GolfWRX Review- Ping G20 Driver

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a Ping demo day last Saturday at the local driving range. Got fitted for the G20 and loved the club. Ordered it with the Tour S flex shaft, 1/2" short, swing weight D3, 9.5 degrees.

Can't wait to get it next week!

Thanks for the great review!

Joe

On a side note, sold my R11 and felt like throwing a party when the buyer took it!!!!!

Ping G425 9 deg set to 8 deg Tensei Orange Reg
Ping G425 5 Wood Alta Reg
Ping G425 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids Alta Reg
Mizuno 921 Forged Recoil ESX 460 F3 6-AW
Cleveland CBX ZipCore. 54 & 58 
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 34"
Titleist ProV1
2020 Ping Pioneer Black

[quote name='pingman1011' timestamp='1319120420' post='3696801']
Went to a Ping demo day last Saturday at the local driving range. Got fitted for the G20 and loved the club. Ordered it with the Tour S flex shaft, 1/2" short, swing weight D3, 9.5 degrees.

Joe

On a side note, sold my R11 and felt like throwing a party when the buyer took it!!!!!

[/quote]

I ordered a similar driver, G20 Tour Stiff, 44.5", D3 swing weight, Tour S shaft. Digitally lofted at 10 degrees. I've been to the range twice and will get a chance to take it out on the course Sat. Cannot wait.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

[quote name='ahoop24' timestamp='1319122044' post='3696921']

Joe

[/quote]

I ordered a similar driver, G20 Tour Stiff, 44.5", D3 swing weight, Tour S shaft. Digitally lofted at 10 degrees. I've been to the range twice and will get a chance to take it out on the course Sat. Cannot wait.
[/quote]

By going with a shorter shaft do you feel you have better dispersion, make more consistent contact or both? When shortening the shaft by over 1" how do you deal with the lighter swingwieght of the club? Do you add head weight, or does the shaft have a lower balance point which helps compensate?

Also what is the difference in clubhead speed by going with the shorter shaft?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Dyl,

I broke the shaft on my driver on the 4th hole, the 1st day of a 2-day tourney. I called a local store (75 miles away) and they had a G20 with a Tour S. I was apprehensive but bought it over the phone and my wife was gracious enough to go and fetch it. I immediately cut it down to 44.5", re-gripped, and added almost 6-inches of lead tape to get the feel close to right. I hit it on the range and it was really different (I'm used to an open clubface) but once I adjusted to the presentation, it was downright accurate and plenty long. The next day at the tournament, I used it on 9 holes and was 8/9 on fairways hit. The miss was I went through the fairway on a dogleft left. FWIW, I think the G20 is maybe the most accurate driver I've ever played (definitely in the top 3). It's length is respectable and I think I can get more with a shaft change (thinking Harrison Saga or Mugen Blue)and the face is plenty forgiving. I've tried the G-15 and to me, the G20 is a bit more spinny but every bit as good.

To answer your question(s): I'm 5'10" and a shorter shaft fits me better. I learned about 6 years ago that I hit it in the center of the clubface more often at this length and that makes the dispersion better. On the swingweight, I added the tape but on a re-shaft, I'll add a little melt and a tip weight to try and get it to D4 or more. You can add a lighter grip (Iomic orWinn for example) but I play Gripmaster and have to live with the weight. As far as clubhead speed, I am still North of 110 (barely) and I don't find a speed loss although physics says there is one.

Great review BTW and I thank you for your time to do so.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1319381550' post='3707585']
[quote name='ahoop24' timestamp='1319122044' post='3696921']

Joe

[/quote]

[/quote]

By going with a shorter shaft do you feel you have better dispersion, make more consistent contact or both? When shortening the shaft by over 1" how do you deal with the lighter swingwieght of the club? Do you add head weight, or does the shaft have a lower balance point which helps compensate?

Also what is the difference in clubhead speed by going with the shorter shaft?
[/quote]

The shorter shaft definitely helps with accuracy. I may lose a little distance due compared to a 45.75" shaft but feel that on average I am longer at 44.5" due to better contact. I was fitted into a driver at 44.5" and it made a huge difference in my game (also, I'm only 5'9" tall). In past I've used lead tape to keep the SW correct after shortening, but ordered the G20 from Ping at 44.5" and D3 swingweight.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I agree...I like the shorter shaft for accuracy reasons. The longer shaft feels like I'm swinging a telephone pole and I just can't get used to it. I really don't feel that there is any lost of distance, but I much prefer being in the fairway 4 yards futher back than in the trees.

The Ping fitter that I met at the demo day told me he also plays his driver 1/2 inch short. I ordered it that way from the factory and they will hold the swing weight at D3. He told me that if I took a standard length and cut it down it would knock the swing weight down to about D0 to D1.

Waiting for the call to come and pick up my new driver. Any day now!

Ping G425 9 deg set to 8 deg Tensei Orange Reg
Ping G425 5 Wood Alta Reg
Ping G425 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids Alta Reg
Mizuno 921 Forged Recoil ESX 460 F3 6-AW
Cleveland CBX ZipCore. 54 & 58 
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 34"
Titleist ProV1
2020 Ping Pioneer Black

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1318959626' post='3688789']
[quote name='Ping_Ho' timestamp='1318953813' post='3688351']
so.... Is it worth spending extra $ for g20?

Coming from G15 Owner
[/quote]

I have never played the G15, my experience is with the G10......but I would say yes, seems to me if you don't go with the latest and greatest you end up with buyers remorse.
[/quote]

Great review and thanks for posting.
I think the "marketeers" are always trying to sell us on a latest and greatest concept of life. "Gotta get a _____!"

Let me say that the G15 is STILL a hell of a driver. High launch, low spin -right on the money for many folks. I love the sound of the G15 and it goes straight all day. But, ya know what? So does the K15 - only it does so with an internal weight pad (that helps slicers and non-slivers alike) and a little more spin off the face. The shaft in the G15 and K15 are exactly the same. So, right there the difference in the G15 and K15 is lower spin, a little more spin for the head.
No weight pad and Internal weight pad (draw inducing).
Get to the G20 and there is the new alloy that PING is using 8-1-1 titanium - which to me feels a little harder and testing shows is a little "hotter" than the G15 - but not as hot as the K15.

The trajectory is a little higher with the G20 and of course the shaft has a higher balance point which allows them to go to a 205 gram head from about a 198-199 gram head in the G15 and K15. Yeah, not much weight difference , but you feel a little more swingweight and perhaps more "sledgehammer" effect with the G20.

So the differences are a little subtle (in addition to paint and graphics) but very noticeable and the best way to "dial it in" is to try them.

Right now I'm liking a G20 9.5 with XCon 5 S at 45" length.

[quote name='Topspin2' timestamp='1319674021' post='3723293']
The trajectory is a little higher with the G20 and of course the shaft has a higher balance point which allows them to go to a [b]205 gram head from about a 198-199 gram head in the G15 and K15[/b]. Yeah, not much weight difference , but you feel a little more swingweight and perhaps more "sledgehammer" effect with the G20.
[/quote]

According to the Ping website, the G20 head weight is 204gm versus 202gm for the G15 and K15.

[quote name='Boone' timestamp='1319923874' post='3736183']
I would love to order a g20 at 44.5, but I hear it's hard to get a D3 SW because of the counter balanced shaft. Is this true?
[/quote]

It's hard to get D3 with the stock shaft because it's so lightweight. if you ask for a heavier shaft than the stock, it will help get swingweight up. I had a tip weight put in my club at 44.5" to get the swingweight up.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1319399078' post='3708279']
I've tried the G-15 and to me, the G20 is a bit more spinny but every bit as good.
[/quote]&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>&nbsp;Actually it's engineered to be a low spin beastie. You experience more spin than the G15 because you cut 1.25" off the butt and 6" of lead tape isn't anywhere near enough to offset the 7.5 swing weight points you took off it by butt trimming it. You will get slappy in your swing and impart spin when your club weighs C8-C9</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;But you mentioned you will be re-shafting it so keep that in mind when you do.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;Glad you love it!!

</div>

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Boone' timestamp='1319923874' post='3736183']
I would love to order a g20 at 44.5, but I hear it's hard to get a D3 SW because of the counter balanced shaft. Is this true?
[/quote]

I ordered one custom at 45 inches with the Tour shaft and they were able to get it to D3 - realize another 1/2 inch can make a real difference - but worth a try - the one thing is that they will not 'guarantee' they will hit your requested SW, but will do their best to get as close as possible - and many retailers will not accept a return on a custom order if everything else is fine aside from the SW.

• 3 months later...

hit the i15 and the G20 for the first time tonight. Just like it says on Ping's site (http://www.ping.com/clubs/drivers.aspx), the g20 is more forgiving and felt really solid on the off center shots. The launch monitor was not working at the shop, but going to go back in soon to compare i20, g20, and i15.

I hit the Razr fit and Nike VRS this week as well - Razr fit is an awesome club, but jury's not completely in on which club to go with. I tend to put a ton of spin on the ball (3000-3500), and looking to get that down to around 2500. May have to do it with a different shaft

• 1 year later...

[quote name='rkangrah' timestamp='1319106837' post='3696359']
This G20 looks like my Mizuno MX700. And perform the same: high launch low spin bomb.

Anyone had experience with both Ping G20 and Mizuno MX700???
[/quote]

I still have Mizuno MX700 10.5 Exxar Stiff shaft, great driver, high, long and very forgiving, but left all day long. I played almost a year aiming right and finding the middle of the fairway.
I bought a G20 9.5 with Fubuki tour Stiff shaft, awesome combo for me. The difference of G20 is that now I aim in the middle and the ball goes in the middle. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

My gamer driver has been a Ping i15 9.5* with a Axivcore Tour Red regular flex. I was hitting strong draws before this club and heard that this club would help fight it. It has been a great club for me. My swingspeed is 105-110 and the shaft doesn't seem stiff enough at first glance, but it has been awesome for me for about two years. I can nearly swing as hard as I can and hit a little baby draw at most. Great solid feel. Nice thwack sound. Only problem is that sometimes my drives balloon and I hit a high cut and miss the fairway. I tried the Anser with the RIP Phenom and Fujikara Blur stiff but hit it too low. I love to hit a high draw that rolls out in the fairway. Just feels more comfortable.

So I found a G20 9.5* with a Graphite Design Tour A DI-6S for a GREAT price on eBay ($180). I need a shaft that launches high. So I went to play Echelon in Georgia today, but figures we had a ton of fog in the morning and I couldn't see where my drives where going on the range. But as I hit about 10 drives and throughout the course of the day I got more used to this club.

1. I didn't see any increased distance compared to my i15. It was probably 5-10 yards shorter.
2. The sound this driver makes is earpiercing. Just way too loud. Annoyingly loud compared to the nice muffled thwack of the i15. Feel weird hitting it at a full range.
3. This club is very consistent. Same ballflight, same distance, missed the fairway very few times. Mishits are controlled far better than the i15.
4. You can't hit this driver 75% with the shaft I am using. You have to really go at it.
5. The clubhead seems extremely hollow compared to my i15. Cheapish feeling. No muscle to it. I just felt I was never really hitting it solid becuase of how hollow the feeling was. Might put some lead tape on it. Maybe hotmelting could get rid of the harsh sound.
6. Worst headcover I have seen. Why not a longneck? Why keep part of the shaft exposed. I'm going to just throw a G25 on it.

I think this thing will become my gamer. More consistency. I couldn't manage to get it to 300 yards. With my i15 I get 2-3 per round along with some shorter ones. But I'll take the consistency.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna