2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Moving to Denver.......

BlueChao

Hi,

I will be moving from Minneapolis to Denver in a few weeks. I previously lived in Denver, but did not golf when I did. I only moved from Denver due to a series of bad decisions and unplanned events. :-)rolleyes.gif

I'm looking or some information and suggestions.

What is the season like? As I remember rarely was the winter so cold and so prolonged that you would not even want to be outdoors or buried in feet of snow (aka Minneapolis). Are you able to get out play and/or hit balls on those warmer, sunny winter days?

What about Men's Clubs? I will have no playing partners (right now about 20 HCap) and I'm looking for Men's Club as an opportunity to find some folks to golf with and also get out regularly.

Instructors can anyone recommend someone they have worked with?

Thanks in advance....

BC

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, congrats on the move. I moved from Orange county, CA to Denver and back to Orange County in the past year so I can be of some help. First I loved Denver, but it's definitley not Socal and year round golf is out of the question, but the skiing/snowboarding in Colorado was unbelievable. That alone makes Denver worth it. I've never been to Minnesota but I would assume winters there are worse.

As far as the season it started snowing in the mountains already there. Last year was a "mild" winter according to all the locals so we had it easy. Even then, I basically wasn't able to get out on a course at all from Dec --> March/April. It doesn't snow every day but the snow doesn't go away in the winter. it takes about a week to melt and before it goes away completely, a new batch of snow will come in. The grass is dormant so it will look yellow everywhere. It was only below 0 a few days (I think total of like 5), but hitting golf balls at the range with thin gloves in 30* weather is not fun either. I think most courses close from Dec --> March anyway to save money on staff and such.

On the plus side, you're going to get another 10-15 yds on every iron and 15-20 on the driver.

Hey Blue Chao, by the way, love the name, is it from Riley's books?

Both my kids live in Colorado now, one in HIghlands Ranch and the other in Greely, so we are over there quite a bit and I'm always looking for someplace to play and would love to have someone to join up with. When spring comes around and we're heading over that way I'll pm you and see if maybe we can hook up.

You will love Colorado golf. Great courses everywhere and reaonable greens fees. The weather allows us to play pretty much year round. If there is snow in Denver, you head down to the Pueblo-Canon City area. Check out Trent Wearner Golf for quality instruction.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

Welcome back Blue!

I moved to Denver (actually Parker) 5 years ago and just really got back into golf in the last couple of seasons. This is going to be my first season playing fall / winter golf but if I recall correctly last year was pretty mild in the Denver Metro area. That being said the mountains had tons of snow if you're into snowboard/skiing/snowshoeing etc.

Like Kjo said if the weather is uncooperative in the Denver area, you can head an hour south to the Springs and pretty much play year round. I have friends who live in that direction and they play pretty much every weekend during the winter.

FYI: I played this weekend, it was 40 when I teed off. I wore pant, golf shirt and sweater and was very comfortable. By the turn the sweater was off. If you recall it much warmer than the temp indicates when you in the sun.

When you get here PM me and we'll hook up.

Aloha,
Bert

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I've lived in Denver for 20 years now and I will say that most people think Denver is colder in the winter than it actually is. Several of my friends played golf on Christmas day last year (courses were closed so it was free) but it was 60-70 degress that day. In my opinion the worst time for golf in Denver is January through early March because it is the coldest time of year and when we typically get the most snow. I think you will find that you can play 5-10 times during the winter and a 60 degree day in the middle of the winter is not unheard of. Best part about Denver is it will dump snow one day and be beautifully sunny the next. We don't have entire months of grey and snow like the midwest.

I don't play in a mens club but I know that most mens clubs hang it up after October here. However, you will find more than enough golf courses to choose from.

May I ask what part you are moving to?

Check out the Colorado Golf Academy at Green Valley Ranch. They have indoor facilities that open onto the range during the winter (heated) and they run some great deals in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one has addressed your question regarding men's clubs, I'll chime in.

I play in the Saddle Rock-Murphy Creek Men's Club ([url="http://www.sr-mc.com/"]http://www.sr-mc.com/[/url]) and really enjoy it. (It also helps that I really like the courses - prairie links courses really fit my game.) The club typically has between 170 and 250 members. My index hovers between 4 and 7 and I bounce back and forth between the first and second flights. I have a good friend who's about a 20 and he plays in the 5th or 6th flights (there are typically 8 flights in the club championship). I've played in several men's clubs and the SR-MC is, by far, the best run. Entry fee is around $250 a year and you pay normal greens fees for each tourney (there is also a $10 cash skin game each tourney). All that said, SR and MC are in the east/southeast side of the city (right along E-470), so if you live somewhere on the other side of the city it's a long haul to get here.

On the inexpensive, private side (that is also on the opposite end of the city), I have a good friend who belongs to the Omni course in Westminster. I love that course - lots of terrain variation, excellent conditions and rarely crowded. Annual dues are roughly $4,000 with no initiation. It's semi-private, but the fees the general public plays are high enough to keep public play pretty low. There are a ton of tournaments and groups of players among the membership. I typically play in the member-guest and it's one of the most fun member-guests that I've ever played in.

There are many, many other good public and private courses, but I am not intimately familiar with the men's clubs/playing groups at any of them.

I grew up in the mountains just west of Denver, so I'll admit my bias, but I've lived all over the country and find that the recreational and professional opportunities in Denver are pretty tough to beat: fantastic, generally uncrowded and inexpensive golf and skiing (just avoid I-70 on Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings); wonderful hunting, fishing, camping and hiking; and a vibrant economy that has avoided any major damage during the latest recession.

Please send me a PM if you have any specific questions or if you'd like to meet up for a round when you roll into town.

That's good info regarding the men's club. I'm a non-resident member at Heritage Eagle Bend but can't participate in any of their leagues/tourneys (something to do with not being a resident). I want to play some competitive type events just to see where I can... plus I think they would be fun.

How often does the SR-MC Men's club hold events?

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1319810171' post='3730979']
That's good info regarding the men's club. I'm a non-resident member at Heritage Eagle Bend but can't participate in any of their leagues/tourneys (something to do with not being a resident). I want to play some competitive type events just to see where I can... plus I think they would be fun.

How often does the SR-MC Men's club hold events?
[/quote]

I was looking at the non-resident membership at HEB ($3,000 a year, IIRC) because generally like that course, but the lack of tournaments and the riding-only policy are deal-breakers for me. I chatted with the head pro (who I think recently left) and he said that they were considering creating some events for the non-resident members, but it didn't sound like anything was imminent.

The SR-MC men's club plays every other weekend. The tournaments alternate between MC and SR and alternate between Saturday's and Sundays. There were 14 events in 2011 - the first on April 14 and the last on October 1. Formats vary, but there are always 7-8 individual stroke play events and on match play event that runs for much of the year. The complete line up is on the web site.

Yeah it's a shame about Eric (head pro), I really liked him and thought he ran the club well. I'll have to hit them up about the non-resident tourneys.

I'll take a look at the SR-MC men's club, sounds like fun.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

[quote name='whitemb' timestamp='1319817484' post='3731521']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1319817109' post='3731493']
[quote name='whitemb' timestamp='1319816642' post='3731459']
^ Is that #15 at Glenmoor?
[/quote]

13 (and yes I had ASICs on :) )
[/quote]

I wasn't going to say anything ...
[/quote]

Sometimes when I dash out for a quick round and I'm carrying, I'll just keep my running shoes on. I honestly don't play any better or worse.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1319817598' post='3731533']
[quote name='whitemb' timestamp='1319817484' post='3731521']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1319817109' post='3731493']
[quote name='whitemb' timestamp='1319816642' post='3731459']
^ Is that #15 at Glenmoor?
[/quote]

13 (and yes I had ASICs on :) )
[/quote]

I wasn't going to say anything ...
[/quote]

Sometimes when I dash out for a quick round and I'm carrying, I'll just keep my running shoes on. I honestly don't play any better or worse.
[/quote]

I'm certainly guilty of the same "crime", especially when I'm taking the kiddies out to play!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1319816182' post='3731425']
[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1318521179' post='3667659']
....First I loved Denver, but it's definitley not Socal and year round golf is out of the question, but the skiing/snowboarding in Colorado was unbelievable.
[/quote]

Not true . I live in Denver and we played golf all year long last year. And most years. Even in January! There were 2 events last year involving enough snow that we had to take about a week off, but other than that all golf courses are open YEAR ROUND. It is very comfortable to play in 45* weather because the sun is shining down and the snow melts within a day or 2 unless we get a biggy.

Matter of fact, I shot my lowest rounds in march of last year. And grass is still green in December. - It starts to get yellow around Christmas.

This photo is from January of last year. It was about 47* and the only real issue was the goose poop everywhere. NOTE that the rough still has a lime green hue to it.
[/quote]

That crazy. I was living in the DTC area when I was there. I remember it snowing every few days from Feb - Apri. I called courses local to me few times when I noticed the snow on the side of the road melting a bit and they always said they were closed because snow was on the course (South Suburban and The Links @ Highland Ranch come to mind). I went as far to contact courses down in Castle Pines. Actually now that I think of it, I did play Red Hawk Ridge one weekend in Feb but it was like 35* with 20 mph winds. Just was a miserable time, but yes it was playable. However, I will say that I wasn't looking to play golf every weekend. From Jan - March I was completely obsessed with snowboarding in the Rockies so I wasn't constantly calling courses to see if they were open...just the few times I did, they happened to be closed.

I really miss Denver though. Great city. Loved taking the light rail to Lodo for dinner and drinks with the wife. We also really liked the Sushi Den and Fruition and frequented them. Arrowhead was a really cool golf course and all the courses in Castle Pines were great. I just wish I had more family living there. My folks, brother, in-laws, and relatives all live in SoCal so it was just an inconvenience flying back and forth. However, my goal is to pick up a condo or townhouse out in Denver (or maybe up in the mountains) one day so I can spend half the year there and the other half in CA.

I will say this though. I played last week in 75* weather with a shirt and pants on. That can't be beat!

Having lived in both Denver and SLC, I'll take SLC any day over Denver. Better and closer skiing, lots of very affordable public courses where $50.00 greens fees are almost unheard of and they pretty much can golf year round in the Salt Lake valley with So Ut about 3-4 hrs south. Hey, but thats just me.

if you are living in the north part of denver and want lessons you should go to a guy named william kipp. He has taught at some big name schools and now he is trying it on his own. Your short game will improve greatly as will your long game. i have went to him for a while and he really helps. I have dropped from about a 8 to a 2. He is an incredible guy. he even does online lessons now. I highly recommend him.

If you don't like the weather on a certain day, wait a day and it will be completely different. Yeah, some rounds can get a little cold and windy, but those are for building character! I had to move to CA and the days that are like 55 with extremely scattered showers cause everyone to act like the world is coming to an end, but they're like a nice stroll in the park for me. Being from Boulder, I agree with the person who mentioned the Omni. 27 holes, uncrowded and you can turn it into a good deal if you dig a little bit. I'll add The Heritage as a place to check out. Lot's of leagues and tournaments going on there, and a good place course for the $.

78blades, be honest, you're just saying that because it's more acceptable to have multiple wives there right? :)

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1321654408' post='3819939']
78blades, be honest, you're just saying that because it's more acceptable to have multiple wives there right? :)
[/quote]

HA!

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on where you end up I'm always game to drive a little bit to play! I'm just a few minutes north of Denver, but within 15 minutes of about 7 good courses. Colorado National, Saddleback, Heritage Todd Creek, Thorncreek, Indian Peaks, Riverdale Dunes (my absolute fave)... just to name a few.

PM me when you settle down!