2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Reshaft G5's with DG S300 or SL300, opinions?

TCNorthstars

Coming from Reg CS lites
I am starting to get annoyed with my regular flex cs lites going a mile in the air. I had played stiff shafts in the past(trispec) and thought I could/would slow down a bit with regular flex shaft. Bad experiment, especially with these shafts.

I would like to re-shaft with either DGS300 or DGSL300. Which way should I go? Assuming that my sw is D0 currently, how much weight would I have to the tip to get back to my D0 swing weight? That also assumes using the same grips.

I have never changed shafts myself, but want to try this time. What tips or tricks should I be aware of? Torch or heat gun?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TCNorthstars' timestamp='1308062353' post='3306151']
I am starting to get annoyed with my regular flex cs lites going a mile in the air. I had played stiff shafts in the past(trispec) and thought I could/would slow down a bit with regular flex shaft. Bad experiment, especially with these shafts.

I would like to re-shaft with either DGS300 or DGSL300. Which way should I go? Assuming that my sw is D0 currently, how much weight would I have to the tip to get back to my D0 swing weight? That also assumes using the same grips.

I have never changed shafts myself, but want to try this time. What tips or tricks should I be aware of? Torch or heat gun?

Thanks
[/quote]

CS Lite Regular is a rather light shaft (overall mass). If you keep the length the same, with DGSL S300, you should be pretty close on swingweight. If you go to DG S300, you might gain a couple of swingweight points at the same length. Some say that the DGSL feels boardy, to each their own.

One shaft to consider is the TT Lite shaft. It plays about the same stiffness as the DG and DG SL, but it is in-between them in weight. I used to play DG S300 in all my irons, but they were just heavier than I like. The TT Lite, is essentially the ZZ-Lite, and the Z-Z65 shaft that is offered by ping. It has a mid ball flight, and plays right at 105g @ cut lenght. CS lite is about 97, DGSL is about 98, DG is about 120. I really like this shaft a lot.

Go demo a club with a z-z65, if you like it, you will like the TT lite. Plus they are only $8 a shaft.

Just be sure you order taper tip shafts, and not parallel tip shafts.

[b]THIS INFO IS FOR STEEL SHAFTS ONLY[/b] - Regarding pulling the shafts, PING really crams them in there. If you dont have a shaft pulling tool (I dont either) Use a propane torch, and put the hosel right where the inner blue flame is. Keep the shaft turning to heat all sides and soon it will "POP" which is the expoxy failing. Wear some safety glasses as it will shoot out of the end of the hosel. With the grips still on, you can then twist and extract the shaft by hand. With the head still warm, use a flat blade screwdriver and scrape all of the old epoxy out of the bottom of the hosel. Make sure to get it clean out of there. Clean all of the old epoxy out of the hosel walls using a steel hosel cleaning brush. Then use some acetone and clean all residue out of the hosels.

The hosels might discolor a bit from the heat, but it is OK. Get some stuff called "Bar Keepers friend" (found in supermarket by in the cleaning aisle) Its a powder. Make a paste out of it with water and put it on the hosels. Use a scouring pad and lightly buff it in to remove the discoloration. Use some latex gloves, it kinda irritates my skin.

Make sure to abrade the new taper tips shafts to get the chrome off and to give the epoxy something to cling to. I like Golfworks [b][u]ultimate flex epoxy[/u][/b]. It is grey in color and holds really well. When you put the shafts in, coat the inside of the hosel and the shaft tips, and then insert the shafts and tap them home to seat them. Be sure to wipe off any excess epoxy soon with an acetone soaked rag to get it off. Dont get actone on anything painted (i.e. the PING emblem) Let em dry for 24 hours and enjoy.

I used to game G5's with DG SL R300. Driver swing speed of about 95-100mph.

Dispersion was pretty bad and the ball flight was a bit too high.

I contemplated reshafting but decided to get G15's with Z-Z65 softstepped once. The Z-Z65 is a great shaft. Good penetrating ball flight.

Weighs a tad more than the DG SL as well. I didn't want DG because I wanted a lighter shaft. Z-Z65 is perfect for me.

[quote name='dieselglen' timestamp='1308072016' post='3306656']

Thanks
[/quote]

If you go to DG S300, you might gain a couple of swingweight points at the same length.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I always get confused by the swing weight stuff. When you I might gain a couple of points, does that mean it would go in the D2/3 direction or the C direction?

I made the mistake of once buying a used set of G5's with the CS Lite R flex shafts. I am fine playing R flex shafts, especially in steel, but I just did not like these shafts or this combo. My .02 cents is that you should simply sell or trade-in your G5's, and buy a set of G10's or G15's if you want to stay in that family. I guess you are planning on reshafting yourself, which saves on the labor (which can be pricey for reshafting irons), but you still have to buy the shafts. Anyway, through Discount Dans, the G10's are at a crazy low price, and you can presumably customize for the shaft you want. Going from the CS Lite R flex to DG S300's would be quite a change in weight, stiffness and ballflight.

Good luck whatever route you go.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

[quote name='TCNorthstars' timestamp='1308074513' post='3306785']

Thanks
[/quote]

If you go to DG S300, you might gain a couple of swingweight points at the same length.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I always get confused by the swing weight stuff. When you I might gain a couple of points, does that mean it would go in the D2/3 direction or the C direction?
[/quote]

It would likely go to the D2, D3 range. Its all alpha numerical. C8 < D0 < D2

[quote name='dieselglen' timestamp='1308076946' post='3306913']

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You wouldn't happen to know what the tip prep depth should be for the g5's would you?

[quote name='TCNorthstars' timestamp='1308077797' post='3306948']
[quote name='dieselglen' timestamp='1308076946' post='3306913']

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You wouldn't happen to know what the tip prep depth should be for the g5's would you?
[/quote]

The hosels are angled. I would say at least 7/8" possibly 1". Its really just best to match what you pull out. Without ferrules you need to stop the tip abrading slightly below the top of the hosel so you dont see it. above the epxoy line.

In some S59 irons, I went from CS Lite Stiff to DGS300's and they are completely different beasties. The S300's felt very stif in comparison to the CS Lites. I then switched to some R300HL's which felt good but were just a bit to soft and added too much spin. On windy days they were a real struggle!

I've since changed to some KBS Tour stiff, and these now feel spot on! Firm, yet not boardy or too stiff. The weighting, ballance and feel is good and the control of ball flight is good also. I picked the KBS shafts up as S56 pulls for with mint Ping grips for £40, which puts them in exactly the same ball park as S300 pulls.

If you are moving from CS Lite Reg flex, you'll need to give yourself a few weeks to get used to any of the above though!