2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rory at it again

triplebogeyblues

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you must have posted the wrong link. I was expecting a link to a story where Rory talks s--- about Tiger. You linked to one where he makes some fairly innocent (not to mention reasonable) comments about how difficult it is for a golfer to come back after an injury layoff with limited practice time to compete for victory, and how that golfer's competitors should not be scared of him.

Rory shoots from the hip a bit too often. But anyone who thinks that this counts as that is just too desperate for drama.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1312414401' post='3449156']
thread fail....i listened to the interview live and [b]KNEW[/b] something would be here :russian_roulette: and this is from someone who thinks rory is a total punk and overhyped
[/quote]

I thought the same thing as soon as the reporter asked that open ended question. The reporter didn't even give a very good explanation of the question. It seemed that Rory was a little confused as to what the question even meant. Come to think of it I think he even stated something to that effect.

If anyone had heard this interview live they would've seen that this is taken out of context. He complimented Tiger's game, and winning record several times, and saw no comparison to where he was against Tiger's record. I really didn't see any negative statements by Rory during the interview. Seemed pretty light hearted if you ask me.

As someone who was glad he blasted that reporter on Twitter I see nothing wrong with what he said about Tiger. He didn't call Tiger out like Stephen Ames did. However I do feel he may need to learn to keep his mouth shut a little more and speak when it is really needed and not just to hear himself talk. Sometimes less is more! :tongue::tongue:

[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1312394842' post='3448334']
He can probably keep comments like the below to himself.

"I'm sure he expects himself to come out and compete. But given how long he has been out, [i][b]it would be incredible[/b][/i] for him to be able to come out for 72 holes and compete."
[/quote]

Maybe Mcilroy was too caught up with his middle school drama at the time, but there for a while, Tiger was nothing short of... oh yeah: [b]incredible[/b]. He needs to worry about playing his own game. I like both players, but mcilroy's childish comments are getting old quickly.

Let's be real....

Rory is a confident young man borderlining on arrogant/cocky. He is what is going to make golf exciting especially if Tiger can find his form.

A cocky and competetive Rory and on-form Tiger combination could make the next 5-10 years the golfen years of golf and make the last 10 years look like an afterthought. This is especially true after Rory alluded that he is seeking PGA Tour membership in 2012 in today's presser.

Rory is what Sergio should have been but didn't and he does not need his fans making excuses for him. All the current bickering will seem absurd.

[quote name='Drijver' timestamp='1312396616' post='3448455']
Neither a Tiger hater nor a Rory lover

But I think Rory is showing the correct competitive mentality, you can't think of your opponents as scary if you want to win. It's that simple; ask Tiger.
[/quote]

Exactly right. Though I think he could have kept his thoughts to himself in this case, you have to go in to tournaments like these thinking you're going to win. As Seve Ballesteros once said when describing the first tee, “I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you.”

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1312416983' post='3449326']

A cocky and competetive Rory and on-form Tiger combination could make the next 5-10 years the golfen years of golf and make the last 10 years look like an afterthought.
[/quote]

let's not get too out of hand here now

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1312418045' post='3449403']
A cocky and competetive Rory and on-form Tiger combination could make the next 5-10 years the golfen years of golf and make the last 10 years look like an afterthought.
[/quote]

let's not get too out of hand here now
[/quote]

+1

Don't get me wrong, Rory is a great, special player, but c'mon, he's not at the level of prime time TW. Not even close.

Let's be real....

Rory is a confident young man borderlining on arrogant/cocky. He is what is going to make golf exciting especially if Tiger can find his form.

A cocky and competetive Rory and on-form Tiger combination could make the next 5-10 years the golfen years of golf and make the last 10 years look like an afterthought. This is especially true after Rory alluded that he is seeking PGA Tour membership in 2012 in today's presser.

Rory is what Sergio should have been but didn't and he does not need his fans making excuses for him. All the current bickering will seem absurd.
[/quote]

Rory hasn't even shown he can put two good tournaments in a row together. Lets slow down on giving him the crown.

I'm going to say... 4 pages til this goes full thread lock down. Any takers?

It's only a matter of time before Rory goes into full public lock down mode:
[b]
Interviewer[/b]: Rory, how do you see Tiger in this field?
[b]Rory:[/b] I just take it one shot at a time. I can't get ahead of myself

[b]Interviewer:[/b] Rory, do you expect Tiger can be competitive after such a long layoff?
[b]Rory:[/b] I'm going to play 18 holes. I have to stay focused for all 18.

[b]Interviewer:[/b] Rory, do you agree with Hunter? Is it 'scary' to see Tiger out here again?
[b]Rory:[/b] I'm going back to my hotel, and I'll probably eat grill cheese, and maybe even put a strip of bacon on it.

Is that what you guys want?

Four pages.... maybe 5.

I guess it would be frustrating for anyone to ask you about someone else throughout your interview so I'm sure as a young successful golfer he got tired of it. As for his responses...well I suppose he is like his countryman (Clarke). He says what he wants to say. Clarke his idol growing up was very open about smoking, drinking and eating whatever he wanted even though it wasn't "proper." Not sure if that had any influence but it leads to some publicity lol

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

Just to put the nail in this stupid thread, here is the actual transcript from the interview. Not that the OP would really want to take the time to see what he really said, but to summarize the interviewer asked what he thinks of when Hunter said he's 'scared' of Tiger, never actually adding the context of what Hunter said by using scared.

[b]Q. What do you think would be a success for Tiger this week in terms of what he could get out of the week? [/b]
RORY McILROY: I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. The last tournament he played, he had to pull out after nine holes, so I think just to see how his knee holds up over 72 holes. And if he can do that, then I think the week has been -- no one expects him to come out and play well. I'm sure he expects himself to come out and play and compete, but given the length of layoff and considering that he's only been able to hit full shots for the last two weeks or whatever, it would be an unbelievable effort if he was to come back and compete.
But I think just get through 72 holes and maybe finish in the top 20 I think would be a really good effort.
[b]
[/b]
[b]Q. How has life in the spotlight changed after your major win, especially when people were starting to say the next Tiger Woods?[/b]
RORY McILROY: Yeah, it's been -- I've never paid attention to the comparisons or potential, whatever they say, whether it be Tiger's 14 or Jack's 18 or whatever. All I'm doing is looking for my second major and basically looking for my fourth career win, wherever it may come. I mean, people make comparisons to Tiger who's won over 70 PGA TOUR events, 14 majors, and Jack has won 18 majors and hundreds of tournaments. I mean, I'm looking for my fourth win. That's all I can say about that.
[b]
[/b]
[b][u]Q. A little bit earlier Hunter Mahan was in here, and he said that in a way the prospects of Tiger's return are scary. And I asked him why is that and based on what. What's your reaction to a notion like that, that there's something about his return which is in a way scary? [/u][/b]
RORY McILROY: To be honest I don't understand what he means by scary. I think it's great for golf, his return. And someone that's playing in this tournament or competing against another player shouldn't think that a return of a player is scary. It could be a challenge, but it's not something that you should be scared of. It's something that you should relish and say, well, if Tiger does come back and play his best, at least that's the benchmark that I'm going to try and achieve.

[b]Q. He did make that broad of a point. I don't want to twist his words completely, but he said that and I just wanted your reaction. [/b]
RORY McILROY: Yeah, I think it would be -- I wouldn't use the word "scary," but it would be maybe a little intimidating if you knew for sure that he was going to come back and play the way he did in 2000 or 2001, but who knows for sure what way the game is going to go.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=73228

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1312429653' post='3450138']
Tiger lovers are a defensive bunch. What a stretch this is, you're really grasping at straws. Your insecurity about the future of your fallen hero is showing.
[/quote]

however the overhyping of rory is worse....convenient oversight

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='ProForceX' timestamp='1312416392' post='3449283']
[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1312394842' post='3448334']
He can probably keep comments like the below to himself.

"I'm sure he expects himself to come out and compete. But given how long he has been out, [i][b]it would be incredible[/b][/i] for him to be able to come out for 72 holes and compete."
[/quote]

[i]Maybe Mcilroy was too caught up with his middle school drama at the time, but there for a while, Tiger was nothing short of... oh yeah: [b]incredible[/b].[/i] He needs to worry about playing his own game. I like both players, but mcilroy's childish comments are getting old quickly.
[/quote]

I have no idea what this piece of your post has to do with what Rory was saying. Mind you, i don't see any childish comment either.
I also can't see why this has even warranted a thread of this nature. The OP must read in a different type of English to me. TBB, I take it you just like picking holes in anything that is said about Tiger and coming up with the answer of trash talk/calling out etc.... Like some policeman who hinks he's found a crime scene when infact there's been no crime.
Let's look at the facts, Tiger has been out for for the best part of 4 months with a bad injury. It's his first competition back and he'll be playing four rounds(hopefully!). McIlroy knows Tiger, will have been in contact with him no doubt during his recovery time, and will know roughly how Tiger has been doing Re: practice and how he is feeling about things.
So are Rory's comments bad. Tiger himself says that he [b][i]hopes[/i][/b] he can compete. [b][i]He[/i][/b] knows that it will be tough to do so first comp back.

You always call the Tiger hater card, maybe you should take the Tiger blinkers off once in a while.

Rory at it again? TBB at it again?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1312425820' post='3450022']
Just to put the nail in this stupid thread, here is the actual transcript from the interview. Not that the OP would really want to take the time to see what he really said, but to summarize the interviewer asked what he thinks of when Hunter said he's 'scared' of Tiger, never actually adding the context of what Hunter said by using scared.

[b]Q. What do you think would be a success for Tiger this week in terms of what he could get out of the week? [/b]
RORY McILROY: I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. The last tournament he played, he had to pull out after nine holes, so I think just to see how his knee holds up over 72 holes. And if he can do that, then I think the week has been -- no one expects him to come out and play well. I'm sure he expects himself to come out and play and compete, but given the length of layoff and considering that he's only been able to hit full shots for the last two weeks or whatever, it would be an unbelievable effort if he was to come back and compete.
But I think just get through 72 holes and maybe finish in the top 20 I think would be a really good effort.
[b]
[/b]
[b]Q. How has life in the spotlight changed after your major win, especially when people were starting to say the next Tiger Woods?[/b]
RORY McILROY: Yeah, it's been -- I've never paid attention to the comparisons or potential, whatever they say, whether it be Tiger's 14 or Jack's 18 or whatever. All I'm doing is looking for my second major and basically looking for my fourth career win, wherever it may come. I mean, people make comparisons to Tiger who's won over 70 PGA TOUR events, 14 majors, and Jack has won 18 majors and hundreds of tournaments. I mean, I'm looking for my fourth win. That's all I can say about that.
[b]
[/b]
[b][u]Q. A little bit earlier Hunter Mahan was in here, and he said that in a way the prospects of Tiger's return are scary. And I asked him why is that and based on what. What's your reaction to a notion like that, that there's something about his return which is in a way scary? [/u][/b]
RORY McILROY: To be honest I don't understand what he means by scary. I think it's great for golf, his return. And someone that's playing in this tournament or competing against another player shouldn't think that a return of a player is scary. It could be a challenge, but it's not something that you should be scared of. It's something that you should relish and say, well, if Tiger does come back and play his best, at least that's the benchmark that I'm going to try and achieve.

[b]Q. He did make that broad of a point. I don't want to twist his words completely, but he said that and I just wanted your reaction. [/b]
RORY McILROY: Yeah, I think it would be -- I wouldn't use the word "scary," but it would be maybe a little intimidating if you knew for sure that he was going to come back and play the way he did in 2000 or 2001, but who knows for sure what way the game is going to go.

[url="http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=73228"]http://www.asapsport...ew.php?id=73228[/url]

[/quote]
This needs to be reposted after every negative post until it finally sinks in

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[b]
[/b]
[b]
[/b]

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=73228
[/quote]

To the OP and others that see rory talking trash on Tiger in this interview, you really should stay inside and have too much interaction with the general public because your skin is WAY too thin.

Every comment that doesn't start and end with "I will never be as great as Tiger" is not an insult aimed at Tiger. Really it's not. rory said that he is glad tigers back and that anyone that is a competitor should welcome that because he sets the bar for the rest of the players. Ooooooo thems fighten words....

Grow up. Don't be critical of those who defend rory and overhype him when you ar doing the same of Tiger.

I think a lot of this slanting is done, by the media. We have seen time and time again they tried to pit Mickelson and Tiger against each other, but it never worked. The new option is the US vs the European players, and now that Tiger is back it is the old guard versus the young. I think the thing that it does do is generate some buzz, and I bet the ratings for this weeks tournament are off the charts.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

If you actually read the full transcript of what was said, his comments seem very balanced, fair and reasonable. I'd even go so far as to say they were quite supportive of Tiger.

But then some on these boards, usually the Tiger sycophants, never take the time to look at comments in their full and proper context and invariably take trashy news articles at face value - as if the media is always fair and objective and never twist things to make a story out of nothing. Sad really.

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1312451300' post='3450612']

[b]
[/b]
[b]
[/b]

[url="http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=73228"]http://www.asapsport...ew.php?id=73228[/url]

[/quote]
This needs to be reposted after every negative post until it finally sinks in
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen the whole transcript and sadly assumed the OP was telling the whole story which they obviously weren't. Sad to see people just trying to start trouble and rally a bunch of people against a 22 year old kid. It's comforting to see how completely this plan failed.

Probably time for the lock I would assume. No need to encourage trolling.

Ugh. I think I've read enough.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]