2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Airline trashes PGA Tour players clubs

pga43

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1317065439' post='3592376']
And THAT'S why I don't fly with my clubs...
[/quote]

Do you ship them ahead of you via FedEx? Was thinking of exploring that option for my Dec. trip to Doral.

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1317064624' post='3592324']
The airlines managed to drag Lee Janzen's golf bag behind the luggage tram and destroyed his whole set. The 60* wedge ended up at 22* loft and 30* lie.
[/quote]

Was the 60* shaft damaged? If it was, I would be in the Callaway Truck to reshaft that Wedge and seeing how playable it would be with the guys on the range.

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

[quote name='Mizunofan' timestamp='1317068360' post='3592497']
[/quote]

Do you ship them ahead of you via FedEx? Was thinking of exploring that option for my Dec. trip to Doral.
[/quote]

Have you looked at threads with people getting their stuff broken with Fed Ex and other carriers? It's all a crap shoot. A well packed bag will make it fine with the airline 99.99% of the time, just like Fed Ex. They both will likely throw and abuse your stuff so make sure to pack well. Here it was probably just dumb luck that it fell off the trolley and snagged on something while the driver didn't notice.

This stinks for Janzen, but maybe club glove will work on a burst AND fire proof line of travel bags.

I'm not sure what I find more amazing; the fact that Lee Janzen flies commercial (at all) or that a LW can be bent like that by anything.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

[quote name='MarkCPA' timestamp='1317070227' post='3592583']
I'm not sure what I find more amazing; the fact that Lee Janzen flies commercial (at all) or that a LW can be bent like that by anything.
[/quote]

How much money do you think Lee Janzen has built up? Billions? Flying private is insanely expensive....The guys on tour often split costs, get it taken care of by the tournament that wants them to show up and many have sponsorship with netjets or a similar company that takes care of their transportation......

Impressive the clubs bent that far and didn't snap!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1317071318' post='3592633']
Impressive the clubs bent that far and didn't snap!
[/quote]

I took a (demo) MP32 6 iron and bent it to 54*....then bent it to 20*'s. Then it cracked. haha. They were going to throw it out so I used it to teach someone else how to bend clubs. Both times I bent it, it was one smooth motion.

[/quote]

What about the billions of clubs and bags that they have shipped successfully? Do the math, I like my odds of the clubs flying with me on a plane rather than shipping them with a carrier. (or even ::gasp:: [i]renting [/i]clubs)

I flown with my clubs hundreds of times, with the exception of one mishap in Myrtle Beach*. My clubs have remained unscathed. (my second Clubglove looks like it's been through a war but the sticks are fine).

* Two years ago, I landed in Myrtle but my clubs didn't. They (and my big suitcase) arrived via a taxi cab the next morning with 10 minutes to spare before leaving for our tee time. That mishap taught me to pack a[b] complete change of clothes, golf shoes, and a golf glove in my carry on bag[/b]. The airline would have paid for club rentals until the clubs arrived, but not shoes. To the airlines credit, on that trip, the passengers changed equipment (planes) due to some mechanical issues so I had to make a different connection. It was no surprise my bags were mia.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1317069852' post='3592563']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you looked at threads with people getting their stuff broken with Fed Ex and other carriers? It's all a crap shoot. A well packed bag will make it fine with the airline 99.99% of the time, just like Fed Ex. They both will likely throw and abuse your stuff so make sure to pack well. Here it was probably just dumb luck that it fell off the trolley and snagged on something while the driver didn't notice.

This stinks for Janzen, but maybe club glove will work on a burst AND fire proof line of travel bags.
[/quote]

Not true. I work in the transportation indusrty and i can tell you stuff does not get thrown This kind of damage is much more harsh looks like fork lift damage both fedex & UPS have automated systems so their is not much person to person handling. Regardless it's still embarrassing.

marquis jet / net jets??

I really feel sorry for him that sucks

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ghost Tour Daytona 12 35´´[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SM 5 58°/8 PX 6.5 +1´´ 1° up
SM 5 52°/8 PX 6.5 +0.75´´ 1° strong 1°up
712 MB (3-PW) PX 7.0 +0.5´´ 2° strong 1° up[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]910 H 17° (A1) Speeder 904 X 40.25´´
913 FD 13.5° (D1) Diamana White D+ 82 X 43´´
910 D3 8.5° (D1) Pro Launch Red X 45´´[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist stand bag ultra lightweight, Titleist glooves, FootJoy shoes[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lamkin Crossline Midsize for irons / wedges and Standard 58 for hybrid / woods[/font][/size]

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1317073402' post='3592719']
[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1317069852' post='3592563']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not true. I work in the transportation indusrty and i can tell you stuff does not get thrown This kind of damage is much more harsh looks like fork lift damage both fedex & UPS have automated systems so their is not much person to person handling. Regardless it's still embarrassing.
[/quote]

While its true packages are sorted by machines they still get loaded/unloaded by hand. Most of that is done by kids and while its a smaller percentage of the workers there are some that just dont care and they do abuse the packages. I have worked for UPS loading and unloading for 18 years. I have seen it all.

Not real surprised it bent that much and didn't break. One company, who's rep I was asking over the phone about how much their clubs could be bent, told me he took one of their (not Callaway) forged wedges and bent the loft 50 degrees lower and then 50 higher (from their standard lofts) for a full 100 degrees of adjustability to see if it could take it. It did and he then bent it back. He said as long as you don't paperclip it (bend back and forth back and forth rapidly and for an extended period of time) you won't break them.

[quote name='lukesmurf59' timestamp='1317069111' post='3592527']
Oh my god, that's horrible! I might die if that happened to my X-proto's... Just goes to show you how soft the forging on those Callaway wedges are if they can bend that much, That really sucks, but at least he can get new ones right away, thank god that didn't happen to some normal guy
[/quote]

Sorry for the thread jack, but I love your avatar!!! Look at mine! Beatles forever!!!!!! :partytime2:

That's disgusting - saw the post via WRX's tweet. Can't believe that they would do that - that is his job, as much as an airline demolishing a web designer's laptop. russian_roulette.gif

Well...If a web designer can get Apple to immediately fed ex him a brand new not available to the public laptop that he can have that afternoon with all his pertinent information on it. ;)

Littlepingman...I read you're post and was like teehee a dig at weir...he deserves it! But a quick google search later and MY GOD!!!! You werent kidding.....

I tried my hand at googling for this and was unsuccessful... link?

[quote name='DSea3' timestamp='1317067233' post='3592466']
[quote name='pingmatt' timestamp='1317066108' post='3592412']
He should have shipped them via FedEx.
[/quote]

Fedex Kinkos....Good People!

Quick what movie??

[/quote]

don't know, but those 'good people' have a nice sponsorship opportunity staring them in the face...

That's disgusting - saw the post via WRX's tweet. Can't believe that they would do that - that is his job, as much as an airline demolishing a web designer's laptop. russian_roulette.gif

Well...If a web designer can get Apple to immediately fed ex him a brand new not available to the public laptop that he can have that afternoon with all his pertinent information on it. ;)

Littlepingman...I read you're post and was like teehee a dig at weir...he deserves it! But a quick google search later and MY GOD!!!! You werent kidding.....

Weir is a lefty....

FedEx is not a great option for the pros. First of all FedEx would not pick them up until sometime on Monday and then deliver them on Tuesday. That could mean two days at the new site without practice.

I once had a friend ship his clubs to my house via FedEx and they arrived with a broken driver. FedEx is not perfect either. I ship my clubs all the time. In fact they are in the trunk of my car right now for a trip I am taking tomorrow where I will get in two rounds of golf in Denver. I use a club glove and a stiff arm. I pack them well and use a TSA approved lock to keep them secure. That said I do all that because I paid for my clubs myself. I value them and can't call my manufacturer sponsor to send me a new set if something happens to them. For the most part the airlines move hundreds or even thousands of sets of clubs every day without incident. This was a once in a million incident. Who knows if he had them packed well or locked. It is a shame but far from the norm.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood and Heavenwood
Callaway XR 4 Hybrid and 5 Hybrid
Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW
Callaway MD3 54S and 60W Wedges
Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser Counterbalance Putter

Wow. Hope his putter made it out okay at least.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

This sorta reminds me of Mike Weir's 7-iron.

post-123025-0-94144400-1317064596_thumb.jpg

This is great, I laughed for a good minute about this. cheesy.gif

The airlines managed to drag Lee Janzen's golf bag behind the luggage tram and destroyed his whole set. The 60* wedge ended up at 22* loft and 30* lie.

Was the 60* shaft damaged? If it was, I would be in the Callaway Truck to reshaft that Wedge and seeing how playable it would be with the guys on the range.

Guess I wasn't the only one curious about that, I'd love to see a clip of him trying to hit the club. But I bet WRXers would love to hit it as is with all the onset that shaft has now!

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

[quote name='bossdog' timestamp='1317072154' post='3592667']
Or at least do a test shipment first with his fiancees wedding dress, his prototype machine, and a map to the fountain of youth.[quote name='pingmatt' timestamp='1317066108' post='3592412']
He should have shipped them via FedEx.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='TNTlefty' timestamp='1317086504' post='3593214']
2 words - shrink ray!

[url="http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13700000/Vector-the-shrink-ray-despicable-me-13771066-616-315.jpg"]http://images2.fanpo...066-616-315.jpg[/url]
[/quote]
LOL I love those FedEx golf ads, especially the shrink ray one.

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

which airline was this? I might be able to take a well-educated guess being an avid traveler.... black%20eye.gif

Titleist 915D3 9.5* w/DI-6x Black
Titleist 915F 15* w/DI-8x Black
Titleist AP2 (2-P) w/KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey Customized 54*+60*
Scotty Cameron Custom Circle T Newport 2
Sun Mountain Black H2NO Bag