2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Odyssey Prototype

G.Review

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the purest flat sticks I've ever rolled. It has been compared to Cameron GSS in terms of feel, and although I have never rolled one personally, I can only imagine that is an accurate description. It's my current gamer, and I'm in love. Loads of confidence when I stand over any putt. Highly recommended! This putter never received the gratification I think it deserved, making it a HUGE sleeper.

[size="2"][quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1297063594' post='2957320'] Its an Anser knock-off without an insert from Odyssey
[/quote][/size]
[size="2"]
I generally try to take the high road and not bash on comments like these, but I mean, REALLY?! To call this a knock-off I can only assume you haven't used one yourself. To say that all Anser styled putters are just a copy of Karsten Solheim's design is to say that it is of poor taste to modify and perfect a great base model. As much as I respect the original, I certainly prefer a slightly modified version that is milled, has softer lines, has few engravings/markings/stamps, and doesn't have a sound slot. /rant[/size]

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1297064036' post='2957325']
One of the purest flat sticks I've ever rolled. It has been compared to Cameron GSS in terms of feel, and although I have never rolled one personally, I can only imagine that is an accurate description. It's my current gamer, and I'm in love. Loads of confidence when I stand over any putt. Highly recommended! This putter never received the gratification I think it deserved, making it a HUGE sleeper.
[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1297063594' post='2957320'] Its an Anser knock-off without an insert from Odyssey
[/quote][/size]
[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]
I generally try to take the high road and not bash on comments like these, but I mean, REALLY?! To call this a knock-off I can only assume you haven't used one yourself. To say that all Anser styled putters are just a copy of Karsten Solheim's design is to say that it is of poor taste to modify and perfect a great base model. As much as I respect the original, I certainly prefer a slightly modified version that is milled, has softer lines, has few engravings/markings/stamps, and doesn't have a sound slot. /rant[/size]
[/quote]

I hear you. I can't stand how my Ford Fusion is some cheap knock-off of a Model T.

[quote name='tdk8180' timestamp='1297066442' post='2957345']
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1297064036' post='2957325']
[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1297063594' post='2957320'] Its an Anser knock-off without an insert from Odyssey
[/quote][/size]
[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[/quote]

I hear you. I can't stand how my Ford Fusion is some cheap knock-off of a Model T.
[/quote]

No problems, the OP asked what do you think, thats what I was thinking. We all know that there are only a few genuinely original putter designs that anyone will game/ sell in commercially viable numbers/ stand the test of time. Sorry I don't get too excited about putter design. I guess Odyssey extend their potential market a bit my putting out flat-sticks without inserts.

I'm just going to post here without quoting, because I hate excessive quote "stacking".

This is the "Review the Tools of the Trade" section, not the "Review the Design of Clubs Without Reviewing" section. If you have used this club and want to post a review, please do so. Otherwise posting comments on how it doesn't strike you as having an exciting design does nothing more than detract from the topic and make it harder for those who are looking for a review to find what they are searching after.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So I got my Protype #7 just the other day when it was built for me on the Odyssey truck. I have only been able to putt with it once so far on the practice green, but I must say I am impressed so far. The Protype #7 is not face balanced but does have about a 4 o'clock toe hang. It might be even less than that and I will try to get a photo up of the amount.

Looks: The putter looks great with the light satin silver color. The milling is visible and the face is somewhere between deep milled and the milling on an older SC select series. The #7 has dual site lines on the flange that frame the ball quite well. The round mallet shape with a plumbers neck seems to blend well together, much better than the old Odyssey XG 330 they made. That putter looked like Frankenstein to me, but on this putter the softer lines make the 2 flow together much better.

Feel: One word, SOLID! This thing feels amazing. It is super solid, but still a soft feel. I have always been a fan of Carbon steel putters for the soft responsive feel and this one does not disappoint. I will probably say that the medium depth milling on the face gives it a softer feel, even with a Callaway Hex Black ball that tends to have a firmer feel than some others. It lets you know exactly how good your contact was with a clickier feel on mishits. When struck correctly it feels very similar to the older SC Mill Spec putters.

Conclusion: While I don't have any course time with it yet, I have a good feeling that it could easily become a game for me. And that is pretty remarkable seeing as though my current gamer is a Byron Morgan 008x in solid copper! I think this line is just as good as any milled putter out there and a real diamond in the rough. If you have an open mind and aren't just going to by a Cameron because "it's a Cameron" you need to give these a try. You will be pretty amazed.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• 1 year later...

Recommend a player be pretty good with blade style putters if you're gonna pick up a Protype. The head is definitely on the lighter side of 340g, and an arc putting stroke needs to be consistent for max benefit. I gave the Protype a month to earn a spot in my bag, only broke the 30 putt per round barrier once. Sad to see it go. This is one of Odysseys best putters I've seen from the company since the early 90's. Unfortunately the Protype #3 failed miserably for me inside 6ft, so it's gone.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Limited in LH models, I've only tried the #1 wide. It is a very nice design with obvious quality craftsmanship, very nice milling on the face. A very soft feel, with excellent feedback. I thought the double bend shaft was a poor choice for the head, set up left my hands behind the ball, a bad starting position for a good putt in my opinion. Considering the retail price, I would have gone in a different direction (a custom) before sending Odyssey so much money. Still it is a very nice attempt to move towards making a better product, since I've never met an insert I really liked. If you want a soft feel at impact, stop playing with a ball as hard as a rock.. but I suppose that is for another topic. Nice try Odyssey, but not worth the retail price. Pick up one cheap on eBay or better yet, order a putter from a number of custom makers that will put everything you want into one stick.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have an Odyssey Prototype #1, milled putter. I asked at my local golf shop and they said it must have been special made for someone, not a stock putter b/c there is a shaft ban just under the grip. We found it when we regripped it. It has a J number.

I also have an Anser 2, I believe the nickel version, where the site line and Pingman paint fill is Gold not white.

I took both of these putters to the practice green after having the Odyssey Prototype #1 bent to the same lie angle as the Ping and to be honest, I want to use the Odyssey over the Ping b/c I'm for lack of a better term snobbish. I read posts where pros are using putters "...Built after the Anser Style"....so I figure what the heck I'll use this expensive bad boy.

Well after 1 and 1/2 hours putting with both, trading back and forth, I can honestly tell you there are very little differences. The Odyssey Prototype #1 is milled, pure putts have a soft feel, nice feel. Missed putts you can definitely tell, I can feel when I miss it on the toe or heel. Across the board though the distance control is flat out amazing, I was using 2 balls and each time the balls would roll next to each other or bump into each other. :good:

The Ping Anser 2 was just as good. Distance control is next to amazing, very consistent. Pure putts feel nice, maybe just a hair firmer than the milled prototype, but just barely, maybe more of a pop feel, or slightly slightly firmer. I would said miss hits are where this putter works better, you can still feel them (toe or heel misses) but the distance loss isn't as bad. It seems more forgiving, mishits with the prototype #1 made a bigger difference on distance control. I would give the thumbs up to the Anser 2 on forgiveness.

I guess what strikes me as strange is, if great players used the Anser 2 growing up, but then later move onto a more expensive version, SC, Odyssey milled, etc..etc...and they all say they are trying to make it as close to the original Anser they learned and grew up with...well why don't they just use the good 'ol trusty Ping?

I'm sure as heck no pro, and for me it's like splitting hairs. If I was to use my Ping Anser 2 next time out instead of this expensive Odyssey Prototype #1 I would be just as happy, it would give me just as much confidence if not maybe a little more. I think what I need to do is kick the stubborn snobbish attitude out of my bag and give this old school Ping Anser 2 a shot as my gamer.

As far as value, I think I scored. If I remember correctly I bought my Odyssey Prototype #1 off the internet for around $150 used. My Nickel Ping Anser 2 I picked up at my local golf shop for $40. I think they thought it was the stainless version.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

protype, dubbed. not prototype.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven