2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Guerine Rife Mallet/Blade

Gxgolfer

* Forged/milled 6061 aluminum body. Charcoal grey anodized finish.Also features 303 stainless steel face plugs and backweighted bars. Putter head weight is 355 grams.

* Features patented and USGA conforming, RollGroove Technology.™ LieAline Fitting System, and Four-Point Stability weighting.

Lining up center vertical notch with cavity alignment line guarantees consistent setup.

* 85% Face balanced (slightly toe down) with no offset shafting.

* Available in right-handed 33", 34", 35", and left-handed 35" shaft length and 71 degree lie angle.

* Each putter includes a head cover,LieAline bending tool and Speed Weigh Kit.

* Forged/milled 6061 aluminum body. Charcoal grey anodized finish.Also features 303 stainless steel face plugs and backweighted bars. Putter head weight is 355 grams.

* Features patented and USGA conforming, RollGroove Technology.™ LieAline Fitting System, and Four-Point Stability weighting.

Lining up center vertical notch with cavity alignment line guarantees consistent setup.

* 85% Face balanced (slightly toe down) with no offset shafting.

* Available in right-handed 33", 34", 35", and left-handed 35" shaft length and 71 degree lie angle.

* Each putter includes a head cover,LieAline bending tool and Speed Weigh Kit.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good review! I must say this is a goofy looking putter but it WORKS! I teach golf and one of the kids told me it looked like a space ship! He is right but if you look at the Pro Tours the long time thought that you must putt conventional has all but disappeared. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING you can do to get the ball in the hole is the only thing that matters.

Check out what I did. First, I took some quick dry epoxy (black) and applied it to the top of the putter with masking tape as the guide. I put it in line with that notch because I think that is hard to line up....I know it is supposed to work but it doesn't for me. Now all I have to do is line up that black stripe with the white stripe and BAM.....instant correct lie angle. Next, I tried counterbalancing it. I put in the heaviest weights in the head and taped quarters to the top of the grip with duct tape of course (each quarter weighs 6 grams approx). I found that 150 grams was perfect for me. If you try this, make sure you experiment because everyone is different and as I found, a little heavier and a little lighter COMPLETELY changed my results. So I went to my friends club repair shop and we went to work. We tried to clog up the butt end of the shaft about 5 inches from the top because we figured it out that the tungsten powder we were using would take up about 4 inches. After some error and jamming some kleenex down there with a ramrod, we dumped in the 150 grams of powder, packed it down with more kleenex and sealed the end with duct tape. It wen't down perfectly.

After a putting grip technique change (secret :stop: ) to correct a flaw I had, this thing is a miracle putter! The weight at the butt end makes the putter feel the same in the grip and the head which reduces the tendency to break down the wrists. I can drop 15 balls at 15 feet and roll them all in now consistently. When I miss it is always on the high side and the confidence it inspires is ridiculous!!! Like I said, if you want to try this with your own putter drop me a line and I'll be glad to help you through it but make sure you experiment with different weights. It just so happened 150 grams was the first I tried from an educated guess but when I went just a little heavier or lighter I was all over the place. The Guerin Rife Two Bar was a very solid putter to begin with....I highly recommend it to all and especially to anyone who struggles with putting......now with what I did to it, it should be illegal!!!

Not sure if you were responding to me or not. Yes, there are lots of putters out there but this one fits me. I was looking for one with a long line to line up the line I draw on my ball. I know there are lots out there with long lines now but at the time there really wasn't that much. If you haven't used one of these then I highly recommend trying one. I took a lot of jokes when I ordered one from my golf buddies and fellow Professionals but after they saw me putt with it and tried it themselves, they all talked about buying one.

As far as it being a lot to do just to get a putter to my liking......well, it really only took about an hour so that isn't bad and that is what I do. I tinker like crazy! Not to mention it didn't cost me a penny whereas if I went out and bought a new putter I still would have tinkered with it and spent the money. The whole game is about feel....right? You have to feel the swing, feel what it means to keep your spine angle during the swing, feel how to start your downswing with your lower body etc........ It's the same for putting. This simply yet dramatically changed my feel for a putter and the putting stroke. Believe me, I said the same thing when I got the idea to tinker with it. I said to myself, "just leave it alone....you are putting fine. What happens if you don't like it?" But I realized that it would be easy to change back or I could just reshaft it for about $8. The results have spoken for themselves so far and it remains the best thing I have done for my game to date.

Sorry, no pictures....in all honesty I'm not sure how you upload them. The pictures wouldn't show you anything though except the epoxy line on top of the putter which is in direct line with the notch on the Guerin Two Bar Mallet. The weight I'm referring to is inside the shaft and the grip conceals everything. In all honesty, I would do this to any putter I ever have in the future, just would have to find the proper weight compared to the head weight. That is what makes the difference.

• 3 months later...

The Guerin Rife Two Bar Putters are the best putters that I have ever found for me. I have both the mallet and the blade, center shafted with the new offset shaft and my putting has become so good. I love the feel and really love the roll. I also think that the two bars work great for alignment. I have tried every putter out there from custom Camerons, Mills and Bettinardi's and have sold every one of them as my putting is so much superior with the Guerin Rife. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

this putter is absolute garbage, my father bought in to their pathetic infomercials and got one for himself, i tried it for a week, and its just a terrible putter... it looks nice and makes u feel like u have a nice stroke but the problem with it is that it doesnt make a sound, which makes it extremely difficult for learning how to control the distance... you cant even feel the ball when u hit it.

• 2 months later...

I switched from the Nike Oz :) T-130 Mallet to the Guerin Rife 2 Bar Blade at the recommendation of the local pro at the shop.

I kept the lie angle since it is perfect for my setup and I use the medium weights. Looking very odd at first to me, after I tried out the club I was hooked. Setup is natural and I like the weight. The sound and feel with contact is perfect for me. Alignment with the bars is like having a mallet putter or a 2 ball putter without the extra bulk. Construction is solid and the grip for me is comfortable. I am so much more confident with this putter that I would not putt with anything else. :)

My main problem prior to the Guerin rife is the alignment. With the bars, I have better alignment than if I used a "Ball putter".

EDIT:

My major issues have been speed but my feel has improved for distance and reading the breaks.

There was a deep sale on putters at one place so I ended up getting the Mallet, also. I configured it with the heaviest weights and it feels great from the straight back putt.

These are the best putters, IMO.

Putter Ho Anonymous

• 3 months later...

I switched from the Nike Oz ;) T-130 Mallet to the Guerin Rife 2 Bar Blade at the recommendation of the local pro at the shop.

I kept the lie angle since it is perfect for my setup and I use the medium weights. Looking very odd at first to me, after I tried out the club I was hooked. Setup is natural and I like the weight. The sound and feel with contact is perfect for me. Alignment with the bars is like having a mallet putter or a 2 ball putter without the extra bulk. Construction is solid and the grip for me is comfortable. I am so much more confident with this putter that I would not putt with anything else. :)

My main problem prior to the Guerin rife is the alignment. With the bars, I have better alignment than if I used a "Ball putter".

EDIT:

My major issues have been speed but my feel has improved for distance and reading the breaks.

There was a deep sale on putters at one place so I ended up getting the Mallet, also. I configured it with the heaviest weights and it feels great from the straight back putt.

These are the best putters, IMO.

Putter Ho Anonymous

Did putting the heaviest weights in feel more comfortable with your straight back stroke. I just bought the putter and am very please so far. I like a heavy rear weight feel but didn't know how much of a difference it make for putt speed. I'm just waiting for the thaw to putt on some greens.

• 2 months later...

Just put the mallet into play. Wow, it has a simple look and allows each individual to customize the lie and weight to their own liking. I changed to the heaviest weight and just started making putts. Try it you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

been using it more and more this year and the results I am getting are terrific. It's helped me with keeping my stroke smooth and steady, the alignment bars are excellent and the roll from the rollgrooves give it that extra truer roll. Lots to love on this putter. Great technology, great lie tool, great capabilities to add/take off weights. Worth the extra money guys. Enjoy putting again, buy a Rife 2 Bar!

Interesting thread...I recently played a round with a guy who had one of these putters and he sunk a 40 foot putt that looked so effortless so that kind of peaked my interest..

Anyways I was at Golfsmith today putting with this "odd looking" putter but found the weighting to be extremely efficient! I found myself sinking putt after putt but of course that was on an "artificial surface" but nonetheless the feel factor was definitely there...

Now..that doesn't mean I going to run out and buy one of these things...I made that mistake a while back with the 2 ball putter because of all the buzz and found myself extremely disappointed with it in the end...

I'm more of a traditionalist and prefer the "tried and true" designs but I am approaching this with an open mind...

I wouldn't say I would be opposed to playing this putter but presently I'm still gonna stick with my Scotty..

As a recap I will say though that there is something to this putter and for those of you into the "new technologies" and designs you can't go wrong with this one!

• 1 month later...

re: Rife 2 Bar Blade

I picked this putter up at Edwin Watts a few weeks ago. I was in killing some time and started putting with it on their practice green. I figured the greens and cups must be slanted because I made 10 putts in a row from all distances. I went back a few days later and did it again. I had to have it! I have only had three putters in 30 years. BullsEye, Zebra, and Carbite. My last round I 3-putted 3 times in a row and said 'Enough'.

Anyway, I have started looking up all the guys I have lost money to over the years. I want my money back. Just beat three buddies last weekend for $85. 29 putts. 7 one putt greens, lipped a couple more out. Played in a scramble and drained a miles worth of putts. Won the putting contest in my first round playing with it.

We all know, the game is 90% mental. The way the 2 bar creates a 'railroad track' alignment is what does it for me. The weights on either side of the ball creates a very solid feel. It never feels 'off-center'. The grooved face seems to get the ball up quickly and rolling smoothly. I just concentrate on taking it back low, so I don't hit down on it and make it skid.

Yeah, everybody kids me on the first green, and then wants to buy it by the 18th.

JMHO, but I love it.

• 1 month later...

Would you guys say the adjustability feature makes the Rife an all-in-one putter? By that I mean, when putting just isn't working for you and you need a change, instead of flopping another 2 or 3 hundred for the latest and greatest, will making adjustments to the lie and weighting give a new putter FEEL? I am definately leaning towards giving this putter a try because I am relatively new to the game and don't know exactly what I like / what works for me best putter set-up-wise.

• 2 months later...
Would you guys say the adjustability feature makes the Rife an all-in-one putter? By that I mean, when putting just isn't working for you and you need a change, instead of flopping another 2 or 3 hundred for the latest and greatest, will making adjustments to the lie and weighting give a new putter FEEL? I am definately leaning towards giving this putter a try because I am relatively new to the game and don't know exactly what I like / what works for me best putter set-up-wise.

Yes.

Now I got rid of the mallet and kept the blade Rife Putter. Because you can adjust the lie and weights, it's like having a few putters in one!

I put with the Yes! Marilyn which is a mallet and love that putter, too.

• 1 month later...

Great Putters!!! Worth spending alot of money on. STROKE SAVER!!!!!!!!!

In my bag:
Driver:Cleveland Hibore XL tour 10.5 with Aldila NVS stiff shaft
3wood:Taylomde r580xd 13.0 with a UST Proforce V2 Regular shaft
Irons:Ping i10 3-PW Black with AWT steel stiff shaft
Wedges:Cleveland CG10 52.0 2dot
Cleveland CG 11 56.0 2dot
Cleveland CG 12 60.0 2dot
Putter:Ping G2 Remedy 32 inches
Ball: Srixon Trispeed

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to always use a Ping Anser style putter with offset hosel. Starting using the 2-bar mallet with center straight shaft and I also put a jumbo grip on it.

Like others have experienced with weight changes I went with the heaviest set up and it feels great. Short parts are on target everytime now. I think it is a combination of the mallet and the larger grip but I am sinking short putts now with confidence. Longer putts took me a little bit to get used to compared to the feel of the Anser. As mentioned, the metal is soft and the feel is soft on these. But for me it allows me to be aggresive with my putts and I no longer leave them a foot or 2 short.

The center shaft with no offset helps also. With the Ping I was not getting a true roll on the ball, but this putter gets my ball rolling nicely.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

• 1 month later...

I came a little late to the 2-bar party, but just in case someone's still looking for feedback on it.

I played a two ball for about two years before switching to the 2 bar blade 4 months ago. My average is down 4 putts/round (and so, coincidentally is my index). I have even been under 30 putts in several rounds. I prefer heavy putters in all conditions, and the weights are a lot better for me than adding lead tape.

For me, this putter inspires confidence. I feel like I can one-putt every green if I get the read right. Speed is easy to control with this putter and the ball rolls very easily off the face. The bars help a lot with alignment, too. I love this putter... and it's the only thing in my bag that's pink. I had some guys call it "pink power" in a round a few weeks ago! It has really helped me feel my putts and even my stroke out. This club is a winner for me.

If you can't get over the 'look' of the two-bar, try the Odyssey White Hot Tour. The insert gives great feedback off the face for a soft feel and it rolls the ball well. It's the only other putter right now that I'd put in my bag, Scotty included.

• 4 months later...

This thing is sick from all distance. The yip buster, gives you a feeling of confidence. Picked up the Quigly signature blade on EBAY for around $100.00. The putter paid for itself in the first week.

TEE EXS 9.5 Accra XC75
TEE CBX 15 UST/Mamiya Attas T2
TEE CBX 19 UST/Mamiya VTS
Ping i500. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 54. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 58. UST/Mamiya Recoil
ACME Tool General

I bought the 2 bar hybrid mallet about 2 months ago as I was developing some bad misses with my SC pro platinum newport ms. This putter is awesome-I'm regularly one putting holes that I used to two putt. I'd conservatively say it has taken 5 strokes of my putting average.

I thought the 2 bar Rife deal was all GC hype-have a very low HC friend who has the 2 bar blade-tried it, liked the feel-went to GG and tried the mallet and the hybrid mallet-fell in love with the Hybrid Mallet. Probably never go back. Distance control and accuracy is awesome.

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a mallet center shafted version of the original 2 Bar. I have to admit, I should have shelled out the money a few years ago to pick one up . . .

The roll/grooves/milled lines on the face definitely changes the overall feel of the putter. I wouldn't say it's "deader" or "muted", it's just different. If anything it is way more sensitive to changes in golf ball- it makes the ball "more" of what it is.

Bridgestone B330's are a little clicky off other putters but it is more pronounced with the Rife and the ball feels "lighter" off the face. Titleist NXT Tours and ProV1's are "heavier" or more solid feeling off this putter and Callaway HX Tours feel about the same.

I've had it in the bag for about 6 rounds . . . 3 full 18's and 5-6 9'ers. Aside from 18 holes with the B330 ball, my putting has been fantastic. I've been at Putting Par or a stroke or two under. Normally, I'm a little over Putting Par. I am hitting the ball better and chipping better, but I feel more confident about making putts from further out with the Rife.

I may pick up a blade style 2 Bar or a Hybrid version if I can get a deal, just for change of pace/back up purposes.

btw- Putting Par = 2(# of Girs) + (# of missed GIRs)

So if you hit 10 GIRs Putting Par would be:

2(10) + 8 = 28 putts for the round . . .

• 2 years later...

[quote name='grillnugz' timestamp='1310073726' post='3372858']
great putters I play the barbados black on and off
[/quote]

I agree - these are probably the most underrated putters. I too, like the Barbados (in Black!), and feel it is one of the better face balanced mallets out there. The feel. for me, is just right! I've other Rife putters as well.... They are my favorite overall.