2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Going through the bag, what would you buy next?

Potatohead

I have a few dollars saved and trying to go through my bag. Unfortunately I can't do it all right now, so trying to determine which way to go first. I am a 4.1 'cap currenly, and can only play about 3 - 4 times a month. In my current bag my driver is the only club newer than about 5 or 6 years old. I kind of want to purchase an iron set, new fairway woods/hybrids, or new wedges/putter.

Current bag:

R11 TP w/ RIP 70s, this is not going anywhere

Callaway X (original) 3 and 5 woods

MP30 3-PW

Cleveland 588 56* and 60*, these are about 12 years old

Odyssey White Hot #4

In terms of my game, I would say off the tee and with short irons, I am about equal to or slightly better than my handicap. Mid and long irons are the weakest part of my game, while inside 30 yards would be the best part.

My wedges still shred range balls which is why I am hesitant to buy new wedges. The only thing I would probably want to do is go to a 54* sand wedge to close the gap a bit. I like to hit knockdown short irons so I don't really think I need a gap wedge. I will also probably replace my 5 wood and 3 iron with 2 and 3 hybrids. I want, but don't NEED new irons, but I think going into something a little easier to hit would help my long game. I think a putter is first on the list, but after that?

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a 52 degree or even a 50 degree wedge is what your missing imo, you have a big gap there

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1311804983' post='3429648']
I have a few dollars saved and trying to go through my bag. Unfortunately I can't do it all right now, so trying to determine which way to go first. I am a 4.1 'cap currenly, and can only play about 3 - 4 times a month. In my current bag my driver is the only club newer than about 5 or 6 years old. I kind of want to purchase an iron set, new fairway woods/hybrids, or new wedges/putter.

Current bag:

R11 TP w/ RIP 70s, this is not going anywhere
Callaway X (original) 3 and 5 woods
MP30 3-PW
Cleveland 588 56* and 60*, these are about 12 years old
Odyssey White Hot #4

In terms of my game, I would say off the tee and with short irons, I am about equal to or slightly better than my handicap. Mid and long irons are the weakest part of my game, while inside 30 yards would be the best part.

My wedges still shred range balls which is why I am hesitant to buy new wedges. The only thing I would probably want to do is go to a 54* sand wedge to close the gap a bit. I like to hit knockdown short irons so I don't really think I need a gap wedge. I will also probably replace my 5 wood and 3 iron with 2 and 3 hybrids. I want, but don't NEED new irons, but I think going into something a little easier to hit would help my long game. I think a putter is first on the list, but after that?

Thoughts?

[/quote]

Putter is the one club IMO that doesn't really matter what club you use - its all about the stroke. If you like the one you have now, no need to change.

Sounds like irons are your weakest part of the your game, so maybe start with the Hybrid transition and then maybe a new set of irons. If you are doing irons, hit a lot of them and I recommend getting fitted.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I'd change the whole bag :russian_roulette: .

Honestly, it looks like you could upgrade everywhere but driver or not at all.

Hybrids, gap wedge, 4 wood, newer wedges as those grooves have to be worn would be the start.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

It's all relative I guess, long and mid irons are weakest part of my game, but that doesn't mean I'm topping and shanking them of course, just not hitting as many greens as I probably should with the 5-6-7 irons. I do plan on going through my whole bag in the next six months or so.

I have always played with a big gap (insert joke here), I have never owned a gap wedge which is why I am pretty decent at the knock down wedge. Back in college (late 90's) I played to about a 2 index and really, gap wedges and hybrids were just starting to come around. If I get rid of the 3 iron I am going to have a hole from 200 - 220 which I don't really want to have, but I guess I could do like most of you are suggesting and go with something like driver, 15* 3 wood and 19 - 20* hybrid, then the 4 iron, and add a gap wedge.

I don't hate my putter, but I've had two putters in 12 years and I could just use something new. Honestly it's the same story for the whole bag. I would like something a touch more forgiving in the mid/long irons as well, unfortunately I don't strike it quite as well as I used to.

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1311808168' post='3429763']
I have always played with a big gap (insert joke here), I have never owned a gap wedge which is why I am pretty decent at the knock down wedge. Back in college (late 90's) I played to about a 2 index and really, gap wedges and hybrids were just starting to come around. If I get rid of the 3 iron I am going to have a hole from 200 - 220 which I don't really want to have, but I guess I could do like most of you are suggesting and go with something like driver, 15* 3 wood and 19 - 20* hybrid, then the 4 iron, and add a gap wedge.
[/quote]

You're worried about a gap from 200-220 ???

Think about it.

If you have 210 yards to the hole you're most likely going to be thrilled to death if you get it NEAR the green for a decent chip never mind near the hole for a birdie putt.

What are your scoring clubs ? The ones you can dial in distance to within +/- 2 yards and consistently have "makeable" birdie putts ? WEDGES.

THOSE are the clubs you want to fill in every gap; the SCORING clubs.

I carry Driver, 3 wood (well, now 1 hybrid @ 15*) and a 3 hybrid. So MY big gap is between the 1 hybrid ('bout 220) and my 3 hybrid ('bout 195). 210 ? Well, downwind I'll hit the 3 hybrid, calm conditions I'll ease off on the 1 hybrid.

But maybe that's just ME ? ;)

Good luck. :good:

BTW, hard to believe 12 year old wedges still cut the range balls. Pros change their wedge every 3 - 5 WEEKS or so. Of course they hit far more balls than you or I do but 12 years ?!?!?!

And BTW, how do you KNOW they cut RANGE balls ? Do you go retrieve them ? :lol: What do the wedges do to the balls you actually play with ?

[quote name='Rockfish' timestamp='1311809423' post='3429813']
[/quote]

Think about it.

If you have 210 yards to the hole you're most likely going to be thrilled to death if you get it NEAR the green for a decent chip never mind near the hole for a birdie putt.

What are your scoring clubs ? The ones you can dial in distance to within +/- 2 yards and consistently have "makeable" birdie putts ? WEDGES.

I carry Driver, 3 wood (well, now 1 hybrid @ 15*) and a 3 hybrid. So MY big gap is between the 1 hybrid ('bout 220) and my 3 hybrid ('bout 195). 210 ? Well, downwind I'll hit the 3 hybrid, calm conditions I'll ease off on the 1 hybrid.

BTW, hard to believe 12 year old wedges still cut the range balls. Pros change their wedge every 3 - 5 WEEKS or so. Of course they hit far more balls than you or I do but 12 years ?!?!?!

And BTW, how do you KNOW they cut RANGE balls ? Do you go retrieve them ? :lol: What do the wedges do to the balls you actually play with ?
[/quote]

Yes, I walk out on the range and retrieve the balls :crazy: Why so condescensing?

Possibly, it's because there is range ball cover IN THE GROOVES of the wedges after a few 3/4 shots. They will fish gill balls I normally play (Penta, B330S) but not on every shot. I have no doubt new wedges will spin more, but these are not completely dead. I realize some pros change their wedges every few weeks... If I got clubs for free, I would do the same thing.

I've thought about your point about the gaps and it makes perfect sense, except for the fact I really do like hitting knockdown pitching wedges because I have been doing it forever. I am not against trying hybrids or a gap wedge at all, and I probably will. I took the 2 iron out of the bag a few years ago for the five wood so I am not totally stuck back in time :lol:

Anyway, thank you guys for your opinions. I am just trying to spend my money in the best order that will bring me the lowest scores, it's really that simple.

Find the weakest part of your game and see if it's the clubs or the person swinging them. Figure out why the clubs aren't working for you and replace them if needed. If you're comfortable with clubs, no need to replace them as long as they're working. Maybe swap the long irons out for something a little more forgiving. You don't have to buy an entire iron set if you don't want. And most of all, buy what you like and that inspires confidence when you look down at it. Hell, I applaud you for not catching the ho bug lots of us have caught. It'd save me a bunch of money if I could abstain from it.

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1311814129' post='3429995']
[quote name='Rockfish' timestamp='1311809423' post='3429813']
[/quote]

Think about it.

[/quote]

Yes, I walk out on the range and retrieve the balls :crazy: Why so condescensing?

Possibly, it's because there is range ball cover IN THE GROOVES of the wedges after a few 3/4 shots. They will fish gill balls I normally play (Penta, B330S) but not on every shot. I have no doubt new wedges will spin more, but these are not completely dead. I realize some pros change their wedges every few weeks... If I got clubs for free, I would do the same thing.

I've thought about your point about the gaps and it makes perfect sense, except for the fact I really do like hitting knockdown pitching wedges because I have been doing it forever. I am not against trying hybrids or a gap wedge at all, and I probably will. I took the 2 iron out of the bag a few years ago for the five wood so I am not totally stuck back in time :lol:

Anyway, thank you guys for your opinions. I am just trying to spend my money in the best order that will bring me the lowest scores, it's really that simple.
[/quote]

Not condescending at all. Sorry you took it that way. It was a joke; apparently a bad one. I'd venture MOST people do NOT go pick up their range balls.

And of course I'm not suggesting ANYONE replace their wedges as often as pros do, but I think "not completely dead" wedges still cutting balls after 12 years, assuming they've been played somewhat regularly, is a bit unusual. OTOH, if you are still shaving the ball, no reason to replace the wedges.

I recently replaced the face of my TM sand wedge after about a year of use and while I hadn't really noticed any difference over the course of that year, when I changed to a new face the difference was EASILY noticeable.

As for your "knockdown", just how consistent is your DISTANCE with it. Most usually hit the "knockdown" because the wind is into them. The knockdown, almost by definition, often requires less than a full swing. As we all know, once you try to "1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 90%", etc. a swing the game gets more difficult, not less; hence a pretty good reason for that gap wedge, a SCORING club.

Love the older bag! The 30s are really solid, and Mizzy pure for sure. I think something like a 21* hybrid in place of your 3 iron might be nice, as well as a new putter if you're so inclined.

I recently advised my dad to get a hybrid to replace his 3 iron as he hit his 4 as far but more accurately. Now, with a 23* hybrid in hand, he's almost deadly from 200-205! I'm even thinking about getting a Fli-hi 3 iron. It might be a really nice bridge from my 19* hybrid to a 4 iron.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='Rockfish' timestamp='1311874377' post='3431664']
Not condescending at all. Sorry you took it that way. It was a joke; apparently a bad one. I'd venture MOST people do NOT go pick up their range balls.

And of course I'm not suggesting ANYONE replace their wedges as often as pros do, but I think "not completely dead" wedges still cutting balls after 12 years, assuming they've been played somewhat regularly, is a bit unusual. OTOH, if you are still shaving the ball, no reason to replace the wedges.

I recently replaced the face of my TM sand wedge after about a year of use and while I hadn't really noticed any difference over the course of that year, when I changed to a new face the difference was EASILY noticeable.

As for your "knockdown", just how consistent is your DISTANCE with it. Most usually hit the "knockdown" because the wind is into them. The knockdown, almost by definition, often requires less than a full swing. As we all know, once you try to "1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 90%", etc. a swing the game gets more difficult, not less; hence a pretty good reason for that gap wedge, a SCORING club.

[/quote]

Yeah, no worries, my sarcasm detector must be broken :friends:

[quote name='lukesmurf59' timestamp='1311878025' post='3431863']
Definitely new wedges. Really though, try a Callaway Razr Hawk Tour or Diablo Octane Tour, the R11 sucks.
[/quote]

I used Callaway woods forever, until I upgraded this year I was still using a GBB II Pro Series. I tried the RHT but just didn't like the look of it really. I tried the 910, and loved it, but I just hit the R11 a bit straighter. I don't think you can really buy a bad premium driver anymore.

Anyway, I think I have reached a consensus for now. I actually forgot to mention before, I play my 9 iron 1/2 degree weak, and my PW one degree weak, so I think they are 43.5* and 48* respectively. I think if I get a new 54 and 60, that will be fine.

I'll also most likely replace the 3 iron with a 21-22* hybrid and get new fairway woods, and then new irons.

Only problem I am having now is two things... Are the R11 fairway woods worth spending the money over the R9's? I really want the FCT but don't care so much about ASP. Also having a hard time deciding between Vokey's or XFT wedges.

I went from the R9 TP to the R11 and haven't looked back. It's adjustable the same amount with the FCT and the ASP adds the visual adjustability to how it sits. Plus it's a nice transition from the R11 driver to my Rescue11, for me anyway. The R9 is good, no doubt but for me the R11 was a tad better and hotter. I really want to try the TI model though, cause I hear it's even hotter.