2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

People would probably have a what the heck moment with my bag.

Driver - TM Burner with Bubble II shaft. Half the time when I pull it out people think it's a 3-wood.

3-wood: PowerBuilt Persimmon

Irons: Mizuno Pro-IIs, 2-PW, lovingly worn, all with just a bit of lead tape backing

Wedges: Well broken in Mizuno MP-11s

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3 with and unknown but perfect-feeling amount of tape. 8 1-inch strips on the heel and toe, six in the center. Perhaps I'll get it professionally done at some point, but it's unfinished look is sexy to me for now.

I'm sure anyone who looks at least assumes there's a method to it all, or that I was drunk when I put it all together. As to other people, I haven't bothered looking in other bags since I stopped playing with my friends regularly after I was done with junior golf.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1320465602' post='3761723']

Driver - TM Burner with Bubble II shaft. Half the time when I pull it out people think it's a 3-wood.

Irons: Mizuno Pro-IIs, 2-PW, lovingly worn, all with just a bit of lead tape backing

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3 with and unknown but perfect-feeling amount of tape. 8 1-inch strips on the heel and toe, six in the center. Perhaps I'll get it professionally done at some point, but it's unfinished look is sexy to me for now.

I'm sure anyone who looks at least assumes there's a method to it all, or that I was drunk when I put it all together. As to other people, I haven't bothered looking in other bags since I stopped playing with my friends regularly after I was done with junior golf.
[/quote]

I just had a "what the heck moment" reading your WITB. I had to look at my calendar to make sure it wasn't 1995. Just kidding of course. Use what works for you. And the PowerBuilt persimmon 3 wood is fantastic.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='OpusX20' timestamp='1320466031' post='3761745']
[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1320465602' post='3761723']

[/quote]

I just had a "what the heck moment" reading your WITB. I had to look at my calendar to make sure it wasn't 1995. Just kidding of course. Use what works for you. And the PowerBuilt persimmon 3 wood is fantastic.
[/quote]

Same here, I did like those Mizuno Pro II irons when I had them long time ago. I do look at others bags, mostly out of curiousity but I don't judge them by their bags. I learned that lesson long time ago. Recently I played with a good player that still uses old, nearly worn out persimmon 3 and 5 woods. Still hits them very nicely.

Recently I made a transition from players cb's irons to GI irons and I think I like them so far.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Ok, I am keen on some feedback on my bag.

Ping Stand Bad
Mizuno T Zoid Pro 2 with Rifles (labels all twisted around - spine and flow
Vega 52 and 56 RAW wedges
Vokey 60 degree with a custom ground
Scotty Newport with UST composit shaft (rusty 20 years old)
Titleist 983 10.5 driver
Calloway Big Bertha 2 wood (20 years old)
Titleist 975 5 wood
Ping Eye 2 1 iron with Rifle (20 years old)
All in leather tour wrap grips.

Loads of lead tape or head ground for MOI.
Sharpened grooves.

[quote name='dogsbe' timestamp='1320857296' post='3779261']

Ping Stand Bad
Titleist 983 10.5 driver
Titleist 975 5 wood

Sharpened grooves.
[/quote]Old school bag,I`m guessing you`re in your late 30's early 40's and obviously not into all the latest and greatest.The manufacturers can`t sucker you into parting with cash.You`ve obviously got game,1 iron,spining and flo'ing,lead tape,custom grind on the 60.Low amateur or pro and have been for a long time but possibly related to Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Whatever works.

I never judged players for what they play

but I always loved clubs... so i always admired the newest or the old holy grails....

i guess the only time i judge people... are when they have super uber rare shafts or clubs that you can't really get....

and i assume their good for whatever reason haha and i just drool at their clubs

i remember as junior golfer i use to think... maybe if i admired their clubs long enough... and when they get new stuff theyll give them to me.... NEVER THE CASE :( dreams shattered hahaa

if someone looked at my bag... theyd think nothing of it really... maybe a HACK? maybe not?

i have clunky shovel wilsons with leadtape all over them
wedges with leadtape all over them
a belly putter < ------------ this guy can't putt !?!?!

other than my bag people will judge/comment on what i wear... mind you i have always been on a tight budget so all my golf clothes have been from playing fundraiser tournaments i been asked to play in scrambles, old school shirts, old course shirts where i worked at, old golf team shirts.... fades khakis.... i wear cargo shorts...

dammmm i just realized if i looked at myself on a course i would be like " WTF?!?! whos this guy" ahahha

Adams F11 9.5 Axivcore Green X
Sonartec SS-07 13* GD PM-902x
Nickent 3dx DC 20* Fuji Speeder 904hb X
Wilson Staff Ci9 4-9 DG X200
Taylormade RAC 48*
Mizuno 2010c MP-T10 54*
Mizuno 2010c MP-T10 60*
Odyssey XG 7 mid
Titleist Prov1x
Black Ping 4under bag
Captain America Headcover
Angry Bird headcovers

what do you guys say about my bag?

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='vman' timestamp='1320858844' post='3779365']
[quote name='dogsbe' timestamp='1320857296' post='3779261']

Ping Stand Bad
Titleist 983 10.5 driver
Titleist 975 5 wood

Sharpened grooves.
[/quote]Old school bag,I`m guessing you`re in your late 30's early 40's and obviously not into all the latest and greatest.The manufacturers can`t sucker you into parting with cash.You`ve obviously got game,1 iron,spining and flo'ing,lead tape,custom grind on the 60.Low amateur or pro and have been for a long time but possibly related to Ebeneezer Scrooge.
[/quote]

Oh that is bloody funny and pretty much spot on! However, I am not really cheap, I just spend my golf budget on things that matter, like being a member of 2 golf clubs, fresh golf balls, golf lessons and workshop filled with club making tools. Actually, I turn 40 in a couple weeks and I have decided to splash out a new set of irons. I am having a set of Miura Tournment Blades. Non-OEM high quality companies get my money, not marketing departments.

If you showed up on the first tee with Miura irons, non-stock shafts in woods, custom ground and fitted wedges, and a Scotty in a standard headcover, 98% of the people would not blink an eye. Away from golf forums, I don't think the average player would recognize what you have. If you tore it up, then their interest would be piqued, but I think they would assume you were just good, even though you were playing some odd component irons etc. I've never seen a set of Miuras, Scratches, or Epons, and I've been hanging around these forums for years. If you make a big deal of owning this stuff, I would think you are way too impressed with yourself.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1320866676' post='3779893']
If you showed up on the first tee with Miura irons, non-stock shafts in woods, custom ground and fitted wedges, and a Scotty in a standard headcover, 98% of the people would not blink an eye. Away from golf forums, I don't think the average player would recognize what you have. If you tore it up, then their interest would be piqued, but I think they would assume you were just good, even though you were playing some odd component irons etc. I've never seen a set of Miuras, Scratches, or Epons, and I've been hanging around these forums for years. If you make a big deal of owning this stuff, I would think you are way too impressed with yourself.
[/quote]

+1

but then again... i dont want to sound like every other goflwrxer....

but when your having a good round... and people your paired up with take a look at your clubs and your shafts....

it seems like 80% assume the clubs have alot to do with it...

"ooo fancy shaft... that must help keep the ball down.."
"I wish i had that.... i hit a bad hook that looks like it would help my shot.. you hit a nice little fade "

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Typically I think forged irons are associated with a good player. I also think mixed sets do the same. Seeing somebody with an entire set of something tells me they just went out and bought a set and didn't put much thought into it. Good players don't seem as brand loyal I guess. They use what works. At least that's what I have found. Obviously this isn't always the case. I almost alwasy make assumptions of another player by what they have in the bag. Hard not to

[quote name='sbdude' timestamp='1320873633' post='3780397']
OK, so what does this say about me.....

Ping G10 10.5 with ProLaunch Platinum
Homemade 3 wood (15-20 years old)
Titleist DTR 3-PW (circa 1987)
Mizuno MP-T10 black 54 & 58 wedges
Ping B60 putter
Sometimes steal my wife's Adams Ovation 5 wood

This should be interesting.......

[/quote]

I would give it a 12-14 handicap. The set clearly shows some striking ability and confidence in the clubs, but there is a lot of forgiveness. Further, I would expect the strength in your game is your iron shots particularly between 110-170 yards, reasonable tee shots and tidy around the greens. However, I would not think that you have great capacity to conjour up a shot to save par from the "shite". So in match play, if you hit a poor tee shot, I would look to find the easiest way to make par to win the hole.

[quote name='18thbunker' timestamp='1320436514' post='3759919']
hmmmm, wonder what his golfwrx's username ???:tongue:

[quote name='DGE' timestamp='1320371702' post='3757103']
Titleist 910 D3 8.5
Titleist 910 FD 13.5
Adams Superhybrid 17 & 21
Accra Dymatch S2 shafts

Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, 5 through G
Ping Tour-S 54
Vokey Spin Mill 58-12
KBS C-Taper shafts

Scotty Cameron California Monterey (first 50)
Titleist lightweight carry bag
Rocket Tour covers

Good or bad?
[/quote]
[/quote]

User name has no hidden meaning beyond initials for family names. If this is meant to make fun of anyone, I thought this site was better than that.

I think he was saying it as a joke as if e saw your bag he would reconize it was a golfwrxr as you have a prototypical bag

[quote name='DGE' timestamp='1320881854' post='3780957']

Titleist 910 D3 8.5
Titleist 910 FD 13.5
Accra Dymatch S2 shafts

Ping Tour-S 54
Vokey Spin Mill 58-12
KBS C-Taper shafts

Rocket Tour covers

Good or bad?
[/quote]
[/quote]

User name has no hidden meaning beyond initials for family names. If this is meant to make fun of anyone, I thought this site was better than that.
[/quote]

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1320882320' post='3780995']
I think he was saying it as a joke as if e saw your bag he would reconize it was a golfwrxr as you have a prototypical bag

[quote name='DGE' timestamp='1320881854' post='3780957']

Titleist 910 D3 8.5
Titleist 910 FD 13.5
Accra Dymatch S2 shafts

Ping Tour-S 54
Vokey Spin Mill 58-12
KBS C-Taper shafts

Rocket Tour covers

Good or bad?
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thx. I was puzzled. Makes sense and innocent enough. Have to admit addiction to site way too much, but it has helped on club evaluation and also is just fun. Lost any hesitancy to using JPX Pros after reading comments here, and they have been a revelation, especially with the C-Tapers, which are also recommeded highly by many users. Didn't know anything about Accra shafts which were recommended by fitter, and comments here plus real world experience have been consistent. They are solid. Appreciate all the helpful info from everyone. This is a great community.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1320866676' post='3779893']
[/quote]

Your absolutely right, most people don't have a clue about what is in my bag. My general impression is that they think I have a fairly scrappy set of golf clubs and their eyes are most focused on the amount of rust! Except for my putter, I can't remember when anyone wanted my clubs, as they just don't match up with peoples' current understanding of golf clubs. Genearlly, I don't talk about equipment on the course for good reasons. The biggest is that I don't follow OEM clubs and their newest technology., so I can never talk intelligently about them. Secondly, the things that matter to me about clubs is not generally apperciated by the majority of golfers, particularly the look, feel and versatility of the club. As a result, they just think that I am as quirky as my clubs. I have not yet received the Miura blades yet, but I am pretty sure that the majority of golfers will just see blades. Yes, I am dead impressed with myself with getting a set of Miura, but not because of the expense. I would be far happier to spend £500 on set of irons, but I can feel the world of difference between OEM and top quality blades. I don't expect much performance difference, but the difference in feeling is worth the price, provided that I keep them for atleast 10 years.

WTF, I'll play along. I know better than to judge folks by what they play btw. I've been alternating between the Adams and Wishon drivers. GEEK DCT on standby.

2011 WISHON 919THI Harrison SAGA 60S
ADAMS Speedline 4G UL Harrison SAGA 60R tipped 1/2"
ADAMS Insight Tech A4 hyb/fwy 15* Matrix Ozik 70R
ADAMS Insight Tech A4 hyb/fwy 18* Matrix Ozik 70R
ADAMS Idea Black Super Hybrid 21* Aldila Voodoo RNV8
ADAMS A4R 5-PW Apollo Spectre Lite R
SCRATCH 8620DD 50* Project X 6.0HL
SONARTEC t46 East Coast 52* DGS200
SONARTEC t46 East Coast 56* DGS200
TAYLORMADE Rosa Monza Spicer Vicino CS
FREE- Tour caliber balls and then some
Stand bag- 2011 OGIO Grom- Red Griddle
Cart bag- OGIO Stinger 2 with R.A.I.L. (Rapid Access Incline Lock)
FootJoy Contours, Oakley, Adidas, Nike etc.
IZZO Swami

I'm curious too. Let's hear some feedback

Cally DET 8.5 with musical shafts, currently gaming old school Aldila NV75X
Cally FT Tour 3W with Diamana BB 83x (with white Callaway pom headcover)
Adams Pro Black 9031 18* with Aldila RIP X
Cally X22 Tour 3i PX 7.0
Cally 09 X-Forged 4-PW PX 7.0
Cally X-Forged 54 and 58, DG X100
Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #4 custom Belly

14 clubs

the guy with the full matching bag clubs and apparel is the guy i judge.... but i used to be that guy all titleist nothing else.... even though i love titleist we just cant be friends right now but ive always had a second love..... PING i love ping's eqipment.....

what my bag says about me? i dunno what you guys think....

Titleist black cart bag
taylormade superfast 2.0 on the way out looking for somthing else...
ping anser 3-pw with kbs tours
titleist oilcan vokeys
ping pal, anser, or a-blade putters all almost as old as i am
florida state seminoles towel....

let me know

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1320859398' post='3779401']
I never judged players for what they play

but I always loved clubs... so i always admired the newest or the old holy grails....

i guess the only time i judge people... are when they have super uber rare shafts or clubs that you can't really get....

and i assume their good for whatever reason haha and i just drool at their clubs

i remember as junior golfer i use to think... maybe if i admired their clubs long enough... and when they get new stuff theyll give them to me.... NEVER THE CASE :( dreams shattered hahaa

if someone looked at my bag... theyd think nothing of it really... maybe a HACK? maybe not?

i have clunky shovel wilsons with leadtape all over them
wedges with leadtape all over them
a belly putter < ------------ this guy can't putt !?!?!

other than my bag people will judge/comment on what i wear... mind you i have always been on a tight budget so all my golf clothes have been from playing fundraiser tournaments i been asked to play in scrambles, old school shirts, old course shirts where i worked at, old golf team shirts.... fades khakis.... i wear cargo shorts...

dammmm i just realized if i looked at myself on a course i would be like " WTF?!?! whos this guy" ahahha

Adams F11 9.5 Axivcore Green X
Sonartec SS-07 13* GD PM-902x
Nickent 3dx DC 20* Fuji Speeder 904hb X
Wilson Staff Ci9 4-9 DG X200
Taylormade RAC 48*
Mizuno 2010c MP-T10 54*
Mizuno 2010c MP-T10 60*
Odyssey XG 7 mid
Titleist Prov1x
Black Ping 4under bag
Captain America Headcover
Angry Bird headcovers

what do you guys say about my bag?
[/quote]I like your bag,it's individual,different manufacturers.You must be a high ballflight/spin player 110+mph swingspeedspeed,in your 30's I would guess.You like to just rock up and play golf,low handicap but prone to a hook.

Whatever works.

[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1320885700' post='3781215']
WTF, I'll play along. I know better than to judge folks by what they play btw. I've been alternating between the Adams and Wishon drivers. GEEK DCT on standby.

2011 WISHON 919THI Harrison SAGA 60S
ADAMS Speedline 4G UL Harrison SAGA 60R tipped 1/2"
ADAMS Insight Tech A4 hyb/fwy 15* Matrix Ozik 70R
ADAMS Insight Tech A4 hyb/fwy 18* Matrix Ozik 70R
ADAMS Idea Black Super Hybrid 21* Aldila Voodoo RNV8
ADAMS A4R 5-PW Apollo Spectre Lite R
SCRATCH 8620DD 50* Project X 6.0HL
SONARTEC t46 East Coast 52* DGS200
SONARTEC t46 East Coast 56* DGS200
TAYLORMADE Rosa Monza Spicer Vicino CS
FREE- Tour caliber balls and then some
Stand bag- 2011 OGIO Grom- Red Griddle
Cart bag- OGIO Stinger 2 with R.A.I.L. (Rapid Access Incline Lock)
FootJoy Contours, Oakley, Adidas, Nike etc.
IZZO Swami
[/quote]
Your bag says you clearly love golf,play a lot and seem quite passionate about your gear.You are probably 50+ with a swingspeed under 100mph,from the shafts possibly a low ballflight.You like to maximise your distance and most definitely like to use what works,if it works it's in the bag.It`s a nice set up.Probably putt left hand low too.

Whatever works.

I think it's much more common for golfers to "not" play up to their bags. On the munis I play you'll see way more posers than the other way around. The best golfers I've played with usually have beat up bags. Two examples:

A buddy and I got paired up with two "old guys" a few years ago (I'm 58, so when I say old, I mean old). Anyway, we're thinking this is going to be a drag. The worst part is we are in a cart and the two old guys are walking. Anyway, one of them proceeds to stripe his "Billy Bob" driver about 270 right down the middle from the tips. His bag: Billy Bob driver, 3 and 5 woods, old Maxfli VHL irons (remember those?), a beat up old no-name sand wedge and putter, 13 clubs in all. Shot 77 on a pretty tough track. Found out he was the boys golf coach of the four time state championship high school golf team! Great driver of the ball and a magician around the greens. At the time he was around 70, and he is now retired.

Another time I played at the Bull in Sheboygan Wi, a VERY tough track, with a guy that doesn't play much who shot 76. Old Taylor Made 320 irons, and I don't even remember his other clubs....they looked like junk as he didn't even bother with head covers. Old beat up green Ping Hoofer. The guy hit nothing but long accurate draws, even with his 3 iron. His shot didn't change much, so he wasn't one of those guys that works the ball, but he was an unbelievable ball striker.

Anyway, I love golf equipment and reading about stuff like this. Another cool thread started by MtJeff; he should be the GolfWrx "thread emeritus."

[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1320889718' post='3781501']

Cally X22 Tour 3i PX 7.0
[/quote]
This bag shouts PLAYER.I mean PX7.0 are pokers.You must be young and strong,obvious 115mph+ clubhead speed.Cally matching(and Odyssey putter)apart from a player hybrid,you like to look the part but can back it up.Probably a college player or mini tour pro/assistant pro.Strong ballstriker who doesn`t like hitting it left,putting woes leave you exasperated.

Whatever works.

I'm a total poser.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

[quote name='vman' timestamp='1320941693' post='3783791']
[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1320889718' post='3781501']

Cally X22 Tour 3i PX 7.0
[/quote]
This bag shouts PLAYER.I mean PX7.0 are pokers.You must be young and strong,obvious 115mph+ clubhead speed.Cally matching(and Odyssey putter)apart from a player hybrid,you like to look the part but can back it up.Probably a college player or mini tour pro/assistant pro.Strong ballstriker who doesn`t like hitting it left,putting woes leave you exasperated.
[/quote]

That sir, was impressive. Sure I haven't played with you before?

14 clubs