2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1320009628' post='3739247']
everybody has done this: when you see blades you think the person must be pretty decent.
[/quote]
As someone who has grown up playing lots of junior golf, I think the opposite. Very rarely do you see a junior golfer playing blades that ought to be playing them. They're usually just for effect.
Just my .02

I usually just look at a bag because I like clubs haha. I've seen every situation possible...for instance guy at my club plays r11 tp (upgraded shaft) r9 fairway wood adams idea pro black hybrid depending on how he is feeling that day r11,ap2, or titleist zmb's irons vokey wedges and whatever scotty he happens to pick up that day and a good day is breaking 90...and on the other had saw a guy come out and the newest club in his bag was a ping g2 driver and he shot 62 haha

[quote name='shankz' timestamp='1320016866' post='3739681']
How they are is more important than what they play. I prefer pleasant golfers who can't hit their blades compared to the angry/rude ones who can. Proper golf ettiquette>handicap

[/quote]
Ahmen brother! I can do without the (audible) f bombs on the golf course.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Next week I'll be playing my new (to me) ISI Nickels and some old Warbirds I have laying around. I can hear the young guys now: "Great, some old guy with crap clubs. Probably won't break 90." :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

1) either that i'm a poser or 2) that i'm pretty new to golf and got carried away with getting brand name stuff that i saw in golf magazines

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70X
TEE E8 Tour 15* Diamana S+ 70X
Titleist 909 19* ProForce V2 90X
Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-P
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron X5

I'm too busy worrying about not hitting a house or the road next to the course than someone judging me by what I play lol. Besides, they probably cant see what I play anyway since I cover my bag with a towel when I'm riding in a cart...that or I'm usually down in the trees completely away from them anyway lol.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='stonecutter908' timestamp='1320068167' post='3741507']
I do it, sure we all do ... scope out the bag on the 1st or 2nd tee and make judgment.

I do really like being pleasantly surprised when a guy has a beat set of ultra 45 irons and breaks 80.
[/quote]

I'll admit, I do it on occasion however its under my breathe.

BTW I LOVED the Ultra 45 irons back in the day!

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

They'd probably think I was a hack.

Almost all Adams, with only my driver with a non-stock shaft (9015d with Attas 7X).

5 iron as the longest iron.

The only cred club I have is my TEE CB4 3 wood.

I also rock a belly putter....not sure what that says?

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

[quote name='bomberman' timestamp='1320069380' post='3741565']
They'd probably think I was a hack.

Almost all Adams, with only my driver with a non-stock shaft (9015d with Attas 7X).

5 iron as the longest iron.

The only cred club I have is my TEE CB4 3 wood.

I also rock a belly putter....not sure what that says?
[/quote]

That brings up a good point, when someone uses a belly putter, do you think they are a better or worse player?

I dont know what people think of me when they look at my bag. I think they would say TM poser/junkie or something along those lines. I also dont worry about it, i like to let my golf do the talking.

I will admit i love to look into other players bags. you can get some great stories from clubs in other peoples bags. I dont judge them cause play what you want to play.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

If someone is going to judge me by the clubs in my bag, they must be pretty shallow, so I really don't care what they think.

rolleyes.gif Judging your golf game and your personality based on what's in your golf bag is one thing. I don't think anyone is judging somebody's character based on their clubs.

I think people would think I'm a poser or a really good player, of which I am neither.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

People would likely look at my bag and think poser. I play Titleist top to bottom. 910 driver, 909 woods, AP2 irons, Vokeys and a SC putter. Most days I can hold my own and shoot high 70's or low 80's. But every once in a while its just flat ugly and I indeed look like a poser with my bag, coming in with a 90 something. I play what I like and feel comfortable with though, and thats whats important to me.

If you saw one of my good friends though, you would probably think total hack and that he just doesn't care. He has had the same setup since Ive known him, about 6 years now. He doesn't have a lot of money to buy clubs all the time, but he can clean up shop with his rag tag bag. For a while he was sporting the old Titleist 975J (just upgraded to a 905R a couple years ago). He has a Cleveland 3 wood that's probably about 10 years old, Callaway X-14 irons but the 4 iron shaft is bent slightly above the hosel (he still plays with it) and the 7 iron shaft was broken and out of service for about a full year before he got it fixed, one TM 56* wedge and a Cleveland Classic putter. Anytime he shoots above 75, its a bad day. And I saw him shoot 68 one day with the 975J and no 7 iron. I am scared to see what he would shoot if he had a bag full of newer clubs that were in good working order. I would buy him a set to find out, but I am scared I might never beat him again!

Taylormade M2 9.5 - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Taylormade M1 15 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade M1 19 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade P790 UDI 2i - PX 6.5
Taylormade P750 3-PW - DG X100
Titleist SM6 54.10S, 60.08M - DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89

The Grint Username: kreddell

People look at my bag and probably think I am a Ping poser. I also like to look like a golfer when I go to the course. I don't worry about it though, I like to think that I have the game to back it up.

My home course is a course that many people come to play for vacation (Robert Trent Jones golf trail) so I try to always be polite and represent myself and my course well. I am never snobby and I always try to have good golf etiquette.

I always notice the condition of people's equipment and attire. It does bother me when somebody pays good money for expensive equipment and doesn't take care of it. I think that says alot about somebody - take care of the stuff you pay your money for.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

Betting rule #37;

Never bet a guy with Ping G series irons in his bag until you've seen him play.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I just look to see what neat clubs he might have, maybe check to see if there is any browning on the sweet spots and thats about it.
Ever since I played with a fellow that was a 4 handicap and he was playing the Callaway 2002 Big Berthas, I don't jump to any conclusions.

I agree that the condition of the clubs may affect my judgement; dirty clubs erk me, it doesnt take a second to wipe them down.

Myself, I tend to be a "credit card athelite" but in golf as far as I go is that my bag matches my clubs, (Mizuno MX-100, SGI shovels, but they work)

When my handicap gets to single digits then I get everything matching!

People would probably think I bought a box-set from Wal-Mart...

[b]Driver[/b] - Power Play Q2 10.5* + UST Comp 65 R+
[b]Fairway[/b] - Power Play Q2 19* + UST Comp 65 R+
[b]Hybrid[/b] - Power Play Q2 4h 23* + UST Comp 65 R+
[b]Mid-Irons[/b] - Acer XF HT + Apollo Shadow Steel R+
[b]Short-Irons[/b] - Acer XF + Apollow Shadow Steel R+
[b]Wedges[/b] - Acer XC + Apollo Standard R
[b]Putter[/b] - Bionik 105 Nano White + Apollo Stepless

99% of golfers have never heard of Hireko, Acer, PowerPlaym Karma, Bionik etc and would probably think they're zinc/chinese/etc. The driver, 5w and 4h being the same brand/shaft/grip might add to that misconception. That said, I custom built & fit them myself and they're excellent clubs for the money, especially since I was looking for major GI with minimal investment as I get back into the game after several years of minimal play. I may spend more on irons once I transition back to more of a "player's" club, but the experience with Hireko so far has been good enough that I'll at least consider what they're offering before making any new purchase... although the Adams A4R has my attention. It's hard to justify buying another set of irons as the weather is starting to cool off...

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I almost always look, but it's not a conscious thing. I don't judge a guy or girl based on their gear. I've been playing long enough to have almost seen it all in terms of equipment.

As far as my own bag...it's nothing special. Generally clean but not shiny, no OEM headcovers or logos. I do a good job of blending in at almost any course when it comes to equipment and clothing. Just another guy out there playing golf.

It depends when you see me. If you look at my sig you probably assume I have game.

If I saw me walking or teeing off on the first hole I would assume I had game with the X-Protos, but if you let me play through on a Par 3 you'll see me shank, top, miss, hit fat, or any other terrible outcome you can think of. I don't do well with an audience.

Now if you let me play through on a hole I can tee off with a driver I'm plenty comfortable.

My Dad and I were playing a busy Saturday afternoon round and a single decided to join up with us. Older athletic guy, with an R5 driver head cover, a Nike fairway head cover and 2-PW Gold Big Berthas and a Tei3 with no head cover and more dings then a 20 year old forged iron.

He proceeded to not miss a fairway or green, and 1 putt for the 7 holes he played with us. Never took a wood out of the bag, just used his 2 iron for tee shots.

I would bet they wonder with my bag. Normally has 3 drivers at least of the same model different shafts. Staff bag...of course gets the first impression. Blades....yeah they assume I can play a little....but other than that I dont think people really put much stock into it unless they are a ho like me of which I have not met in a long time. The majority of golfers look at my cally protos and say..."I didnt know Callaway made blades...."

I always get the question on the range..."are you testing out different drivers or something" when they see all 4 of mine lined up next to my bag while I ho out looking for the shaft of the day. Last weekend I got a question if I was in a long drive competition or something with all my drivers.

So I think most golfers just blow it off...

The courses I play seem to attract players with with high handicaps and eclectic bags. I see a few newer drivers (K15, G15, Diablo, R9), nothing white. Usually older irons, very few use hybrids. The only single digit player (that played like it) I've been paired with was the only player I can remember having a "clean" bag - all TM, with SF 1.0 driver + FWs, Burner irons (didn't notice brand of wedges or putter).

I hadn't thought about this before this thread was posted, but my bag mirrors my game. Some new, some old; some good, some bad (and some ugly). I've been trying different lofts/shafts with my drivers and I get different results day to day - G15, Rapture w/aftermarket shafts. No reason to change my trusty 3W - Orlimar 14*. Hybrids are either great or awful - i15 & burner '07. Irons are predictable - i3 OS. Had to try out the ball eating wedges - Jaws non-CC. It's bizarre looking, but I (usually) putt well with it - Odyssey Teron.
I can get on a roll and make 5,6 pars in a row. I can spray every shot and card 3,4 doubles in a row.

No judging, but sometimes I get interested. I look into another player's bag when he constantly does something special, either good or bad. For instance, when somebody gets an extraordinary amount of spin with his wedges, I look which wedges and which balls he plays.
I also did it last weekend. I am a short-knocker by GolfWrx standards, but I am not used to being constantly outdriven by somebody who is my age and in my handicap range. But this guy did it all the time, and by a country mile. After the eighth hole I took a closer look at his driver:
Taylormade R540XD.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.