The worst experience at a golf store

slicer365

how were you compensated
This story is quite screwed up, so bare with me. It's a product of being a club ho.

I went to Golf Galaxy to have my 3+, 4, and 7 woods reshafted with a V2 shaft 70 grams. Upon my return to the store, it turns out that they installed 60 gram shafts in all clubs. So I tell them about it, and as I was just about to leave, I found a deal on some SQ fairway woods barely used and decided to get a Rapture Hybrid, so I traded all my clubs in for 2 SQ 3 & 5 woods and the Hybrid, and told them to put the shafts in the SQ's and just to give me credit for the other shaft. They did and so in about a week the shafts arrive and so I went to pick the clubs up, I had already paid for the clubs in my trade transaction previously and was just picking my clubs up, however, the cashier who checked me out wanted to see some proof of purchase, and of course i didn't have it, and was under the assumption they had some sort of record of this. So after about 10 minutes of dispute and making me feel pretty much like a criminal they let me walk out with my clubs. So when I get home, I then notice some rattling in my 5 wood and then see there was a spot where some paint had been singed off the crown of the head, in the process of replacing my shaft.

At this point my blood pressure was at it's peak, as you can imagine, and just as I was about to explode, one of the managers called me back who helped me initially from day one, he was very cool about it and said it was totally his fault and he should have taken note that I did pay for this transaction. I was very upset and I just let him have it, in our conversation he promised me a $40 gift card, I also made a few negative references to a couple of his employees, however he made a mistake in identity on one of them and evidently it got back to him, mistaken identity guy then confronted me as if he wanted to step outside and fight.

So a long story short, I ended up with $20 gift card, a brand new SQ 5 wood, and a bruised ego. I will never shop at Golf Galaxy again. :drinks:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for telling us which location, that's KGK's store of choice since he is The Woodlands, I go in there quite a bit, they have great deals on used sticks at that location.

I will warn you guys who have not heard but don't go and use the repair services at the Willowbrook location. I know one of the guys there and he is a butcher. I hate to say this but I feel like I would be doing a disservice if I did not let you guys know.

That store is terrible. It's a bunch of high school kids and retirees working there. I asked someone how my shafts (was a Fuji 757 and Pro95) compared to the V2. Never heard of those shafts. Huh??? If you are going to go to a retail shop, don't go to this one. Golfsmith on I-45 is just down the road, and they much more knowledgable. Even better is the Golfsmith on Westheimer and Beltway 8. That clubmaker is great. Highlander Golf was so much better. I think that guy now has a place on I-45 near Olive Garden.

One other thing. I had them put a pull out 43" V2 Fairway shaft in a 980F Strong at this GG location and told them I wanted it as long as possible and that I didn't care if the abraded part showed above the hosel. It was a pull out of a 906F2. Well, not only did it play 5 wood length, they tipped it without calling me and told me when I came to pick it up. Why did they tip it, so the abraded part wouldn't show.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

I'm sure if we forwarded this post to the corporate office. Most everybody in that store would lose their job.

They tried to fool me into thinking that installing a steel shaft into an FT hybrid (Callaway) was virtually impossible. The former head pro up there made a mistake and didn't make the 45* cut that is necessary to fit the head which is bore thru, before installing the shaft. So they were in the back trying to pull the shaft before I got to the store, I even noticed them making a trip to Target to buy some pliers, in efforts to pull the shaft, before I walked into the store. They did all this thinking that I would not know what they were up to. So they then presented me with the problem and offered me a new club.

I appreciate the compensation, but I'd just like them to do it right for once.

I warn anybody who uses stores like GG to modify your clubs. Find out from your local club if there is anybody in your area who works on clubs before you make a mistake like I did. I missed out on an outing with my father in law over their ridiculous excuse for club repair.

I HAVE BEEN TO A FEW IN CLEVELAND...IN MY ESTIMATION THEY R TOO EXPENSIVE AND THEY BUG THE CRAP OUTTA YA! IF YOU WANT TO BUY CLUBS STICK TO EBAY. IF YOU WANT SOLID REPAIRS GO TO GOLFSMITH OR GOLFWORKS!!

Taylor Made M4 Project X HAZRDS
Ping I20 5-pw
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 3,4 iron
Titleist Vokey SM6 54,60
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red putter
Titleist 917f 3 wood

i had a small problem with golfsmith. i stopped in to get two shafts pured. the catch is that i wanted them sent to my house after they were pured and NOT back to the store so that I'd have to pick them up. anyways, the next day, i received the shafts on my front doorstep. turns out they forgot the whole puring part and just sent me my shafts. i called, and the representative that i dealt with turns out to live 5 minutes from my house. i leave the shafts on his doorstep. a month later, no one word from anyone from golfsmith. i made a bunch of calls and apparently the shafts had been shipped back to the store instead of my house. again, that one represenative helped me out. he brought the shafts to his house for me to pick up. when i went to pick up the shafts, he wasnt home. i found my two pured shafts along with $30 worth of TM TP black balls. I spent $30 on the puring. Due to this one sales representative, i will continue to go to golfsmith even though im not a huge fan of those large golf chains. i am definitely a bigger fan of golfsmith than GG. the people at GG won't get off your back to buy something and as soon as they find out that you are "just looking" they abandon you completely.

oh, also, one of the guys at golf galaxy kept trying to tell me that the FT-3 had more topspin than the SQ I was trying. I was trying to give the guy a physics lesson in the middle of my testing session and he was stuck on the fact that he thought a driver produces topspin...slicer365, i would hope you are right about corporate headquarters trying to get new employees. however, the only reason that I try to use GG and golfsmith to buy things is if either are having a big sale and i already know what I want.

I doubt GG will ever change employees. They relish in the fact that they can pay Johnny School Boy minimum wage to do shotty workmanship on club repair. The reason they can do this is because they have 70 other stores nationwide and suckers like us keep going back.

The only reason I shop at GG is it's close to my house and their trade in program is great.

Former GG PGA Professional here...

Unfortunately, I have had a bad experience with the company as well...

I think they have a great concept, but they don't execute and the bottom line is what it is all about...

Turnover rate of their PGA Professionals is not good...

I typically don't like to trash talk anyone, but it is very easy to do with this organization...

• 2 weeks later...

Slicer,

You have any experience with Jim McGee? He's a club builder that's got a recently new shop on southbound I-45 near Olive Garden. I want to say that he's the guy that was at Highlander Custom Golf.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28