2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

Believe it not that's 5 weeks from zero to here ! Quite a few pretty rare as you say and I have quite a few in customs as we speak awaiting payment and/or delivery. I've collected nothing but new or absolutely mint either so hopefully they should hold their value long term,or even increase...... When new bigger display case arrives Tuesday I'll get some pics of full ball collection...

As of today:

002.jpg

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1324836556' post='3986139']
Fabulous I must not look! 5 weeks that is impressive. any particular fave's? That Gold one in the middle row does it have a black ring around the middle?
[/quote]

I think Silver / Plum and Black / Pink are my faves so far Dave.

Yes: Solid Gold does have a black line around the equator. Why's That ?

Shuv, those Byron's are perfect! Congrats on your new customs!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1324845586' post='3986517']
Shuv, those Byron's are perfect! Congrats on your new customs!
[/quote]

Very kind Tai. With the service and attention to detail i see why your such a Byron fan.........

• 2 weeks later...

The 3 wood Merry-Go-Round continues (Possibly) with another old skool TaylorMade offering ready to be shafted up and go head to head with my current R7 TP Ti to see what makes the bag. This one is a '300 Tour' and the slightly deeper face and slightly bigger head may just be a little more helpful from the tee.Bought from a very helpful member here and just cleaned-up a bit and re paint-filled. Hopefully the shaft thats currently 'lost in the post' wont be too long' arriving :

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

And another putter. Just because ive always liked the shape,it was Christmas,i was bored and on ebay and a brand new one came up for sale :

004-1.jpg

Hi, a few questions: Firstly, what make is that black stand bag you've got? Secondly, why did you decide to get rid of the Razr Hawk driver, what didn't you like about it? And lastly, I also live in East Anglia and was wondering who finishes your clubs etc. as I don't know of anyone decent in the area? Thanks

• 1 year later...

Any updates?!?

Ping G430 LST 10.5°(playing 9°) Tour 65x

Ping G430 Max 15°(playing 14°) UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F5T

Ping G425 Max 20.5°(playing 19°) UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 9F5T

Ping i230 4 iron (Power Spec) LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105x

Ping i230 5&6 iron (Power Spec) PX LS 6.5

Ping i59 7-PW (Power Spec) PX LS 6.5

Ping Glide Forged Pro 50° PX LS 6.5

Mizuno T22 54°&58° MMT Wedge 105TX

Nordberg Eirik Flowneck

The 3 wood Merry-Go-Round continues (Possibly) with another old skool TaylorMade offering ready to be shafted up and go head to head with my current R7 TP Ti to see what makes the bag. This one is a '300 Tour' and the slightly deeper face and slightly bigger head may just be a little more helpful from the tee.Bought from a very helpful member here and just cleaned-up a bit and re paint-filled. Hopefully the shaft thats currently 'lost in the post' wont be too long' arriving :

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

And another putter. Just because ive always liked the shape,it was Christmas,i was bored and on ebay and a brand new one came up for sale :

004-1.jpg

JMO,

I have a R7 15° TP in the bag since 2007, I've owned a 300 tour solid club, but not even close the R7 TP.I Just got my R7 back from Continental Golf another overhaul..

• 2 years later...

Almost 4 years to the day since i last posted..........

I needed a break from Golf, as i really was just "going through the motions" without too much enjoyment. And like anything in life - the longer i didn't play; the less i was inclined to.

Seems like longer that i've been "away, but seeing as i've been hitting balls/ playing again for 6 months or so, i guess i actually had a 3 1/2 year break.

So; im an Engineer by trade and as you'll see am completely anal about my weapons of mass destruction. We have the facilities at work to do pretty much anything i need repair wise (And oh boy - am i a tinkerer.....i really can spend hours tinkering with my clubs achieving nothing other than complete satisfaction !). BUT: i do have a few bits at home inc a vise, a grinder, drill, heat-gun, selection of grips, ferrules, tape, weights, glue, acetone, various polishes. paint for infills etc etc. There isn't much i cant do at home...........

P1030356_zpslmvvollt.jpg

But alot more i can do at work ! Here's a pic of me making a custom sized driver ferrule from Acetate recently:

IMG_3681_zpscijzltj8.jpg

IMG_3700_zpsw1qprrvv.jpg

THE BAG:

Anal about colours matching ? Me.......? lol

P1030332_zpsrpbegjxj.jpg

So: The bats..........

DRIVER:

Ping G10 (9 degree)

I like the old-school classic look with no Black PVD finish in all my woods / hybrids. I don't like the black faces - and prefer to see the loft at address, and i liked a glued hosel. Needless to say i also have an allergic reaction to White finishes and only play a plain black head, I also like to play my driver @ 44.5" - 44.75".

So the current driver is a Ping G10 - 9 degree. Sits really well, goes great but i cant quite like this thing 100%. Ive also got an MP-650 here with the same shaft / length etc and have an R7460 TP Tour head and an R580XD TP head with Continental golf being re-finished as we speak and will be shafting both those with my favourite Grafalloy ProLaunch Red in X-flex (Always Tipped 3/4") when they are back from the USA; for a "Mega driver-Test" to find a winner.

P1030334_zpsdwhqm5rd.jpg

P1030333_zpsfn74zv9q.jpg

P1030354_zps357pf40d.jpg

FAIRWAY:

Bridgestone J40 (16.5 degree)

This is really new to me, and i've literally only hit a few shots with it so far. I like this big head, and i like the fact its not toooooooo deep. Time will tell if this one is here for the long-haul or just a short vacation..............

I often hit a standard 15 degree 3 wood quite low. Great for distance and beating the UK coastal winds. Not so good for actually stopping the ball once its reached its target ! Hence the 4 wood...

As ever - shafted up with my fave Grafalloy ProLaunch red in X-flex (Tipped 1/2") and slightly shorter than 'standard' for a little more control (Fingers crossed !!!)

P1030335_zpss30h5ovd.jpg

P1030336_zpsedmbf0ri.jpg

HYBRIDS:

Ping i15 (17 degree) and Ping i15 (20 degree)

These are fantastic. Dont know how i stumbled across these...and i thought id NEVER get close to the performance of my old Sonartec hybrids - but these are damn near as solid and fly a little higher. And the low flight of the Sonartec MD's WAS sometimes a problem as solid as they were.

So; i have a 17 degree which i use as a tee club on tight / short holes. I can hit this around 225 carry and it a real "go-to" club for me - I guess this goes like an old 2-iron.

The other is a 20 degree and is cut alot shorter and is in the bag to really go a specific distance and replace a 3 iron.

Both shafted up with......you guesses it......and both tipped slightly again.

P1030337_zpsofszezuw.jpg

ALL HEADS:

P1030338_zpsnotuxnmn.jpg

COMPLETE WOODS / HYBRIDS:

P1030339_zpsbnhgcaka.jpg

IRONS:

TaylorMade RSi TP (4-PW)

Again, its winter here in the UK and pretty bleak at times. Dark in the evening, dark before and after work.......so these havn't seen a whole lot of use as yet.

BUT: After a few games i had a loft / lies / gapping session with one of the UK's top clubfitters: http://www.leeporter....com/index.html and we found some interesting stuff, did the required adjustments and i think im gonna really learn to love these. My first couple of rounds after the adjustments were fantastic with these :-) My only gripe so far is that they are a little fiery around the green; Hot-off-the-face i mean.........

I have standard length, standard lies and my favourite PX 6.5 shafts. Lofts were adjusted to fit the gapping / yardage required per-club and not done in specific 4 degree increments; for example.

8 iron:

P1030341_zpsdjxhgtny.jpg

P1030343_zps2oorzczw.jpg

And "added help" 4 iron:

P1030345_zpsxml5w79m.jpg

P1030344_zpsg8h5bpml.jpg

P1030342_zpshyt2tqo8.jpg

And as you can see i always do the paintfill on the numbers / lofts in White, along with the bottom groove in White to help my with alignment. Not much point taking all that effort to put a great swing on it if im aiming 15 yards left hey....... ;)

WEDGES:

Vokey SM5's in 52 and 58 degree.

These were originally the Black finish model, which i stripped and then gave the "accelerated" rust treatment too via heat, salt/ water and hydrogen peroxide ! I just love the old / antique / beat to hell look......

Lofts, lies and lengths are all standard on my wedges..............

P1030346_zpskqfx5aou.jpg

P1030347_zpss9cbotm6.jpg

P1030349_zpseaphwg3j.jpg

PUTTER:

Rife Iconic 3 (35")

Although my eye dominance SHOULD suggest a plumbers neck needs to be in my bag, i've always been happiest with a low offset putter and often one with a Flow-Neck.

I've messed with maybe 6 or 7 (?) putters since i've been back playing. This one is head and shoulders above anything else i tried.

As-well as suiting my eye, as-well as feeling and sounding great - i feel really happy with its performance..............especially close in. Hopefully this ones a keeper :good:

P1030352_zpsribqvy1w.jpg

P1030351_zpsofwm7gkj.jpg

I solely used the Golf Pride Dual Durometer putter grip on all my putters many,many years ago. They then seemed to be discontinued. Now seems you can buy them again. So my favourite grip of all time is back on the flatstick (And in the cupboard with a handful of 'spares')

P1030353_zpsykl95bkb.jpg

OTHER STUFF:

Grips:

I use Golf Pride Tour Velvet .600 ribbed grips on all my clubs, and although i have big hands i stretch them out 2" to thin them down.

The stretching also involves moving material from the fatter top portion of the grip and squeezing that toward my bottom (Right) hand to lesson the taper of the grip also.

I'm really-really bad with this. If it dont feel right once its dried i cut it off and start again. Not at all unusual to take 2 or attempts to re-grip a club. Just one reason i look after my grips so well, and clean them often. I HATE re-gripping my own sticks with a passion !

IMG_3055_zpslnitho4j.jpg

RANDOM:

TaylorMade TP-X golf-ball. This years (2016) is supposed to be softer. I may need to stock-up on the 2015 model im using...............

Only ever use FootJoy SciFlex tour golf gloves.

Wooden White tees for irons, and 'Tour Edition' White Lift tees for woods and hybrids.

P1030355_zpsppz42qel.jpg

Normal ball-marker i've been using of late has been this:

_57_zpsqmhlk4on.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any questions......just shout :-)

And a short video clip from last year........

[url="https://youtu.be/2TanMffxDxQ"]https://youtu.be/2TanMffxDxQ[/url]

Nice setup there mate! How do you find the Pro Launch Red? I have a Blue as a backup shaft but haven't used it in a while due to how much it spins up on me.

Hiya Dan,

I've always liked a 'stout' feeling shaft. I'm neither really low or really high spin with my driver - but i do hate feeling the lag in a shaft. In anything really......

Previously i LOVED the boardy feeling of the UST V2 range, and used them exclusively.

After my break from golf (And not being any younger @ 44) i didn't know if i'd still be ok for X-flex shafts; and didn't know how much i was gonna play again. So; first driver i bought [The G10] came with a ProLaunch Red in stiff; which i knew were supposed to play fairly firm to flex. Shaft felt good - but the feel only being stiff was a little on the loose side. After a few rounds i swapped all woods and hybrids to the same ProLaunch Red but in X flex,

I recently had a fitting (irons primarily) but was swinging my driver at a comfortable 112-114mph. So im glad i did go 'X'.

And it feels great. Its promoted at fairly low launch and spin, but i have no problems elevating it, or keeping it airborne. And it doesn't feel overly stiff to me - even after being warned this shaft can play stout to flex. So all good :-)

I'm an Ex-Pro, so seeing your WITB was interesting to and i'll be following keenly :good:

Nice setup there mate! How do you find the Pro Launch Red? I have a Blue as a backup shaft but haven't used it in a while due to how much it spins up on me.

Hiya Dan,

I've always liked a 'stout' feeling shaft. I'm neither really low or really high spin with my driver - but i do hate feeling the lag in a shaft. In anything really......

Previously i LOVED the boardy feeling of the UST V2 range, and used them exclusively.

After my break from golf (And not being any younger @ 44) i didn't know if i'd still be ok for X-flex shafts; and didn't know how much i was gonna play again. So; first driver i bought [The G10] came with a ProLaunch Red in stiff; which i knew were supposed to play fairly firm to flex. Shaft felt good - but the feel only being stiff was a little on the loose side. After a few rounds i swapped all woods and hybrids to the same ProLaunch Red but in X flex,

I recently had a fitting (irons primarily) but was swinging my driver at a comfortable 112-114mph. So im glad i did go 'X'.

And it feels great. Its promoted at fairly low launch and spin, but i have no problems elevating it, or keeping it airborne. And it doesn't feel overly stiff to me - even after being warned this shaft can play stout to flex. So all good :-)

I'm an Ex-Pro, so seeing your WITB was interesting to and i'll be following keenly :good:

I gamed the Pro Launch Blue for a while back in 2007/2009 after that I went to the V2 and loved it, was in the bag from 2009 upto 2015 in various model drivers. 913 d3 7.5 with X-Flex V2 76g, should have seen the Titleist reps face when I walked up and said, do you have this club like this... he laughed handed it too me and 5mins later said "Iv never had a guy know exactly what he needs like that" I then divulged that I had fit close to 250 people when I was working at American Golf in the UK and had spent my fair share of time hitting different shafts and lofts. Then ordered the Cleveland Custom XL 9* with X flex V2 76g, played that in a fairway wood too at the time, thing went like a missile of the tee, but hopeless off the deck. Eventually I hit the AD-DI in a Ping and a SLDR and the shaft just felt great, flighted lower, didn't get the ball spinning up as much either. Ended up ordering them for my current make up. I still have to remind my self from time to time that I hit more fairways with the AD-DI and NOT to order 2 V2s for the Callaways hahaha.

Thanks for nice comment 'The Next Tiger'.

Im sure you noticed; visuals are similiar. Infact specs on the two are EXACTLY the same apart from the different neck shapes.

One being a 'Rincoln flow-neck' with approx 5 o'clock toe hang. The other being a plumbers neck with approx 4 o'clock toe-hang.

The idea being i have different options with different putters depending on how my stroke is / how well im releasing the head,and hence how much toe-flow feels better at that time.

Thats the theory anyway.........

GREAT theory and one that I've used for years!!

What is that cliche about great minds, hahaha :)

Beautiful!!

Happy New Year Bro the Very Best to Ya this upcoming season :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

And a short video clip from last year........

A Pro's Pro!!!

I Love it!!

Very Well Played Bro :)

Continued Success!!

Cheers,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Nice setup! What kind of lathe is that? I'm a machinist by trade but stepped away from it for the time being. Journeyman pay isn't what it used to be.

Thanks.

Well: im NOT a machinist by trade and i suspect it took me a lot longer for me to make the ferrule than you would have done !

I'm normally into Engineering on a much larger scale. Like 12-15 ton 'lumps' normally......

Anyway, we have a couple of Colchesters at work, a Beavermill and a few others. But i made it on this:

IMG_3903_zpsbkbhmsco.jpg

Could you please tell me a bit more on how to make your wedges looked beat up as hell?

After stripping off the Black on the SM5's (Wire wool and elbow grease !)...... i gave them the 'accelerated rust program.

This consists of "dousing" in salt and then spraying on water every now and again to really get the rust going. Wait until dry and repeat.

Any small spots when the rust didnt 'take'......i then warmed slightly with a hot air gun and used a 6% Hydrogen Peroxide mix to chemically rust.

Once happy - just wash thoroughly, dry - and then soak the heads in a light oil for a few days, to neutralise the acids and seal in the rust and stop further corrosion.

Heres a pic in the 'accelerated rust' salt bath !

IMG_3533_zpsvdmnuy5t.jpg

Shuv

Always meant to ask but how did you find out you liked your grips like that? Must take you ages to get them right

Hiya James,

Do you know - i'm not sure really !

I remember changing to ribbed grips, and at some stage thinking i would like to try thinner grips. ****Although im a big guy with mammothly strong hands, i do have an Olazabal (Anti hook ?) "weakest grip in history" type affair going on to some degree.......

So, i then remember stretching them slightly and over a period of time finding out that on a .580 shaft a .600 grip stretched out 2" gives me the right sort of thickness. Thats if i also push all the material from the top; toward the bottom to also try to make the grip slightly less tapered and thinner in the left (Weaker) hand....which of course also means its fatter in my right (Stronger) hand.

Its basically me getting my grips to the correct thickness, making the grips feel more the same size size in each hand and less tapered - and another method of trying to balance out power between left and right hands.

All this means i can generally release as hard as i want without fear of hooking. Well: hooking too much ! :rolleyes:

And yes - gripping is a nightmare for me. Im not kidding when i say it can take 10 times longer than normal per club. When a "normal" person has taped the shaft and slid the grip on; i have to wait until the tape is beyond tacky / nearly gone off - and then stretch the grip out, checking thicknesses at a couple of points along its length, and of course "fight" the grip with all this stretching while still making sure the rib is still running square up the back.

A set of 9 irons would probably take me 13 grips and at least 8 hours im guessing. Including time waiting for solvent to evaporate and tape to be tacky enough to hold the grip in position once stretched out.

"A pain in the a**" doesn't even come close. Hence i'm anal about looking after / cleaning grips and making them last as long as possible.

Cheers.

You have a fit with my current experiment of putting counterbalance weights under my grips which involves changing the grips after each range sess as I try different combos!!!

Pain in the butt, time consuming, confusing and expensive ?

Sounds right up my street.............. :lol:

You trying to reduce swing-weight, change feel, or....?

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8