I have to come clean... to the GolfWRX Community...

HeadonaStick

• 1 month later...

I loved this thread! Actually read every post in this one, and I hope the op still has these in his bag

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1230145296' post='1388381']
[quote name='funkyfedora' post='1388364' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:53 PM']Get them refinished? Those pretty ladies need a make over...[/quote]

A refinish would be like putting a new dress on Rosie O'Donnell...it would probably just attract more of the wrong attention.

:russian_roulette:
[/quote]

LOL!!! :cheesy:

This has been one of the funniest posts! Yet the old adage is once again proven, "It's the Indian, not the arrow..."

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='blade_man' timestamp='1287144546' post='2744255']
Hey HOS, I have a set of black eye 2's that I'll send you for a couple of months to try, if you like them pay up if not ship 'em back! Those mizzys are THE double ugly ist clubs I've seen in a while!
Fairways and greens,
[/quote]
I don't know if you're serious, but if you are that's very generous and I'll take you up on the offer! PM on the way...

Holy cow, I have a set of those in my attic! I mean a full set, with the matching driver and fairway woods all with steel shafts. That was my first set of clubs that I bought at the Ramstein Airforce Base in 1997. It was a full set with Mizzy bag and no-name putter. Now I have much prettier clubs, and the XP's live in the attic in their bag with a rain cover on them so nobody ever sees them.

[quote name='HeadonaStick' timestamp='1230144442' post='1388357']
I'm shallow. I'm not the club ho I appear to be... all the irons over the past two years have been because I'm a shallow, shallow man.

These:

[attachment=335981:100_1077.jpg]

[attachment=335982:100_1078.jpg]

[attachment=335983:100_1079.jpg]

Are the clubs I can't get out of my bag. They are ugly. So ugly that everytime I pull a club I throw up just a little. I absolutely HATE (hate, hate, hate) the shape of the heads. The paint has not worn off, I think it has just [i]evaporated[/i] due to old age. The stainless steel is actually rusting! I have no idea what the shaft is, but I'm quite sure they aren't something to brag about like a set of ultra cool KBS Tours or even nice Project X's. And if those are grooves, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

These came from Wal*Mart before the turn of the century (the last one, I think, but it could have been the turn before). They are a Ping knockoff, but unlike my putter, they knocked off an ugly Ping.

My Uncle played them before me. I got them when his mid-life crisis was over. I've had them in the bag for 8 years? Nine years? I put a set of blades into play for 1/2 a season when I started (because they looked better) but they were brutally unforgiving.

Let me apologize ahead of time, but sometimes strong language is called for: I hate these f-ers, and I hate the fact I can hit any damn shot I want with ease. Look at them. They should hit nothing but high lobs. They should have hot spots and be inconsistent distance wise. There shouldn't be a bit of spin on the ball due to serious lack of grooves - but I can make the ball stand up and bark like a dog with the 8, 9 and wedge.

No matter, I can call up a knockdown punch, I high soft landing, cuts are my specialty but I can even draw the ball with these.

Look at the insane amount of offset. Hell, the face is in a different zipcode than the shaft! These should be able to hit nothing but high hooky shots.

I shoot mid 70's with these. I have not been able to break 85 consistently with any other club. Only two sets even came close the versatility these ugly mother f-ers provide. Naturally, I didn't hang onto those either.

The only thing I do is make sure they have good grips on them:

[attachment=335984:100_1080.jpg]

I can't bring myself to put these in the WIB. They're embarrassing.

[color="red"][size=3]I want these butt-ugly, ancient, cheap a** copies out of my bag. Their ugliness is an ambarrassment to me, and club junkies everywhere.[/size][/color]

I feel like I'm living a double life - Internet club junkie with good taste and real life ugly club master. Sort of like the guy with the model's picture in his wallet but the two bagger at home (you know, so ugly she has to have a bag on her head and you have one on yours in case hers breaks).

So there you go. I'm shallow and hate ugly. I have ugly sticks. I can't get rid of them, and I'm not really a club ho, just a desperate, shallow man who really wants snazzy clubs to show off, but no amount of cash (and beatings by the wife) have solved my problem.

The only fun these ever provided me was once, at Disney, some a** clown took a look at my bag and made some comment about my "high-tech Mizunos" and I kicked his a** all over the course. Sadly, the pleasure lasted only until the next round with these aesthetically retarded clubs.

Help me, please.
[/quote]

I don't know why but many of us seem to have a preoccupatin with irons that look pretty or are new. I have a Yes mallet putter and several times I have bought a nice pretty putter only to sell it when I realized that I putted better with the Yes. I have MX-23's that I really want to replace simply because I've played with them for 7 years and new irons look nicer. I have a Nike square driver. I hate its looks, I still can't get used to the looks but it is the best driver I've ever owned.

Here's my humble opinion - If they work, keep them. Enjoy the fact that you have found a set of irons that work, that fit you. Don't let the allure of the new pretty irons cause you to stray. Of course, I've never been able to follow that advice, even though it makes sense to me

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.... a turn in financial tides dictated that I sell everything I could... I've been forced to stick with these and not switch them out for a new, visually appealing set every two weeks.

Last week I shot a mid-seventy round and went home with $100± and this week I shot a 79 and came home with $70±

I still hate the way these beasties look and wish I could find something else that works as well... why oh why do these work? And they are even uglier now - I tried to make them pretty and it backfired.

[quote name='HeadonaStick' timestamp='1292790829' post='2848536']
Just an update.... a turn in financial tides dictated that I sell everything I could... I've been forced to stick with these and not switch them out for a new, visually appealing set every two weeks.

Last week I shot a mid-seventy round and went home with $100± and this week I shot a 79 and came home with $70±

I still hate the way these beasties look and wish I could find something else that works as well... [b]why oh why do these work?[/b] And they are even uglier now - I tried to make them pretty and it backfired.
[/quote]

Congrats on the money you won but my guess is that you've done something bad, very, very bad! ha

[quote name='Kerry56' timestamp='1292799941' post='2848787']
I had a set of these Mizuno Tour XP clubs. It was the first set I bought after taking up golf...got mine used back in '98 I think. The lowest round of golf I've ever shot was with these things.

I gave my set away though, and haven't looked back. The offset and dull feel was just too annoying after a while.
[/quote]
They were my first set as well and a set of hand me downs when I got them.

I want to move on. I really do. Everything about them is annoying. Except the scores...

I am loath to admit this, but it is becoming something of a guilty pleasure taking my partners cash with these sticks and pink balls... I still want a set of Eye 2's to try and replace these, but until I can afford a set I am starting to enjoy playing these visually mortifying clubs. (Would this be coming clean a second time?)

I'm not sure which is more emotionally disturbing - playing these things or starting to like it!? :crazy:

I think I'll change my screen name now and make fun of myself so nobody can identify me... you know, an alter ego so I can start fresh and pretend to be a club ho with taste. :beee:

Carry on. Nothing more to see here.

Well. I think there's only one thing to do....

Send them to BOS and get them black ox'd, throw on a skull sticker, get some tour issue DG spinner shafts for every club, and put some iomic grips on there!!!

Then maybe you'll be allowed back on WRX. lol

(Serious note, whatever works. I think you're just trying to be a hustler ;) )

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='revrat' timestamp='1287550151' post='2750774']
Holy cow, I have a set of those in my attic! I mean a full set, with the matching driver and fairway woods all with steel shafts. That was my first set of clubs that I bought at the Ramstein Airforce Base in 1997. It was a full set with Mizzy bag and no-name putter. Now I have much prettier clubs, and the XP's live in the attic in their bag with a rain cover on them so nobody ever sees them.
[/quote]

Great now HOS knows where to go for his back-up set!!!

• 1 month later...

Found their cousin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mizuno-Wings-FWD-Iron-Set-3-Thru-PW-RH-/300568284576?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item45fb440da0

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1310704361' post='3393132']
Found their cousin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mizuno-Wings-FWD-Iron-Set-3-Thru-PW-RH-/300568284576?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item45fb440da0
[/quote]
Wow, that is unbelievable. Not that you found them but that they actually want a 100 bucks for them.

I guess mine are kind of like the "TP" version of the Wings...

By the way, these things are still in my bag. God do I hate them - but they keep working. I think they hate me too and just refuse to play bad just to spite me. :fool:

I must admit, I read this thread and laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. My sympathies HOS. You truly have a set of golf clubs there. I especially like the way they have the perfect faces for radio!

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Kai'li S
Titleist 910F 15* Kai'li S
Taylormade RBZ hybrid 20* S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10
Ping Anser Milled 0 -or- Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport

those are not as ugly as my ben hogan apex ftx's but thats ok, mine feel better :P

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

I don't know man. Those things are really friggen ugly. As a fellow golfwrx club ho, I have to admit that I would rather have the nice clubs vs the good score, but this is definitely a great discussion and an interesting topic on life in general if you think about it.

Look at all the crap that we buy every day for no reason. "oh I need a new car" or "oh I need a bigger house". Why? The car I have works fine now and the house is just perfect, why do I need to change them?