Boomerang Putting Aide

taylormadefan

Why do you say this is a toy when it is obviously far more beneficial as an aid than a toy could possible be?

If you actually used the Boomerang for a relevent period and could master it at any level whatsoever and on any surface, then sure, its not something you will ever need. You would have to be an excellent putter with no imperfections in your setup and stroke.

Unfortunately though there are actually a large amount of golfers who struggle with their putting and struggle to find anything suitable to assist - that is also practical to use where ever you want.

Whatever your situation/experience was, or if this was an honest and fair comment, or someone promoting a product by dissing another, whichever it may be, you are in fact completely wrong and I felt this should be pointed out in all fairness.

The Boomerang is THE best putting aid you will ever use for many reasons, most of which are expertly explained previously by other people on this site and others, with educated opinions, based upon actual time invested in using the Boomerang and what they learned.

They have really used it and may even initially doubted what its purpose was, but have since discovered through using it, that it can assist you in many ways to diagnose faults in setup, stroke and distance control. No matter what level of golf you play you find out something about your stroke you didnt know.

It especially helps with muscle memory, which in turn as I am sure you must know, assists with stroke confidence because you KNOW that your setup is always solid and your distance control will get you to your target, usually with 1-3ft, in my humble experience ;)

Sure you may not get help reading a green but surely that bit is down to you? Its an impossible variable for any aid to simulate. However if you know your stroke isn't going to fail you then you know you just got to read it right and there is never a need to 3 putt again if you can do that!

Anyway don't be so quick to dismiss something you clearly dont understand. I have known about the boomerang for years and read all the reviews from many golfers who didnt believe it was really worth consideration. 99% of these people eventually had the penny drop. They would never get rid of their Boomerang thereafter.

Use it every week for six months and I bet you any money you like your putting will improve no matter how excellent you think it already is ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had mine for just over a year now and I still use it almost every day. I have it over against a wall on the side of my bedroom and its permanently stationed there looking very inviting to come and use it. The dialing in of your distance control is incredible and yields huge dividends out on the course, as well as the repition aspect of grooving a consistent putting stroke. I must admit that when I first got it, I heard about the record and the $1000 dollar prize and so I just parked myself at the end of the mat and tried to perfect that distance. I have since started moving up and down the mat, never putting from the same place twice or, if I make it on my first putt, trying to get the two putts done from each location and then moving on. This new method has carried over to the course very well and I recommend it to all of you out there who are just going for the record.

Pro's:
It is very fun, very simple, and very addicting.
I like the fast green speeds it simulates
Helps with alignment and getting used to seeing the line
Con's:
The Mat!
The mat came folded and the creases still have never really gone fully away (I've ironed it with a wet towel twice)
The mat wasn't cut straight and, when laid flat, has a slight curve to it.
Not the products fault, but I accidentally placed my boomerang near a heater and the white sticker inside the cup got a little bubbly and uneven. Not sure if it affected the performance but I wish I hadn't done it.
Could use some sort of simple lock system to keep the leg in place if you pick up the boomerang.

I love this training aid and it works better than any other training aid that I've ever owned or used. It's very fun and addicting and, if used similarly to how you'll face putts on the course, it can help you see dramatic results in your putting, particularly your distance control. I think I'm going ot get a new mat one of these days and possible replace my boomerang as well. I love it.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1233872579' post='1470489']
The guidelines for the video should be on the website. You can also email Alex for any questions on the video, he will send you the $1000 if you beat the record.
[/quote]

Just FYI - http://www.boomgolf.com/mo.htm - it was created specifically for you guys.

• 1 month later...

Love this thing. I had a mechanical ball returner picked up at a garage sale years ago just on the carpet and I thought I was training effectively. Now that I have the boomerang I am seriously improving my putting. Like a previous poster I move up and down the mat hitting different length putts trying not to hit more than 3-4 from one spot. I have the cup screwed up flush with the ramp most of the time with the ramp set on between 3 and 6 just getting my stroke consistent. I've been punishing myself with very little lip when setup that way making it next to impossible to get a ball to stay in the cup and it's paying dividends with my distance control. My biggest benefit is my putts inside 6-10ft. Ive been using it with the mat on a polished concrete floor and it is dead straight. I've been able to groove a repeatable stroke and my confidence is sky high at the moment inside that distance and as such I've hardly missed a thing in that range. When I first got it I really and embarrassingly had trouble hitting the ramp from the end of the mat. Being dead straight it was instantly showing me that I was hitting it left especially because you know your lined up correctly. I used a camera like in the YouTube videos on the site and tried to compare my stroke to some of the pros. I realized I was lifting the putter almost straight up and to the inside and decelerating badly resulting in poor putts pulling most of them left. I now have a nice stroke that is very consistent and Im making so many more putts than before. I haven't tried the challenge with the cash prize but the way I'm using it is ultimately having a beneficial impact on my game. For the price it's definitely worth it.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

• 4 months later...

got one of these at a closeout special. i agree that it is hard. beyond that, i don't really see how learning to putt up a ramp translates to distance control on the green. putting to a tee standing on its head trying to touch it without knocking it over is more challenging, and takes the ramp factor out.

imo at home practice time is better spent on alignment, stroke, and hitting the sweet spot.

i sure am glad i did not invest much in this gizmo.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but isn't what you just said what this aid actually accomplishes?

[quote name='tm3' timestamp='1334434629' post='4721718']

imo at home practice time is better spent on alignment, stroke, and hitting the sweet spot.

[/quote]

Invariably it can also help with distance control as others have found, but to me the three main points that you make against the product are the three things it is actually good for.

Find the extreme's and go directly in between.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I would share the benefits I have been getting out of using this product. Here is an email I sent Alex yesterday.

Just wanted to let you know how I have been going of late with my putting. The other month I was able to take out the club championships in my grade. Going into the last round at the half way mark, I was tied for the lead, and the next guy in contention was about 8 shots behind us. Needless to say, it was a two horse race with nine to play. Throughout the final nine holes, my putting was my rock, and I holed some really clutch putts. I wasn't really striking the ball that well, and on a few holes, I was less then happy with some of my approaches. Needless to say, those knee trembling 20-30 foot putts were like taking candy from a baby. Putting them consistently close to the hole and even holing a few 20 footers ended up making all the difference. The other guy that was in contention, at the 17th tee, said to me, "I can't keep up, your too good on the greens". Immediately I thought of you and your product, and the difference it has made to my game.

Aside from the club championships, there is one more acheivement I am even more proud of. Last weekend on saturday, I blitzed the field of 110, to win the competition by 5 shots! I had my best score ever and finished with a net 58!!! Admittedly, I have worked hard at my game, both at the range and using the boomerang. I am so excited about my game at the moment, and for the most part, I have you to thank.

I see that you also now have a Prestwick mat, that is a lot slower than the others you sell. I am very interested, as the greens where I play aren't as quick as your other mat's, so it looks like I will be looking to put an order in for one soon.

Thanks again Alex!

got one of these at a closeout special. i agree that it is hard. beyond that, i don't really see how learning to putt up a ramp translates to distance control on the green. putting to a tee standing on its head trying to touch it without knocking it over is more challenging, and takes the ramp factor out.

Hey tm3,

No problem. Some people just don't get it. The standing in the same spot, bashing out 400 identical, inch-perfect putts an hour - they can't see the point. That's fair enough, I'm not here to convert you.

There are others though who see the Putting Pro for what it is - a chance to isolate and work on every variable in the stroke itself. It's not about the distance control, that something that comes with the actual technique, it's about the stroke. When you can drive a ball down the centre of the Putting Pro 100 times in a row, without touching the sides, you know you have very efficient line control. When you can catch and release a ball, at will, then you know you've cracked the distance control element. My 9 year old, Naomi, got 7 in-a-row last night. She's stoked becase I told her shed needed a minimum of 5 for me to take her to the PGA show. She just booked her ticket!

We have something that takes the Putting Pro to a whole new level - it's coming on December 7th, and I want to ask the moderators if we can find three of you guys to review it. I've signed up a bunch of testers in other forums already.

Let me know if you're intersted...

Here's a peak -

EZ1_2013_Paul_600.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

Hey tm3,

No problem. Some people just don't get it. The standing in the same spot, bashing out 400 identical, inch-perfect putts an hour - they can't see the point. That's fair enough, I'm not here to convert you.

There are others though who see the Putting Pro for what it is - a chance to isolate and work on every variable in the stroke itself. It's not about the distance control, that something that comes with the actual technique, it's about the stroke. When you can drive a ball down the centre of the Putting Pro 100 times in a row, without touching the sides, you know you have very efficient line control. When you can catch and release a ball, at will, then you know you've cracked the distance control element. My 9 year old, Naomi, got 7 in-a-row last night. She's stoked becase I told her shed needed a minimum of 5 for me to take her to the PGA show. She just booked her ticket!

We have something that takes the Putting Pro to a whole new level - it's coming on December 7th, and I want to ask the moderators if we can find three of you guys to review it. I've signed up a bunch of testers in other forums already.

Let me know if you're intersted...

Here's a peak -

EZ1_2013_Paul_600.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

I would really love love love to try one of these systems - especially with the putter!!!

I'm interested if your still looking

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

I reckon you three guys are it!

Can you tell me a bit about your putting now? Total putts, putts per greens in reg (if you know), horror stories or good putting stories if you have them.

If the moderator agrees, you are my GolfWRX guinea pigs! I'm aiming for 3 per forum. One proviso however... If you're in, you're in for the lot and that includes the technique that ties everything together. Signal your pleasure, or displeasure in the regular way.

Cheers,

Alex

[quote name='Putting Guru' timestamp='1354314503' post='6001999']
I reckon you three guys are it!

Can you tell me a bit about your putting now? Total putts, putts per greens in reg (if you know), horror stories or good putting stories if you have them.

If the moderator agrees, you are my GolfWRX guinea pigs! I'm aiming for 3 per forum. One proviso however... If you're in, you're in for the lot and that includes the technique that ties everything together. Signal your pleasure, or displeasure in the regular way.

Cheers,

Alex
[/quote]

Alex,

Count me in! Can't wait to get started.
I don't have any stats/data for putts per green in reg. As for the putts per round; a good round for me is 26-27 putts, a bad round is 34+, and my average is 31 ppr.

On the bad days, my miss is a pull that tends to rear it's ugly head on the shorter putts(6foot and shorter). I get lazy with them sometimes and I have a tendency to go straight back and then through to the left with the putter head. I also find it hard to get the ball to the hole on my bad days. On the good days, im in the zone (isn't everyone?), and I have good clean natural arc to my stroke, and if the ball isn't going in the hole, its a tap-in. I often find if a have just recently done some work on the boomerang, I am going to be in for a good day. As for the average days, they can be a mixture of both, when things aren't too bad, but I just can't seem to get everything to 'click'.

Practising on the carnoustie probably isn't doing me any favours either, our greens are reasonably slow where I play, so your slower mat may be perfect to get the right balance of distance control. As for the putting stories, please refer to post #71 in this thread. I have improved considerably using the boomerang, however, I am still very keen and motivated to take another step forward.

Regards,

Shane

Hello Alex,
Count me in, I look forward to working with you and improving my putting. My stats are horrible, 36+ total, over 2 in GIR, and several 3 putt pars on par5's!

Looking for the comprehensive instruction you describe in hopes that by spring those horrid statistics improve dramatically.

Thanks again.