2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Now that it's legal, Going to use a rangefinder?

easyyy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using rangefinders for the last 4 years now and personally think they're great. Exspecially when playing an unknown course. I also found that it speeds up play significantly, if used properly. My current unit has slope so I can't use it in tourneys but I use my own yardage book anyways (created using a rangefinder of course).

However you find me a little confused. First of all the use of rangefinders was never forbidden at all unless you're playing a tournament or EDS round of course. As of Jan 1st they're allowed in tournament rounds IF the local comittee says so via a local rule. As of today I have yet to encounter a course which has such a local rule. As I'm living in Germany I wouldn't consider this fact overly impressive, as most clubs over here probably haven't even noticed the opportunity. But I'm curious what the quota is in other countries, how many say yes vs. no?

• 2 months later...

is it worth the extra $$$ to get the bushnell 1500 with slope or should i just get the bushnell 1500 tournament edition?

If you are thinking about tournament play,

there is a reason they call it the tournament edition.

Because it's legal.

(The slope is not legal - as to it's worth, it may help train you to judge slope - so when you don't have it with you during a hc round or tourney, you can take an educated guess)

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

As soon as I can find one that is somewhat affordable, yes.

I am planning on using one.

There are many courses that lack when it comes to keeping their yardages accurate or easily found.

I've seen the new edition of the Nikon 500g model 8351, and with the new scan feature - just keep the button pressed to get different yardages while you scan, I've seen it for abour $260 on the web. Compact and water resistant

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

• 1 month later...

Can I just ask, are there any models from any respectable companies that measure in METRES? Because I'd be interested in using one from practice.

Just out of interest, are these rangefinders only allowed under USGA or are they also legal in R&A rules?

Josh

Yes, the Leica Pinmaster changes from yards to meters

I own that one, so I know it does. It is available on ebay -- or was -- under a "make a bid" bidding -- from an authorized retailer in NYC. My bid was $340 - less than a Pinseeker and the Leica has target first priority and red LCDs - it works well for me.

You might check the websites of the other two -- Nikon and Pinseeker -- I would think they would convert between the two like the Leica.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I have one and it is very helpful.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Can I just ask, are there any models from any respectable companies that measure in METRES? Because I'd be interested in using one from practice.

Just out of interest, are these rangefinders only allowed under USGA or are they also legal in R&A rules?

Josh

The Pinseeker 1500 is switchable between yards and meters

http://www.bushnell.com/customer_service/m...2_Pinseeker.pdf

• 1 month later...

I messed with one and sorta had fun doing so.........I think there great but I don't own one.

To a few of you who think it's "not good for the game".....get a clue. I play plenty of course that the tell you of your distances all over the fairways on sprinkler heads.....front, middle, and back every five yards or so. Then on some course the sprinkler heads are to hard to find with little info.

My point is that there are plenty of course that give tons of info..should this not be allowed also? Is it "bad for the game"? Or maybe you would like to wait longer on the tee because some guys are walking around the whole fairway looking for a sprinkler head while they could have just walked to their ball, shoot the distance and play the shot? Your beef is "weak" to say the least!

My only beef about range finders are this.............80% of your shots still come up SHORT no matter what the yardage says and how ever you got it.....Now if they only made a range finder that would be off by 10 yards so one would take an extra club, then some handicaps might drop. Bottom line, they are a fun toy!

TMBOB

• 2 weeks later...

Range finders help speed up play. Plus they give you the distance to the pin, not the middle of the green.

;)

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

• 4 weeks later...

Got this ruling from the USGA-Director of Regional Affiars-Central Region:

Although permitted if a local rule is adopted, a significant number of golf associations have chosen to NOT permit the use of distance measuring devices. The majority view is that at high level competition, players already have access to sufficient distance information through other means (caddies, yardage books, etc.) and that the devices would be counterproductive in improving pace of play. A few associations that allowed the devices in 2006 have changed their policies and now ban them for just that reason.

The USGA does not allow their use in USGA Championships or qualifying. However, we are officially neutral as to allowing their use by other groups. I would estimate that the use of these devices is allowed in 30% or less of events conducted at the regional or state level. The individual golfer should check with the sponsoring organization in advance in regards to their policy.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Regards.

• 1 month later...
Got this ruling from the USGA-Director of Regional Affiars-Central Region:

Although permitted if a local rule is adopted, a significant number of golf associations have chosen to NOT permit the use of distance measuring devices. The majority view is that at high level competition, players already have access to sufficient distance information through other means (caddies, yardage books, etc.) and that the devices would be counterproductive in improving pace of play. A few associations that allowed the devices in 2006 have changed their policies and now ban them for just that reason.

The USGA does not allow their use in USGA Championships or qualifying. However, we are officially neutral as to allowing their use by other groups. I would estimate that the use of these devices is allowed in 30% or less of events conducted at the regional or state level. The individual golfer should check with the sponsoring organization in advance in regards to their policy.

Thanks for posting that info...As far as the poll goes...I know I'm a luddite (grab a dictionary :D ) but if you ever see me grabbing a yadage by using one...grab my 5812 out of my bag, it's got the highest swingweight, and knock me a good one...my grandfather would have. Technology is awesome but visually estimating yardages based on landmarks, terrain features, etc. even the local yardage book speaks to the spirit of the game. Before anyone piles on know that if the rules allow it I am not against it for you...I just don't embrace it, and yes if you do and you v me you should have an advantage...if you can hit that shot...J

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know a group of golfnuts ( just under 100 members ), that has about 15 statewide tournaments a year plus out of the country golf trip tournaments yearly. 80% of them have a range finder ( mostly Bushnell Pin seeker ); with or without the slope rating.

Now we all know the slope function is not legal in tournament play, but quite a few of them has this function on their range finder.

For me, it really does not matter if I look at a shot 20yards higher and 150 ish to the pin with 8-10 miles head wind vs. OK it's 147 yards EXACTLY, with the slope it plays like 161 yards EAXACTLY with your perfect swing is a 7 iron, the perfect swing which I might have left at the practice range.

Most the golf course have yardage markers and it really does not need to know the exact yardage to the pin. The approximate yardage to the front and the back of the green is more important than the exact yardage to the pin for me. Does it really matters that much for most of the golfers to know the exact yardage to certqain target? This information would not help a pro all the time, not to an average golfer, for certain.

A good golf course will also have a yardage book available. In my opinion, the yardage book will help me more than the range finder or GPS device loaded on the golf cart.

The effort to take out, find target through the view finder and put it back after usage, would probably constitute about the same time as I estimate distance with the eyeballing the elevation and feel for the wind element.

This may not be popular, but I'm an old scholl on this subject.

I personally decided to stay within the rules and not buy the slope..but to each his own. I find it faster to get a measurement to the flag. My routine is the following:

1) check flag for color (blue - back, red - front etc)

2) Laser to pin.

3) If pin is 160 to Blue flag I know i can play less club if need be. Front flag, same philosophy (front flag distance, so ok if i am a little long).

I can't imagine going back to pacing yardages off, this saves me time and frustration of knowing exactly the yardages I need to get to.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

• 1 year later...

I will wait until we get the same ruling over here in the UK then I imagine I will get one

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

With golf being so slow, why NOT use one? 100% of the time I walk to my ball, shoot the pin, make a club selection before the other guys have even finished pacing off the distance and I am alway walking vs them riding in a car. Anything for faster golf has to be good for the game that I love but frustrates me because its so SLOW....

With golf being so slow, why NOT use one? 100% of the time I walk to my ball, shoot the pin, make a club selection before the other guys have even finished pacing off the distance and I am alway walking vs them riding in a car. Anything for faster golf has to be good for the game that I love but frustrates me because its so SLOW....

+1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my take on it. You can talk "old school" all you want, but nobody who plays at a high level plays old school. They all have yardage books... and guess where the numbers in those books came from? The best laser rangefinders money can buy, of course. What do you think that those players' caddies are doing in the days before the tournament starts? They are out walking the course with a rangefinder... measuring every feature that could possible come into play, then noting those numbers in the book. They may only be using the book during competition, but those numbers were established by the liberal application of sophisticated electronics.

Electronic devices are allowed for rounds played for handicap submission, they are allowed for my club tournaments, and I have yet to talk to anyone who belongs to a club where they aren't allowed. My understanding on the requirement for a local rule is that the USGA wanted to legalize them completely and require a LR to disallow them, but the R & A wanted them to be completely illegal, so the compromise was the current local rule. I expect to see more movement on this in future rules revisions.

I've been using a laser for 2 seasons now. First a Nikon 440, which was only just barely satisfactory, then this spring I bought a Bushnell Tour V2 with Pinseeker and that is so far ahead of the Nikon that there isn't even any comparison. I love my V2. Now I've ordered a GolfLogix GPS to supplement the laser and to use when the precise distance isn't required, and I plan to carry both.

• 3 weeks later...

Exellent point on the "Old School" tag. Real "old school" would be to go back to persimon and wound balata balls. "Old school" let out when graphite and titanium showed up allowing us to hit the ball as far or farther now then we did when we were thirty years younger. Why not make information that is available to anyone available to everyone quickly who don't have the time to walk a course or have the means to hire an experienced caddy.