2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Amateurs with Staff Bags...Yes or No?(merged)

I love my staff bag it fits everything, I ride most of the time and have a cart bag and clic gear cart for days I walk...
At least I look good and hack fast.. Haha

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

I shot 106 today and I think I did good, considering I'm 14, been playing for 4 months, and I have been fighting and offline driver for a couple weeks, I had 2 good drives all day, and was hitting lots of 4's in 2 and finishing with 5, I might buy a staffer for riding, and still use my stand bag for walking when I do.

Just won the Major Call Contest TM/Adidas has during the Open. Just received 2011 The Open Staff bag in black/red color scheme and it is one of the best staff bags I've ever seen. I'll def be using this when I'm riding! Don't really care what anyone says or whether I should even be using it...its a damn good looking bag! :)

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

I personally don't care whether I see someone out there using staff bags. I work at a course and one of the regulars (who actually ending up becoming a good golf buddy of mine, playing together every few weeks), he has a staff bag and always walks. But he has the game (3 hdcp) and etiquette to back it up. He's one of the most polite golfers I've ever met. Never stands in the wrong place. Always says good shot.

Not that I'm saying I care if an 18 hdcp has a stand bag, it just looks better seeing a better golfer have one.

But personally I'm against stand bags unless you're riding. Things are too damn heavy

I use an 8.5" Taylormade black staff bag. I use a staff bag because I hat having to jam clubs into smaller bags and I hate trying to pull a club out of some bag with an "organizer" that just takes up room.

I also cannot stand these new "cart" bags that have the strap on 'inside' or cart side of the bag. I want the strap on the back where I can put it on my shoulder while it's still on the back of the cart.

As far as those huge steamer trunk staff bags, 11.5" and such, well it's personal preference I guess, but I don't get it.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1311298462' post='3412824']
Just won the Major Call Contest TM/Adidas has during the Open. Just received 2011 The Open Staff bag in black/red color scheme and it is one of the best staff bags I've ever seen. I'll def be using this when I'm riding! Don't really care what anyone says or whether I should even be using it...its a damn good looking bag! :)
[/quote]

really like the bag. really want to get one.
any idea where I can get?

[quote name='drALOT' timestamp='1311814615' post='3430011']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I won mine from the Adidas/Taylormade "Major Call" contest they had on facebook. I tried searching for it to see how much it costs but I didnt see one anywhere, not even on ebay. I thought about selling mine, but now I'm thinking it might be a real collectors item.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1311815014' post='3430022']
[quote name='drALOT' timestamp='1311814615' post='3430011']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I won mine from the Adidas/Taylormade "Major Call" contest they had on facebook. I tried searching for it to see how much it costs but I didnt see one anywhere, not even on ebay. I thought about selling mine, but now I'm thinking it might be a real collectors item.
[/quote]

If you want to sell it, let me know..
yes, it is great bag.

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1304712427' post='3213040']
Gave my dad the 2011 season opener Taylormade staff bag I won on here. He emails me every week saying how much he loves it and all the compliments he gets on it. My father is going to be 72 this July. Does anyone think he is a poser or doesn't deserve a staff bag to wheel around?

Who gives a crud what kind of bag someone has.
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better myself Buck.

I walk a lot - I don't want a staff bag. If I rode - I might get one. And if I did - I'd definitely have my name on it. Not because I want to pretend to be a pro...but why not? It's my freaking bag. A friend of mine just got a new Ogio carry bag and had his name embroidered on it....He owns a law practice and wants his brand on his bag... Not a poser....just a good idea.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

One thing I see over and over in topics like this is a variation of the following: "I always see better players carrying." The thing that confuses me about this is simple. Who actually thinks that carrying their bag will make them a better player, outside of the cardiovascular and muscular advantages (and disadvantages too, like spine compression). I have always thought that the only think that will make me a better player is practice and play.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Kai'li S
Titleist 910F 15* Kai'li S
Taylormade RBZ hybrid 20* S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10
Ping Anser Milled 0 -or- Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1312219262' post='3442344']
Better players carry stand bags because they play too much golf, which hinders their professional life, thus forcing them to forego the cart fee.

It's science. :beruo:
[/quote]

I switched to a stand bag when I started playing more, too - for every four rounds or so that I opt out of a cart, I save enough money for another round!! :partytime2:

Too bad I'm not a "better" player... just a more frequent player.

I have a staffbag and could care less about what people say. I don't see the need to carry a bag around, id rather save my energy for playing golf, than carrying 14 clubs, water and various stuff around on my shoulders.

I never ride in a cart.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

I have a Ping carry bag that I use most of the time. I also have the Titleist S83 staff bag (smaller - 9 1/2 inch - of the two Titleist staff bags). It fits easily on any golf cart. I use this when going on vacation. It can hold extra shoes, rainsuit, umbrella and lots of extras I bring with me on trips. If I try to stuff all that in my Ping bag it looks like it wants to explode.

Okay we are all in agreement of a few things:

-Staff bags are no different than stand bags in the sense that both have the companies name/logo on them
-Staff bags are a personal preference vice a stand bag
-Staff bags have more room than stand bags

The only minor discrepancy I see with staff bags is this, when you see someone lug around a huge staff bag with their name and the whole nine yards it screams "Look at me. I am important. I either have too much money to know what to do with or I am a professional golfer." What does this do? It causes people to stop and watch. To scrutinize. To create threads like this. Why the hell else would you put your name on a staff bag if you didn't want to get noticed? In case you were in a car wreck and had amnesia?

Plus with the whole 'logo' debacle, I don't generally notice what brand someones stand bag is. I always notice what brand someones staff bag is.

Me personally, I own a staff bag but have used it I think once in my life. It didn't provide anything different that my stand bag didn't. Plus, outside of a nice tournament setting, I think they look out of place. Now do I care to the point where it will ruin my round or make me want to say something to someone? Nope. I will just laugh when that person get's the extra attention that they appear to hate, and they shank off a few on the first hole.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1313070063' post='3472974']
Okay we are all in agreement of a few things:

-Staff bags are no different than stand bags in the sense that both have the companies name/logo on them
-Staff bags are a personal preference vice a stand bag
-Staff bags have more room than stand bags

The only minor discrepancy I see with staff bags is this, when you see someone lug around a huge staff bag with their name and the whole nine yards it screams "Look at me. I am important. I either have too much money to know what to do with or I am a professional golfer." What does this do? It causes people to stop and watch. To scrutinize. To create threads like this. Why the hell else would you put your name on a staff bag if you didn't want to get noticed? In case you were in a car wreck and had amnesia?

Plus with the whole 'logo' debacle, I don't generally notice what brand someones stand bag is. I always notice what brand someones staff bag is.

Me personally, I own a staff bag but have used it I think once in my life. It didn't provide anything different that my stand bag didn't. Plus, outside of a nice tournament setting, I think they look out of place. Now do I care to the point where it will ruin my round or make me want to say something to someone? Nope. I will just laugh when that person get's the extra attention that they appear to hate, and they shank off a few on the first hole.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say every golfer with a staff bag is trying to say "look at me". I know we had an avid golfer in my company and when he retired we got him a staff bag with his name stitched in. He loved it.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1313096000' post='3474773']

I wouldn't say every golfer with a staff bag is trying to say "look at me". I know we had an avid golfer in my company and when he retired we got him a staff bag with his name stitched in. He loved it.
[/quote]

I never said that it was the golfers intentions, but that is the unfortunate result of having something like a staff bag IMO.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Just to lighten the mood...

I love my staff bags...I have 3 of them.

The 3rd bag was my Dad's who was a scratch golfer, I guess it's true that it skips a generation as I am a 14 handicap. Hopefully my son will be scratch LOL.

My wife loves golf, although she hates to play and has given it up - she loves to watch and knows all the recent stats, standings, etc on tour. About 4 or 5 years ago I used to bring my staff bags to play, one day she made a comment and said "You really should't use those bags until you start shooting consistently in th 70's".

LOL, now my staff bags are in the garage holding all the other clubs I have...

I think if I ever start shooting in the 70's I'll still use a carry bag, really no need for a staff bag - but they sure look nice!

My vote - who cares! There is an expectation though that you better be good if you show up with a staff bag at the local muni, especially if you have your name on the bag!

The big belt buckles and white pants at one point also carried the same expectation!

There's a problem with the poll results.

[quote=thread title page]8,134 Views

Today, 01:13 AM[/quote]

"Who cares" is clearly winning however 8 thousand plus people clearly care enough see what all the fuss is about.

:)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1313633884' post='3497696']

"Who cares" is clearly winning however 8 thousand plus people clearly care enough see what all the fuss is about.

[/quote]

The count includes multiple hits by the same viewer, so 8,000 + people is more likely a few hundred people with multiple hits each.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1313676889' post='3498742']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1313633884' post='3497696']

[/quote]

The count includes multiple hits by the same viewer, so 8,000 + people is more likely a few hundred people with multiple hits each.
[/quote]

Likely quite a bit more than that.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I'm in the "They can be very nice but leave your name off of it." category. If you NEED to put your name on it don't make it prominent. As an amateur, your name isn't a brand so it looks a little narcissistic if you have it large and in charge on the bag.

I always thought it would be cool to get a custom "logo" with my own swing silhouette on it or something. My swing is terrible but I think it would be a cool but subtle way of making it MINE without having my name all over the thing. Maybe it's too much?

I voted "yes." Only carried one as a caddy for a competitor in the USGA Mid-Amateur once. But I say why not to big bags, naked lady tees, too many pics in the parking lot, and putters with cigar filled shafts. The cheese can be refresshing. Recently I saw a dude here in SF driving a brand new Corvette. The only thing was that he looked as though he had driven it straight off the lot directly to a pin striper who went crazy. The cherry on top--the guy had big swooping cursive script painted on the side his door that read "Bill." Big thumbs up. You know he ain't rolling down the fairway with some Sun Mountain garbage.

My big "No" vote will go for any pull cart use. Either hump it or drive--never pull cart it! That's been a personal rule since 1989--Sorry gramps!

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1313100535' post='3474968']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1313096000' post='3474773']
[/quote]

I never said that it was the golfers intentions, but that is the unfortunate result of having something like a staff bag IMO.
[/quote]

Hmm i guess that also refers to the guy that drives a BMW or a Maybach or a Cadillac they just want people to say look at me, it couldn't have been that they just like the car for whatever reason, and God forbid it has a personalized license plate on it too Oh Oh.
In the grand scheme of life does it matter what bag the person uses, the car they drove to the course, the color scheme of their golf clothes, face it we all like something different. SO as long as the person is playing at an acceptable pace of play, is respecting the other golfers on the course as well as the course, and is having a good time WHO GIVES A DARN!!!!