2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX Review- Ping G20 Driver

Equipment test panel review includes pics
Tested-Ping G20
10.5 loft
R flex TFC 169D shaft
Ping ID8 grip

From Ping:

Distance and accuracy are optimized by an external weight that optimizes the center of gravity position to generate high launch and low spin. The G20's large, variable-thickness face generates faster ball speeds and increases MOI for maximum forgiveness

The 460cc clubhead is made fromTi 8-1-1, a lighter, lower-density alloy. Ti 8-1-1's high strength-to-weight ratio allows for additional weight to be strategically placed for increasing the MOI on both the vertical and horizontal axes. Weight savings from varying wall thicknesses in the crown and body are positioned to optimize performance and durability.

Pros: Great looking club head that sits very square at address, muted dark grey color with a confidence inspiring head size that offers a fairly large "foot print", with a high launch and low spin all at reasonable price for a new to the market club.

Cons: Ping still does not offer adjust-ability in their drivers and woods, if you want a highly workable club this may not be the choice for you. I also question whether or not the average golfer needs a 45.75" driver.

Bottom Line: This is a really solid modern driver that will appeal to a wide variety of players, if you want forgiveness, high launch and plenty of distance just find the right shaft and loft and I think you will have a hard time finding a better club.

Tester Review:

Look: When the box arrived I couldn't wait to get to the range to give it a test drive, I can usually tell within two to three swing whether I am going to like a driver or not, and this did not disappoint. I will say I have been a Ping fan for many years and generally like their stuff, however I am quick to dismiss equipment from anyone if it doesn't fit my game.

The first thing I noticed was that it set dead square, the dark grey head color really appealed to me and the crescent moon alignment aid was a nice change from the full moon on many previous Ping drivers. The shaft is a little busy looking, bright red and gray colors with the Ping logo watermarked in the paint scheme, not something that really distracts me...overall a really good looking club that comes with a nice looking headcover to boot. The one thing you notice when looking at the sole is the large weight pad hanging off the back edge of the club, this is not noticeable at address and definitely adds to the high launch you receive from this club.

The head shape is a very classic modern look (if there is such a thing) with a very symmetrical shape that has no weird angles or shapes going on. It does have a much larger footprint than the Ping G10 I used to play, however the face depth is a little deeper than some clubs of this nature, like the Callaway Diablo Octane I have been playing. Overall I have no complaints about the look, it is the kind of club that appeals to me when shopping for a new driver.

(comparison to G10)

Performance/Playability: If you want a club that launches high and flies straight then this might be the ticket, I noticed immediately the ball seemed to jump off the face and really get up in the air. At first I was concerned it was going too high and I was losing distance and getting no roll, but I soon figured out this club offers the proverbial high launch low spin type of shot that most golfer aspire to obtain.

The one thing I had to adjust to was the fact the ball didn't curve much at all. I am used to aiming at the right side of the fairway and drawing the ball back to the middle, I soon found that for my stock drive if I aimed to the right the ball took off right and just stayed there. My first few drives on the course ended up on the right edge of the fairway or a few yards into the rough.

My first round on the course I played at time when the course was mostly empty and I could play several balls a hole, I hit several really long drives (for me) and some that were about average for me, overall I was happy with the distance, BUT the moment I knew I had a winner was on a long par 5 playing into a pretty stiff breeze and I hit a high bomb dead into the wind that hit an up slope that I usually have a hard time hitting when there is no wind, in my mind I 1/2 expected the ball to back up when it hit the ground, however the ball bounded forward about 15 yards. Not a career drive but a really solid one into the wind and a little extra roll with a high launch.

The club is forgiving as expected, shots low on the face still get adequate carry and heel and toe hits still get decent distance and dispersion, quite frankly I haven't played too many 460 cc drivers that aren't forgiving and this one sure doesn't disappoint.

Workability-this is not the most workable club ever, as I said it likes to fly straight and high.....I know Bubba Watson can bend it with this club but I'm not Bubba....:rolleyes: Personally for most players I feel this is a good thing, and if you have the ability to curve it both ways you can certainly do so, you just might have to pay a little extra attention to making sure you get the face opened or closed the appropriate amount. My misses tended to be straight pushes and pulls, but mostly pushes since I tend to aim right and try to draw it back to the middle.

Feel: The initial sound off the clubhead is a little tinny, not a loud clank like some of the square drivers or a few from Cobra that actually hurt my ears but definitely not muted. Solid hits feel...well solid and miss hits feel as expected...you know you mishit it but the distance is still good as with most modern clubs. The shaft has a high balance point which I assume helps compensate for the slightly heavier head on this club, it had a different feel than most drivers I have used recently, it took me a few swings to get used to the feel, but once I got acclimated it gave me the feeling of easy power.

Bottom Line: This club is going in my bag, I am not even considering bringing my old driver to the course, high launch, straight flight....what's not to like, plus it looks really stylish in my black Ping 4-Under sitting alongside my I15's :rolleyes:. In all seriousness the only reason I could think of not to give this club a look is if they just don't have a shaft available that you like, you just have to have a white clubhead or you just have to have an adjustable club. Grab the G20, get fitted and head to the course....in my humble opinion you will NOT be disappointed.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more pics
(Face)
[attachment=887393:face.JPG]
Not the best bag pic, but a nice shot of the headcover
[attachment=887395:bag.jpg]

I will add that went with the R flex shaft after many years of playing stiffer shafts, I have never been a long hitter really, but age is catching up with me and with a sore back, elbow and shoulder has diminished my clubhead speed some. The stock shaft seems like a quality shaft and for an R flex does not feel overly whippy. As a club tester I had to send in specs for the order and didn't go through a fitting process, but I will say I think I guessed pretty good on what I needed as my results were more than satisfactory. I am a solid 6 handicap and strike the ball decently if not long, in short I feel I have a pretty good idea of how a club should perform for most players. For those of you reading the review and are a typical long knocking Wrx'r :rolleyes: just make sure you get the right shaft/loft and I think you will be pleased.

[attachment=887405:DSC02212.JPG]

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Great write-up! :clapping: And very nice to include the comparison pics.

I had very similar thoughts - great driver that performs well. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

so.... Is it worth spending extra $$$$ for g20?

Coming from G15 Owner

In the Bag:

Driver- M2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Mini Driver- X2hot Pro 12.5° Aldila Tour Green 70S
3 Wood- 915 F 15° Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid- XR 19°
Irons- Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-PW
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 50°, 58°
Putter- Oddy#7 White Hot 34"

Awesome review. Been wanting one of these since I hit one on a LM shortly after they hit the stores. Great feeling, sounding, and looking club IMO.

Thanks for the comparison pictures as well, as I have only seen it in person once, great to get a feel of comparison to other clubs I have seen many times. Hope it sticks in your bags and improves your game!

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='Ping_Ho' timestamp='1318953813' post='3688351']
so.... Is it worth spending extra $$ for g20?

Coming from G15 Owner
[/quote]

I have never played the G15, my experience is with the G10......but I would say yes, seems to me if you don't go with the latest and greatest you end up with buyers remorse.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1318954310' post='3688391']
are you playing this at standard PING length of 45.75"? how would you compare the accuracy to your OCTANE or g10? is there a comparison - or is it just STRAIGHT?

great review - this driver sounds like it could be one to try!
[/quote]

Yes standard length in both the Octane and the G20, the Octane is more draw biased, the G20 seems to fly straighter and is easier to fade slightly if needed, the G10 is a little more workable but is lower launching and not quite as long.

The Octane is a long driver, when I hit them both side by side and hit them both solid they go about the same distance, the Ping however seems to be easier for me to hit consistently long, the Octane seems to have a very shallow face, if you catch it a little high on the face you get sort of a pop up, I haven't had that problem yet with the G20. The Octane knocked the G10 out of the bag because it was slightly longer, however the G20 is just as long and on average longer....... IMO.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1318953561' post='3688325']
Good review...... I think I need something with more forgiveness.....
[/quote]

LOL :rolleyes:

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='JLew27' timestamp='1318961615' post='3688955']
Have you hit the K15 at all. Would like to know how it compares. I did not like the TFC shaft in the K15, maybe the new shaft is better...
[/quote]

I have not hit the K15, shafts are certainly personal preference

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Have you hit the K15 at all. Would like to know how it compares. I did not like the TFC shaft in the K15, maybe the new shaft is better...
[/quote]

I've hit the K15...... not a bad driver at all. High launching to me, higher than the G series, sits a little closed which adds loft. I would take the G series over it though, but have not had the G20 pleasure yet. Just held it for the first time today at the store..... it's a big sucker.

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1318966331' post='3689305']
Very nice review and good pics!
[/quote]
Thanks, I did my best to give an honest and unbiased review.........although I was obviously excited to give the G20 a go I didn't want to come across as someone who was just being a Ping fanboy, although I kinda am. :busted2:

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1318966772' post='3689341']
[/quote]

I've hit the K15...... not a bad driver at all. High launching to me, higher than the G series, sits a little closed which adds loft. I would take the G series over it though, but have not had the G20 pleasure yet. Just held it for the first time today at the store..... it's a big sucker.
[/quote]

I hit and bought the K15. I had a better experience with the K. I should say I'm using a Soft R standard shaft. The K shaft is just perfect for me.

I felt the G20 was a heaver club or that is the way it felt to me. I should say that I was using a Reg flex shaft. No soft R was available to hit. I also thought the R flex shaft was a little stiffer than other ping shafts.

But in my past experience you just can't go wrong with Ping drivers. I'm sure I could learn to love the G20 if I did not have the K15.

Great review, looks like the G20 is going to enjoy as much success as the G15.

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

I was recently fitted and got better spin numbers with the K15 (plain reg shaft), but for me the feel was very similar between the K15 and G20. Both very good drivers. I still think the K15 sits a little closed despite being designated as neutral. The shafts feel great to me, and the hang time with a high ball flight really seems to max distance nicely. One of playing partners on the weekend thought I had not quite hit a ball right as it flew so high, he thought it was short, other in the group smoked one - I was 15 metres past him, they couldn't believe it.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
Ping Zing

[quote name='Ping_Ho' timestamp='1318953813' post='3688351']
so.... Is it worth spending extra $$$$ for g20?

Coming from G15 Owner
[/quote]
It is well worth it when you put a Miyazaki Kusala Inigo shaft on as I've hit some monstrous drives in the month of October. Wow wait till next summer, those par 5's dont have a chance Lol. No but seriously I think it is worth the extra $$$$

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1318977650' post='3690197']
Forgot to mention. Love the quote under your avatar. One of my favorite songs!
[/quote]

I saw Billy Currington this year along with Uncle Cracker, Zac Brown and Kenny Chesney, what a great concert!

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

A freind of mine just started using this driver. He had sold is G15 (big mistake)and went through 5 or 6 different drivers before trying the Ping G20. The 910 and TM he had just were not long enough for him and needs every yard he can find.

On the course it "looks" the ball was flying too high until you saw were it finished. More than once the other guys in the foursome would say it was short or too high and only then find he had hung with them or knocked it past them...something he never does.

He's happy and suspect many others will be also. Ping gets drivers right...period.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

i am a big fan of this driver and am beginning to dial it in. Started with 9.5 with Tour stiff shaft Seemed to launch a little lower than I thought it should so i decided to exchange it for a 10.5. The store did not have 10.5 in Tour shaft so I tried the 10.5 in the non tour shaft and compared it to the 9.5 with Tour. shaft. I picked up an average of 11 yds with the non tour shaft. Spin with the Tour shaft was anywhere from 1200 -1600 and although I was getting good distance the spin was too low. With the non tour I increased my launch angle to 14 degrees with spin in the 2200-2600 range. My ss is 105 with a fairly smooth tempo.

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1318993922' post='3691383']
i am a big fan of this driver and am beginning to dial it in. Started with 9.5 with Tour stiff shaft Seemed to launch a little lower than I thought it should so i decided to exchange it for a 10.5. The store did not have 10.5 in Tour shaft so I tried the 10.5 in the non tour shaft and compared it to the 9.5 with Tour. shaft. I picked up an average of 11 yds with the non tour shaft. Spin with the Tour shaft was anywhere from 1200 -1600 and although I was getting good distance the spin was too low. With the non tour I increased my launch angle to 14 degrees with spin in the 2200-2600 range. My ss is 105 with a fairly smooth tempo.
[/quote]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Very cool. The non-tour shaft is a sleeper and feels very good IMHO. I have one too and it's a beast. (Yep, non-tour S)[/size][/color]

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X