Ernie Els standard length clubs?

Does anyone know if he uses Standard length? I have seen him play a few times and they look standard to me.

Comments

• acquadiiceacquadiice Members Posts: 2,282
    um no

i think he prob plays an inch over standard...
  • Rob631Rob631 Members Posts: 97
    edited Oct 28, 2011 #3
    acquadiice wrote:

um no

i think he prob plays an inch over standard...

Wow even his long irons look so small LOL. He is a big guy so its probably why it looks that way.

Ahh.. Edited because I found this:

Spec: Callaway Tour Authentic™ X-Prototype™ Irons; KB shafts, X-Stiff, half-inch longer than standard, lie angle 1-degree upright; lofts, 1-degree stronger than standard; swing weight, D3.
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,947 ✭✭
    He plays irons half-an-inch over standard from what I remember. His driver's quite long, though. 45 1/2", if memory serves.

• swingdoc80swingdoc80 Members Posts: 598
    There are a few funny measurements about. Stuart Cink uses standard length apart from his PW which is 1/4 inch longer. And didnt Woosnam use longer than standard Mat ?
  • Rob631Rob631 Members Posts: 97
    swingdoc80 wrote:

There are a few funny measurements about. Stuart Cink uses standard length apart from his PW which is 1/4 inch longer. And didnt Woosnam use longer than standard Mat ?

What's weird, is Els played 1/4" longer back in his titleist days. I guess he stands a little taller at address now?

I think I heard that too about Woosnam.
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,947 ✭✭
    I think Woosnam used standard length irons, to be honest, back in the 37 1/2" 5-iron days. Three degrees flat, though, if I remember rightly. And S400s, interestingly, given his length.

Scott Hoch's clubs were always quite surprising to me. Similar height to me, at about 5' 11 1/2", but 4 degrees upright, I think. And 8.0 shafts, too, making his iron shafts among the stiffest out there at the time. I think Baddeley's playing a similar set-up now, something like 4 degrees upright, even at about 5'11" or so.

Someone I know used to play a bit with a young Colin Montgomerie and some of his shafts were alarmingly soft. 4-point-something on the old Brunswick scale, I think. And that old Wilson lob wedge of his apparently had a very soft regular shaft in it.

As you say, there are some surprising choices and fittings out there. They all work, though.

• HCEG1HCEG1 Members Posts: 2,124
    edited Oct 28, 2011 #8
    mat562 wrote:

I think Woosnam used standard length irons, to be honest, back in the 37 1/2" 5-iron days. Three degrees flat, though, if I remember rightly. And S400s, interestingly, given his length.

Scott Hoch's clubs were always quite surprising to me. Similar height to me, at about 5' 11 1/2", but 4 degrees upright, I think. And 8.0 shafts, too, making his iron shafts among the stiffest out there at the time. I think Baddeley's playing a similar set-up now, something like 4 degrees upright, even at about 5'11" or so.

Someone I know used to play a bit with a young Colin Montgomerie and some of his shafts were alarmingly soft. 4-point-something on the old Brunswick scale, I think. And that old Wilson lob wedge of his apparently had a very soft regular shaft in it.

As you say, there are some surprising choices and fittings out there. They all work, though.

Raphael Jacquelin's irons are 3 degrees flat & he's a 6 footer (depending on which shoes he's wearing) They are obviously perfect for him, as there aren't many better iron players out there than him

Cabrera, also a good 6 footer, has his Pings 1 degree flat

A lot of it is finger tip to floor measurement, and, obviously, the plane/wrist angle each particular player has at impact

I'm pretty tall but find that standard length & lie is just about spot on, as I have long arms. Having said that. I have a bag full of demo 6 irons varying from 2 degrees flat to 4 degrees upright, standard length & 1/2 over. I sometimes take several of them out to the practice ground & if I'm swinging well, they all work!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE! Members Posts: 11,165 ✭✭
    as per his website:

Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons

Following the success and critical acclaim of Callaway's X-Prototype Forged irons comes this new model, the RAZR X Forged irons. This is an uncompromised forged iron for elite golfers. What sets it apart is the unique ‘Triple Net' forging process. This three-step forging yields superior feel and enables high-performance Tour CC grooves to be precision forged into each clubface.

Spec: Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons; KBS Tour FST shafts, X-Stiff, half-inch longer than standard, lie angle 1-degree upright; lofts, 1-degree stronger than standard; swing weight, D3.

• Jim ClarkJim Clark Banned Posts: 2,264
    The length of the clubs you need really depends on your wrist to floor measurement. I'm going to cut down my driver and 3-wood, they are currently too long for me.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,464 ✭✭
    HCEG1 wrote:

mat562 wrote:

Raphael Jacquelin's irons are 3 degrees flat & he's a 6 footer (depending on which shoes he's wearing) They are obviously perfect for him, as there aren't many better iron players out there than him

Cabrera, also a good 6 footer, has his Pings 1 degree flat

A lot of it is finger tip to floor measurement, and, obviously, the plane/wrist angle each particular player has at impact

I'm pretty tall but find that standard length & lie is just about spot on, as I have long arms. Having said that. I have a bag full of demo 6 irons varying from 2 degrees flat to 4 degrees upright, standard length & 1/2 over. I sometimes take several of them out to the practice ground & if I'm swinging well, they all work!

Jacquelin has that unique swing trigger when he makes the club upright before swinging away. I'm sure you know what I actually mean image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
  • Drexel64Drexel64 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    edited Nov 1, 2011 #12
    Els use to use clubs 1 inch over but went to 1/2 over to gain control/comfort at address.

I believe he used 38.75 5 iron (when 37.75 was std) now uses 38.5

Makes sense at 6,3 or 6,4

John
  • cinnepacinnepa Members Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    edited Nov 2, 2011 #13
    yup, 6'-3" here and i'm only 1/4" over standard length....1 degree upright. as someone mentioned above - it all depends if you have ape-length arms or not. i do and probably could have gotten away with standard if i had to - my pings called for blue dot, 1/4" long.
    Titleist 910 D3 9.5*, TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3HL
    Ping I3+ Blades 5-LW
    Callaway Raxr X Tour- 3 & 4 hybrid
    TM Spider Tour DJ
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,230 ✭✭
    I was fortunate enough to be around Ernie for a day and we spoke about club length as I am 6' 4" and he is a bit taller then I. He has extremely long arms for his height. No joke when we stood next to each other his arms were several inches longer then mine. He said this is why he can pretty much play standard length clubs.

And without having to say it, he swings so smooth it's insane! TV does him no justice. Seeing him swing in person is jaw dropping.
  • HCEG1HCEG1 Members Posts: 2,124
    edited Nov 3, 2011 #15
    rybo wrote:

I was fortunate enough to be around Ernie for a day and we spoke about club length as I am 6' 4" and he is a bit taller then I. He has extremely long arms for his height. No joke when we stood next to each other his arms were several inches longer then mine. He said this is why he can pretty much play standard length clubs.

And without having to say it, he swings so smooth it's insane! TV does him no justice. Seeing him swing in person is jaw dropping.

Ernie's tall, but not a millimetre taller than 6' 3". I've been right next to him countless times

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=5576/index.html