Bridgestone J40 430 Driver REVIEW

Test panel Review
**************** Bridgestone J40 430cc Driver (8.5*)****************

Pros-

This driver is a deep faced, low spin machine. Being honest I've never played a Bridgestone club in my life but have to say this one has made an incredible first impression. Sleek lines with a slightly squared toe leaves this driver begging to be worked both left and right. If what you are looking for is a more traditional head that from the top looks more like 380cc instead of 400 plus this is your stick.

Cons-

This driver is made for the better player that wants to work the ball rather then straight down the fairway. Although this driver has some forgiveness it's more vertical then horizontal so anyone who's not consistent in the ball striking department may want to opt for the 445cc head.

Bottom Line-

This driver has shocked me. This is my introduction in the world of Bridgestone clubs and as I stated above I'm impressed. As a result I will be looking hard into the J40 irons as well. Low Spin, Low launch with a lot of workability, I'm all in. Combine that with a stock real deal Project X shaft and it's time to launch some missiles.

Review:

Looks-

As I said above the club is drop dead sexy. The J40 430 has a traditional pear shaped crown that is clean as a whistle with no alignment aid or any other distracting graphics. The sole of the club just looks down right mean. Looking down at this club inspires confidence and accuracy. It looks sub 400 from the top which is what we've all been asking for from an OEM. Well Bridgestone listened and delivered. At address the driver sits dead square and brings you back to the days before we had refrigerators on a broom stick. This is the first driver in years that actually has modern tech in a traditional, workable head.

Performance-

Although sometimes looks are enough for some of us on Golfwrx the club actually performs even better. The 430 head combined with real deal Project X shafts creates a low to mid trajectory launch while maintaining low spin. It's like peanut butter and jelly, the perfect match. At the time of writing this review I've played 5 rounds and 3 practice sessions with this driver and went so far as to take the 3wood out of the bag to see if I could hit this driver using 3 quarter shots, up, down, left, right, sideways, and highways haha You name it I did it. Bottom line is the club did everything Bridgestone claims it would. I was actually able to work a draw just as easily as a fade. I was also able to hit stinger type shots off the tee to keep the ball under the wind. I had FUN off the tee again. I forgot how fun it is to work the golf ball with a wood. I also have to note this thing is LOW spin. I've been know to impart too much spin with drivers so this is a great head for me. Tee shots bored through the wind with ease.

Feel-

Feel is subjective and with drivers it's something I'm very sensitive to. I'm a fan of more muted drivers that tend to feel very solid at impact. The J40 430 gets real close to being ideal. This driver has a small ting to it but feels extremely solid. It also feels a bit lighter then what I normally play so I will most likely add some hotmelt or cotton to the head as I also play drivers a bit shorter then today's standard. For me sound and feel are almost the same thing so I typically hotmelt all of my drivers as I'm always looking for a driver that sounds like a persimmon wood lol. Either way the 430 for most will sound great.. For those that like a very muted sound you will need to add a dab or two of hotmelt or some cotton to adjust it to your liking. And the Project X shaft as we all know is super stable and compliments the J40 quite nicely. What you get is a smooth yet stable driver. Perfect combo.

Overall Bottom Line:

I AM SOLD. Bridgestone has made a believer out of me and I'm now looking into the J40 PC irons. My previous gamer was the R11 which isn't getting kicked to the curb but instead sharing space with a new friend. As you can see below I'm done a few comparision pics with my R11 to help see shape and size. So moving forward and depending on course and conditions I will be further experimenting with both drivers to see who will be king of the hill. Have to say I haven't been this excited about a driver in a long time. Working the ball off the tee is tons of fun and I darn near forgot how to do it. Clubs today are designed to be maxed out in size and want the ball coming off the face straight as an arrow. That is all well and good but when you're playing at a high level and need to work the ball the big block heads don't help. If you want a pear shaped clean crown with modern tech, low spin, and low-mid trajectory, BUY THIS DRIVER. Now the only thing I need is an old balata and I'll really be working it !

Top view is classic. and J40 compared to R11 from the top

Face on with comparison as well to R11:

Sole just looks awesome as well as the shaft (project x)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome review... I'm looking forward to getting my hands on both the J40 drivers and adding one to my bag.

I like the smaller head, but probably need the forgiveness of the bigger club (or a shorter driver)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Now I can die ! Absolutely gorgeous !

Glad to hear this thing is really easy to work, you've got me excited

The face looks deeper and only slightly smaller to me compared to the R11 considering it looks 100x better than the R11 from address. As you said she looks sub 400cc to me.

Not sure if I'll go for this or the Vr Pro LE for 2012

Nice review.

[quote name='abewley' timestamp='1320946159' post='3784079']
does the 445 cc head share the same face size? just bigger body?
[/quote]

The 445 cc has a bigger, shallower face. It's stretched back and lower to the ground in general for higher launch and forgiveness. 445 is geared for the mid/high - low handicap. While I'd call the 430 a low handicap / good strikers driver.

Thanks everyone. This driver is going to be a big seller IF Bridgestone gets it in stores. Again that's my only issue with them right now. If they put half the amount of marketing dollars into clubs as they do balls they will be flying off the shelf. This driver is honestly perfect in every way for a shaper of the golf ball.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1320945305' post='3784031']
2012 is the year of the driver!!! Nice review for an incredible looking driver. How was the distance compared to the R11? Did you get to do any Trackman comparison? Thx
[/quote]

Sorry I don't have any numbers for ya didn't want to do a comparison as shafts are different. I"ll probably drop project x 6.5 in this or tip this shaft as it's a little soft for me. Distance was great and on par with my R11. I typically judge drivers by accuracy so that's why I didn't mention distance that much. I hate reviews that say "this driver was 20yds longer" I'm sorry but if that's the case theres a problem with your current setup.

[quote name='tampay' timestamp='1320946575' post='3784107']
[quote name='abewley' timestamp='1320946159' post='3784079']
does the 445 cc head share the same face size? just bigger body?
[/quote]

The 445 cc has a bigger, shallower face. It's stretched back and lower to the ground in general for higher launch and forgiveness. 445 is geared for the mid/high - low handicap. While I'd call the 430 a low handicap / good strikers driver.
[/quote]

Yep.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1320947125' post='3784137']
2012 is the year of the driver!!! Nice review for an incredible looking driver. How was the distance compared to the R11? Did you get to do any Trackman comparison? Thx
[/quote]

Sorry I don't have any numbers for ya didn't want to do a comparison as shafts are different. I"ll probably drop project x 6.5 in this or tip this shaft as it's a little soft for me. Distance was great and on par with my R11. I typically judge drivers by accuracy so that's why I didn't mention distance that much. I hate reviews that say "this driver was 20yds longer" I'm sorry but if that's the case theres a problem with your current setup.

[/quote]
No worries- the reason that I asked about distance is because the last Bridgestone Driver that I had was a dud (J33R). I tried many shafts and could never get the ball speed to increase.

This driver is on my list for 2012. Thx for the review and comparison picts.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1320950857' post='3784403']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1320947125' post='3784137']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No worries- the reason that I asked about distance is because the last Bridgestone Driver that I had was a dud (J33R). I tried many shafts and could never get the ball speed to increase.

This driver is on my list for 2012. Thx for the review and comparison picts.
[/quote]

No prob. No worries Distance is there. i'm going to play around with the SW and shaft because I just can't help myself. I'm going to max this puppy out!

Edel PROTO

[quote name='FairwayFred' timestamp='1320952570' post='3784527']
Wish this driver came in 10.5*. It looks even better in person.
[/quote]

Yes it does. SMOOOTH as silk.

On a side note Ari, heard you on XM pga network. Good interview wish I could afford a set of your custom stix they are sweet my man.:clapping:

Edel PROTO

While it may be the real deal, the shaft appears to be the higher torque non-tip-stiff tour version shipped with 910 series? Amazing to read the comment about j33r since the one I had was absolutely the longest thing I ever owned.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[/quote]

You can get a 10 - 10.5 degree head pretty easily if you just measure the specs on all the drivers in the shop as the tolerances aren't that tight on driver lofts. IMO there is a 20% chance that a 9.5 stamped head will be over 10 degrees. Thats what I'm gonna do if I decide to get this driver. The hosel is also pretty long, so it should bend a little. I also wonder if a place like Discount Dans would measure a few heads for you if you asked.

[quote name='tampay' timestamp='1320963739' post='3785347']
[/quote]

You can get a 10 - 10.5 degree head pretty easily if you just measure the specs on all the drivers in the shop as the tolerances aren't that tight on driver lofts. IMO there is a 20% chance that a 9.5 stamped head will be over 10 degrees. Thats what I'm gonna do if I decide to get this driver. The hosel is also pretty long, so it should bend a little. I also wonder if a place like Discount Dans would measure a few heads for you if you asked.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing... I've dealt with their customer service reps, and they were excellent... you could probably get at least a 10 degree driver (assuming their tolerance is 1 degree).

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1320966468' post='3785599']
Any idea what street price is?
[/quote]

I've seen them at a few retailers @ $399

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Yes fella's this driver is just beautiful to look at. It reminds me of an updated 905. Its AWESOME. I'm going to be experimenting with some different shafts and add some weight to the head. I'll keep everyone posted as I play with my shiny new toy :clapping:

Edel PROTO

[quote name='GatorNate11' timestamp='1320977999' post='3786475']
Good review man. This driver has my interest along with the Vr Pro LE. Need to see if I can find a couple heads and put an AD DI 7x in there to test it against my Vr Tour and 910. Going to be a lot of driver testing next year.
[/quote]

Thanks. 2012 will be an interesting year. NO CLUB IN MY BAG IS SAFE :diablo:

Edel PROTO

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1320977324' post='3786433']
[quote name='FairwayFred' timestamp='1320975502' post='3786301']
I might have to pick one up with the highest actual loft I can find. Reminds me of the shape of the TourStage 430P. Good stuff.
[/quote]

Why would you want to replace your ezone 380?
[/quote]

No good reason at all lol. The ezone is fantastic.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1320979960' post='3786633']
[quote name='GatorNate11' timestamp='1320977999' post='3786475']
Good review man. This driver has my interest along with the Vr Pro LE. Need to see if I can find a couple heads and put an AD DI 7x in there to test it against my Vr Tour and 910. Going to be a lot of driver testing next year.
[/quote]

Thanks. 2012 will be an interesting year. NO CLUB IN MY BAG IS SAFE :diablo:
[/quote]

I'm trying to get everything worked out to play all of next season with one bag, but I don't think it's going to happen haha.

I want one too, the 445cc head in 10.5*. :partytime2:

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

If anyone is worried about the project x shaft being higher torque, take a look on the custom shaft options on the Bridgestone website. They have a bunch of great options that are in stock with no upcharge.

Thanks for the write up J13, very well done. After cracking one composite head, and hearing many stories like mine, I am leaning towards going back to all metal. I love a good deep face and have been looking at the Cobra S3 very closely, but this driver just looks phenomenal. I just hope like most that I'll have an opportunity to try it, as Bridgestone isn't well represented in my neck of the woods.

Taylormade M3 460 9.5*, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60x
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* and 18*, Aldila Voodoo SNV8
Ping i210 4-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54WS, 58ES, DG S400 TI onyx
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212516-dsparobs-2015-bag/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...arobs-2015-bag/[/url]