ix too much around the greens, and IMO it wasn't nearly at good in windy conditions as i(z). It was difficult to take spin off ix; but not so with i(z), it allows me more flexibility.

Once a tour player feels competitive distance wise, ball control becomes his bigger concern; least that's what my tour friends tell me. By the way, just because you read someplace a tour player is play "X" ball, doesn't necessary mean he is all the time.

Phil talked about the i(z) ball on TV when playing with Jack N. during a ProAm earlier this year. Jack asked him how come he's hitting the ball so far he said its the i(z) ball, he also said it gives him more control. PS, I am no slouch off the tee, and my 2i is worth about 215-220.
[/quote]

I fit into the same category as a number of players here. I played the IX in 2009. Great ball. Couldn't stand the i(z) or i(s) and haven't used a Callaway ball since I ran out of IX back in March or April or whenever it was.

FWIW: I tried all the premium, and a couple non-premium, golf balls in early 2010 and chose the Srixon Z-StarX. Occasionally, I've played a few holes with something else, but I always go back to the Z-StarX. I hope I don't have to do a whole new golf ball search for 2011.

How does the Z-star X compare in distance vs. the Callaway tour ix?

[quote name='putt4_66' timestamp='1290577613' post='2806062']
I fit into the same category as a number of players here. I played the IX in 2009. Great ball. Couldn't stand the i(z) or i(s) and haven't used a Callaway ball since I ran out of IX back in March or April or whenever it was.

FWIW: I tried all the premium, and a couple non-premium, golf balls in early 2010 and chose the Srixon Z-StarX. Occasionally, I've played a few holes with something else, but I always go back to the Z-StarX. I hope I don't have to do a whole new golf ball search for 2011.
[/quote]

[quote name='cantill2' timestamp='1290579617' post='2806101']
How does the Z-star X compare in distance vs. the Callaway tour ix?

[/quote]
[/quote]

About the same for me. Maybe a couple yards farther.

[/quote]

Srixon is coming out with a replacement for the star and star X. I really liked both of them, especially in the yellow.

i used to play the ix as well, now play the i(s)

I think the main reason they changed was that there were some tour i & ix balls with the cover coming off.

I find it interesting that some of you think the ix was more durable than the i(z)

I think the tour i & ix was the least durable ball ever made since the gold box pro v1

it wouldnt even take a full wedge shot to take a good chuck of the ball off.

it was dam good though as far as distance, feel and spin

[quote name='cantill2' timestamp='1290565231' post='2805707']
Look you can't argue with the numbers here. The tour ix is longer - that doesn't mean it's a better ball than the tour iz. I'm just saying that for my game I hit the tour ix longer and all the Callaway staffers appear to have lost distance switching to it. Phil Mickelson lost 1 yard - that's not signficant. And in all reality that is not much of change worth making a big deal out of. The problem I have is when companies come out and say, "OUR LONGEST TOUR BALL EVER MADE." And then they come out with drivers that promise "8 more yards" or "15 more yards." It's all a selling point and i don't find any validity in it.

I never called you a slouch off the tee - but I do think you'd pick up a few more yards if you gamed the tour ix! haha :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1290557253' post='2805388']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't know any good golfer that bases his choices on OEM published "numbers"'; myself included. Kinda like choosing equipment off Iron Byron tests, which is regularly used for ball tests. I understand what you're saying; still published charts and tour player yardages are like survey's and research studies, founded in bias, and or in cases like this influenced by marketing / advertising. Hence, arguing validity has little merit.

Besides, NOT one has my best scores has been due to driver and more yards off a tee. It's been the result of second shots and controlling the ball around the green which is where the i(z) excels for me. But, if you're successful with ix, that's fine. As I said I played ix, so I have nothing against the ball. And I never meant to imply you called me a slouch...sorry. Have a great holiday friend. :)

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The missing data in this dataset is which players also made a driver/driver shaft change. I bet sonme of them did..that would invalidate some of this data.

As for me, I love the iZ....i hate the iZ..lol. I;ve been looking for a replacement for the TP Red as I will run out sooner or later. happen to find a iX ball and immediately thought this ball would be a good replacement....then they discontinued it and I guess the iZ ball is the so called 'upgrade'? well it isnt for me..the cover is more durable, but thats about all i can say other than more greenside spin. the ball tends to get up higher on me when i dont want it to sometimes, and i dont have that prob w. either the red or iX. IMO the iZ is an ok ball..not as good as the iX or red. it also doesnt feel so great which is obviously very subjective

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='Bombn ' timestamp='1290552756' post='2805232']
Tour IX was my favorite Wind ball. The new IZ seems to balloon inconsistently in the wind, and I know longer consider it a good wind ball.
[/quote]

Oddly enough I think the flight of the Tour iz is superior to the ix. The ix appears at my course now and then and I play it but I always get too much height. The iz flies how I always wanted my shots to. I just had to some red ldp online for a crazy deal. As soon as Im done with those its back to the iz. Best ball for my 10.5* driver.

I liked the ix better in most cases; trajectory, distance, putting. The feel and reaction of the i(z) around the green is a little better, which may be why many pros are forgoing the distance from the tee. As for the claim of 'longest premium ball' I am not so sure.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

the ix was the best ball for me by far. I did my own little test a year ago between it and the ProV1 and the ix outperformed the ProV1 for me by far. I changed and never looked back.

Then they discontinued it. I don't like the iz.... feel isn't close IMO. It produces entirely too much spin for me as well.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

• 1 month later...

[quote name='albatrosser' timestamp='1290660362' post='2807848']
the ix was the best ball for me by far. I did my own little test a year ago between it and the ProV1 and the ix outperformed the ProV1 for me by far. I changed and never looked back.

Then they discontinued it. I don't like the iz.... feel isn't close IMO. [b]It produces entirely too much spin for me as well[/b].
[/quote]

That's the problem - all the premium balls are designed to spin more to compensate for the new grooves that amateurs just don't have :-(

I loved the iX - It fitted my game perfectly - the new Callaway balls are inferior in every category - Still playing iX when I can find it - no idea where next, Srixon looks good, quite like the look of the Z-Star X - how does it compare?