Boomerang Putting Aide

taylormadefan

I recieved my Boomerang Putting Aid in the mail last Friday. I've been using it for about thirty minutes a day and I've got to say I'm incredibly impressed with it. I've seen some brief reviews of the Boomerang on the "other" golf site, and I wasn't horribly impressed. It seemed so simple, just lag the first putt in, and strike it out with the second. I was really wrong. The Boomerang is marked by simplicity in design, but extreme difficulty in execution. I'll try and explain this further.

What you get

The Boomerang comes in a package with the actual Boomerang unit, an 8 foot synthetic mat, and an instrucitonal "DVD."

When I say simple design, I mean it. When you first get the boomerang and see how it works, it's one of those, "Why couldn't I think of that!" moments. All it essentially is, is a ramp with a putting cup that's adjustable in depth. If you miss the putt, it comes rolling right back to you. If you "make it" you can strike it out with a second ball, and both golf balls come right back to your feet. There are no batteries, cords, cables, or need to go and retrieve balls even if you miss.

The key is the adjustable "putting cup:"

The whole base moves up and down on a screw. You can make the boomerang as difficult or as easy as you want just based on the screw. Setting it up is a breeze. All you have to do is start with the putting cup in a positon, take a ball, and drop it from the center of the cup. If the lip catches it, it's okay. If the ball rolls out, just turn it down a 1/2 to a 1/4 turn deeper. The base is also easy to center. When the ball is at rest on the lip, it should point to exactly six o'clock. If it does not, you can adjust the feet so that it does. Luckily that was not needed for me. :cheesy:

Using the Boomerang is straight forward. Just set it up, roll out the mat and hit putts. It sounds easy, however, the Boomerang requires what all good putters have, PERFECT line and PERFECT speed. The Boomerang produces what is difficult to achieve even on most practice greens- a perfectly straight putt. Not only that, when combined with the artifical mat, it retains that straight putt, but is also very fast. Easily close to a 10 or 11 on the "stimp." My pro always reccomends putting on fast greens because they're not forgiving for speed which in turn dictates line. All you guys who play on slow munis and some times struggle transitioning to fast greens like I do should take note. This is a consistently fast putting surface you can have in your house and simply roll up and store on a shelf when not in use. The speed of the system may be the boomerang's biggest benefit. Trust me, it takes perfect speed to stop a ball in the Boomerang if adjusted properly. A little too hard, and it will simply run through the cup and back down to your feet. Too soft, and it won't get there and again rolls right back to your feet. You need to just barely crawl the ball over the edge of the lip to get it to stop.

If you're a master at controlling your speed, it's still not enough to conquer the Boomerang. It also needs perfect line. The back of the cup is enclosed, so if you push, pull, hook, or slice your putts, "lipping out" is a real issue. Much like a real putt, you can make it with an improper path; however, it is exponentially more difficult than with proper lilne. I often struggle with short putts, either taking the club too far to the inside and hooking it, or not completing my follow through and pushing it. The Boomerang exposed my flaws immediately and really made me concentrate on making a good stroke towards the hole.

So once you hole your putt, you simply get another ball, and hit it as hard as you can right? Wrong. Although it is markedly easier to strike a ball out than it is to get the first one in the cup, you still must have decent speed and more importantly, proper line. If you get too far outside or inside, you will "lip out" the first ball, and end up with the second one sitting all alone at your feet. It takes a fair amount of concentration.

I've experienced a renewed sense of confidence in my putting stroke since "figuring out" the Utley on plane stroke, and I've been putting pretty well before recieveing the Boomerang. So wether or not the boomerang has been beneficial to my putting game remains to be seen. However, it is a lot of fun, and it is VERY challenging.

The Boomerang also came with an instruction sheet and a "DVD" which turned out to be a VCD. I tried playing it on my TV, and it didn't work, but in my laptop it worked perfectly. It is a short film that has tips on setting up, using the Boomerang, and tips on making a fundamentally sound putting stroke. It also has some games you can play like a timed challenge, but I made my own. I merged the ladder drill with the boomerang, placing two balls every foot all the way out and tried to make and strike out each. Really makes you focus on controlling your speed.

Honestly, when I first got the Boomerang, I wasn't expecting too much. It seemed easy. What I found was a fantastically simple and very effective putting aid that was very addictive. It's so easy to set up, and it's a lot of fun to use. It makes you focus on both line and speed which every golfer could use, and it provides a 12 foot putting surface that runs very fast which you can use year round for the price of around $40 shipped!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review. My Boomerang is over two years old...almost three and I love this thing. I don't practice with it enough.

If I remember right, the record for most balls in a row knocking out the ball before it is only 8 or 9, but anyone who has tried it knows just getting 3 or 4 in a row is pretty darn hard.

• 2 months later...

boomerang_pack1.jpg

Well it's been a few months since I've had my Boomerang and let me tell you...this sucker is addicting! In a good way!

It's a rather simple contraption consisting of an artificial turf mat...what the Boomerang folks call the "Carnoustie" which rolls at about a 11-12 on the stimpmeter and a plastic ramp. The ramp has a "cup" which can be adjusted in depth depending on how good you get with the Boomerang. The ramp angle itself can be adjusted to give the feel of different lenghts of putts.

The "object" if you can call it that is to putt a ball into the cup area without having it roll out. Then with a second ball you knock the first ball out. Let me tell you....sounds easy but it's not. This mat drove me nuts. It was like playing computer mini golf. It drives you nuts and is totally addicting.

My initial impressions upon using the Boomerang was that it was just awful. I couldn't get a ball to stay in the cup and if I did, I couldnt' knock it out. I wrote emails to my buddy beruo about how awful it was and that I probably got a defective one. I told him I hated it but at the same time I couldn't stop practicing on it. Actually the Boomerang was working perfectly. It was providing me immediate feedback. It was telling me how bad my stroke had deteriorated and that with work and practice, things could be much better for me.

To use the Boomerang properly, you must have perfect line and perfect speed on your putts. Unlike other putting mats and even real turf putting greens, you can get away with a putt that's too hard or in through the side door. The Boomerang will not allow you to get away with an imperfect stroke. If you do not stroke a ball perfectly, it will not stay in the cup. Sounds simple but it's not. Think of putting a ball and attempting to get it to stop on a quarter. That's about all you have when you have the Boomerang set up to it's most difficult level. :(

Since I've been using the Boomerang, I've gotten better where I've been able to move the depth of the cup up but I'm still not even close to breaking any Boomerang record of consecutive cup in's. I'm lucky to get four in a row. Yup..four in a row and this is after two months of practicing! :( But the results on the real greens is where I know the Boomerang has had it's effects. My distance control has been superb. My lag putts from thirty feet no longer worry me. My 5' in range has improved tremendously where I can actually step up to the ball and in my mind I call it my "best distance". Best of all, my misses have set me up for tap in's.

With a lot of you guys getting into your winter season's, pick up a Boomerang. It will definitely keep you occupied on those cold winter nights. You will find that time seems to scoot right buy as the Boomerang drives you nuts! Again..in a good way. You will find yourself addicted to trying to break the personal best you set for yourself. Best of all, I think you'll find like me, that when you get on the real grass greens you're stroke and confidence will have improved tremendously. :(

Hi PB808,

Many thanks for the top review :( I'm pleased you stuck with it, despite the hair pulling and cussing and are seeing the results now.

Just a quick note to point out the obvious, but when spring comes don't take the stroke you've honed on the tournament speed mat out onto slow greens or you'll come unstuck. If you're going to try and sneak in some early season rounds you're better off practicing parallel to the mat (for alignment) on a slower surface like living room carpet. Golden rule: always practice on the same speed you intend to play.

Thanks again for the great review.

:(

Alex

• 1 month later...

Oh the Boomerang. I got mine for Christmas, and after some time to use it I guess I can do a review. First off is I love this thing. For under 40 bucks shipped, it's worth every penny. Not a gimmick here either. Putting surface rolls about an 11 and after a little time to flatten out rolls true. Ramp is nice with its adjustable slope so you can simulate longer putts. The fact that you can alter the depth of the hole is also nice. I have been using it for around an hour a day since I've gotten it (easier with some Golf Channel in the background :) ). Now when I go to the course to practice, the short putts seem really easy because I've been working on putts in the 20-30 foot range. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Sounds interesting Alex. I'll PM you for details. I suspect theres a few over here that are put off by the shipping costs ($27 for a device and a mat). I can't wait to try one. I can putt 10/10 from 6ft here on the carpet into a ball return machine, but get me under a pressure condition on the course and I'm lucky to get 5/10! I'm hoping the boomerang will help!

[quote name='Herbert1804' post='840166' date='Dec 28 2007, 03:50 PM']Sounds interesting Alex. I'll PM you for details. I suspect theres a few over here that are put off by the shipping costs ($27 for a device and a mat). I can't wait to try one. I can putt 10/10 from 6ft here on the carpet into a ball return machine, but get me under a pressure condition on the course and I'm lucky to get 5/10! I'm hoping the boomerang will help![/quote]

Boomerang is sooooooooo much harder than ball return. More fun too.

• 8 months later...
Is Boomerang Golf still around?

I ask because www.boomgolf.com looks like the domain expired.

www.boomeranggolf.com is a different website than boomgolf.com was. Not sure what to make of that.

I'm not sure what happened with the site but www.boomgolf.com was the site that was initially associated with Golfwrx.

PM putting guru, a couple posts above, I think he will be able to get you one.

putting guru/Alex is the inventor of the Boomerang. Hopefully he'll log on soon since he's been away for awhile and see the new interest. I'm still using my boomerang...not coming close to breaking any consecutive record but still loving how it works. :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear from Alex as I ordered a Boomerang yesterday from the boomeranggolf.com site. I'd assumed he/they had moved the domain over and didn't bother to renew boomgolf.com.

That's still possible but when I paid for the order via Paypal, the contact for the order was Garage Sale Auctions (www.garagesalegolf.com). That seemed a bit odd to me. (Boomeranggolf.com does point non-US orders to www.boomgolf.com.)

Also, boomeranggolf.com lists the 8 foot mat. I was hoping for the 12 ft mat.

Anyway, hopefully Alex will be on this site soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to hear from Alex as I ordered a Boomerang yesterday from the boomeranggolf.com site. I'd assumed he/they had moved the domain over and didn't bother to renew boomgolf.com.

That's still possible but when I paid for the order via Paypal, the contact for the order was Garage Sale Auctions (www.garagesalegolf.com). That seemed a bit odd to me. (Boomeranggolf.com does point non-US orders to www.boomgolf.com.)

Also, boomeranggolf.com lists the 8 foot mat. I was hoping for the 12 ft mat.

Anyway, hopefully Alex will be on this site soon.

12 foot mat?

Are you trying to make it impossible?

Eight feet is plenty with this thing...You'll see.

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

Hi DF,

The record is now up to 15 in a row. There's $1000 if you can beat it!

That is sick.

Don't play this guy for money

Is the mat supposed to be shaped like a half pipe? When the balls come back to him, they seem to funnel back to the center. I'm just wondering since I've never used one of these.

Kevin

Hi DF,

The record is now up to 15 in a row. There's $1000 if you can beat it!

That is sick.

Don't play this guy for money

Is the mat supposed to be shaped like a half pipe? When the balls come back to him, they seem to funnel back to the center. I'm just wondering since I've never used one of these.

Kevin

Mine's not, but somehow all the high score videos seam to indicate a fair amount of 'creative' mat sculpting.

I actually have two, on upstairs with the eigth foot mat and one in the garage on an 'accelerator' mat. I use the accelerator by itself for chipping practice(long garage) and with the boomerang for putting.

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".