Callaway HX HOT

This ball is NOT for everyone! This ball is NOT for everyone!

Now that we got that out of the way. This is an excellent ball under certain conditions:

A) You have to be a high spin hitter

OR

B) The greens should be relatively soft--naturally or after rain.

The ball is very, very long. You don't have to guess whether or not you'll get it there. Believe me--you will!

Nike Vr Pro Limited 8* w/Matrix Black Tie 6m3
Nike Vr Pro Limited 15* w/Matrix Black Tie 7m3
Nike Vr TW Blades w/TT X100
Nike Vr Pro 54/58 w/S400
Nike Method Matter B1-07

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely agree that this ball is not for everyone. I gave these a try after talking with the cleveland sales rep in the area I live. He raved about how great these balls were. He said they were approximately 10 to 15 yards longer than anything he had ever played. He did warn me however that they didn't spin as much as others and he found that bunker shots really tended to roll out for him. So i bought a dozen and took them with me the next round i played. At first, i thought i liked them. I hit my 22 degree hybrid of the first two tees and had a gap wedge and a 7 iron into the greens respectively. Both were very comfortable yardages for me and i was long on both. I finally got to use my driver on the third hole, then a par three, then three more drivers. I was playing on a relatively new course with a state of the art GPS system on all of the carts, so i could see the yardages that i was hitting all of my shots. I did not get a single drive over 255 with these balls. I normally play titleists (v1's in warmer weather and when i'm really swinging well and nxt tours when its colder or i'm having swing issues) and i typically drive the ball in the 260 to 275 range. I even hit two tee shots on two of the holes with the same results, short. It just seemed that the ball wasn't carrying. I hit what i thought to be some good shots and the ball just dropped out of the sky. I got my brother in law to hit some shots with the hx hots (he is typically a 1/2 club to full club longer than me) and he had exactly the same results. I don't know my driver swing speed, but i remember when i was fitted for my irons a few years ago, i was in the 92 to 94 range with my five iron and my brother in law is faster than I am. Switched back to the nxt tours on the back nine and immediatly saw my normal distance with the driver. Not quite sure what was the problem. For me, these balls were maybe a half club longer in my irons but 15 to 20 yards shorter with my driver, same results for my brother in law. Callaway says that these balls work with a variety of swing speeds, seems to me that anything much more than 95 mph was much shorter in distance compared to my titleists. Another note, after swithing back to my titleists on the back nine my short game was a mess after getting used to the callaways, still not fully recovered. I have now tried callaways, nike and maxflis in the last two years but none perform nearly as well for me as titleists, maybe now i have finally learned my lesson and will stop experimenting with other balls. Sorry for rambling on so much and probably no one will care but i feel that i had to get that off of my chest. Only two stars in my opinion, stick with the titleists.

• 1 month later...

I would be happy to donate balls to someone who wants to write a review on these balls. Better yet - I can send a sampling of balls so a person can review and compare the balls on my dime.

Let me know

I'll take you up on that offer.

I played these on a few holes today and I don't think there is a longer ball out there.

I usually play a Pro V1 or HX Tour, and my Hcp is 9-10.

I was really hitting these into the ozone today, but I didn't really pay a lot of attention to the spin into the greens.

PM me!

• 1 month later...

"I would be happy to donate balls to someone who wants to write a review on these balls. Better yet - I can send a sampling of balls so a person can review and compare the balls on my dime.

Let me know"

I would also be happy to take you up on the offer. I hit some of the other Cally HX series balls (red and blue only), and found the HX Hot to be the best of those 3. Harder cover than the Blue or Red, and it does fly farther with the reduced spin. I know some people knock it on the green because of the harder cover. It does tend to roll more with the putter. I haven't taken notice of it on shots where I need to spin yet. I usually use a higher spin ball for Par 3. I'm sure I'll play these again next spring/summer. There a decent ball for the price. This is the only ball I've found that fits my game as good as the NXT Tour.

End of last year, my game was finally good enough to justify buying a dozen Pro V1's. Didn't like them all that much. Got a sleeve of new Pro V1X's that I haven't hit (I'm hoping for these perform well with my swing). Haven't tried the Nike One's yet, as I felt some of there other golf balls were terrible (Mojo).

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to send me a couple, I will write a review. These were suggested to me when I got fit for my driver. I am a high spin player and WILL NOT play the ProV1 because of how much they spin (the x is substantially better). I officially quit after I backed an 8-iron up 25 feet playing downwind on a par 3. Ball mark by the hole, ball not by the hole. I have not hit one yet, but I play Srixon Z-URs now and like the amount that they spin.

• 4 months later...

I have been playing this ball on the weekdays when i go out to the course to work on some shots. I am rather inpressed with it. I find it to be about a half a club longer than the HX.Tour. It gets pretty good spin on full shots into the green. I do not have to worry about them sucking back, they hit bounce once and stop. There is no greenside spin on chips, but I really do not expect to get any.

I think they feel pretty soft off of the putter and the wedges. For a 25 dollar golf ball they fit my game well. I will probably keep a dozen around at all time.

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^^Agreed, I foolishly bought 2 dozen of these balls based on other reviews. Played them for the first time yesterday, and they are indeed longer than the HX tour, noticeably so for me.

However, they don't stick or spin on the greens worth a damn. There's no reason why a perfectly hit 9-iron, ball landed below the pin, should release all the way to the rear fringe.

I'm gonna sell these balls to a beginner friend of mine, and stick with the HX.

• 5 weeks later...

I like this ball, but actually I ordered some AAAA (used) HX Red 3-piece. IMO, this is one of the best balls Cally ever made.

It's long, but doesn't check. That's why I keep a second ball in the bag (HX 56) when I want to check it up on Par 3s and when I think about it when I tee off...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 1 month later...

I like this ball, but actually I ordered some AAAA (used) HX Red 3-piece. IMO, this is one of the best balls Cally ever made.

I just ordered some of the used HX-red's as well. I'll post a review of the used balls somewhere on this site once I receive them. I was thinking about trying out the hx hot, but mostly i'm looking for something to replace the discontinued hx-red. If anyone's played both balls, I'd welcome a comparison. Even better, if anyone can recommend a replacement for the HX Red, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would be happy to donate balls to someone who wants to write a review on these balls. Better yet - I can send a sampling of balls so a person can review and compare the balls on my dime.

Let me know

ill take the offer... i would love to try out the bstone e5's and the nike platinums... pm me and when i get em ill send a review your way!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"]After having tried the Taylormade TP Red, Pro-V's, HX-Tour and HX Hot, have narrowed it down to the HX-Tour and HX-Hot. My clubs/swing tend to "fur up" a ball after one or two strikes. While th Pro-V is real durable both it and the TP have so much spin that anything other than a pure hit off the driver requires netting on both sides of the fairway.

The HX Tour is real manageable with a great feel and good spin, especially stopping power, on the greens, but again, they get trashed easily. The HX-Hot though seems to be a great ball for my swing. With a very fast swing speed off the driver, the ball just goes straight, straight, straight! It can be "worked" though, and does run on the greens, but that can be managed. The cover is tough and lasts longer than the others. There is no question that, for me, it does go about 15 yards longer than other spin balls.

• 4 weeks later...
These were not my cup of tea. They flew long and straight with the driver but I lost to many approaches off the back of the green. HX Hot + hard green = High Scores.

I picked up a sleeve of HX Hots and found the same thing. Seemed like the best approach was to take a club (or two) less than normal land the ball in front of the green and run it up if its a hard green. They are long though I reached a 540 yard par 5 in 2 for the first with this so I may have found my wet weather ball.

Callaway GBB 9° UST Proforce V2
TEE XCG7 15°Aerotech SS65
Adams XTD Ti 20° & 23° MRC Tensei Blue
Callaway XR Steele Head 5-A

Tryouts now open
Ping Karsten TR Pal or Yes! Tracy or Odyssey White Hot XG7 or...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I played one round with it. Some baselining info....

Driver swing speed = 90-95mph. My round was +14....which is on the high side for me but not excessively so.

I couldn't tell the difference between this ball, the Srixon Trispeed or the Titleist NXT. Drives and approach shots went about the same with all three. This ball seems to have a reputation for not holding greens. This wasn't my experience. It held on approach shots from 130 to 180 yards. I also didn't find this ball to run more than the others on chip shots.

After the three rounds, you could've put the labels from one onto the other and I couldn't have been able to tell the difference.

I watched my playing partner play this ball and the next round play a Titleist ProV1 (not sure which year). He seems to hit this ball noticeably farther than the ProV1 but his chip shots seemed to check up more w/ the ProV1.

• 4 months later...

I played these and have had no problems holding greens on approach shots. That goes for my 18 degree baffler, and my 3 iron on.

The only place where their lack of spin showed up is greeside. But I just adjust my target spot and use the roll to my advantage.

I think low trajectory players in dry conditions will find they need more spin. That has never been an issue with me, so I love this ball.

I think their lack of stopping ability has been distorted a bit.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you need spin reduction (for distance or to get straighter) these are great. Plenty long for sure, fairly hard. I shot my best round with one (yes, one) at TPC Scottsdale, mostly because I didn't lose any and spent most of the day in the short grass. Stopping power is overrated if you are hitting from in the trees (or Cacti!!).

So I gave it four stars for being pretty good at what it is billed for. If you want stopping power go elsewhere. If you want long and straight, this is your ball. If you want both, get some Tour ix.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...