100-105 Swing Speed Distance

Hope I'm in the correct form. Buddy of mine last time he checked swing speed around 100-105 if you read everything your distance is max say 260-270 carry. His carry more 280-290 we was playing a drivable par four this weekend 290-300 he drove it first day ball landed on the green the second day he flew on the back and went over. Is his swing speed wrong or his he doing something to get this extra distance. I'm not complaining I'm happy for him and especially when we play scrambles. He plays the ball back middle of his stance and most part a little closed sometimes square to open but mostly a little closed. With the ball so far back does he create more lag? Thanks for reading!

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

The problem is without seeing your stats on a launch monitor, it is hard to judge carry distance. Most people think of distance with roll as being their true driver distance.

If you drive the ball 300 yards would you feel comfortable with hitting a force carry of 285?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

My swing speed is around that 105 mark. I would say my average drive is about 270ish to be realistic. I definately hit it further at times though depending on how hard I am going at it. Swing speed is only part of it. I believe that ball speed and spin are more important. The new launch monitor we got at our store uses ball speed, spin, and trajectory as the main factors and doesnt give SS on the main screen. It also dpends on course conditions. Besides wind, the firmness of the fairway and length of grass will determine how far the ball rolls. Im not an expert, those are just my observations.

• Like 1

It's all about ball striking. He's hitting it in the center of the club face and dropping the club right in the slot just right. I can swing @ a ss of 100 and put it out 260+ because I strike the ball well. I am sure he is a pure ball striker. Have him put a piece of tape over his club face and you'll see the ball imprint relatively close to the center if not dead center

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

wind and concrete fairways will do wonders for a golf ball. Even if the wind is not blowing hard at ground level 50 feet up is another story. his swing speed is probably right.. also downhill landings and other items can influence his total distance. Also what is elevation? Playing at sea level like most monitors are set too is way different than playing in Denver.

[quote name='allsportscoach' timestamp='1311106481' post='3405209']
Hope I'm in the correct form. Buddy of mine last time he checked swing speed around 100-105 if you read everything your distance is max say 260-270 carry.
[/quote]

My SS is between 98-106 depending on my back at the time and I hit 280+ regularly.

I personally have a difficult time swinging the same when indoors getting the speed measured, or even outdoors into a net. I only really swing the same as normal when I measure it while hitting a ball on a hole.

It could be that when he is just hitting a shot, he swings differently, giving it way more speed. To carry the ball 280, it takes at least 110 MPH, and that assumes a carry setup with a perfect strike.

• Like 1

I have hit between 102-115 on a monitor. and my max distance was 282, and I have a great smash factor. Unless you all are using the Hammer you are counting wind aided or other forces acting upon the ball. Do i have 2 balls a round end up at 300+ probably, but it is not because of my increased swing speed. it is because of wind, landing on a downhill lie, or concrete fairways, or usually a combination of the three. BTW I play at or below sea level. I have drove a 310 yard par 4 with a 3 wood before, but it was a great wind and a lot of roll.

I used some website and it said for a 105 mile an hour swingspeed. Not verified
10 degree driver leaves with a carry distance of 235 yards, total 258.
Max carry is 13.8 degrees of loft for 241 yards of carry
Max total distance is achieved with a launch angle of 12.1 degrees 260 yards.
When you compare ball speed to swing speed you get what they refer to as smash factor.
maximum is 1.5 (105 mile an hour swing/ ball speed )= smash factor.

According to this website 121 miles an hour ss = a 300 yard drive.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1311122683' post='3405928']
I don't care what your smash factor and spin rate is, a ss of 100-105 is not going to give you a 280-290 carry. All things being perfect, it would still be impossible.
[/quote]

People need a reality check on all their distances not only driving.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Spin Rate plays a bigger factor than I believe people want to think. My friend has a SS of about 115 but his spin rate is around 3700 avg. My SS is around 108 but a spin rate of around 2200. I out drive him 9/10 times because he balloons the ball way too much. The funny thing is he is playing a 8.5* 910 with a 60 X RIP shaft. Even with his own driver I can still out smash him :D

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I used to register 105 on all the monitors. My carry was always 235-240 and a total distance on 260-270. This was somewhat proven when I would play my local course with really soft, slow fairways and I NEVER got it past 240. Then I would go to a more normal course and average 260.

I saw a chart once that said the average 105 swinger was carrying it 240.

• Like 1

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1311124137' post='3406001']
I used to register 105 on all the monitors. My carry was always 235-240 and a total distance on 260-270. This was somewhat proven when I would play my local course with really soft, slow fairways and I NEVER got it past 240. Then I would go to a more normal course and average 260.

[/quote]

I agree with the majority of you it's hard to believe he is hitting it that far but I've seen it and it is carry not roll. I haven't figured it out but soon as we get a chance we'll go somewhere and check it again.
I still believe it has something to do with playing the back in his stance and being a little closed and he is coming down and a cross pulling it back to his line reason he is hitting it far.

Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

I swing 102-104ish and carry it about 230-235 in real world conditions.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1311123399' post='3405961']
[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1311122683' post='3405928']
I don't care what your smash factor and spin rate is, a ss of 100-105 is not going to give you a 280-290 carry. All things being perfect, it would still be impossible.
[/quote]

People need a reality check on all their distances not only driving.
[/quote]

+1. People are using the fairway sprinkler yardages again. :rolleyes:

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='allsportscoach' timestamp='1311125967' post='3406094']

[/quote]

I agree with the majority of you it's hard to believe he is hitting it that far but I've seen it and it is carry not roll. I haven't figured it out but soon as we get a chance we'll go somewhere and check it again.
I still believe it has something to do with playing the back in his stance and being a little closed and he is coming down and a cross pulling it back to his line reason he is hitting it far.
[/quote]

Playing the ball back in his stance can only hurt distance. With a driver, the best shots come with an upward angle of attack, not to mention that fundamentally, the ball needs to be forward for maximum body rotation and turn through. I promise you that unless he has extremely weak legs, putting the ball forward where it's supposed to be would increase distance.

Interesting thread. There have been many good replies here and many are correct.
Lets get the variables in order:
elevation
Wind
curvature of hole
marking on the course(I fully assume this was not GPS marked)
Actual swingspeed measured by proper device - sometimes outside will read the same person faster than indoors
Adrenaline - gearing up an extra bit when stnd speed is at a certain #

If the hole is cut off some, slight downhill, a few yards marked off and he hits the front of the green; a '300' hole could be a 265 carry front edge or slightly less.

Please feel free to add more but understand that E=Mc(2) - you cannot buy fifty dollars worth of groceries with 40 dollars, just not poss.
That being said there is some other factor in play. All my assumptions are based on estimated CARRY you stated, and though putting it in the back of his stance may help him and his personal swing it does not change physics. I think he has a good club setup and is just faster than the machine u read from states.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1311128452' post='3406232']
My average swing speed is 96 - 102 and I average 250 counting the role. I ocassionally hit a drive 270 - 290 but that is with a good bounce.
[/quote]

We played again last night and looks like he is hitting a wedge or short iron and doesn't finsih his swing. I do believe his swing speed is more but I think aim right of target or at target helps with swing speed and distance because you can turn more.
Oh well
I'll check the hole with GPS soon as I get a chance.

My first two and half years of golf was wonderful then one day my friends said i was aiming right and bringing the ball back to my target and since then I've lost all my distance and game of golf no fun.

I beleive paraell left is a myth and doesn't work if you swing around your body.

Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

I think most driving distances on a course are inflated by bad markings. I played a 440 yard hole the other day and I had 110 in. Math says 330. GPS had my drive at 290 (which is still a poke for me!).

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Brand new member here. I'll throw out some of my numbers here, can't remember exact spin but around 2300rpm on the good strikes. Swing speed 117mph, ball speed 171mph, avg carry 270 yards, average roll out, 17 yards. Total distance 287 yards. Peaks: 279, 295. Bottoms: 237, 265. I also would like to say that knickerbocker is spot on, a lot of courses have some crazy yardages! At my homeclub I've had what looked like a massive 320+ drive looking at yardage stakes but GPS (granted, the one on the iPhone) had me pegged at 285, bang on my average. Deflated me somewhat, that and my friends laughing at my dismay as we checked the yardage :(

@ MacMia, it is pretty darn hard to carry the ball 270! I'm slap bang in the middle of X shaft territory and I can just about do it consistently. The hardest part is getting good, solid contact time and time again. You can swing at 130mph, but if you don't get the ball in the centre of the club, it's not going anywhere.

[quote name='MacMia' timestamp='1311296540' post='3412729']
Could not agree more... Carrying the ball 270 is rarified air...
[/quote]
I play a course that has a birdhouse on the far side of a lake that you can laser with a rangefinder. From the back tees it's 273 to carry. I play with a lot of guys who think they can hit it 300 but won't even consider trying to carry the lake.

[/quote]

Refreshing to see some honesty posted here. It is entertaining though to read the crap idiots post regarding their ridiculous distances which doesn't jive with their numbers.

Handicap:  3

My SS is right around 105. I measure all my drives using my uPro GPS and my average total distance is 266 yards. My minimum measured drive is 218 and the max is 315 . Max carry distance is in the 245-250 range. I've lost a few mph of SS and distance in the past few years following knee surgery. It's a bit humbling seeing the actual distance on the GPS after crushing one, but 270 off the tee still gives me a decent shot to hit many par 5's in two.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

My ss is 102-105 and my carry distance is 245-255, roll out to 260-270 with normal conditions. Funny, the 255/270 is w/pro v1x and the 245/260 is w/pro v1. I use upro to check my distances and have been hitting the GG sim lately trying to find more distance. Playing the 909d2 9.5 now. I've been testing the 910d3 and RHT. The RTH on the monitor is giving me 15more carry then I've ever had. Need to check it on the course. I don't know that the GG sim is that accurate. Funny though, the 910D3 sim numbers are exactly my course #s with my 909D2. So maybe its better than I'm giving it credit.