2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tommy Armour III WITB ??

honketyhank

merged
Yesterday I noticed that Tommy Armour III was wearing an Adams Golf visor. Then was hit with that feeling of oh really. Would it not be of tremendous marketing value to Tommy Armour Inc (the company) to have TA III (the person) playing TA Inc clubs?

I have heard that TA III (the live person) barely knew TA SS (the Silver Scot, long since dead) and that TA SS didn't give much of a rats patootie about family, especially a grand nephew (like TA III). But still. Were I a marketing executive in TA Inc, I would sure be trying to buy the rights to TA III.

Anybody know the story here?

And does anybody know just what exactly IS in the bag of Tommy Armour III (the live person)?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='honketyhank' date='15 February 2010 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1266244872' post='2252676']
Yesterday I noticed that Tommy Armour III was wearing an Adams Golf visor. Then was hit with that feeling of [i]oh really[/i]. Would it not be of tremendous marketing value to Tommy Armour Inc (the company) to have TA III (the person) playing TA Inc clubs?

I have heard that TA III (the live person) barely knew TA SS (the Silver Scot, long since dead) and that TA SS didn't give much of a rats patootie about family, especially [i][b]a grand nephew[/b][/i] (like TA III). But still. Were I a marketing executive in TA Inc, I would sure be trying to buy the rights to TA III.

And does anybody know just what exactly IS in the bag of Tommy Armour III (the live person)?
[/quote]

Isn't TAIII his grandson?

[quote name='honketyhank' date='15 February 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1266244872' post='2252676']
Yesterday I noticed that Tommy Armour III was wearing an Adams Golf visor. Then was hit with that feeling of [i]oh really[/i]. Would it not be of tremendous marketing value to Tommy Armour Inc (the company) to have TA III (the person) playing TA Inc clubs?

I have heard that TA III (the live person) barely knew TA SS (the Silver Scot, long since dead) and that TA SS didn't give much of a rats patootie about family, especially a grand nephew (like TA III). But still. Were I a marketing executive in TA Inc, I would sure be trying to buy the rights to TA III.

[/quote]

Have you looked at the TA Golf equipment lately? Looks pretty bad. TA III wouldn't be caught dead playing that stuff regardless of what they could afford to pay him. As for marketing value, a name doesn't really translate into sales. You just have to look at Nicklaus and Palmer. There aren't two bigger names in golf (other than Tiger and that has changed) and it didn't make their golf line a success. Realistically, the last good set of irons from TA were the original 845's and that was the late 80's and then nothing.

TA III obviously is an Adams guy now but they don't have him on their site yet.

From the PGA site (www.pga.com/2010/equipment/01/26/adams/index.html): Entering his rookie season on the Champions Tour after a successful PGA Tour career, Armour will wear the Adams Golf hat, carry the tour staff bag and play all Adams Golf woods.

So it looks like he is only using the woods at this point but not sure what else he has.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='JASONR5' date='15 February 2010 - 07:00 AM' timestamp='1266246053' post='2252698']
[quote name='honketyhank' date='15 February 2010 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1266244872' post='2252676']

I have heard that TA III (the live person) barely knew TA SS (the Silver Scot, long since dead) and that TA SS didn't give much of a rats patootie about family, especially [i][b]a grand nephew[/b][/i] (like TA III). But still. Were I a marketing executive in TA Inc, I would sure be trying to buy the rights to TA III.

[/quote]

Isn't TAIII his grandson?
[/quote]

+1
He is the grandson...

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana GT 60x
TM Stealth 2 Plus 15* Diamana GT 70x

TM Stealth 2 Plus 20* Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120x
SM9 Raw Vokey 46F* 50F* Modus3 Tour 120x
SM9 Raw Vokey 56S* 60T* KBS Tour 120
Scotty Cameron 009 340G

Scotty Cameron T-5.5 Proto

Titleist Pro V1x #13

Being with Adams seems convenient, too...as he lives in Dallas, where Adams is based.

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

I saw an interview with TAII once and he stated that he barely remembers his grandfather.

I don't ever remember him playing Tommy Armour clubs, even when they were the hottest irons in golf, circa 1990. I could be wrong though.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='honketyhank' date='15 February 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1266244872' post='2252676']

[/quote]

Tommy Armour III is a grandson and would have been 8 or 9 years old when his grandfather died.

Where did you hear this information? Certainly not recently, as Tommy Armour died in 1968.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

[quote name='redlabel' date='17 February 2010 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1266401244' post='2257235']

[/quote]

Tommy Armour III is a grandson and would have been 8 or 9 years old when his grandfather died.

Where did you hear this information? Certainly not recently, as Tommy Armour died in 1968.
[/quote]

No, not recently. It was just rattling around in my head and popped out when I saw TAIII doing so well. I'm sure I didn't make it up, but I don't know where I read or heard it. And given the way the mind works (especially mine), it is within the realm of possibility that what I heard or read is not exactly the same as what I remembered.

Other than that I am of sound mind.:rolleyes: Pretty much. For an old toot, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken Sports Authority is now the exclusive dealer of TA golf clubs. I don't know if they own them or not but I am pretty sure they are the exclusive dealer. If you go into your local Sports Authority you will see TA gear is no longer what it once was and certainly nothing any tour pro or even a low-mid capper would want to play.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

TA used to make great clubs, remember Freddy used to game the 845's if I am not mistaken. My first good set of irons were the 845's and they were great. At the time they were right up there with anything else on the market. Like som any other brands they just couldn't make it and the brand has been sold a few times and with each sale it has gotten a little but worse IMO. I think that now they basically make entry level clubs for guys just picking up the game. It's too bad that we are loosing some of these classic brands.

there clubs are now total junk.

would have been a nice tie in if they still made quality equiptment [url="http://www.tommyarmourgolf.com/Products/"]http://www.tommyarmourgolf.com/Products/[/url]

Its a real shame to see a great brand being destroyed like this but it happens now and then like callaway-hogan

Cleveland Classic 9 Miyazaki c.kua X
Srixon Z-XT 15 Diamana Blueboard S
Adams Boxer 18 Aldila NVS 85-X
Cleveland 588MB 4-PW X100 DG
Rife IBF tour edition 33.5"
Cleveland 588 TA Forged 50,55,60 S400

TA's used to be good...I had a set someone gave me years ago in HS, to "introduce me" to the game. They were pretty good. My grandpa used to use them, and swore by them.

Someone here mentioned Nicklaus's equipment? Are they still making it? His drivers(from a few years ago), were great, and so were his hybrids. My buddy(who's a low hc'er out here in Vegas), still uses some Nicklaus Driver he bought years ago, a 460cc mdoel. Plays just like one of the big boys does he says. Plus, Nickalus makes excellent golf clothing.

Thiis is just MY opinion: if Jack were more out there today in the game(like Tiger/Phil/Sergio/etc), his stuff could very well sell very good? I think most people figure him to be retired, and more of a course designer/builder, than anything else? Jack has always been a class act. I'm sure I'm in the minority here when I say this: Jack is still the greatest golfer to ever live, bar none.

I also think not having a presence on the tour, equipment wise, possibly hurt him as well?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...