Winter Training

Lefty330

Well now that Winter is here I really want to get into shape for next season.

As far as my golf game goes I am going to put a little putting area in my basement. I also am going to go to the indoor practice thing with one of those big screens that you can play courses as far as keeping my golf game up. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can do.

Another question is what are your eating habits, what different exercises do you do for working out, and anything else you do as far as your golf game/golf fitness.

-Lefty

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get into shape obviously it first depends what kind of shape you are in now.

If your relatively healthy and not extremely over or under weight then your eating habits should be alright.

As for working out, when I came back from my co-op job I really started getting into golf fitness. I have found working with a core ball, medicine ball and a bosu ball have helped tremendasly with stability, balance, flexibility and power generation. Also in addition to these exercises I have been working out 5 times a week working on muscles such as core, butt, upper and lower legs, biceps and triceps. The first 4 especially will allow you to generate more power in your swing and hit the ball further.

I'm getting a set of small weights

I'm getting a Powerball

I'm getting a weighted 6 iron with the same type of shaft like in a momentus

All of this is aimed towards hitting the ball further, some think this is a bit silly but I seriously need more distance. I'm 13 and I weigh just more than 6 stone!!! I need to strike the ball really well to get decent distances but I need the extra power so that it makes up for if I don't make a perfect swing.

I'm currently getting lessons... I went through a slump and then I went for video swing lessons! Best €35 per 30 mins ever (first private lessons). In 2 lessons I went from hitting:

70 yard low pull 6 irons

TO

150 yard high draw 6 irons!!!

I'm also gonna work really hard on my mental game and pre shot routine....

all good players say golf is 90 percent mental, 10 percent physical,

all good tour pros visualise a good shot before theitr shot

I'm working out 5 days a week afterschool for now,

and then in spring i will be working out before school instead when i get my drivers license, i really need to alter my eating habits because I will go to the gym for 2 hours, and then come home and eat like crap and it gets me no where.

2 pieces of advice

1. Eat protein (protein bars, shakes) after you workout (but never overdo with heavy lifting cause too much muscle mass will impede your golfswing)

2. Go to Titleist Performance Institute (www.tpi.com which) is now free and find golf specific exercises.

Here in Finland we can practise golf here during the winter really well. In Helsinki ( our capital) there are 3 halls were you can hit golfball and practise shortgame ( one of the halls gots a bunker!) . The longest hall is 110 meters long ( 125 yards) ! So you can really see your ball flight! The another one is 50 meters long. There are also putting greens and chiping areas. So we can really practise here during the winter!

I practise golf 3-4 times in a week and I go to gym 3 times in a week ;)

I usually stick to doing pushups, sit-ups, crunches, and doing rotational stretching with a club. I picked up a putting arc to work on my stroke because thats where I can really rack up a score. 3 putting the last 4 holes of sectionals prevented me from moving on to the state tourny by 4 strokes...so I'm really motivated to get my putting on line.

I'm in the middle of basketball season now and I feel like I'm swinging the club a lot faster now. We lift twice a week but I think it's more the running we do. So I would suggest running. A lot of sprinting mixed in with longer distance stuff along with lifting weights should definitely help. Also try some plyometrics.

-Kyle (1st post after about a 2 month hiatus ;) )

I don't think sprinting would help much in the golf game other than to get endurance up, but if as a teenager you have trouble with endurance you got some problems.

Plyometrics are good but are very hard at a high level. Also they tend to focus on increasing speed, power, acceleration and agility (well from the ones I do for hockey)...so not really golf related but to an extent i guess they are...

Simple stretching such as a cross scorpion enables you to work your golf muscles just fine. Also the stronger your core is the better your golf swing will naturally become so work on building your core strength.

Welcome to Blue Collar Mondays. Every Monday, Troy Anderson of The Blue Collar Golfer, will add his insight to the Better Golf with Fitness Blog. His articles have appeared on GolfFitnessProducts.net as well as magazines all over the Southwest, and he has been a part of all of The Virtual Roundtables. Troy has a different approach than most golf fitness experts, one he is very successful with training golfers in Arizona.

Does Tiger Have It Right?

I was working with one of the aspiring pro golfers that I train the other day and like many young golfers, Tiger Woods is his idol. And rightly so since the man will likely be considered the best golfer of all-time when he is done.

My client was naming off every stat about Tiger, from where he lives to what kind clubs he uses. Then he said something that really got my attention. He said, “Tiger runs 5 miles every morning.” It immediately made me shake my head and think, “Why”?

As I was searching around the internet forums for a topic for this week’s blog, there it was again: “Does anyone know what Tiger’s fitness routine is, besides running 5 miles everyday?”

That sealed the deal; I had to write about it.

Let me start by giving this caveat prior to going any further: I have no knowledge of the reasoning behind why Tiger runs 5 miles everyday, if in fact, he does. He and his coach may well have a good reason for performing such an activity.

I will never ask a golfer to run 5 miles everyday. Heck I won’t ask a golfer to run 5 miles total during a golf conditioning program.

Why not? I mean, if the best golfer in the world does it, why shouldn’t everyone, right?

Well, how about we start with the obvious: does a golfer ever need to jog 5 miles during the course a round of golf?

Nope.

Next, does the activity have any sort of carry over to skill required by the sport?

Well I guess that there may be some carry over to the to walking from hole to hole and maybe even to add some general endurance.

Neither is usually very high on the list of physical skills that most golfers lack or want/need to improve.

So I guess that leaves us with just one option for why running 5 miles is a valuable training aspect: It will adequately prepare the average golfer for chasing down the beer cart from 2 holes away. Yep that’s it, no beer cart shall escape.

Seriously, though all hammering on 5 mile runs aside, the point I am trying to make here is this:

1. Running has very little positive carry over to the enhancement of valuable golf physical attributes.

2. Running 5 miles results in thousands of foot contacts. Long terms result a lot of wear and tear on the body. If you enjoy or even earn your living playing golf, there’s really no reason to perform an activity that might shorten your career.

3. Effective use of time; most golfer have a very finite amount of time to spend on their golf conditioning program. At minimum that’s 35 minutes of golf conditioning time that could be well spent on flexibility, strength, or even some time working on aerobic fitness; using techniques that will have more carry over to increasing on course performance.

So after spending the entire blog committing near golf blasphemy, I am sure that more than a few of you are thinking, “OK Mr. Smart-a** Golf Conditioning Coach, what the hell would you do”? I will tell you but you have to wait until next week when I will be back with video of a training sequence that will have you amazed at the quantity and quality of work that can be done is a very limited amount of time.

Until next week, keep it simple.

Troy M Anderson

bluecollargolfer.com

[email protected]

Troy is a golf conditioning expert, located in Tempe, AZ. To download your FREE copy of his special report "8 MUST-KNOW Tips for Starting a Successful Golf Conditioning Program”, go to www.bluecollargolfer.com

http://fitnessforbettergolf.typepad.com/be...f_with_fitness/

Ok, so I was wrong. All I meant was when I run, my golf swing seems to improve. I also thought this was a good article that more people should read. I took it from the Academy section.

-Kyle

• 1 year later...

I feel that there is some merit to sprints and plyometrics in relation to the swing. Ill try to explain a little from a physiological standpoint:

The body has slow-twitch (red) and fast-twitch (white) muscle fibers. As the names imply, white muscle fibers control powerful and quick movements, while red fibers control endurance activities.

The golf swing is a quick and powerful move from the top down. Therefore, an abundance of fast-twitch muscle fibers would allow for a more powerful move through the ball in theory. However, that doesnt mean you should ignore endurance, because the power you have means nothing if your legs are too tired to support your swing.