2011 Compression Data

storm319

The new 2011 compression testing from golfballselector.com (not affiliated and don't really recommend but this data is very helpful)

There are many new 2011 balls missing, but it looks like they will be testing those in the future. Biggest surprise....B330-RXS overall compression in the high 70's and the softest cover tested. This literally makes it the softest urethane ball to date.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ThreeOnParFive' timestamp='1300456923' post='3066501']
[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1300456702' post='3066485']
What does MPI stand for in those tables?
[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing but can't find any explanation on the website about it.
[/quote]

"The MPI™ is the Mayes Performance Index™ – a patent pending golf ball rating method that establishes a standard performance index for distance, spin, feel, durability, and price allowing relative comparisons of golf balls and fitting to specific golfer profiles."

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

Top-Flite Gamer V2 (10) 2010 85 63 91 70 83 93

There are two averages listed for the Gamer, Majestix at 85 and Atti at 91.

Which one should a person look at?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='crazygolfnut' timestamp='1300847951' post='3079538']
Top-Flite Gamer V2 (10) 2010 85 63 91 70 83 93

There are two averages listed for the Gamer, Majestix at 85 and Atti at 91.

Which one should a person look at?
[/quote]

Does the current V2 Gamer really have an 85 or 91 compression? I though the Gamer V2 was suppose to be a more durable ball making it Harder than the original Gamer. I though the newer Gamer V2 ball would have a higher compression. I'm guessing the newer Gamer ball just has a harder cover than the original Gamer.

I guess I am confused. Here are the numbers for the gamers

Manufacturer Model Year - Avg MPI - Avg MPI - Avg MPI
109 Top-Flite Gamer (08) 2008 - 98 79 - 95 77 - 83 93
110 Top-Flite Gamer V2 (10) 2010 - 85 63 - 91 70 - 83 93

since all for formating does not copy well, you can find it on the attachment listed on one of the first postings. I just dont know how to make sense out of it.

:rolleyes:

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='crazygolfnut' timestamp='1300881473' post='3080247']
I guess I am confused. Here are the numbers for the gamers

Manufacturer Model Year - Avg MPI - Avg MPI - Avg MPI
109 Top-Flite Gamer (08) 2008 - 98 79 - 95 77 - 83 93
110 Top-Flite Gamer V2 (10) 2010 - 85 63 - 91 70 - 83 93

since all for formating does not copy well, you can find it on the attachment listed on one of the first postings. I just dont know how to make sense out of it.

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

Forget the MPI, it is just a calculation based on each measurement. GBS.com uses two different machines to test compression and one for cover hardness. The Majestix measured an average compression of 85 and Atti an average of 91. The cover hardness measured an average of 83. So the Gamer V2 has a lower compression than the original. These numbers should be used to compare other balls within this test.

• 2 weeks later...

The data contains two entries for Z-star and Z-star X for 2009 versions. One entry is listed as Z star (without a dash) and the other Z-star (with a dash). The compression data is not the same for these entries.
Are there two different Z-star and Z-star X 2009 versions and if not does anyone know which entries are the correct ones?

[quote name='udd' timestamp='1301921087' post='3116673']
The data contains two entries for Z-star and Z-star X for 2009 versions. One entry is listed as Z star (without a dash) and the other Z-star (with a dash). The compression data is not the same for these entries.
Are there two different Z-star and Z-star X 2009 versions and if not does anyone know which entries are the correct ones?
[/quote]

I think it is a duplicate as those were not there last year and they haven't tested the 2011 ZStars yet. They also have two listings for the Nike Vapor. I wouldn't worry about it as the numbers are within a couple compression points.

I was given a Dz TM LDP Blacks for XMAS this year...I read the spin rate thing that was done a couple of years ago(it did VERY well in that test), and was wondering why it didn't get more love around here....now I know why.......compression tested at 117, which makes it one of the toughest balls to compress ever.....I play the 07 V1 right now, so that's about 27 compression points difference!

Very interesting stuff.

All the balls I like are around the same compression and cover hardness. My favorite golf balls are the Penta's, 2009 330-S's, 2009 Z-Star X's and the 2009 Prov1x's. All are around 103-106 compression while my ss is around 107-109.

Also explains why I couldn't get any distance out the TP Blacks or Tour i(z)'s. Based on my experience I'd need to be in the 115-120 range to properly compress these balls.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Storm, thank you for posting the data, I appreciate it. I like to put it into Excel and use it to find balls with similar data. I don't know how well that will work for real world though.

I use the Avg of each compression column to find balls within 3 points of both columns and with a cover hardness equal to or softer than a comparable ball.

For example, I tried the TP Red 2008 data (since it's a popular ball on this site). I used it's AVG numbers (95 and 92) to find balls that were within 3 points (92-98 and 89-95) with a cover hardness of 80 or less. The only ones that fit that criteria are:

2007 Bridgestone E5+ (97, 95, and 79)
2007 Titleist ProV1 (93, 95, and 78)
2010 Wilson FG Tour (93, 92, and 76)

3 balls met both of the AVG criteria, but not the cover hardness (although one is very close):

2008 Top Flite Gamer (98, 95, but 83)
2007 Srixon Z-URS (98, 95, but 81)
2007 Callaway HX Pearl (95, 94, but 87)

Several balls met only one of the compression (AVG) but did meet the cover hardness:
2008 B330-RX, 2006 B330-S, 2006 Nike One Platinum, 2006 ProV1, 2009 ProV1

I don't know if these will play close to the TP Red (never played any of these balls, including the TP Red), but it could be a starting point when trying to find a ball replacement.

With that said, my favorite ball was the Burner TP, but I also tried, and liked, the 2010 NXT Tour and 2009 Nike Tour D. Their compressions are not within 3 points of each other, so my comparisons, and this whole write up, are probably worthless.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1300452579' post='3066363']
The new 2011 compression testing from golfballselector.com (not affiliated and don't really recommend but this data is very helpful)

There are many new 2011 balls missing, but it looks like they will be testing those in the future. Biggest surprise....B330-RXS overall compression in the high 70's and the softest cover tested. This literally makes it the softest urethane ball to date.
[/quote]

The 2011 Z-star, and Z-StarXV have the softest covers ever on the market, but these are not in the test.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/Miyazaki Kena Back 6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD Tour AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 MKII 5-AW w/Steelfiber i100
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

[quote name='dansrixon' timestamp='1301940334' post='3117573']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1300452579' post='3066363']

[/quote]

The 2011 Z-star, and Z-StarXV have the softest covers ever on the market, but these are not in the test.
[/quote]

By softest I meant lowest compession which it definitely is. It happened to also have the softest cover tested, but I am sceptical of their cover testing considering they don't use the industry standard Shore D scale. We will see when they test the rest of the new balls for 2011.

I was given some ZStars this weekend by a rep at Golfsmith. I will say that they feel alot softer than the previous ZStar off the putter.

[quote name='sk373' timestamp='1302022354' post='3122181']
[quote]It happened to also have the softest cover tested, but I am sceptical of their cover testing considering they don't use the industry standard Shore D scale. [/quote]

why should that be cause for any skepticism? their scale, just like the Shore D scale, is a relative measure of hardness.
[/quote]

Some of the findings just make me question the accuracy of this method. For example, in this test the Callaway Diablo tested at 79 for cover hardness. The i(s) tested at 83. How is Callaway's softest urethane cover testing harder than their budget 2-piece surlyn cover? Callaway just happens to have Shore D findings on their site. The i(s) is 46D. They no longer have the 09 Diablo specs on their site but their softest surlyn ball is rated at 56D. Very different findings and I will trust the industry standard measurement system that has been used for 90 years over what ever GBS.com uses.

[quote]Some of the findings just make me question the accuracy of this method. For example, in this test the Callaway Diablo tested at 79 for cover hardness. The i(s) tested at 83. How is Callaway's softest urethane cover testing harder than their budget 2-piece surlyn cover? Callaway just happens to have Shore D findings on their site. The i(s) is 46D. They no longer have the 09 Diablo specs on their site but their softest surlyn ball is rated at 56D. Very different findings and I will trust the industry standard measurement system that has been used for 90 years over what ever GBS.com uses. [/quote]

i understand where you are coming from. this may help explain the discrepancy (from [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer"]wikipedia's article on Shore durometer[/url]):

[quote]The final value of the hardness depends on the depth of the indenter after it has been applied for 15sec on the material. If the indenter penetrates 2.54 mm (0.100 inch) or more into the material, the durometer is 0 for that scale. If it does not penetrate at all, then the durometer is 100 for that scale. It is for this reason that multiple scales exist. Durometer is a dimensionless quantity, and there is no simple relationship between a material's durometer in one scale, and its durometer in any other scale, or by any other hardness test.[/quote]

from [url="http://www.golfballtest.org/?cat=14"]GBS's website[/url] regarding their cover hardness test:

[quote]Cover Hardness is a measurement of how much the golf ball’s surface indents when a constant load is applied to it. It is an indication of how a golf ball feels around the green. The lower the rating the more the ball indents and feels softer, the higher the rating the less the ball indents and feels firmer.[/quote]

fwiw, while the Tour i(s) has greater greenside spin, the 09 BB Diablo *feels* softer to me--it's practically a marshmallow.

it seems to me that the scales may be measuring different things, since the lower Shore D rating of the Tour i(s) certainly corresponds to its greater greenside spin characteristics.

[quote name='sk373' timestamp='1302026487' post='3122495']

fwiw, while the Tour i(s) has greater greenside spin, the 09 BB Diablo *feels* softer to me--it's practically a marshmallow.

it seems to me that the scales may be measuring different things, since the lower Shore D rating of the Tour i(s) certainly corresponds to its greater greenside spin characteristics.
[/quote]

The 09 Diablo will feel softer on most shots because it is nearly 40 compression points lower overall than the i(s). Both scales are measuring the same thing which is cover hardness. I don't want to argue and I know you are just trying to be Devil's Advocate. All of this data should be taken with a grain of salt and not taken as fact which is exactly what I am doing.

[quote]The 09 Diablo will feel softer on most shots because it is nearly 40 compression points lower overall than the i(s). Both scales are measuring the same thing which is cover hardness. I don't want to argue and I know you are just trying to be Devil's Advocate. All of this data should be taken with a grain of salt and not taken as fact which is exactly what I am doing. [/quote]

i'm not just "trying to be devil's advocate".

i quoted what GBS's own site states about what they are measuring in terms of cover hardness. on and around the green, compression matters diddly squat in terms of feel, and that's what i was referring to, even if i may not have been completely clear about it.

hence, they may not be measuring quite the same thing, since Shore D rating does not seem to correlate strongly regarding greenside feel, but definitely correlates well regarding greenside spin.

it seems that based on my experience, GBS's measurements may correlate well regarding greenside feel--which is what they *said* they were measuring.

in other words, they may be looking for different characteristics regarding cover hardness.

[quote name='sk373' timestamp='1302038905' post='3123348']
[quote]The 09 Diablo will feel softer on most shots because it is nearly 40 compression points lower overall than the i(s). Both scales are measuring the same thing which is cover hardness. I don't want to argue and I know you are just trying to be Devil's Advocate. All of this data should be taken with a grain of salt and not taken as fact which is exactly what I am doing. [/quote]

i'm not just "trying to be devil's advocate".

i quoted what GBS's own site states about what they are measuring in terms of cover hardness. on and around the green, compression matters diddly squat in terms of feel, and that's what i was referring to, even if i may not have been completely clear about it.

hence, they may not be measuring quite the same thing, since Shore D rating does not seem to correlate strongly regarding greenside feel, but definitely correlates well regarding greenside spin.

it seems that based on my experience, GBS's measurements may correlate well regarding greenside feel--which is what they *said* they were measuring.

in other words, they may be looking for different characteristics regarding cover hardness.
[/quote]

Both methods are doing the same thing but are just worded differently (both use the word "indent". There is no way to test for different playing characteristics when both are simply poking a something into plastic cover and seeing how deep it goes.

Your statement about compression is not accurate. Yes, core compression has little or nothing to do with the feel around the greens, but overall compression which takes into account all layers does. Urethane balls tend to have a thinner cover being compressed against a mantle layer which is the hardest part of the ball. Soft surlyn balls generally have a thicker cover compressing against a much soft core rather than a hard mantle which is why you may perceive it to feel softer on low impact shots. However, it does not mean that it has a softer cover.

[quote]Your statement about compression is not accurate. Yes, core compression has little or nothing to do with the feel around the greens, but overall compression which takes into account all layers does. Urethane balls tend to have a thinner cover being compressed against a mantle layer which is the hardest part of the ball. Soft surlyn balls generally have a thicker cover compressing against a much soft core rather than a hard mantle which is why you may perceive it to feel softer on low impact shots. However, it does not mean that it has a softer cover. [/quote]

wrong, not when you are talking about shots on and around the green. when chipping and putting, you aren't compressing the ball nearly enough for overall ball compression to matter much in terms of feel.

• 1 month later...