Stricker: I want Tiger

Steve Hennessey

Steve Stricker went undefeated in the '09 Presidents Cup with Tiger, so it only makes sense he wants Tiger on the U.S. side, right?

Stricker says he would like Tiger to be playing at Royal Melbourne for this year's Presidents Cup, and hopes he follows Fred Couples' desires and plays in more events before heading to Australia.

Do you agree with The Strick Show? Read what he had to say here (Stricker wants Woods back as a partner), and let us know what you think.

----

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good.

Tiger is a virtual lock for the team in my opinion. He said in his blog today that he's been talking to Fred Couples and they're going to get it worked out...and even if Tiger only plays the Aussie Open, I'm sure he'll convince Freddy that his game is good enough to be on the team. He wants to be on the team, the other team members want him on the team, and the team captain wants him on the team. And he'll be on the team.

Politics aside Tiger just plain isn't playing very good. That is nice Stricker wants him but does he really think just by being on the team Tiger's game is going to come around. He is fiddling with three putters (maybe a long one next). His iron distance is all over the map because he is hitting it much purer. His driver is longer but is getting worse by the tournament in terms of accuracy.....

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1314056998' post='3510903']
Politics aside Tiger just plain isn't playing very good. That is nice Stricker wants him but does he really think just by being on the team Tiger's game is going to come around. He is fiddling with three putters (maybe a long one next). His iron distance is all over the map because he is hitting it much purer. His driver is longer but is getting worse by the tournament in terms of accuracy.....
[/quote]

God forbid they actually decide to pick a younger player who is playing well. What a joke.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1314058955' post='3511009']
[/quote]

God forbid they actually decide to pick a younger player who is playing well. What a joke.
[/quote]

God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.

[quote name='bombngouge' timestamp='1314060281' post='3511078']
I'm getting sick of hearing tiger this and tiger that blah blah blah. mark my word he will be on the team and his team will lose because he plays like crap.
[/quote]

Consider your word marked.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314059945' post='3511059']
[/quote]

[/quote]

God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.
[/quote]

Ok, then pick Daly and Woods.

[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1314062008' post='3511167']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on man... ur better than that

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314063523' post='3511266']
[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1314062008' post='3511167']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on man... ur better than that
[/quote]

Hey I'm not the one suggesting the President's Cup is a mere friendly exhibition.

I don't really care what Tiger wants...here's what's important...What is Couples' JOB?

A) Build a team that will draw the best ratings on TV?

B) Build a team with the best chance of winning the event?

If his job is B, and he still picks Woods, he isn't doing his job.

If his job is A, then the role of captain of a President's Cup team is a lot less significant than I thought.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

The Tv ratings will increase regardless if he wins or looses! All the haters want to see him crash and burn and all the fans are going to be there! And i think he will really have his game together by then.. The guys a great athleate he is not going to forget how to hit a ball over night, he just needs to shake the rust off.

You can understand why Stricker wants him but surely you can't compare Tiger 09 form to Tiger 11 form?

But Tiger will probably play just to draw a crowd rather than on merit, how sad...

Same could have been said for Tiger going into the 2010 Ryder Cup...How did F. Molinari do against him?

What I find sad is the 1-6-1 record the International team has in this exhibition. black%20eye.gif

This is what I find interesting...
Notice whenever any of the players who were around and witnessed Tiger during his real dominating years..whenever any of those players are asked about Tiger and his game or whatever, they always answer as if they believe he is still the best player in the world. As if hes just one tournament away from being right back to how he was before. Some of these younger guys, they dont seem to respond in quite the same way.

Thats what strikes me about this Stricker deal and with Freddie too. Recalling the decade of golf from Tiger that they personally witnessed and thinking that if he could just be 85% of what he was that would be good enough. Of course its not literally that way but in a sense it seems as if thats how a lot of these older players think. Its like they think that he was soooo much better than everyone else before, if he could just be almost as good as before then he would still be one of the top players.

I dont believe that these guys are actively thinking like this. It just seems to me like the thought of the old Tiger still lingers in their minds.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1314070856' post='3511662']
This is what I find interesting...
Notice whenever any of the players who were around and witnessed Tiger during his real dominating years..whenever any of those players are asked about Tiger and his game or whatever, they always answer as if they believe he is still the best player in the world. As if hes just one tournament away from being right back to how he was before. Some of these younger guys, they dont seem to respond in quite the same way.

Thats what strikes me about this Stricker deal and with Freddie too. Recalling the decade of golf from Tiger that they personally witnessed and thinking that if he could just be 85% of what he was that would be good enough. Of course its not literally that way but in a sense it seems as if thats how a lot of these older players think. Its like they think that he was soooo much better than everyone else before, if he could just be almost as good as before then he would still be one of the top players.

I dont believe that these guys are actively thinking like this. It just seems to me like the thought of the old Tiger still lingers in their minds.
[/quote]

Brilliant post. I have to agree with you.

The debate of whether tiger should be picked or not though is disappointing on some level. Those arguing for his being picked base the selection on the fact that it would make for better television. Is that what we've come to? Artificially rigging sporting events to make for greater television ratings? I'm a tiger fan, but first and foremost, I'm a golf fan. I would MUCH rather watch great golf than watch tiger to see if he implodes.

The fact remains, tiger may have caused people to take up the game, but he did not create golf fans, he and the marketing dept.s of the PGA and the networks, created tiger fans.

[quote name='Steve Hennessey' timestamp='1314051103' post='3510650']
Steve Stricker went undefeated in the '09 Presidents Cup with Tiger, so it only makes sense he wants Tiger on the U.S. side, right?

Stricker says he would like Tiger to be playing at Royal Melbourne for this year's Presidents Cup, and hopes he follows Fred Couples' desires and plays in more events before heading to Australia.

Do you agree with The Strick Show? Read what he had to say here ([url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/stricker-says-he-wants-woods-back-as-a-partner.html"]Stricker wants Woods back as a partner[/url]), and let us know what you think.

----
[/quote]

Another Golf Digest attempt to stir the pot there, Mr. Hennesssey?

match play is so much different than stroke play. this will help tiger, no doubt. his match play record speaks for itself.

this is why they are called captain's picks, the capt can pick whoever he feels like, it's his prerogative . it's not supposed to be fair. if it was fair, they would just choose the 11th and 12th place guys on the points list

also, why wouldn't steve want tiger? they have a pretty good record as a team. One loss in the last two team events

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other, but this constant babble about him in the President's Cup is getting to be to much.

One of the things that's hilarious about the Tiger Woods apologist is the duality they display in their posts. Without naming names, I remember some of you here VERY clearly having a cow about Michelle Wie playing in men's events. How she was "stealing" a spot from a more deserving player, how she didn't belong there based on talent and how it was just a marketing move. How it was only done for ratings. Yet now when it's "your Tiger," in question, my how the tide turns. True there is a difference between the President's Cup and a tour event, but the spirit of the discussion is virtually the same.
Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how he gets TV ratings as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.

Personally, I can't wait and I desperately hope he plays. I can't wait to see him get absolutely destroyed by whoever he plays. He can hide behind Stricker all he wants, sooner or later he's going to have to play singles and seeing the inevitable trashing that Scott or anyone else will give him is going to be fabulous. If he is paired against Scott especially with Stevie on the bag, don't be surprised to see the crowd openly booing him.