Boomerang, my review

sleuth

I thought I would post my own review/testimonial to support Alex and his product.

I want to start by saying that Alex, the creator of the Boomerang is a great guy. Easy to communicate with, prompt responses and more than helpful. I was in an awkward situation and had to have Alex re-route the package 2 different times to a different address. He did this without a problem at no additional cost all from Australia.

Getting to the Boomerang itself, I probably had the same response as most of you. Upon opening the package I saw how small and simple the tool was. First thing that came to mind was, is this it? The putting surface (St Andrews) is pretty thin and somewhat cheap/delicate. I unrolled it from its plastic package and noticed a lot of wrinkles. I knew this would take some time to flatten out. I was wiser than some of the prior reviewers here because I chose not to iron it due to the thin material. Although it did have wrinkles on the surface the ball still rolled straight. Even though it sounds like I'm nagging about the putting surface the ball does roll straight and true. It's supposedly stimped at 11.5 and I can say that is pretty accurate. Plus with how small and thin the material it is, it is super easy to roll up and store and takes little to no space. The surface works both efficiently on carpet as it does on a hard surface like tile/wood. Of course it's better off on a flat hard surface. I used it on a pretty thick carpet and have to constantly stamp down areas to straighten the putting surface. It's just one minor nuisance, but not enough to deter me from the product.

The ramp itself is very basic and simple. The height and cup can both be adjusted based on your desired settings. From a difficult to very difficult setting. There's really no easy setting because, well, it's not easy! I think anyone who has the product can tell you that.

So after opening the package and realizing that I may have spent a bit too much money, I tested it out for a few strokes. I was not good, at all. The ball would roll off the ramp because I wasn't hitting it straight, or I hit it too soft or too hard. I shrugged it off and set it aside telling myself I'd give it another go later. I mean, all I'm doing is hitting the ball up a ramp, right? That was about 2 weeks ago and I played this past Monday. I recorded an abysmal 22 putts after 9 holes. That makes 4, 3 putts in just 9 holes. I was embarrassed and in disbelief. I just had no control over the distance whatsoever. I devoted the next 5 days/nights on the Boomerang. I probably spent a good 2 hours each day on the Boomerang. I went from being horrible at this system to somewhat respectable. I tried to take full advantage of the tool. I adjusted the heights of the ramp, putted from varying distances throughout the surface and tried to get a good gauge of the speeds. As anyone can tell you, it's a difficult tool. It's incredibly difficult to putt consistently enough over and over to get consecutive lag putts into the shallow cup. It's just as difficult hitting the ball back as well. If you don't hit the ball straight on it'll just graze the ball and roll back to you. The first ball will remain in the cup. If you hit it way too hard it'll bounce off the ball you just hit and stay in the cup too. Speed management is the key with this tool.

I tested out the results of the system out on the greens yesterday. I got there early because I knew the greens probably wouldn't be playing at the Boomerang speeds. I spent about 20mins on the practice green getting a good idea of the speeds that day. Lets just say I was totally pleased and shocked with the results at the same time. I was all over the cup. I racked up a total 15 putts on the front 9 and 17 on the back 9. I would say that's an improvement over the 22 earlier that week. The results speak for themselves. It was pretty incredible. I was hitting putts within 6" of the cup consistently. I can't remember the last time I was putting so well and consistently. Probably not since High School when I played competitively 10-12yrs ago. That's when I had the time and luxury to practice nearly everyday.

I've read some reviews on this board and I have come to a couple conclusions myself that I'd like to share to those who are considering this product.

1. Yes it does look like a cheap product. The value (for me) is worth way more. I spent $40 for mine, however, the older model is $30 and cheaper on ebay even. Comparable putting surfaces in this price range are worse than this and will do less to improve your putting stroke and distance management.

2. People complain that it's just a ramp and doesn't help with distance control. Not every product is for everyone and there will be those who are unhappy. In its simplest form the Boomerang is a putting mat with a ball returner. It's not nearly as loud as an auto returner and actually functions better than any mat/returner I've tried in that price range. It rolls better and returns the ball just as efficiently. If i was choosing between a comparable mat with ball returner and Boomerang, I choose the Boomerang.

3. With the length of the putting surface, and the adjustability of the ramp, my best guess is that it can be used to hone your putting stroke for putts within a 5ft - 25ft range. I'd like to see another putting surface be able to deliver such a variability.

4. People may ask, why don't I practice lag putts on real grass at a local course or practice facility? I don't have the time or energy to go to a local course everyday and practice my putting stroke on real grass. I wish I could, but I have other obligations and this is the next best thing. I use the Boomerang while I'm at home between breaks, watching TV or just when I'm plain bored. It's very convenient.

The Boomerang is actually pretty fun to use too. It's not boring and monotonous because you can make some slight adjustments. This is the only putting surface that actually had me making some slight changes to my putting stroke in order to lag putts into the system. I'm 100% happy with the results. I forsee myself using this product for years, especially during the winter time just to keep my stroke in check.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='watty' timestamp='1304996997' post='3220861']
Would laying the mat out in the warm sun help get the creases pretty quickly? That;s what I'll be doing when mine arrives.
[/quote]

Hey Watty,

No creases - not anymore! So if you can't use your new Carnoustie 12ft-er within two minutes of opening the package, I'll eat it!

As you probably know, the old Tour model came in a box with a folded mat, and thus began the mat wars! But what you may not know is the last Tour model rolled off the production line in 2001, and we've come a long way since then. All our mats are rolled now so there's not a crease in sight. The Boom has changed significantly too, constantly evolving in response to customer feedback.

Should you somehow manage to crease up your Carnoustie, which I guess could happen if there's a toddler or pet in the house, then leaving it in the sun should return it to it's original state as it's a woven poly product. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though because I'm exceptionally proud of the new Carnoustie Mats. The St Andrews Mat is also very good for what it is, but it's a budget product, simply speed, colour and an alignment aid in something that rolls up and weighs virtually nothing. I know from experience that this mat can be mistreated and still works, as I have both toddlers and pets and I leave it lying around for my girls to use whenever they want.

I've got my knife and fork at the ready, just in case, but let me know how you get on once the new Carnoustie arrives.

Cheers,

Alex

[quote name='philsRHman' timestamp='1305080121' post='3223794']
I bought mine 2.5 years ago and like the concept, but I still can't get the creases out of the mat. If anything, it's gotten worse over time, rather than flatten out. I'm interested in the rolled mat. Any consideration of a "trade up" deal for those of us who battled the wrinkles all these years?
[/quote]

PM sent.

I tried the boomerang during the winter after reading reviews and thought it would help my aim and consistency. But I had mixed feelings about the concept and results.

I feel as though I am pretty good putter, but the boomerang seemed to really mess with my speed and ability to get the ball to the hole. I don't think I was using it wrong, but when I got to the real putting green I was having a terrible time getting the ball to the hole.

I tried changing the difficulty/depth of the hole on the boomerang, but the concept just didn't work for me. I was leaving a lot of puts short and not getting anything to the hole after practicing with the boomerang. Maybe its just my putting style, or how I read the greens, but trying to die the ball into the hole with just enough speed to roll over the front edge really messed with my putting.

Don't want to knock the product, but it just didn't work for my putting. Maybe I am missing the concept, or using it incorrectly, but I had a hard time on real putting greens after practicing with the boomerang. For me, I would rather have a putt coming back at the hole (within reason) knowing it had a chance of going in the first time, rather then leaving a putt short and not giving it a chance. I am sure it will work for some people, and is a sound practice device but I couldn't get the results I had hoped for.

Hey jbird,

Thanks for the post, and the honest feedback.

When I do get a complaint, which is rare these days, it usually reads something like: "The bloody thing doesn't work, I'm very disappointed..." and if it does come, it will be within a day or two of the customer opening the package. I wouldn't put you in the same category though because a) you didn't contact me with a knee-jerker, and b) you obviously gave your Boom a good work out before saying something.

Just by the by, I'm never far away by email ([email protected]) but there is a the time difference because I'm in OZ. PMs I've never been 100% with, but emails always get a reply. And if anyone else ever gets stuck, or can't get to the next level, I want to hear about it right away. My policy is you're not just buying a Boom, you're buying my expertise too, and I will work with any customer to see they get the most out of the product, and their putting.

If you're up for it, I'd like to offer you the same service, and not just cause I'm a nice guy. Far from it, I've got a fiendish ulterior motive... You see, if I can sway you, then your word of mouth will be my best advertising - bar none! I don't even care if it was the 2000 Tour model with the folded carpet that Steve sells on eBay, I'd just love a chance to work with you and show you that if I can get you to crack the Boom, (which I reckon has a learning curve on par with the Rubic's Cube), that you'll walk on to each and every green, more confident than the previous one, due to a compound effect.

If you want to do it, and you've obviously got an open mind, let me know and we can work toward the goal of getting your distance control spot on, by email. I would do it here, it's not that it's a secret or anything, it's just that it will make for a big reveal at the end when we succeed, and I'm 100% confident that's where we'll be in 30 days or less. Please give me a shot.

Anyway, that's my challenge extended, if you've still got the device, I can get you knocking them dead from anywhere - and poor distance control will be nothing more than what non-Boom owners moan, but do nothing about. Reading a green - that comes with experience as you know, but confidence in your line and distance control will soon have you at the head of the class in that department too.

Ready when you are...

Cheers,

Alex

[quote name='Jbird90' timestamp='1305109643' post='3224393']
I tried the boomerang during the winter after reading reviews and thought it would help my aim and consistency. But I had mixed feelings about the concept and results.

I feel as though I am pretty good putter, but the boomerang seemed to really mess with my speed and ability to get the ball to the hole. I don't think I was using it wrong, but when I got to the real putting green I was having a terrible time getting the ball to the hole.

I tried changing the difficulty/depth of the hole on the boomerang, but the concept just didn't work for me. I was leaving a lot of puts short and not getting anything to the hole after practicing with the boomerang. Maybe its just my putting style, or how I read the greens, but trying to die the ball into the hole with just enough speed to roll over the front edge really messed with my putting.

Don't want to knock the product, but it just didn't work for my putting. Maybe I am missing the concept, or using it incorrectly, but I had a hard time on real putting greens after practicing with the boomerang. For me, I would rather have a putt coming back at the hole (within reason) knowing it had a chance of going in the first time, rather then leaving a putt short and not giving it a chance. I am sure it will work for some people, and is a sound practice device but I couldn't get the results I had hoped for.
[/quote]
Hey jbird,

I'm assuming this is a common problem for some people. The Boomerang mat rolls faster than any public golf course. Remember the product is stimped at around 11.5. I find the transition from putting from fast greens to slow greens far easier, than the other way around. So this is probably why the Boomerang works for me.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

I bought mine 2.5 years ago and like the concept, but I still can't get the creases out of the mat. If anything, it's gotten worse over time, rather than flatten out. I'm interested in the rolled mat. Any consideration of a "trade up" deal for those of us who battled the wrinkles all these years?
[/quote]

I have the new one with the rolled up mat and it still has creases. Ill try putting it in the sun.

MB

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

I have an old mat, and while it can be a pain, i usually just use my old college textbooks to get it to lay flat. I've just learned to deal with it I guess.

I don't use the boomerang for true speed control..... that's best left to the greens.... plus it will mess with your brain since the ramp accounts for several feet in the real world.

What I do use it for is line.... best practice you can do at home, IMO, is to learn how to putt the ball straight (duh) since you'll never be able to truly recreate green conditions. I have a sharpie line on the mat that I putt down, plus the ramp gives extra feedback in the form of the ball going up at an angle then not always coming back to your feet. I do try to die it into the cup, but that just adds another layer of fun to the boring practice. My record is currently 4 complete cycles (in on one and knock it out with the second). Adds a little bit of pressure to the putt when you're doing this as well.

The biggest plus of the boomerang is being able to stroke a lot of putts in a short amount of time with only two balls.

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1305123141' post='3224733']
[/quote]

I have the new one with the rolled up mat and it still has creases. Ill try putting it in the sun.

MB
[/quote]

MB, That's disturbing. I really don't want to eat Watty's mat - can you send me a photo?

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1305126681' post='3224863']
I have an old mat, and while it can be a pain, i usually just use my old college textbooks to get it to lay flat. I've just learned to deal with it I guess.

I don't use the boomerang for true speed control..... that's best left to the greens.... plus it will mess with your brain since the ramp accounts for several feet in the real world.

What I do use it for is line.... best practice you can do at home, IMO, is to learn how to putt the ball straight (duh) since you'll never be able to truly recreate green conditions. I have a sharpie line on the mat that I putt down, plus the ramp gives extra feedback in the form of the ball going up at an angle then not always coming back to your feet. I do try to die it into the cup, but that just adds another layer of fun to the boring practice. My record is currently 4 complete cycles (in on one and knock it out with the second). Adds a little bit of pressure to the putt when you're doing this as well.

The biggest plus of the boomerang is being able to stroke a lot of putts in a short amount of time with only two balls.
[/quote]

I like the ingenuity with the textbooks, I really do. I unpacked my last remaining Tour model the other day, having kept one as a momento. When I took it out and looked at those creases though, I wonder how so many of you guys ever got past them...

I like the feedback above on line and distance too. But, with all respect, I just wonder if you've utilized what I reckon is by far and away the Boom's best feature. And that is to practice the distance control technique demonstrated side on in this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Gdwd3wGEw

The Boomerang technique is a synchronization drill, nothing more, nothing less. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who get a Boom, and then don't teach themselves the technique to master it. I liken that to having a Ferrari and only driving it in second or third gear. And if you've never used your Boom with a video camera before, then your supercar is basically stuck in first. Back when I was a kid, the Rubic Cube was all the rage. But it quickly divided us into those who tried to work it out and failed. Those who tried and succeeded and those who tried, failed, then cheated and bought the how-to book. I could get two sides, no problem, I admit I bought the book, but at least I cracked it!

I've just posed the question, over in OZgolf - ...what are you afraid of? Do you think a practice drill will lead to you never being able to hit another good putt? If so, let me assure you there is no one who knows BoomTech, who also knows how to transpose it, who doens't putt the nuts off the ball.

If you've tried, but can't. That's a different story. In which case I'm here to help, you only need ask. Mind reading gets me into too much trouble these days ;-) A couple of pointers and you'll be on your way.

If you've got the time, I can teach anyone how to do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUsK-Id4oA I can also teach you how to apply it to every regular putt you have.

I'm here, [email protected] for anyone who needs help.

Cheers,

Alex

[quote name='sleuth' timestamp='1305122899' post='3224723']
Hey jbird,

I'm assuming this is a common problem for some people. The Boomerang mat rolls faster than any public golf course. Remember the product is stimped at around 11.5. I find the transition from putting from fast greens to slow greens far easier, than the other way around. So this is probably why the Boomerang works for me.
[/quote]

You nailed it! Remember my golden rule - alwasy practice on the speed on which you intend to play, or you'll come unstuck. It is useless to practice on lightning, then go play on treacle. And visa versa.

Having said that, the way we translate BoomTech to a regular putting surface should still get you in the ball park. If you've got a choice of surfaces though, pick a regular putting mat for slow conditions, use one of ours for Fast!

Sorry, here comes another clip -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWTLBiSBDM

Notice the difference in speeds. My first ever Boom, the Tournament model, had a built in stimpmeter to make selecting a suitable surface easy as pie. It was 3ft long and weighed 2kg and we retired it in 1999 though. I kept one of those too, gosh I'm sentimental...

Cheers,

Alex

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Shane1' timestamp='1336978515' post='4909920']
Was thinking of buying this product, but really need a regular putting mat. Any ideas or info on where I get hold of one???
[/quote]
I'm looking to get a Big Moss myself. They're based out of IL and I could always stop by and see the product in person.

Another favorite around here is True Links. A bit more pricey though.

For the budget conscience people seem to like Birdie Ball. I can't get over it being a foam pad. Couldn't I just make this myself? Anyway, I will continue to question it's durability and longevity.

Good luck.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1337044238' post='4915414']
Just didn't like mine. My mat came rolled but it had a huge curl toward the middle, so every putt automatically went middle. I tried everything and couldn't fix it. Useless, to be honest. And putting on a ramp did nothing to help lag putting. There's no ramp on a putting green. YMMV, I guess.
[/quote]
I don't care for the mat myself. After owning the item for an extended period, it's pretty worthless. I put it away for storage, especially when I have a kid that gets everywhere. It's super frustrating trying to get the surface flat with wrinkles everywhere. This is why I'm looking for a better putting surface.

The ramp itself I think is useful. Take it for what it's worth. It helps you practice a stroke for certain lengths, which I like. At it's highest setting it's supposed to mimic a 28 ft putt or so. Do you have a 28 ft putting surface somewhere? I use the Boomerang specifically to practice my rhythm and tempo at its varying settings. Putting is more repetition than anything. I can actually care less what the designated distances are on each setting of the Boomerang. I just hit the ball to get a feel for my stroke.

I recently got fitted on a SAM PuttLab. It told me I have a very good stroke, and it's consistent. My alignment was 0.1* closed of the center of cup, and my position at impact was 0.1* closed at impact. I was setting up and striking the ball near perfect. I'd like to think the Boomerang helped me repeatedly practice my stroke over and over and develop a good rhythm that I'm confident with.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

I'm not sure if my ramp is defective or it's just the craftsmanship, but the notches the and metal bar don't sit flush. So my ramp actually falls down quite a bit.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

• 3 months later...

[quote name='sleuth' timestamp='1337116612' post='4920476']
I'm not sure if my ramp is defective or it's just the craftsmanship, but the notches the and metal bar don't sit flush. So my ramp actually falls down quite a bit.
[/quote]

Hi Sleuth,

Sorry, just noticed your post.

The notches are only guides. [url="http://www.boomgolf.com/instructions.htm"]www.boomgolf.com/instructions.htm[/url] on the instructions page it says you need a small piece of tape to hold it in place. The idea is, if you stand on your boom by accident, you'll be able to fix it with a bit of DIY.

Cheers,

Alex

PS - Just had a chap go from this

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4k9psK2ok[/media]

to this

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4k9psK2ok[/media]

in only 18 days. Chalk and cheese.

Wasn't a huge fan of this product but it served its purpose. Didn't like the mat that came with it, but my kitchen carpeting is pretty solid. The ball tends to jump when it hits the ramp and it knocks it off course I feel. If you are looking to work on grooving a consistent stroke where you can hit the same putt over and over in bunches then this is perfect. Helped big time with the consistency of my stroke which ultimately is what it is supposed to do. Distance control/lag putting/match play style putting? Not so much for me but straight putts with a consistent grooved stroke? Absolutely.

Wasn't a waste of money, but not a game changer either for me, just a good practice aid.