2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Equipment Reviews- Editor/Test Panel Reviews Moved to New Forum

Clubs, accessories and apparel...
In a response from membership feedback we have made some changes to our testing/review process. Please read the sticky in the NEW forum called "Editor Equipment Reviews".

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/292-editor-equipment-reviews/

We will continue to move testing reviews there as they are written. We also look for feed back as always and encourage suggestions to make our process better.

All Editor/Test panel reviews have been moved here... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/292-editor-equipment-reviews/

Thanks,

Richard and the WRX team

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the standardized format a lot, Richard. Not the exact format, per se, but having a standardized structure helps readers I think. No thoughts on the actual format as yet, but I'll post back if anything comes to mind. Also, I'll work on editing my review to fit that, although I think I'm already close, just need an intro. Thanks again for setting all this up and for keeping us members involved.

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"][color="#FF0000"][b]STANDARD FORMAT FOR ALL TESTERS[/b]

[/color][color="#FF0000"][b]Introduction:[/b][/color]
[list][*][color="#FF0000"]Pros (Short: 50 words max)
[/color][*][color="#FF0000"]Cons (Short: 50 words max)
[/color][*][color="#FF0000"]Bottom Line (Short: 50 words max)[/color][/list]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Editor/Tester Review: (Summary 100 Word Minimum)[/b][/color]
[list][*][color="#FF0000"]Look [/color][color="#FF0000"](100 Word Minimum)[/color][*][color="#FF0000"]Performance/playability [/color][color="#FF0000"](100 Word Minimum)[/color][*][color="#FF0000"]Feel [/color][color="#FF0000"](100 Word Minimum)[/color][*][color="#FF0000"]Overall bottom line [/color][color="#FF0000"](100 Word Minimum)[/color][/list][color="#FF0000"][b]
Pics Please!!![/b][/color]
[/size][/color]

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105SΒ 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Thanks. Did you see the sticky in the new Editor reviews forum? http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/517313-equipment-review-process-editorwrx-test-panel-review-process/

Tried to be as forthcoming as we can. As we said it is for a read. What is so good about WRX is the countless peer to peer opinions rather that one golfers review. These are just one testers opinion. Hopefully they are informative and can provide as much objective findings as we can provide.

[quote]
Equipment Review Process- Editor/WRX Test Panel Review Process

GolfWRX is the premier Golf Community online. We will make every effort to provide unbiased opinions and reviews for our readership to form buying decisions best for their game. We emphasize that reading reviews and further discussions online with other golfers can not replace the quality of a proper fitting from a PGA professional. Every golfer's swing is unique and that can best be properly fitted using the latest launch monitors and fitting systems from the equipment manufacturers.

That being said, golf is a game that some of us can't leave at the golf course or the fitting studios. We have such passion for the game and the gear we come to GolfWRX to extend that enjoyment -- 24 hours a day if you choose.

Reviewing equipment is VERY subjective to the tester. Brand loyalty and gifting of products for review may lead to better than deserved ratings; while poor fittings, ratings misinterpretation, poor timing for the swing, and many other factors can lead to more varied impressions. This is far from an exact science. We create test panels, supply products, and request opinions in our standard format (see below). GolfWRX never requests or even suggests a tester give a positive review. We (Marshalls) hand pick our test panels and match them based on ability to certain classes of products. For instance if a tester is a 15 handicap and plays GI or Super GI irons we will have him test similar products.

[b]Who do we test?[/b] We test all companies that warrant a review that our membership would like to see. Large or small, we look to showcase the best equipment companies can offer our members/the golfer. There is no requirement for a review. If you are a company that would like to submit a product for review please send a request to: [email protected]

[b]How do we pick testers?[/b] GolfWRX has over 20 Moderators. We will survey our Moderating Team and ask which members stand out for equipment testing and review. Writing, temperament or tone of posts, and community involvement are some of the factors we take into account. We also have some "Advanced Members" that have been around a while and have posted a lot, often sharing opinions and helping other members. There are no specific requirements, per se -- we work hard to pick the best testers we can so you can get the very best write up. Unfortunately, we only need a limited amount. And we do understand why many would hope be in that group.

[b]Do the testers get to keep the equipment they review?[/b] Yes. It is just not convenient to pack it up and ask the tester to pay for return shipping.

[b]Does that slant the opinion of the review?[/b] Possibly, yes, we believe it may slightly. However we would prefer to have the review than not. If we required them to send everything back it would burden our staff to the point we would slow or stop the testing altogether.

[b]Does the review format encourage a thorough assessment?[/b] Yes we believe it does. We ask the tester to hold off on the review until the honeymoon is over. Or to come back and add longer term updates as the season and their game progresses.

[b]How many units for review are provided?[/b] Can GolfWRX pick and choose from reviews to showcase the best? In the past we did test multiples but going forward we are going to ask for one unit for one tester for the "official" review.

[b]What happens if the review is unfavorable?[/b] Does the company have options? Yes, they can arrange for an appeal. :lol: Seriously, they can request to have their product reviewed again by another tester to see if there is a differing opinion. Both reviews will be posted.

Ultimately you the member have to filter through the reviews and look for truth. GolfWRX is proud to offer the cleanest platform for truth in opinions. The essence of our process is transparent. We believe peer to peer discussion rewards our membership with the best possible information. Many may choose to look past these reviews and follow a few of their favorite member's reviews as I have over the years. Or to favor popularity vote over the test panel reviews.

These are GolfWRX Editor/Tester Reviews and not to be confused with member reviews. We are in the early stages of a new format in the Reviews tab to allow side by side comparison of both Editor and Member ratings. In the meantime, we will be adding all test panel reviews in this forum.

If you are a tester PLEASE ADD PICS TO YOUR REVIEWS and video if you want.

[/quote]

I love the idea of having a standard format for reviews.

Is there going to be a section in the Introduction section where the reviewer/tester can give a little bit of info about their game (i.e. handicap)?

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I like the standardized aspect, but at the same time I hope reviewers are able to condense their own individual styles into this new form.

For example, two of my favorite Callaway irons reviews, one by One_Putt_Blunder, and another by Puppermaster, are both equally impressive, informative, and give both objective, subjective, praise and criticism.

Their overall styles are different though, and the entertainment value of their different personalities is part of the enjoyment in reading their reviews.

The standardized concept has great and practical merit, and has the potential to improve the already great reviews on this forum. I just hope it doesn't become "too" standardized, so that personality becomes dilluted or a bystander.

I'm not sure I actually like this move... where did the feedback come from? Was it a handful of people complaining? Did you do a poll ? If enough people asked you to change it back, would you do it?

I'm just curious about these things but my own first response comes from the fact you already have an 'official' review area.... when it was launched I participated but I soon came to realize the reviews can vary vastly depending on the actual time, and full background you have with golf, and the gear specifically. Some times it simply does not fit a strict outline.

Just my two cents as an initial reaction.

• 3 weeks later...