What are YOU doing to improve your putting?

danattherock

All I read is equipment threads...
So, we talk about putters, which grip, etc.. all day long.crazy.gif

Are any of you putter collectors actually working on improving your putting?

I hardly ever see anyone talk about what they are doing to work on their technique, aim, stance, stroke, grip, etc..

Getting ready to go through a few older books myself. Got "The Putting Prescription" out the other day and reminded myself of what a great book that is. Just bought the GOLF:Best putting instruction... book from Amazon. Looks like a very cool book with tons of info and very detailed chapter from David Edel on proper putter selection. Got Dave Pelz's Putting Bible off the book shelf earlier tonight. Found my copy of "Instinct Putting" (looking at hole, not ball). It helped me a ton a few years back. Time to work with that some more. Saw Phil's "Secrets of the Short Game" dvd again last week. Saw Dave Stockton's "Putt to Win" dvd the other day. He has a new dvd coming out later this month I am told, based on his book "Unconscious Putting" if I recall. Got a 10 second blurb on the Golf Channel about it the other day.

Thinking about another lesson or SAM eval myself. Ordered a Big Moss 15'x2' indoor putting green recently. Got it upstairs in the hallway. Nice to be able to practice in the house at times. Very smoooooth rolling stuff Big Moss has. I was very impressed. Myself as of late, working on preshot routine, aiming the putter more precisely, and ensuring I am using a flat left wrist at impact.

Bobby Clampett's book "The Impact Zone" drove home the importance of this and it has helped my putting game tremendously. The wristy action of the past made precise distance control impossible. Can't tell you how much a flat left wrist helped my putting stroke.

A great tip from David Orr, "squish the bug" or tapping the putter lightly a few times before the take away helped smooth my take away. BIG time. Will link the Geoff Mangum article explaining it at the bottom of this rant. ha ha... By the way, tons of free putting articles and tips from this genius on his website below. If you really want some putting info to sink your teeth into, download his e-book "Optimal Putting". Seems it was about $10. Deep info. Still working through it myself. Also, check out Geoff Mangum's many Youtube videos.

Geoff and Steve Elkington teamed up to make "The Reality of Putting" video. Like the e-book, you pay via Paypal, credit card, etc.. and you have it downloaded instantly. Very high quality video with some good info. No fluff here. $35 spent that will improve your putting stroke much more than 1/3 of a Scotty Cameron head cover. *#&@

http://www.therealityofputting.com/

"Squish the bug" (tap the ground) tip...

http://puttingzone.c...ips/bounce.html

This is getting me fired up to learn more and get better.

And I come here and see another Iomic grip thread and SC head cover thread. russian_roulette.gif

What are you doing to improve your putting?

-Dan

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on my routine. I'm practising 100s of 5-6 footers seeing those drop time after time is building up a great library to call upon when I'm playing. Mechanically just keeping my grip consistent and automatic and a feeling I have of the right elbow connection keeps me putting straight.

I use a Seemore so my alignment gets worked on every time I practice.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

Over the winter I've been working on getting the putter grip running along the lifeline of my left hand (rather than the across the base of the fingers) and getting more of the right palm on the grip to keep the clubhead square (I'm right-handed). Also concentrating on keeping a shallow inside-square-inside path by focusing on keeping the arms and shoulders triangle solid by rocking the shoulders only. Haven't been on the course to see if any of this has helped, but I'm pretty hopeful that I will raise the consistency level.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I do have a $700 SC putter. I also, however, work on putting perpetually. My living room at home (where the carpet stimps about 8) ... my office (stimps around 10 - nothing like having the phone on speaker for an hour long boring conference call, and putting the entire time) ... and I even practice in my kitchen ... on a tile floor (stimps about ... well, an ice rink). Long putts, short putts.

About 50% of every scorecard is with one club ... the putter.

Putting is everything.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Buy a new putter... Duh
And when that one doesnt work ill buy a different one!!! LOL!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Back in my early days at BSG I followed a practice routine of a guy named "Tiberon." I wish I still had it somewhere on my computer, and not sure who the guy was exactly but the way he talked and everyone listened... I think he was a pretty good player. I remember there being a ladder where you needed to make 9 putts in a row, 3 from each distance. I also remember a lag putting drill where you needed I believe 10 putts inside 3 feet from 20-40-60 feet but the catch was they had to be 3 feet or less past the hole. If you were short you started over, outside 3 feet...start over. There was more but those were the drills I did.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Wow, If I read all that I would be really confused.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I concider myself a good putter, im using a long neck #6 odyssey at the moment which cost £20 ($35)
I have and have owned many putters because i like to experriment, my point being, a good putters can putt with anything.

I think i've read almost every putting book going the good and the bad.
My feeling is if you want to improve at anything you have to "study" up on the subject.

Improving at anything takes work.

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1326548503' post='4082769']Buy a new putter... Duh
And when that one doesnt work ill buy a different one!!! LOL!
[/quote]

lol, I can relate!!!

[size="2"]A lot of carpet practice this winter.
Taking it back slower and holding the finish. [/size]
I was happy with my line, just working on being smooth thru the entire stroke.

Well, like most people I tried this and that to putt better, but the reality was that my putting yips were the real cause. Tried to beat the yips and regardless of the tact tried (closed eyes, looking at the hole, putting left handed, all sorts of stances, all sorts of putter heads, grips, calming methods, positive reinforcement, lots of practice, read books, need I go on...) under pressure the yip would rear its ugly head. On a good day I would have 30 putts, sometimes 29, but mostly 32-36 putts a round.

Queue up the band..., I WENT TO THE BELLY PUTTER!!!!

Made my own (it's legal) out of a Ping Redwood Anser and after a couple of weeks of practice, I put it in play. Nearly every round is 30 putts or less and with many rounds of 27 or 28 putts and only a few over 30 (and the number of feet of putts made is up too). Will I ever have a bad putting round, sure, but I am a better putter now than I was 6 months ago. Maybe not a better putter as I always felt I was a better putter, just that I had an impediment. I lost the impediment and am now getting close to my putting potential. Forget all the BS about whether it's legal or should be banned, the fact is my putting is better and it's not a flash in the pan. So that is what I did to improve my putting.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Naylor09' timestamp='1326559034' post='4083493']
Can't Miss Putting Aid.... best training aid I have ever used
[/quote]

Tell me more. That idea is just crazy enough to actually work.

How does it feel?

How has it improved your stroke?

Any US sources to buy it less expensively?

-Dan

Being that I have the attention of folks that actually work on improving their putting, what are your favorite putting books?

I have...

Geoff Mangum's "Optimal Putting" (e-book)

Stan Utley "Art of Putting"

Dave Pelz "Putting Bible"

Erik Alpenfels and Bob Christina "Instinct Putting" (looking at hole, not ball method)

Dr. Craig Farnsworth "The Putting Prescription"

"The Best Putting Instruction Book Ever" by GOLF magazine (just released)

The original Dave Pelz Putting book was one of those Aha!! moments. Read it in 1994 (balata was still "it") when I was in the worst putting funk of my life (40 or more PPR). Not only did he show me how to putt and how to practice putting, but he showed me that my expectations of the ball going in the hole was way over the top. Made me realize that even a perfectly stroked and aimed putt had a good chance of missing from inside 12 feet just because of the green quality and the ball quality. Gave me that glimmer of hope and with some good practice and better mindset, I regained my putting form. Unfortunately, the years of bad thoughts and bad putting scared me and led to the yips a few years later. Still wish I had that book as it was smaller than the "Bible" but I gave it to someone who needed it more than I did at the time.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

In the past, when I struggled with putting, I would switch putters and not really try to understand what was happening. I have taken lessons in the past which helped some and read many of the books that were discussed in this thread.

After struggling with putting for the last few months I decided to try to get even more professional help. I have been reading Bruce Rearicks blog and folling his posts on other forums and like what he was saying. He has always been very open with information about putting and I felt like I was getting a better understanding of the putting and not just being taught a particular way to put. When I saw his offer on his blog, I knew I had to take him up on it.

Here is the blog post:
[url="http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/limited-offering-to-join-burnt-edges.html"]Burnt Edges Consulting[/url]

Been working with him for a couple of weeks now and we have worked through vision, posture, and the source of motion for the stroke. We are now getting into putter design theory. Can't report on improvement yet.

Just for the record, I am not affiliated with Bruce in any way other than being one of his students.

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1326560407' post='4083617']
[quote name='Naylor09' timestamp='1326559034' post='4083493']
Can't Miss Putting Aid.... best training aid I have ever used
[/quote]

Tell me more. That idea is just crazy enough to actually work.

How does it feel?

How has it improved your stroke?

Any US sources to buy it less expensively?

-Dan
[/quote]
Let me break it down how it works for me
The Can’t Miss is the best putting training aid I’ve ever used. I found using it to be very helpful. It uses gyroscopes to change where the "pendulum point" for your putting stroke. It feels lie you have no control of your putting stoke (in a good way). It is almost impossible to take the putter off track with this aid. First round I used it. I had 24 putts, at that time I was averaging 30.2 putts per round so I was ecstatic, Ever since then i have been around 25-28 putts per round. I have never had such a pure roll like what this aid has given me, I've had many people try it and they all love it.

My stroke is now consitant, I hit the ball in the same spot every time and get "tour" like roll.... If that makes any sense :man_in_love:

I found a coupon where the aid was half off. Still had to order from the company which is in England I believe. Only reason why I gave it a shot was because it was $150 here is the coupon you can check to see if it still valid

Ok, there is no longer any excuse to not try TCM. Not only is there a 30 day money back guarantee, but one of the gentlemen who runs the company just emailed me with a coupon that will get you HALF OFF TCM.

At checkout, enter coupon code: Peanut Gallery

Many thanks to the guys at TCM for this generous offer.

***This offer is limited to the first 50 people who enter it***

Let me know if this helps

Kevin

I found a coupon where the aid was half off. Still had to order from the company which is in England I believe. Only reason why I gave it a shot was because it was $150 here is the coupon you can check to see if it still valid

Thanks Kevindrinks.gif

I was just rushing over here to tell about the 1/2 off coupon code. Found it while reading a review on my golf spy site.

Just ordered one for $150. Can't wait to give it a try.

Been reading reviews and watching Youtube videos since we spoke earlier.

This thing looks awesome.

First putting training aid I have bought since picking the game up 20 years ago.

Looks like a winner.

http://www.thecantmiss.com/

enter coupon code Peanut Gallery for 1/2 price special. Still in effect till 50 people use it. Was extended in Aug 2011, so may not be many left.

post-1164-0-99012600-1319597998_thumb.jpg

TCM_Studio_2.jpg

-Dan

Thanks Kevindrinks.gif

I was just rushing over here to tell about the 1/2 off coupon code. Found it while reading a review on my golf spy site.

Just ordered one for $150. Can't wait to give it a try.

Been reading reviews and watching Youtube videos since we spoke earlier.

This thing looks awesome.

First putting training aid I have bought since picking the game up 20 years ago.

Looks like a winner.

http://www.thecantmiss.com/

enter coupon code Peanut Gallery for 1/2 price special. Still in effect till 50 people use it. Was extended in Aug 2011, so may not be many left.

post-1164-0-99012600-1319597998_thumb.jpg

TCM_Studio_2.jpg

-Dan

I hope you love it as much as I do. Keep me updated with how you like it

[quote name='nosil' timestamp='1326563850' post='4083889']
In the past, when I struggled with putting, I would switch putters and not really try to understand what was happening. I have taken lessons in the past which helped some and read many of the books that were discussed in this thread.

After struggling with putting for the last few months I decided to try to get even more professional help. I have been reading Bruce Rearicks blog and folling his posts on other forums and like what he was saying. He has always been very open with information about putting and I felt like I was getting a better understanding of the putting and not just being taught a particular way to put. When I saw his offer on his blog, I knew I had to take him up on it.

Here is the blog post:
[url="http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/limited-offering-to-join-burnt-edges.html"]Burnt Edges Consulting[/url]

Been working with him for a couple of weeks now and we have worked through vision, posture, and the source of motion for the stroke. We are now getting into putter design theory. Can't report on improvement yet.

Just for the record, I am not affiliated with Bruce in any way other than being one of his students.
[/quote]

I worked with Bruce last season and am continuing to do so this season as well. Its amazing how much he has helped my putting.