Callaway Razr X-Forged Pictures, Impressions, Reviews

The Great X-Forged Thread
Thanks to Golf WRX and Callaway, I was sent a set of Razr X-Forged to review, compare, and comment. I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity and I hope I can provide the community with as much as is needed in reviewing these clubs.

My plan is to compare the 6-irons of the 2007 X-Forged, 2009 X-Forged, 2011 Razr X-Forged, and X-Protoype series on the range (but they all have different shafts), and then compare the Razr X-Forged with my set of X-Prototypes in actual on-course play. I only have 6 irons for the 2007 (PX 6.5) and 2009 (PX 6.0) sets.

As some brief background, I'm a 7 handicap currently who started playing in 1987, but took some time off between 2002 and 2008. I am a semi-digger and can hit the ball consistently off the middle of the club face, contrary to what some of you might say about high single handicaps and their claims, haha. I played the X-Protos with hardstepped KBS Tours in S since late 2009, and my range of scores was between 74 and 86. I played 12 rounds last year, which essentially matched the total number of rounds I played between 2002 and 2008. I'm thinking I may hit 20 rounds this season, but with a 4 and 2 year old at home, that's still a dream, lol.

Anyway, on to the clubs. These showed up 2 weeks after Golf WRX contacted me, and as requested, they had KBS Tours in stiff and GP Tour Wrap Full Cords. These were not hard stepped, but I haven't had a chance to check in with Callaway on that. Callaway was also generous enough to send me a 2-iron to try out as well. These irons may have an unconventional looking cavity, but the quality looks great and they look fantastic from address. I really like the satin finish and high toe. Based on my opinion, the Razr X-Forged look the most like the 2007 X-Forged at address, similarly angular, and slightly less rounded than the 2009s and the X-Protos.

Some other observations:
  • Offset looks comparable to the other 3 sets, but the topline does appear slightly thicker than the others.
  • Because they packed more grooves onto the face, along with the higher toe, the Razr X-Forged 6-iron looks a little more lofted than the other 6-irons.
  • The Razr X-Forged appears to have the most bounce, followed by the 2009, X-Proto, and 2007.
  • The Razr X-Forged also appears to have the thinnest sole of the group, comparable to the X-Proto, but thinner than the 2007 and 2009. I can measure them with a micrometer but thought that might be overkill, haha.

September 2011 Update:

I recently asked Callaway for offset measurements and they were kind enough to email me spreadsheets with specs for the Razr X-Forged and the Razr Musclebacks, which are the same as the X-Protos. The Razr X-Forged have LESS offset in the 2 through 5 irons than the Razr MBs, but only in the range of .1 to .4 mm, hardly enough for most of us to notice. The 6-PW are pretty much the same for both sets (unless you take it out to more than 2 decimal places, lol). Just thought that might be useful information for some of you out there. Bounce specs are identical, except for the MB PW, which is 1 deg more bounce. Lies and lofts are identical.

The comparison pictures below should do better than my description, so please take a look for yourselves. I hope to post some reviews soon.

Please feel free to post any questions or suggestions for comparison as well and I'll do my best to help.

IMG_6840.jpg
IMG_6836.jpg
IMG_6838.jpg
IMG_6852.jpg

From left: X-Proto, Razr X-Forged, 2009 X-Forged, 2007 X-Forged

IMG_6841.jpg
IMG_6848.jpg
IMG_6846.jpg
IMG_6850.jpg

From left: 2007 X-Forged, 2009 X-Forged, Razr X-Forged, X-Proto

IMG_6843.jpg
IMG_6845.jpg

And of course, the obligatory WITB shots:

IMAG0302.jpg
IMG_6854.jpg

Here are some cell phone pictures for you 2-iron lovers out there:

IMAG0288.jpg
IMAG0289.jpg
IMAG0290.jpg
IMAG0291.jpg
IMAG0292.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial driving range review 3/13/2011

I took the Razr X-Forged out to the range yesterday to break them in and to get comfortable with them before I start on any meaningful comparisons. I'm also still trying to shake off the winter rust in my swing. This was one range session about an hour and half and 120 balls to get acquainted with the clubs and was done off tight mats with Pinnacle range balls, for whatever that is worth.

Address/looks

These irons line up very nicely, IMO, and that applies throughout the set. The angular shape and straight leading edge make it very easy to line up square. The topline is slightly thicker than the other X-Forged generations and the X-Protos, as you might have seen in the pictures above. The long to middle irons actually look perfect to me now; slight offset, and just thick enough of a topline that tells me I have some help, but I do have to say that the short irons do look slightly on the clumsy side. As I posted before, they still are pretty short from heel to toe, but it is the high toe and packed grooves that make the higher lofted heads appear much larger than the middle and long irons.

Ball flight

Initial impressions: I started with a couple partial PW shots and my first impression was that these were launching pretty low, but as I warmed up more, I was making better contact and it started to get higher. However, as I made my way through the set, I found that the Razr X-Forged launch and apex lower than what I was expecting of a cavity back with KBS Tours. In a good way, haha. I did bring the 2009 X-Forged 6-iron with me since it'd been a long time since I'd hit that, and pulled that out for a few balls and it confirmed my finding. The Razr X-Forged with KBS Tour Stiff launched and apex lower than my X-Protos with KBS Tour Stiff, hard stepped once, and comparable to the 2007 X-Forged (with PX 6.5) and 2009 X-Forged (with PX 6.0). I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison because of the shaft differences, but wanted to document it anyway.

2012 Update: With the same shafts, DG X100, the Razrs are about comparable with the X-Protos in terms of flight in the mid to long irons. The short irons appear to go lower. I'd like to confirm this on a Trackman one day, but until then, that's what it seems. I wonder if it's the conforming grooves of the Razr vs non-conforming X-Protos. Either way, I'm still digging the flight with these irons, even more so now with shafts that I'm getting along well with.

Feel

Initially I thought they were a little clicky, but then I realized that I was hitting everything just a tad off the heel. Once I found my way to the center of the face, the sensation was very pure and soft, almost comparable to the X-Protos and 2009 X-Forged, which I think still feel softer. The Razr X-Forged feel softer than the 2007 X-Forged, though. I need to do more testing on this in the coming weeks, and also off some real grass. The more balls I hit the more I appreciated the honest feedback that these heads provide. Off center hits were not harsh, but you could definitely tell from the sound and feel when shots were not on the sweet spot. Flushed contact felt… well, flush… while off center strikes had a noticeable click to them.

Playability/forgiveness

The consistency in the trajectory of the Razr X-Forged was very impressive, obviously a function of the shaft too. And speaking of consistency, these things had an extremely tight dispersion. The ball wanted to stay on target on practically all my good swings, even on slightly off center hits. This was one aspect that to me was outstanding in these irons. I naturally play a small draw, and most of my solid shots were just that or straight. I did hit some pulls and blocks, but curvature on those seemed slightly less compared to my X-Protos.

Now while these irons launch the ball nicely and have decent forgiveness in terms of direction on off center hits, the longer irons are not automatic by any means. Don't let the thicker topline fool you. You still need to put a good swing on these, but when you do, they are sweet. Same as mentioned before – mid launch with a penetrating trajectory, for my swing at least. I guess since we're talking about long irons, you might think that's pretty obvious, but what I'm trying to say is that relative to some more GI focused irons and even other players' CBs, like my old Maxfli Revolutions and TEE CNC Forged, these long irons aren't a walk in the park to hit. I am also wondering if these heads might have too much bounce for me in general, but need to try these out on the course or a grass range first. I've become more of a sweeper, but also more of a "progressive" digger with deep, long divots with the short irons and little to no divots with the long irons/hybrids. Maybe it's a ball position thing

Workability

I don't find these that easy to work the ball, but maybe it's just me. But I'm a 7 handicap who doesn't get to play a lot, so I'm gonna be honest and say I'm just looking to hit the ball solid with my stock swing, which is a high draw. These are pretty straight hitters though, so the fact that I find these easy to hit straight might imply that these take a little more effort to shape shots.

Distance & Spin

Update August 2011: I got my shaft and swing issues resolved (or at least on the right track) and the world is right again. I had initially suffered about a 2 club distance loss, hitting my 6 iron around 170-174 yards carry on the Trackman with spin around 5000 - 6800 rpms (I know, super high variance). Later in the season however, I got around 178-194 yards carry with spin between 5200-7100 rpms, and head speed 88-96 mph. These were both with KBS Tours in S. I have not obtained any Trackman data with the Dynamic Golds, but hopefully those will come soon. During the fitting, I used an MP-68 with X100 and got around 186-192 yards carry with spin around 5800-6400 rpms and 92-94 mph head speed.

Update September 2011: I hit the Razr Forged with X100 on the Trackman vs my X-Proto with KBS Tours (S flex, hardstepped once) - wasn't a good ballstriking session, but generally the X100s launched lower with more spin than the KBS Tour S hardstepped; X100s were mid 5000 rpms to low 6000s and KBS were actually low to mid 5000s, launch was about 1 deg higher with the KBS and apex was higher too. Head speed was 91 to 93 mph, distance was comparable in the 185 yard range, on average, with a slight edge to the KBS. Sorry for the approx stats, but the session was to get the swing weights done (D2 with midsize grips, vs the X-Protos which are D0 with midsize grips) so I didn't pay much attention to the numbers.

Course Review

Due to swing issues, my scores have been all over the place, but I'll tell you that turf interaction with these is good. Sharper lead edge, narrow sole, high bounce make these very friendly from [i]most[/i] turf conditions. The long irons have been the highlight, as I've been needing a little more help than what I was getting with the X-Protos. I'll usually use the 2-5 irons or 4-6 irons from the Razr set, depending on the course, and 6/7-PW from the X-Proto set. The last time I went out I had a good ball striking round with the full set of Razrs with Dynamic Golds, so that was a good sign, not that it was only because of the irons of course, but they probably helped. :) The short irons, despite looking on the larger side, play very nicely and with the Dynamic Golds, and are very consistent in terms of spin, distance, and trajectory on pure strikes. BUT I seem to be having some trouble with consistent contact of the short irons off firm, tight lies, and I'm guessing maybe it's because they have too much bounce for me? That's the theory at least. But I am working on getting better at compressing the ball so maybe things will improve.

Toulon Palm Beach

Cant wait to hear. Was looking to go with the 09 x-forged but will wait now for this review. your opinion on the other ones you hit how does the x-protos compare to the 09 x-forged in the forgivness department. Always loveed the protos but scared they are too much for my 12 handicap

Team beachbody coach
WITB Link

[quote name='yedi015' timestamp='1299951036' post='3049087']
Cant wait to hear. Was looking to go with the 09 x-forged but will wait now for this review. your opinion on the other ones you hit how does the x-protos compare to the 09 x-forged in the forgivness department. Always loveed the protos but scared they are too much for my 12 handicap
[/quote]

I last hit the 09 X-Forged about a year ago, the 6-iron in these pictures I actually just bought a few days ago for the sake of this comparison, but in all honesty, the forgiveness of the 2009 X-Forged was not significantly more than the X-Protos. At least, based on what I can remember. That's partially why I did not end up with those myself. I think they were easier to hit straight on average than the X-Protos, but didn't have the "distance forgiveness" I was expecting, granted, they are a pretty compact sized players' CB. The cavity on the Razr X-Forged is huge, so I'm very optimistic that these will be a very friendly set of irons for the class they are in.

Another thing I just noticed was that even though the Razr X-Forged appear bigger and have thicker topline, they are still pretty compact from heel to toe, and you can see the length of the grooves, as they run from heel to toe, across all four irons are of comparable length.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1300127265' post='3054462']
Great initial review..... I don't think I could hit those off ground with much success :)

Good looking irons though.
[/quote]

Haha, thanks. They're not actually that tough to hit. It's an interesting combo - low offset, thin soles, yet slightly thicker topline and large cavity. I am itching so bad to get these out onto the course...

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='gator95' timestamp='1300128515' post='3054534']
I have the 2007 X Forged. Love them. tried all the newer Callaways, and they don't feel as good as the originals in my opinion.
[/quote]

I'm beginning to think that these Razr X-Forged look and feel closest to the 2007s, but with a thicker topline and maybe a little softer feel. I think they are most like the 2007s in terms of forgiveness too, but have considerably more bounce.

Toulon Palm Beach

IMO, I think the thicker top-line and additional bounce does not make they much difference than the previous X Pro Series models except in the feel department. I think they are making these players clubs a little too GI looking.

Just my personal preference. I played X-14 PS for many years and finally went away from them because I found thinner soles and top-lines fit me and my eye better.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1300218197' post='3057913']
IMO, I think the thicker top-line and additional bounce does not make they much difference than the previous X Pro Series models except in the feel department. I think they are making these players clubs a little too GI looking.

Just my personal preference. I played X-14 PS for many years and finally went away from them because I found thinner soles and top-lines fit me and my eye better.
[/quote]

i switched to the razr forged from the 09 x forged. And to me the razxr are more forgiving, and yet just as workable!! The forgivness to me comes from the bounce. im somewhat of a digger, and when i hit knockdown shots with the 09's i would sometimes catch them a lil fat and turnem left. The razr x forged for me in this department is perfect.... i love em! Added playability, and a lil more forgiving IMO.

That's awesome, Joel! I know you've only played Cally irons as long as I've known you, but this is an incredible opportunity! How did it happen?

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

do a course review!!!! can not wait for that one. I love my Protos, wanted to have them replaced by 710 MB but there s no way the Titleist can compete. Protos rock!! partytime2.gif

I'm FINALLY going to get be able to get out with these next Tuesday morning, assuming the weather holds up. Can't wait. Stay tuned for the on course review.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1300124016' post='3054312']
Added my initial impressions on the range to post #2. Hope it'll be helpful...
[/quote]
I was wondering if you also had a big yarditch gain? I was playing the 735cm before, but this razr x is just awesome and bombs the ball away. Was this your opinion too?

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='peakposition' timestamp='1303041038' post='3161295']
[/quote]
I was wondering if you also had a big yarditch gain? I was playing the 735cm before, but this razr x is just awesome and bombs the ball away. Was this your opinion too?
[/quote]

I picked up about 5 yards or so in carry distance with the razr x forged, coming from adams idea pro forged

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1303055738' post='3161648']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I picked up about 5 yards or so in carry distance with the razr x forged, coming from adams idea pro forged
[/quote]

I've played three rounds with the Razr X-Forged so far and I'm sorry to report that I've actually lost about 2 clubs of distance in my irons, but yet I'm hitting my drives and hybrid about the same as before. Do note however, that these were my first three rounds of the season, and I can't remember the last time my body and swing has been this out of whack. I'm struggling with everything right now, so it's mostly me I think.

But when these are pured, they are super straight and feel amazing, they just go up, and not forward, LOL. Feedback wise, they are as I posted before - excellent - not harsh on all but the worst mishits, with plenty of feel to let you know if you've missed the sweet spot. I'm actually starting to feel like the sensation on a pure shot is as good as the X-Protos. Turf interaction has been good too - they take a nice divot, but without digging too deep, based on my swing at least. Being my first experience with conforming grooves, they spin sufficiently well off the fairway and from light rough, but I did hit a 5-iron from the second cut yesterday that hit the green and took off another 10 yards off the back.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1303822619' post='3186701']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1303055738' post='3161648']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've played three rounds with the Razr X-Forged so far and I'm sorry to report that I've actually lost about 2 clubs of distance in my irons, but yet I'm hitting my drives and hybrid about the same as before. Do note however, that these were my first three rounds of the season, and I can't remember the last time my body and swing has been this out of whack. I'm struggling with everything right now, so it's mostly me I think.

But when these are pured, they are super straight and feel amazing, they just go up, and not forward, LOL. Feedback wise, they are as I posted before - excellent - not harsh on all but the worst mishits, with plenty of feel to let you know if you've missed the sweet spot. I'm actually starting to feel like the sensation on a pure shot is as good as the X-Protos. Turf interaction has been good too - they take a nice divot, but without digging too deep, based on my swing at least. Being my first experience with conforming grooves, they spin sufficiently well off the fairway and from light rough, but I did hit a 5-iron from the second cut yesterday that hit the green and took off another 10 yards off the back.
[/quote]

I think the loss in distance is from the shaft not the head. KBS Tour spins a ton and that's why your losing distance especially coming from PX which spins less. I experienced this same thing going from PX 6.0 Diablo Forged to my current set of R9TP's with KBS stiff. Into the wind I need 2 clubs more with KBS Tours.

I am looking now switching to RAZR X Forged with either KBS C-Taper or PX Flighted which is the stock shaft. KBS Tour feels great but spins too much for me, I am high spin and high hitting already, KBS Tour exagerates this even more. It took me a while to figure this out but now I am sure of it, espeicially after hearing from others on this forum with the same experiience. Love the look and feel of RAZR X Forged, just need to get the right shaft.

stopdog, you could be right, although let me just say that I didn't mean for that post to come across as if I was blaming the heads. My swing aside, there are other factors that I think might have caused the loss of distance, but I'd love to get others' thoughts on it.

First, the Razr X-Forged are swingweighted at D2, while my X-Protos are closer to D5, and my old Maxfli Revolutions are D4. Could that swing weight difference contribute to a loss of distance? I'm talking about both flushed shots and average distances. The other thing is that my X-Protos have KBS Tours, stiff, hardstepped once, and these Razrs have stiffs straight in, which could result in the higher spin you are referring too. It seems that the distance loss is more pronounced with the shorter clubs, which seems to make sense. I tried a combo set using the 3 and 4 irons of the Razrs, but with some lead tape added, and my Proto 5-PW, and the 3 and 4 irons seemed to be a little longer than I had found previously. Not sure if it is all in my head, but I've been estimating these yardages using marked off distances on par 3s with cart GPS as a double check. Even if the actual distance is off, the relative differences between the Razrs and my old irons is definitely there.

Once again, I'm not faulting the clubs themselves or their design, but it seems that I need to get fit or re-fit to these properly.

As already posted, I still like the look and feel of these overall, but I'm not sure the short irons are doing it for me. A combo set seems to be the way to go once I get my issues sorted out.

Toulon Palm Beach

Love the Raxr X Forged. Just picked up a set, but decided to soft step the KBS Tours X once. Perfect flight and better distance. Really solid feeling set of irons, flushed shots are not so muted you don't feel it and mis hits still give feedback while providing relatively solid distance and direction. Only one round under my belt with these but so far they are awesome.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1306935653' post='3277130']
I have to say, those clean cavity 07's look awesome. I had a set of tour issued 07's and still regret getting rid of them. I foolishly believed the hype and moved to the 09's for the re-designed sole... while they were not bad by any means I wish I had those 07's back. I need to look for a clean set of quad dots...
[/quote]

And I'm not sure if you remember, but I was one of the tire-kickers for your set, and I regret NOT buying them from you. I bought a set of TEE CNC Forged instead, which were nice, but nowhere as forgiving. If I had those 2007s I probably would never have gotten the Protos. I definitely like the 2007s debadged too.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='steeler4life' timestamp='1306935881' post='3277141']
Love the Raxr X Forged. Just picked up a set, but decided to soft step the KBS Tours X once. Perfect flight and better distance. Really solid feeling set of irons, flushed shots are not so muted you don't feel it and mis hits still give feedback while providing relatively solid distance and direction. Only one round under my belt with these but so far they are awesome.
[/quote]

Definitely agree for the most part, just wish I didn't hit mine so short. Glad you're enjoying yours though.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1306938019' post='3277215']
[quote name='steeler4life' timestamp='1306935881' post='3277141']
[/quote]

Definitely agree for the most part, just wish I didn't hit mine so short. Glad you're enjoying yours though.
[/quote]
I think the stiff KBS may just be too flexible for you. Mine came with KBS Stiff and they did fly noticeably higher at the range and seemed a bit shorter. The one thing I can say is that they are unbelieveably consistent feeling and very easy to control distance with.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]