2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

LIVE CHAT WITH STEVE FLESCH! Wednesday, Jan 4, 4PM ET!

HipCheck

what is in your bag? Do you use the Srixon Z-star? and if you do, what do think is it best feature? I am a southpaw junior golfer and I also wondering if you have any advice for a junior to bounce back after a bogey or worse?

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1325710408' post='4028421']
what is in your bag? Do you use the Srixon Z-star? and if you do, what do think is it best feature? I am a southpaw junior golfer and I also wondering if you have any advice for a junior to bounce back after a bogey or worse?
[/quote]

1. Driver- TM R11 w/ graphite design DJ7
3w TM Tour Burner 3w w/ GD DI 8
Rescue-adams a7 19* rescue
Irons-4-pw cleveland tour concept CG 7's-- DG XP shafts
Wedges- 52-56-60 CG16 S400
Putter- Belly Corza

2. i use the Srixon Star XV because i like the firmer feel and longer distance off the driver.

3. don't feel like you have to birdie the very next hole....play each hole like its the very first hole of the tournament!

Hi Steve thanks for answering questions!

What advice would you give a struggling college player who has not fufilled his potential. Practice facilities are not ideal and I feel as though I am the only player on the team who wants to get better. It is a tough situation for me as I love to practice. I guess my question is how can i maximize the practice time I do have in order to really get better.

Thanks again and good luck this year,

Connor

8.5* M1 440 Diamana Whiteboard 73x
15* Titleist 910 Fd Diamana 83x
20* Srixon U45 TI X100
4-PW Srixon z945/745 combo TI X100
Cleveland RTX-3 Raw 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Golo 5

[quote name='CHEFMIZ' timestamp='1325281617' post='4006651']
First off Steve, thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions.

I would like your opinion as to where you feel the most dramatic improvements have come from during your career- the metal/composite woods, the Pro V1 era and later balls, or the finite optimization that is now available? Which of these has benefited your game the most? And finally, which ones made the game more "fun" for you?

Thanks,
Nick
[/quote]

The biggest difference in equipment has been the ball. You cannot believe the difference in performance from a wound ball to a solid core ball. The old wound ball was much easier to curve whereas the solid core ball is likely to fly straight.

DRIVERS have made the game more fun! we all like to bomb it!

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1325281837' post='4006667']
Sincere thanks for answering questions for us Steve, and nothing but success to you in the coming season.

I was wondering if you might share the best piece of advice regarding golf that you ever received and who gave it to you?

Thanks again and in advance,
Jim Wilson
[/quote]

The best piece of advice I've ever been given is to get on the course and play! its great to get on the range to loosen up and get your fundamentals down but its most important to get on the course and play as many holes as you can. A golf professional from Louisville Ky named Gene Fawbush shared that information with me many moons ago!

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Steve,

Enough about golf, lets talk Wildcat basketball, being from Burlington Kentucky die hard cats fan and I used to work at your home course at Triple Crown. How far do you see the CATS going this year in the tournament? Do you think they are mature enough and deep enough to make another run at the National Title? Good luck in 2012 and go CATS.

Brandon Williams [/size][/color]

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1325282156' post='4006689']
Hi Steve! I really liked watching your Playing Lessons with the Pros episode. Being a professional educator, I was really impressed with your teaching style. It is something that stood out to me ever since I first saw it. Is teaching something you ever considered pursuing before golf?
[/quote]

No because i dont think i'm very good at it ;)

I am simply trying to help people learn how to play better through strategy. I feel like i am far more effective at sharing ways to dissect the course through strategy than teach the swing, its fundamentals and all the intricacies that go with it

[quote name='mikeoxlongball' timestamp='1325291115' post='4007219']
How come your not playing well anymore Steve?
[/quote]

I'd be awfully easy to ignore this question all together, however, I'm not here to shrug anything off!

Plain and simple, my iron game hasnt been as great in the last five years of my career as it was in the first seven. Gotta make lots of birdies to compete out there and I havent been hitting it close enough to give myself good chances, regardless of the putter im using!

PS...thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about the poor play over the off season. haha. :rolleyes:

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1325300146' post='4007859']
Steve,

I want to offer my sincere thanks for coming here and answering some of our questions.

My question pertains to tournament golf; I want to know how I can maximize my hot streaks when I'm playing well in a tournament, as well as how to mentally "allow" myself to "believe" I can continue making birdies. Specifically, in USGA qualifiers, I tend to not maximize my good days, and I think a lot of it has to do with being uncomfortable going low.

I want to know how you deal with the fact that a tournament round means more than a regular round. How do you get comfortable? I'm sure a lot of it comes with experience, but what else is there?

Again, thank you for any advice you can give me on how to better "turn it on" for tournament play.

Sincerely,

Marcus Deckert
[/quote]

Very simple response here...you cant put any more(or less) importance on any single shot based on how your round is going. Every shot matters just the same--a tap in par on the first hole of a tournament or a drive on the 72nd hole of a tournament you're leading by a shot. its just ONE shot you've hit a million times. trust yourself then execute.

[quote name='Team Ping' timestamp='1325303437' post='4008123']
Out of all of the experiances on tour, what was the hardest adjustment you had to make to play consistent golf?

Thanks for this Q & A session!
Blake
[/quote]

easily it has nothing to do with the golf....it has everything to do with the traveling aspects and making sure you dont wear yourself out by playing too many weeks in a row

Steve - Welcome to GolfWRX. Nice to have you here.

A few questions:

1. What's your favorite tour stops? Any particular courses or areas that you look forward to playing each year?
2. Do you have any rituals or superstitions that you follow each tournament or each round?
3. Do you have a favorite club? Which one and why?
4. Often times, you see players putting new clubs into their bags before or shortly after their release. Can you help us understand the considerations you take when switching to a new putter, ball, irons or woods? How much does contracts, incentives or manufacturer pressures play into that decision?

[quote name='WhiteBettinardi' timestamp='1325342516' post='4009269']
Steve,

First off, why do you hit the ball from the wrong side?

Secondly, who is the most fun to play a round of 18 with on the PGA tour (I've always wondered)?

Thanks for doing this,
Mike
[/quote]

My favorite person to play a round of golf with is any of my group of cronies out there....Goydos, Sutherland, Frazier, Ogilvie, Kent Jones, Skip Kendall, Lumpy, Petterson, etc. We get to laughing so hard during practice rounds its hard to believe!

[quote name='nikegolfer1983' timestamp='1325345916' post='4009457']
Steve,

Enough about golf, lets talk Wildcat basketball, being from Burlington Kentucky die hard cats fan and I used to work at your home course at Triple Crown. How far do you see the CATS going this year in the tournament? Do you think they are mature enough and deep enough to make another run at the National Title? Good luck in 2012 and go CATS.

Brandon Williams
[/quote]

Brandon-- love watching cats hoops and TCCC is a great track to play and practice at!

They're a very talented team that i think will get to the final four. my only concern is our point guard Teague. He can fly off the handle too quickly and cause a bunch of turn overs

It is probably fair to say you are one of the guys who tinkers a lot with his equipment. Do you do it to gain a competive edge, because it's fun, or because you are searching?

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

[quote name='Mayor2013' timestamp='1325349868' post='4009679']
Hey Steve,
I like the side ya play on, I'm a lefty too. My question for you is what is your favorite Tour stop you make every year? Hope that you have a solid 2012 year!

Sincerely,
Dan Raicevich
[/quote]

Riviera for the LA Northern Trust Open. Great spot. Great course, very cool town. Hope to see you guys out there in the Spring!

Steve,

I have followed your career for a while now, and the reason for that is I Marshalled at a NIKE TOUR event in Alabama (Cherokee Ridge CC) and you came to the Par 3 and handed me a ball. It was a Strata marked with a FISH (symbol of Christianity) and I knew then you were not afraid to express your faith. I appreciated that and I still do. I just wanted to tell you that touched me to know that an athlete was not afraid for his peers and fans to know he was a man of faith. THANK YOU... And that was 20 years ago...

Steve,
Thank you for taking my questions/comments. Best of luck this year on Tour as I'm always rooting for you and following you online here in Toledo where I work as a Golf Professional at Inverness Club, with someone you might know as in David Graf.

P.S.
I have one of your old Titleist staff bags from when you first came on tour. I won it at a charity function at Turfway Race track a few years back. Best of luck this season
[quote name='Southpaw444' timestamp='1325712374' post='4028685']
[quote name='nikegolfer1983' timestamp='1325345916' post='4009457']
Steve,

Brandon Williams
[/quote]

Brandon-- love watching cats hoops and TCCC is a great track to play and practice at!

They're a very talented team that i think will get to the final four. my only concern is our point guard Teague. He can fly off the handle too quickly and cause a bunch of turn overs
[/quote]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1325711156' post='4028503']
Hi Steve! Welcome to GolfWRX and thanks for your time.

I'm 56 years old, a 10 HI and trying to get to single digits. I have a good short game...as I work on it incessantly. Do you have any suggestions to take my game to the next level?

Thank you and good luck in 2012! :-)

cheers --Sean
[/quote]

Sean-- love hearing your passion for the game.

Short game is where its at, dont stop practicing there for sure. Have you ever been professionally fit for your equipment? I'd recommend finding a good, certified fitter in your area to do a full analysis of your clubs and let them make some recommendations for you. usually they can save you a few shots and make your rounds more enjoyable. I wear out my local boys tinkering with my stuff for sure. check out the Golf Digest Top 100 fitters list to find a good spot to start

[quote name='r2edline' timestamp='1325711168' post='4028509']
Hi Steve - curious as to your workout regiment, hearing a lot about high-intensity training for golf these days. What style of training do you use? and how many days a week? Cheers and best of luck in the future.
[/quote]

I hear working out really helps a lot too. unfortunately i despise working out too, haha!

[quote name='ram01002' timestamp='1325711201' post='4028517']
Best of luck next year! What is the one thing you wished you would have known (golf related) 15 years ago that you know now?
[/quote]

Good thought provoking question....wow........

i SHOULD stick with one set of weapons...dont constantly keep searching for the right clubs. at some point, you have to be able to know if its the Indian or the arrow. with new bats all the time, you wont know what your tendencies are as often.