2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Tour ix

I found the ball to be very accurate off the tee and on full shots. I have a callaway x-forged wedge with mack daddy grooves, and those of you who own a wedge with these grooves you know how much they shred the ball. I found very minimal scuffing. I played Nike One Platinums prior to buying a dozen of these and although the One's are much softer and have a lot more spin, I would trade a little off each of them for the durability and high playability of these balls. I think I will stick with these for a while, but I plan on trying the B330's at some point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found one on the course yesterday. There was a lot of wind, and the first 3 holes on the back nine were directly into the wind. I doubled the 10th, par'ed 11. On 12 I hit my regular ball (Pro V1X). It ballooned into the wind. I thought, what the hell, let me try the iX. The drive with the iX was 30 yards past the Pro V1X. On the 13th, a 205 yard par 3, I hit a 6 iron, which is my 195 club. I hit the iX 8 yards over the green, 15 yards past the pin!!! Ended up bogeying that hole. If you are keeping track, that is 3 over after 4 on the back nine. I continued to use the ball for the remainder of the round. I went 3 under for the remaining 5 holes, and shot level that nine. Needless to say, I was very impressed with this ball.

Low spin off driver. Definitely spins a lot less of the driver than the Pro V1X, and hence is much longer.

Very nice feel.

Very durable. Did not have a scratch on it at the end of the round.

Dislikes

Goes low. I am a low ball hittter, so I need height.

Does not check as much on chips. Definitely runs out more.

Conclusion

I've only played 9 holes with it, but I am excited to play another round with it. I really like this ball so far.

• 3 weeks later...

After playing a few rounds with the Tour-ix, alternating it with the Srixon-ZURS and the Nike Platinum, I have to say this ball has one weakness and that is distance control on putts. I switched to a Sabertooth putter two months ago and I am very happy with it. I had some issues with distance control at first, but after a while I solved them with the Srixon and Nike balls. I have not been able to do that with the Tour-ix though, which is a pity, because I absolutely love the performance of this ball in all other aspects of the game. It is long and straight off the driver. It is not affected whatsoever by the wind, which is very important for me, because I play very windy courses all the time. It is long and spins enough off the irons. The spin around the greens is a little less than with the other balls I usually play, but enough, and very predictable.

But putting is a very different story. Especially downhill putts are a problem. I usually try to let those just die into the hole, and I often come up short with the tour-ix. Once it loses speed, it just seems to stop more quickly than other balls. Flat or uphill puts of more than 10 feet are also an adventure, as somtimes the ball will come of the clubface very hot, sometimes rather dull. Again, this is certainly not caused by my putter, because I have good distance control with it when using other balls.

With the way the tour-ix performs, I wish I was allowed to use it from tee to green and then switch to the Srixon or the Nike ball for putting. As that's not the case, I will probably use the 11 Callaways that are still left throughout the winter, and that will be it.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 2 weeks later...
After playing a few rounds with the Tour-ix, alternating it with the Srixon-ZURS and the Nike Platinum, I have to say this ball has one weakness and that is distance control on putts. I switched to a Sabertooth putter two months ago and I am very happy with it. I had some issues with distance control at first, but after a while I solved them with the Srixon and Nike balls. I have not been able to do that with the Tour-ix though, which is a pity, because I absolutely love the performance of this ball in all other aspects of the game. It is long and straight off the driver. It is not affected whatsoever by the wind, which is very important for me, because I play very windy courses all the time. It is long and spins enough off the irons. The spin around the greens is a little less than with the other balls I usually play, but enough, and very predictable.

But putting is a very different story. Especially downhill putts are a problem. I usually try to let those just die into the hole, and I often come up short with the tour-ix. Once it loses speed, it just seems to stop more quickly than other balls. Flat or uphill puts of more than 10 feet are also an adventure, as somtimes the ball will come of the clubface very hot, sometimes rather dull. Again, this is certainly not caused by my putter, because I have good distance control with it when using other balls.

With the way the tour-ix performs, I wish I was allowed to use it from tee to green and then switch to the Srixon or the Nike ball for putting. As that's not the case, I will probably use the 11 Callaways that are still left throughout the winter, and that will be it.

I have to revise my previous statement. The Tour ix gave me so much of an advance tee to green that I decided I had to try and learn how to putt well with it. In the past two weeks I spent about 15 hours in total on the putting green at my home course practicing with it, and it worked.

Still, it has its peculiarities. Once it starts losing speed, be it uphill or downhill, it stops quicker than other balls. And it rolls straighter, meaning, break and grain don't seem to have as much of an effect on it as they have on other balls. Now that I am used to it, it works like a charm off the putter as well. I had 28 putts today, which saved an otherwise lousy round.

It is my ball now, for sure.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 1 month later...

I love the Tour ix so far, it's very good from tee to green and where i find the ball saving me strokes is when i miss greens with it, very good response on feel chips/pitches. Overall, the part that takes a bit to get used to is on the putting surface, but i'm planning on spending most of my time there anyway since my putter is the weakest part of my game. Just ordered a bunch of used balls on ebay and the durability of these balls is amazing. The old HX tour's scuffed very easily and the used balls i got were practically brand new. I'll be playing this ball for a while, and only buying used since they are very durable. Ebay rocks!

• 3 weeks later...

is everyone/anyone still using this ball?

i'm a prov1/platinum user, usually, but have never tried this ball. i feel like i'm losing a few yards of distance and accuracy off the tee with the platinum due to excessive spin but i love the excellent spin around the greens the platinum provides.

can anyone elaborate on how much of a difference the spin off the driver is and off a sand wedge into a green between these two balls? thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bought a sleeve of these today to try out for a round and loved them incredibly low spinning off the driver. The urethane cover feels almost sticky when new, half wedge shots would one hop stop and a full shot with my 52 sucked it back about 5 feet but the greens were very wet today ill see how it reacts on firmer greens.

I am excited to try these balls. It seems like exactly what I was looking for. Low spin off the driver and decent spin on the greens. I have heard some complain that they are too "clicky" when putting, but I think it will match up well with my White Hot XG 2ball and the insert. I ordered 3 dozen used in mint condition for $59.

golf galaxy has a deal right now if you buy 12 you get 6 free so i bought a dozen.i usually play PRO V1 or PRO V1x or TP Black.i like the ball a lot and feel it is very similar to the other balls i play.it is long off the driver and spins plenty off the irons.the greens are still soft and i may go to the i in the summer.this ball spins less than PRO V1x and way less than PRO V.it is just as long if not longer.

i have some of the Chikara wedges and no ball holds up the grooves.i get bad shredding with all of the above balls.i can't say one is tougher than the other.sometimes on chip shots i like to throw the ball right at the pin and stop it dead for fun.these balls stop less than any of the above so i lose some of the fun,but as they say you are really supposed to get the ball on the ground anyway.

i had no problem with the feel off the putter although it isn't as soft as the PRO V1 or x or TP red but similar to TP black.i am not real picky about feel off the putter though especially if it goes in.

my 3 iron rolls out about 10 feet and anything under the 5 iron stops dead and sometimes the wedges back up a little,never too much like the PROV or TP red.my SS is anywhere from 100 to 110 with the driver

anyway all in all a very good ball.as good as any ball out there.

Ball has great durability... it was funny because i had been hitting ProV1's i had to switch balls every coupe holes because of the scratches and cuts... i could never understand how they got that cut up i mean i never hit cartpaths... when i got the tour ix my dad was throwing me three balls on the putting green over across a cart path and 2 of the 3 hit the cart path. I started yelling at my dad because i hadn't even hit the balls yet and there were already scratches on them (so i thought). When i looked at the balls you couldnt even tell what balls had hit the cart path. Played 36 holes with a sleeve and ball looks brand new. Bye Bye ProV1. :welcomeani: Callaway tour ix.

Don't care for it at all. It's a premium+ priced ball and IMO other lesser expensive balls out-perform it. I don't get much bite on greens either as approach shots of 100yds. or greenside pitches of 25 yds.

Not a terrible ball @$25, but, horrible for $45.

I would say its time to try the Tour i then. I spin the ball quite a bit and this ball checks plenty for me.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most of the people who have posted on here thus far regarding the Callaway Tour IX. Just to give you folks an idea I have always been a huge fan of the Pro V1x and have played this ball my entire life. I'm a high spin, high trajectory, high speed player. At 6'6" I swing quite hard (112 MPH) and the Pro V1x has always worked best for me. That is until recently I got "fitted" For a golf ball at my local golf shop. They had me hit about 15 drives into a launch monitor with software from 90 golf ball manufacturers.

the results? The callaway tour ix was ranked #1 for both distance and control. Keep in mind this just considers DRIVING - no short game chipping and putting. So, I made the switch and boy have I seen better results. Added 10 yards to my drives and about 5 yards on my irons. The ball has very low spin off the driver and really pierces through the air. I Mean, WOW. You will hit some bomb drives with this ball. The negatives? It is a little firm off wedges and around the greens in general. Also, the ball doesn't spin as great the Pro V1x. And it does feel firm off the putter. But if you are looking for fairway control (better driver accuracy, distance) then this is the ball for you! I'm impressed with how much this has lowered my ball flight.

Oh and durability. This ball is way more durable than the Pro V1x. I play the same ball for an entire round - no problemo.

supposedly its long and low spin off the driver. I don't disagree with that, feels solid on full shots. Spins enough on greens, but feel sucks. Chipping is decent, but I cannot putt it. It feels like putting with a ball wrapped in paper. I definitely do not recommend for putting feel, and putting is what puts the ball in the hole. 3/5

• 2 weeks later...

I have never hit a callaway ball that I liked, until I hit the iX. I couldnt stand the HX Tour or Tour 56, they felt way too soft and mushy for me. Every other callaway ball feels like a top flight. The iX is an incredible ball for me. It is long, and cuts through the wind quite well. i have always been a big fan of the ProV1 (not so much the V1x) but this ball has taken the V1 out of my bag.

Anyone care to explain how a ball is "clicky" on a putter or a shot? Every ball I have ever hit, or heard being hit, clicks when it leaves the face. It is impact of the ball on a hard surface, and is unavoidable, regardless of the ball. I've never understood that as a negative description.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I luv this ball,it has replaced my beloved wilson staff C:25.I tried a bunch of urethane balls and i always had problems with too much driver spin but not with this ball.The tour i(z) has less driver spin than any urethane ball i have ever tried but it still can be worked and of course has the spin and contriol around the greens of other urethanes.

In addition to the [i]buy 2 dozen and get another dozen for free[/i] promotion currently underway, I just saw in two different local Target stores this week that both the i(z) and i(s) balls have been marked down to $28.99 / dozen. Is there a new tour caliber ball coming from Callaway already?

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I switched to the Callaway Tour Ix earlier this year after a ball fitting that I thought i desperately needed. swing speed with driver is around 105-109 with medium to low launch. I was using the Bridgestone B330 s and didn't feel I was getting proper carry, especially off the Driver. Test showed Tour I(x) and I(s) as top 2 choices, both 20 yards longer than Bridgestone on chart. I bought a dozen and was pleasantly surprised. Distance was huge. 15-20 yards off driver and a good half club on irons. Spin was great off the irons and around the greens. Ball checked up fine, even on some firmer greens. Putting was not an issue either. Roll was true, especially when I rolled it properly. I couldn't be happier with this ball and when Callaway had their buy 2 get 3 sale, I fired in for 6 dozen. I'll be using this ball for some time to come.

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"