2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Push Carts - Average age of owner?

36. Push carts have come a long way since the "old" style 2 wheel pull carts.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade M2 9.5* Driver[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping G30 3 and 5 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike CPR 3 and 4 Ironwood Hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 4 SW 56/10[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Odyssey Black Tour Design Series #5 Putter[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't begrduge anyone the use of whatever they want to use when playing a round of golf, but I do think there are certain advantages to carrying that pushcarts don't afford - I can go anywhere on the course and put my bag down (save for the green), which makes club selection quite easy - those using push carts generally have to stay almost as far from the green/tees as electric carts, so they have to take a few clubs and hope they've picked the right ones for the shot they're going to have (especially on an elevated tee where there are steps to reach the tees, etc.).

If somebody wants to use a pushcart though, more power to them - I'm an out of shape 31 and have no problem carrying for 18 holes, so as long as it stays that way I'm going to enjoy the convenience that I feel comes with carrying my bag.

[quote name='Random Hack' timestamp='1310308946' post='3379100']
I don't begrduge anyone the use of whatever they want to use when playing a round of golf, but I do think there are certain advantages to carrying that pushcarts don't afford - I can go anywhere on the course and put my bag down (save for the green), which makes club selection quite easy - those using push carts generally have to stay almost as far from the green/tees as electric carts, so they have to take a few clubs and hope they've picked the right ones for the shot they're going to have (especially on an elevated tee where there are steps to reach the tees, etc.).

If somebody wants to use a pushcart though, more power to them - I'm an out of shape 31 and have no problem carrying for 18 holes, so as long as it stays that way I'm going to enjoy the convenience that I feel comes with carrying my bag.
[/quote]

I can go anywhere on the course with my push cart that you can go carrying. Everyone I know takes their cart to the tee box, they don't do any damage. I'm not going to put it into a bunker or take it onto a green, but you're not going to carry there either.

Your post confuses me.

Edit: spelling.

At some private clubs it is considered poor etiquette to roll a push cart in the high-traffic areas leading to and from the greens. Especially if the narrow corridors between bunkers and greens where literally everyone playing the hole has to walk. The foot traffic alone can eventually destroy the turf in those areas and push cart wheels are an additional source of wear and tear.

The problem is pushing your cart all the way round a large bunker, especially if the bunker is surrounded by thick rough, takes a lot of extra time and energy. At places on our course you're just as well pushing it around the big curve on the cart path where it cuts around behind the hole. Which still takes a long time.

So everyone ends up doing just what the walkers do and rolling their trolleys over that same 8-foot-wide stripe of godforsaken sod between the bunker and the green. Our club is trying to drum up cooperation from both walkers and cart-pushers to avoid those areas once they get worn down so that they can heal. With virtually zero success.

At some private clubs it is considered poor etiquette to roll a push cart in the high-traffic areas leading to and from the greens. Especially if the narrow corridors between bunkers and greens where literally everyone playing the hole has to walk. The foot traffic alone can eventually destroy the turf in those areas and push cart wheels are an additional source of wear and tear.

The problem is pushing your cart all the way round a large bunker, especially if the bunker is surrounded by thick rough, takes a lot of extra time and energy. At places on our course you're just as well pushing it around the big curve on the cart path where it cuts around behind the hole. Which still takes a long time.

So everyone ends up doing just what the walkers do and rolling their trolleys over that same 8-foot-wide stripe of godforsaken sod between the bunker and the green. Our club is trying to drum up cooperation from both walkers and cart-pushers to avoid those areas once they get worn down so that they can heal. With virtually zero success.

there are these ingenious new gadgets that should solve your courses problem...drum roll please...stakes and rope...I believe the come in tour only models if your course is inclined. blind.gif

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Just bought a clicgear 3.0 yesterday. I am 29, normally walk and carry unless the course requires a cart or there are long distances between holes. However, I have been getting a sore neck after the round and think it is from carrying the bag. I am not in the best shape, but don't really have a problem walking and carrying 18, however, I am sure I will feel better not carrying the bag. Plus with it being 90+ and humid here in Illinois during the summer, it will be nice not to have to lug the bag around. Going to use the cart for the first time this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

At some private clubs it is considered poor etiquette to roll a push cart in the high-traffic areas leading to and from the greens. Especially if the narrow corridors

between bunkers and greens where literally everyone playing the hole has to walk. The foot traffic alone can eventually destroy the turf in those areas and push cart wheels are an additional source of wear and tear.

there are these ingenious new gadgets that should solve your courses problem...drum roll please...stakes and rope...I believe the come in tour only models if your course is inclined. blind.gif

That's hilarious!

started using a push cart around 32-33 when I had some neck problems. felt self consciously at first since most young guys carry...but after a few rounds all was forgotten. to seal the deal, there was a study that said players carrying scored worst than players pushing a cart. makes sense, why waste energy carrying!

i have one and im 23. clicgear 3.0. its great and folds up so nice and compact.

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 2 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Pushcarts cut the easiest, most profitable source of revenue from public and private courses - motorized golf carts. I avoid courses that don't allow them. Makes no sense to me why I can't walk the course I'm playing. I started using crude pushcarts over 10 years ago when I wasn't even in my 30s. Now I'm in my 40s, and the carts are much better.

The perception's going to change though. Junior Amateurs can now use them. I believe the NCAA is strongly considering allowing them. And lot of local tournaments allow them. The stigma will be gone soon, and I doubt you'll see many people carrying bags again in the next few years.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 46...have carried since I was 6. 40 years is enough of that, Tried someone's Clicgear and I am purchasing one this weekend. No more sore back and knees are 18 clapping.gif

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

I'm 46...have carried since I was 6. 40 years is enough of that, Tried someone's Clicgear and I am purchasing one this weekend. No more sore back and knees are 18 clapping.gif

I'm 45 and will be getting a clicgear 3.0 when it cools down a bit. It is still too hot in Palm Springs(over 100F) to carry or use a push cart right now.

The push cart makes sense to me and I don't think the retired guys I see out on the course in their custom golf carts will care that I use one.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

Started using push carts when I started playing 21 years ago and still using them at age 43. I ride every once in a while but it's not much faster for me and I like the excercise

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

I'm 35 and have been using a Sun Mountain Speed Cart for 6 years. During a basketball league game my feet were taken out when I was going up for a rebound. Landed on my back and had this weird pain in my shoulders when I would carry my bag. I broke down and got a cart.. of course all my friends made fun of me but after 4-5 rounds they all ended up getting carts as well.

Driver:  Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max / Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max/ Ventus Blue Velocore

Hybrid:  Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid & Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max
Irons:  Ping G525 w/ Axiom 75s
Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw 52 & 58
Putter: Evnroll ER5vB
Bag: Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag (Black) & Vessel Lite Stand Bag (White)
Ball: Titleist AVX

Shoe: Nike or Jordans

Im in my late 20's, in great shape and just bought a push cart after carrying for the last 15 years. After many years of anatomy and physiology I cant carry my bag anymore without picturing my discs compressing over and over from the 30ish pounds I lug around for 4 hours and 7-10 miles (depending on the course). I want my back to be healthy for the long haul and carrying your clubs 3-4 times a week, heck even 4 times a month for that lonng of a time will definitely have a negative impact on sustaining a healthy back in the long term. Also, as an added bonus, when I am just playing with buddies and not trying to score well, I can carry a LOT more beer!:drinks:

I'm 31 and use a push cart. It is a slightly older Callaway 3 wheel cart, but it gets the job done. About 5 years ago I broke my back in a motorcycle accident, and haven't carried since. I recently got another stand bag though, and am considering carrying when I play 9 holes, and using the cart for any more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 42 and have been using the ClicGear cart since last fall. I play much better when I walk, but I hate to carry and, like many others, just fell apart on about 15 or 16 because I just got too tired (I even joined the gym for the sole purpose of getting in better shape for golf). The difference has been amazing. I dropped from an 8 to a 3.2 handicap this year (partly because I'm not so tired on the last few holes (and am not finishing bogey-bogey-double) and partly because I've just gotten smarter). Now the only problem is finding "that perfect" bag" for the push cart.

25 yrs old here and I just started using one this season. I used to carry all the time but I picked up an older Bag Boy model off craigslist for $30 and loved it. I play a lot of city courses so the typical green fee for 18 holes is about $20-25 then its another $15 to rent a cart. On these short courses I would rather walk for free and get in 18 holes for $25, not $40. I take some flak from my buddies but I dont care, I watch my dad suffer with a bad back and its just not worth it to me, plus I can bring my own beer for the whole day while they have to keep buying them from the cart girl for $4 each :)

Just turned 33 in October and just started using a push cart. I took some time off from golf for the last 2 years, besides the random scramble. I had the itch again this year and started playing and practicing again and I have been one to always carry my bag. I noticed that I was good for about 14 holes then my back would start to get stiff and my game suffered over the last few holes. I am not using a sun moutain cart and there is no way I would ever carry again unless its using a sunday bag.

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.5 Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth 13.5 HZDUS Red 6.5 70
Ping Anser 2 Hybrid 17* - Project X Steel
PXG 0311T Gen1 3 Iron - Project X LZ 6.0
PXG 0311T Gen4 Xtreme Dark 4 Iron - DG S400

PXG 0311ST Xtreme Dark Gen4 5-PW - DG S400
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52 and 58 FullFace Raw DG Spinner 
Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Custom Shop 

• 2 weeks later...