Edel Golf Wedges and Putter Pics

[quote name='CTEagle' timestamp='1319039043' post='3692793']
[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1318997616' post='3691577']
What happened was, little did we know, in addition to putters Edel designed these wedges with the help of Mike Adams. Apparently they are wedge geniuses. I mean after all, they worked for 2 high-end clubfitting businesses specifically heading up the wedge customization areas. Did I also mention that they were tutored by Don White and have also ground and built a lot of wedges for Tour players in the past as well? Oh wait....I got that wrong....that was JP....not Edel or Mike Adams. Edel just benefited from JP "building" his wedges for the show. Golf is a game of honor and cheating is frowned upon....too bad businessman don't adhere to the same principles. :nono:
[/quote]

If they contracted him to build the wedges for the PGA show, how is that "stealing"? It would seem they hired him to perform a service, which he carried out. End of transaction. I still don't fully understand what happened, but it sounds to me like you have an axe to grind with Edel Golf. Do you have any proof to back up your so far unsubstantiated accusations? If not, it's pretty reckless of you to let your personal biases tarnish the reputation of a man and company who many hold in high regard. I regret bringing up that photo in the first place.
[/quote]

It only counts as hiring/contract if you compensate someone for their work, but if you work on a collaboration project and then charge them and take their design and hard work, that is why it has been called stealing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very careful about your idiotic and unfounded accusations. You are treading a very fine line. David is held in the highest of regard in the golf industry, and for years has made one of the best line of putters in the world. Unfortunately I must believe JP himself is putting you up to this. It reflects very poorly on JP as both a person and a businessman. Very sad to see. Your actions are disgraceful.

What happened was, little did we know, in addition to putters Edel designed these wedges with the help of Mike Adams. Apparently they are wedge geniuses. I mean after all, they worked for 2 high-end clubfitting businesses specifically heading up the wedge customization areas. Did I also mention that they were tutored by Don White and have also ground and built a lot of wedges for Tour players in the past as well? Oh wait....I got that wrong....that was JP....not Edel or Mike Adams. Edel just benefited from JP "building" his wedges for the show. Golf is a game of honor and cheating is frowned upon....too bad businessman don't adhere to the same principles. :nono:
[/quote]

If they contracted him to build the wedges for the PGA show, how is that "stealing"? It would seem they hired him to perform a service, which he carried out. End of transaction. I still don't fully understand what happened, but it sounds to me like you have an axe to grind with Edel Golf. Do you have any proof to back up your so far unsubstantiated accusations? If not, it's pretty reckless of you to let your personal biases tarnish the reputation of a man and company who many hold in high regard. I regret bringing up that photo in the first place.
[/quote]

[quote name='pointebeach' timestamp='1319043996' post='3693205']
I would be very careful about your idiotic and unfounded accusations. You are treading a very fine line. David is held in the highest of regard in the golf industry, and for years has made one of the best line of putters in the world. Unfortunately I must believe JP himself is putting you up to this. It reflects very poorly on JP as both a person and a businessman. Very sad to see. Your actions are disgraceful.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

How am I treading a very thin line? I didn't create an account 2 days ago just for the 2 topics regarding Edel wedges (hmmm I sense we struck a nerve close to Hill Country). JP was a paid sponsor on this site. He is a respected clubmaker and designer who clearly gave you the ideas for your new wedge whether or not you want to admit it. (which you won't) A man of character admits his wrongs and gives credit where credit is due and doesn't take credit for something he didn't do.

You are accusing someone of being a "cheat" and plagiarizer. Those are pretty bold statements... but obviously easy to make in an anonymous forum. If JP thinks Edel copied his wedges, then have him come on here and say so himself. Otherwise, you have no grounds for comment. When you insult quality people it does hit a nerve. You should be ashamed. Back it up and have JP state in this format Edel copied his designs or keep your mouth shut.

JP wedges no doubt about about it. Even down to the number stamping. Go to JP for the real deal.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Looks like JP wedges photo shopped on Edel website? What is the smudge on the blue wedge?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

If you wish to get fitted for wedges there are certain teaching professionals around the country that can fit you for wedges.

Belen Mozo has a set of em and loves em.

If anyone thinks the Edel wedges are "knockoffs" of JP's wedges...you have another thing coming. Find someone with em and hit them and you will be set straight.

Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

[quote name='pointebeach' timestamp='1319064055' post='3694693']
You are accusing someone of being a "cheat" and plagiarizer. Those are pretty bold statements... but obviously easy to make in an anonymous forum. If JP thinks Edel copied his wedges, then have him come on here and say so himself. Otherwise, you have no grounds for comment. When you insult quality people it does hit a nerve. You should be ashamed. Back it up and have JP state in this format Edel copied his designs or keep your mouth shut.
[/quote]

I have no grounds for comment? I have been a member here for 4 years, you've been one for 4 miinutes. Don't try and tell me I don't have grounds for comment. Can Edel document that he has had these designs from the beginning? No. He can maybe prove that he and Mike Adams came up with a fitting system that, to be honest, was already in place by Scratch. Wheel your "cart" to the putting green, not the wedge green. Golfwrx is smarter than the average consumer. :hi:

its not a cart...

also, anyone know what head that is? I know Edel has made 10 damascus putters, kinda looks like one of them no?

Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S

Edel no longer uses a cart fitting system for putters. Hasn't for over a year. Some people keep their mouths shut to hide their stupidity, then there are those like you who choose to keep talking and remove all doubt.

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1319078002' post='3695643']
[/quote]

I have no grounds for comment? I have been a member here for 4 years, you've been one for 4 miinutes. Don't try and tell me I don't have grounds for comment. Can Edel document that he has had these designs from the beginning? No. He can maybe prove that he and Mike Adams came up with a fitting system that, to be honest, was already in place by Scratch. Wheel your "cart" to the putting green, not the wedge green. Golfwrx is smarter than the average consumer. :hi:
[/quote]

Yes I have only seen black/ greyish looking putters from Edel that are Damascus steel only never aluminum.

I rolled one of those Damascus about a month ago from Mikes collection. Awesome putter. Expensive.

[/quote]

It's what the consumer thinks and I have been checking out JP's stuff for long enough to see his work the second I look at it. Honestly, I can't blame Edel for doing this, JP does make a stunning set of wedges. ...

When did Mr. Adams gather the inspiration for these designs? Looking over someones shoulder perhaps?

Your credibility is squat without dates to back you up and TBH, the tone of your posts has done little to help you.

Actually, everybody is copying Gene Sarazen and not giving him his due credit. He was the one that started adding bounce to wedges. Why everybody want to give some putter makers a free pass on making copies, but want to complain about Edel copying or not copying a wedge? There really isn't that much that is special about all of these wedges, except somebody spent more time putting a beveled edge around a wedge. How is this "design" so special except for the fact that the wedge carries a $275 price tag? Does it look good? Of course James Patrick's wedges look good. So do Adam's black Puglielli wedges, Callaway's wedges, Vokey's, Cleveland, and every other club company. The problem is that some of you guys really get your panties in a bunch over nothing. If it really was something, then a lawsuit would already have been filed.

It would be really nice to see your STATS and FACTS and background regarding how/when/what that you are preaching and wanting>>>> you seem to be good at being a defense attorney without anything to back it up. Interested bystander here,; but have watched and looked at the thread.....

Give me the timeline and we can all make a judgment... you seem to have a very biased opinion, not one to benefit all - I thought this kind of forum was for info to benefit all, Mr. Pointe/bias/Edel? Give us some meat behind your bones....... or are you just going to throw out that someone is in 4th place in a tournament because they are using a certain putter.... have you never felt the magic? Or where do you fit in? I am trying to be educate and learn here, make decisions, but not be preached to by someone that is biased to represent someone. Who do you represent? Get it all out....

We all have all personal opinions, and I think most would agree that we are open to persuasion. But, you have no lee-way in your opinion, which to me shows that you are probably someone that would not be typically welcomed in this forum. Just my opinion. But I would bet that you and your sponsor Edel, or whomever it is, don't get voted in. LOSS!It

Thanks.

[quote name='pointebeach' timestamp='1319251387' post='3703557']
I'm just stating facts. Players and the market will decide the better product. If you knew all the facts you would have a very different opinion.

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1319238991' post='3702877']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1319235431' post='3702667']
[/quote]

It's what the consumer thinks and I have been checking out JP's stuff for long enough to see his work the second I look at it. Honestly, I can't blame Edel for doing this, JP does make a stunning set of wedges. As for Scotty Cameron copying classic putter designs, everyone does it, but at least they put their own twist on it and make it their own.

When did Mr. Adams gather the inspiration for these designs? Looking over someones shoulder perhaps?

Your credibility is squat without dates to back you up and TBH, the tone of your posts has done little to help you.
[/quote]

Well said. :ok:
[/quote]
[/quote]

That is what I have been saying for over a week. If JP really feels Edel infringed in some way he would step up and say so. There are significant differences in the Edel and JP wedges. Anyone that would pay a lot of money based on how a wedge "looks" is an idiot. The same goes for the posters on here that say the wedges are the "same" based on a picture. How it performs is another matter. For years people have been shelling out $400 and up for a driver (a few times a year) and never see any improvement in scoring, yet have trepidation about paying a fraction of that for a club that will lower their scoring. Go figure. An Edel wedge is fitted to each individuals specifications and swing angles, not something you can do with a mass produced club. There will never be a mass market for the club, just as there will never be a mass market for Bentley's. This week players using Edel putters and wedges had a top 10 on the LPGA and a top 15 on the PGA.

[quote name='jimbonecrusher' timestamp='1319332746' post='3706219']
Actually, everybody is copying Gene Sarazen and not giving him his due credit. He was the one that started adding bounce to wedges. Why everybody want to give some putter makers a free pass on making copies, but want to complain about Edel copying or not copying a wedge? There really isn't that much that is special about all of these wedges, except somebody spent more time putting a beveled edge around a wedge. How is this "design" so special except for the fact that the wedge carries a $275 price tag? Does it look good? Of course James Patrick's wedges look good. So do Adam's black Puglielli wedges, Callaway's wedges, Vokey's, Cleveland, and every other club company. The problem is that some of you guys really get your panties in a bunch over nothing. If it really was something, then a lawsuit would already have been filed.
[/quote]

Please let us know what are the "significant differences" you refer to besides the Edel logo? I don't have a horse in the race, but from the looking at the pics everything screams JP's signature design. JP has also been making custom wedges for years and these look to coincidentally similar.

[quote name='pointebeach' timestamp='1319407372' post='3708773']
That is what I have been saying for over a week. If JP really feels Edel infringed in some way he would step up and say so. [b]There are significant differences in the Edel and JP wedges. [/b]Anyone that would pay a lot of money based on how a wedge "looks" is an idiot. The same goes for the posters on here that say the wedges are the "same" based on a picture. How it performs is another matter. For years people have been shelling out $400 and up for a driver (a few times a year) and never see any improvement in scoring, yet have trepidation about paying a fraction of that for a club that will lower their scoring. Go figure. An Edel wedge is fitted to each individuals specifications and swing angles, not something you can do with a mass produced club. There will never be a mass market for the club, just as there will never be a mass market for Bentley's. This week players using Edel putters and wedges had a top 10 on the LPGA and a top 15 on the PGA.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym TD
Titleist TSR3 16.5
Callaway Paradym 18

Srixon ZX w/ GOST
Titleist T100s w/ Modus 125
MG3 TW Wedges

Titleist T22 Newport

So.... still nothing to back up what you are saying except for so and so did this? I am confused, what makes them better and where are the stats and proof? What/how/when/where do you Mr. Pointe know this from? You seem to be an expert, would be very nice to see your qualifications - I will admit that I am a novice (2 handicap) in regard to equipment and wedges in particular, with a great respect for game, but have learned nothing from your posts, except for your continuous saying Edel is not utilizing JP's expertise.... makes me wonder where your inspiration comes from.

Yes, you have been saying it for a week, and a week at that - as long as you have been on this thread and forum, which is intriguing and questionable in itself. As I said, where is YOUR inspiration driven from? What kind of clubs do you have in YOUR bag? Educate me, that is what I came to this forum for..... would like to hear your do's and don't and why's and why not's...

A top 10 and top 15 posting will not get you anywhere with me, some players could do it with a hickory stick on the right week. What's the name on the old gutta-percha's?

That is what I have been saying for over a week. If JP really feels Edel infringed in some way he would step up and say so. There are significant differences in the Edel and JP wedges. Anyone that would pay a lot of money based on how a wedge "looks" is an idiot. The same goes for the posters on here that say the wedges are the "same" based on a picture. How it performs is another matter. For years people have been shelling out $400 and up for a driver (a few times a year) and never see any improvement in scoring, yet have trepidation about paying a fraction of that for a club that will lower their scoring. Go figure. An Edel wedge is fitted to each individuals specifications and swing angles, not something you can do with a mass produced club. There will never be a mass market for the club, just as there will never be a mass market for Bentley's. This week players using Edel putters and wedges had a top 10 on the LPGA and a top 15 on the PGA.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[size="2"]Aesthetics, play-ability and handmade are what goes into a custom club to justify the hefty price tag. Jp has all three of these and then some. He has invested time sourcing heads, learning all the grinds stamping and finishes purely for the thin custom market. Only to have a previous associate serve it up 'a la cart' is [/size]disgusting. As for giving the nods to Gene and Karsten's designs, no one needs to, it is just a given.
BTW Pointebeach, calling people idiots on GoflWRX is not a great thing to do. Take a look around the WITB of many people on here and you will see some fantastic examples of people who love custom gear. Just try not to lift any ideas.

Thank you sir.... you are an inspiration.

I'm not trying to argue a point, just questioning those that argue too slanted in one direction. I know of JP's work & Edel's and am intrigued with both (just ordered some wedges from JP in fact, but am not biased, I don't think - personal decision), but I don't and won't argue a point (or pint for that matter :) just to travel a one way street - I am here to learn and try to learn about tools to better my game.

Agree w/you regarding Gene Sarazen, he gets no credit, and credit he is due. Promise my panties are not in a bunch, just am a curious observer trying to learn and do make a statement here and there. Can guarantee I am not an expert. I appreciate your take and feedback.

When I choose to go a direction with a club - whether it be wedge, putter, irons, whatever..... I go by feel in my hands + fitting and comfort. With the wedges I just ordered, I felt comfortable with the way JP fitted me in regard to loft, lie, and performance characteristics versus aesthetics on the front end, back end is a bonus..... sent a note to others with no response.... I would hope they all look good, but my goal is performance overall. Everyone can have an awesome (good) day with any club.... just has to be right day and happy with everything around you - including clubs.....

Thanks again!

[quote name='Kevin_J' timestamp='1319410191' post='3708915']
Please let us know what are the "significant differences" you refer to besides the Edel logo? I don't have a horse in the race, but from the looking at the pics everything screams JP's signature design. JP has also been making custom wedges for years and these look to coincidentally similar.

That is what I have been saying for over a week. If JP really feels Edel infringed in some way he would step up and say so. [b]There are significant differences in the Edel and JP wedges. [/b]Anyone that would pay a lot of money based on how a wedge "looks" is an idiot. The same goes for the posters on here that say the wedges are the "same" based on a picture. How it performs is another matter. For years people have been shelling out $400 and up for a driver (a few times a year) and never see any improvement in scoring, yet have trepidation about paying a fraction of that for a club that will lower their scoring. Go figure. An Edel wedge is fitted to each individuals specifications and swing angles, not something you can do with a mass produced club. There will never be a mass market for the club, just as there will never be a mass market for Bentley's. This week players using Edel putters and wedges had a top 10 on the LPGA and a top 15 on the PGA.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

1) To my knowledge there is not a single tour player using a JP wedge. There may be one or two that have had him put a grind on a different brand wedge but I am not aware of any tour players that use his clubs on a regular basis. Not sure why as he makes a decent wedge.
2) Edel just came out with a new line of wedges and it is being used on the LPGA, PGA and Nationwide Tours.
3) The players that are using Edel equipment are having high finishes.
4) Within the next several weeks Edel will be announcing a number of top 100 instructors that will be endorsing their wedges.
5) The fact that you think someone in 2011 could play at the highest level of the sport and be competitive with a hickory shaft club and gutta-percha ball probably means you don't think 1-4 means much.
6) I am on here as a result of a few posters making false accusations about Edel Golf. I have nothing negative to say about JP or his wedges. My opinions are mine, and mine alone, and i think Edel makes a superior club.
7) If it really matters, I use Ping Anser forged irons, Edel wedges.
8) My blood type is O negative.
9) Why are all the people making these accusations about Edel from Minnesota? Uff-da...

[quote name='drivethepar4' timestamp='1319410313' post='3708929']
So.... still nothing to back up what you are saying except for so and so did this? I am confused, what makes them better and where are the stats and proof? What/how/when/where do you Mr. Pointe know this from? You seem to be an expert, would be very nice to see your qualifications - I will admit that I am a novice (2 handicap) in regard to equipment and wedges in particular, with a great respect for game, but have learned nothing from your posts, except for your continuous saying Edel is not utilizing JP's expertise.... makes me wonder where your inspiration comes from.

Yes, you have been saying it for a week, and a week at that - as long as you have been on this thread and forum, which is intriguing and questionable in itself. As I said, where is YOUR inspiration driven from? What kind of clubs do you have in YOUR bag? Educate me, that is what I came to this forum for..... would like to hear your do's and don't and why's and why not's...

A top 10 and top 15 posting will not get you anywhere with me, some players could do it with a hickory stick on the right week. What's the name on the old gutta-percha's?

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

This thread was a waste of my life...

I learned that pontebeach is related to Edel and pretty biased and defensive. I also learned that I'm a new fan of whatshannenin.

When someone joins wrx with that kind of attitude and talking to so many people, all creditibility is lost IMO.

JP makes sick wedges, and edel's are very similiar. :pardon::butcher::hunter::jester:

Amen Mr. tbomb.

whatshannenin does have a good spin on things I agree - just said it real fast and think I figured it out. I'm trying to learn my friends and appreciate all input and education.

Thanks again, and once again... Amen to the beach - snow on the way. :)

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1319503554' post='3713465']
This thread was a waste of my life...

I learned that pontebeach is related to Edel and pretty biased and defensive. I also learned that I'm a new fan of whatshannenin.

When someone joins wrx with that kind of attitude and talking to so many people, all creditibility is lost IMO.

JP makes sick wedges, and edel's are very similiar. :pardon::butcher::hunter::jester:
[/quote]