2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

GolfWRX Exclusive: TaylorMade ATV wedge NEW finish

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dlefty' timestamp='1327683033' post='4162209']
Will definitely be more appealing this way on the racks at retailers.......BUT, I prefer the original finish. I got to see the original finish in person, and liked it a lot. They will still be good, as the pictures look as if the face has the same finish as the XFT's which is still very nice.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. They will look good on the racks and in pictures but most golfers prefer a raw/unfinished look, or something that most resembles it when it comes to wedges.....At the very least they should have an option of different finishes available. No clue why TM would limit themseleves to just one finish??

[quote name='carlt9817' timestamp='1327684798' post='4162375']
Will definitely be more appealing this way on the racks at retailers.......BUT, I prefer the original finish. I got to see the original finish in person, and liked it a lot. They will still be good, as the pictures look as if the face has the same finish as the XFT's which is still very nice.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. [b]They will look good on the racks and in pictures but most golfers prefer a raw/unfinished look,[/b] or something that most resembles it when it comes to wedges.....At the very least they should have an option of different finishes available. No clue why TM would limit themseleves to just one finish??
[/quote]

That's actually very untrue. The VAST majority of wedges that are sold on the market are chrome and chrome outsells all finishes when there are options. I would imagine TaylorMade is going to offer both the satin and the chrome finish...but the fact of the matter is chrome is more durable and it's more shiny on the shelves so the average Joe tends to gravitate towards that finish over any other.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1327709227' post='4164313']
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. [b]They will look good on the racks and in pictures but most golfers prefer a raw/unfinished look,[/b] or something that most resembles it when it comes to wedges.....At the very least they should have an option of different finishes available. No clue why TM would limit themseleves to just one finish??
[/quote]

That's actually very untrue. The VAST majority of wedges that are sold on the market are chrome and chrome outsells all finishes when there are options. I would imagine TaylorMade is going to offer both the satin and the chrome finish...but the fact of the matter is chrome is more durable and it's more shiny on the shelves so the average Joe tends to gravitate towards that finish over any other.
[/quote]
Initial plan is to sell the Chrome version only (I confrimed that with a high level exec this week). I told them that they could send me the original finish earlier, it didn't matter to me. I am more about playing it than looking at the back of it in my bag.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327829925' post='4171513']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1327709227' post='4164313']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Initial plan is to sell the Chrome version only (I confrimed that with a high level exec this week). I told them that they could send me the original finish earlier, it didn't matter to me. [size="5"][b]I am more about playing it than looking at the back of it in my bag.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. :yes:

Like I said earlier, I really liked the original finish, both in early pictures that I saw, as well as when I had the chance to see in person a few weeks back. But I understand why decisions like this get made, and it will be fine this way too, as it appears the face is more like the current retail XFT finish, leaving the bright chrome to the back side only, glad the bright chrome doesn't appear to be on the face as well.

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1327681427' post='4162033']
Has anyone tried this wedge yet?
[/quote]

I tried it a demo day, also. To me, this wedge sells itself when you hit it. Definitely has a heavier heft and feels more solid. I also liked the longer grip with the markings on it for different grip-down lengths. It's easy to hit all types of shots with the sole design.

I watched several "better" players put this wedge through it's paces at the short game area. They were impressed, as well, and I saw one guy order 3 lofts and another guy order 2 lofts in the span of 5 minutes.

I heard that the new finish will push back deliveries until May 1. I would gladly get mine with the original finish, as I'm not a fan of chrome finishes on a sunny day! I always preferred the "raw" Mizunos, Vokeys and Clevelands over the chrome ones - my $.02!

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327829925' post='4171513']
[b]Initial plan is to sell the Chrome version only[/b] (I confrimed that with a high level exec this week). I told them that they could send me the original finish earlier, it didn't matter to me. I am more about playing it than looking at the back of it in my bag.
[/quote]

I hope this isn't the case. There are a LOT of people that would prefer the duller satin finish, myself included.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1327868870' post='4173931']
What's with the stripes. Why can't TM make good looking clubs?
[/quote]
Again, another guy looking at the wrong side of the club. It looks great if you look at it from the address position. The last I looked that was the only thing that counts unless you count "looks on the club rack at the clubhouse" but I have never seen that spot win anything!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I like the birds-eye view, but the graphics are horrible. It's like something Dodge did

WITB:
DRIVER: Taylormade SIM 9* | Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 
FWY: Taylormade Tour Issue SIM MAX ROCKET 14* FWY | MRC KAI'LI 70
HYBRID: Titleist 816H2 19* | MRC Tensei Pro White 90
Titleist 718 T-MB #3 | Nippon Modus3 105
IRONS: Titleist Forged 620 CB 4-7| DG TI S400, Titleist Forged 716 MB 8-9| DG TI S400
WEDGES: Titleist Vokey BS 46-F, WW Raw 50-S (51*), 56-V (57*) | DG TI S400
PUTTER: (alternating) SCM Cameron 009 GSS 350 33.75" | Nike Tour Issue Method 006 @ 33.75" | CT Cameron 009-Beached Carbon black @ 33.75" 
BALL: Titleist PRO V1

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327870036' post='4174021']
[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1327868870' post='4173931']
What's with the stripes. Why can't TM make good looking clubs?
[/quote]
Again, another guy looking at the wrong side of the club. It looks great if you look at it from the address position. The last I looked that was the only thing that counts unless you count "looks on the club rack at the clubhouse" but I have never seen that spot win anything!
[/quote]
I totally agree. I could care less what the back looks like. It looks good at address.
The back of the club does not hit the ball.
Back in my old days, everybody said the PING Iron was Butt Ugly. Till they hit it.
The PING EYE 2 SW is ugly but it`s one of the best if not the best SW out of the Bunkers ever.
Hmmmmmm???? And the rest is history.
To each his own. Just my little $.02

Bright chrome and stripes, lol ....TM take a look at a Vokey wedge....PLEASE
Ok, now try again.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1327846846' post='4172267']
[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1327681427' post='4162033']
Has anyone tried this wedge yet?
[/quote]

I tried it a demo day, also. To me, this wedge sells itself when you hit it. Definitely has a heavier heft and feels more solid. I also liked the longer grip with the markings on it for different grip-down lengths. It's easy to hit all types of shots with the sole design.

I watched several "better" players put this wedge through it's paces at the short game area. They were impressed, as well, and I saw one guy order 3 lofts and another guy order 2 lofts in the span of 5 minutes.

I heard that the new finish will push back deliveries until May 1. I would gladly get mine with the original finish, as I'm not a fan of chrome finishes on a sunny day! I always preferred the "raw" Mizunos, Vokeys and Clevelands over the chrome ones - my $.02!
[/quote]

i hit this for about 30 minutes at my club this weekend. the 60* is the real deal. the sole is very functional. you'd think that you couldn't get through a tight lie with that big a sole, but not so - it works great. great grinds as far as my course conditions are concerned. i didn't try any other lofts, i was so enamored with the 60*.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1327939505' post='4178241']
Did anyone hit this wedge at last weeks demo day? If so, how did it perform?
[/quote]

my friend did and he was "amazed" to say the least

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Ventus Blue TR 6TX

TSr3 15* w/Ventus Blue TR 7X
TSr3 18* w/Ventus Blue TR 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/KBS C-Taper X

W/S Forged 50* w/DG TI S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG TI S400

Spider S 
TP5X 24'

[quote name='ksavy17' timestamp='1327947179' post='4178963']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1327939505' post='4178241']
Did anyone hit this wedge at last weeks demo day? If so, how did it perform?
[/quote]

my friend did and he was "amazed" to say the least
[/quote]

When it comes to clubs TM is at the pinnacle, no doubt about it.

I am shocked at how many "GUYS" would rule out a wedge by a picture!!!! Seriously if it performs play it!! I don't care what it looks like just as long as it gets the ball in the hole!!!

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

[quote name='granata10' timestamp='1327953022' post='4179515']
I am shocked at how many "GUYS" would rule out a wedge by a picture!!!! Seriously if it performs play it!! I don't care what it looks like just as long as it gets the ball in the hole!!!
[/quote]
Now there you are, like myself, using common sense! Obviously, to many people, it is all about the picture, not about the play.
I think there is a higher percentage of people, here, that want pretty looking blades (that will do nothing to improve their game) in their bag than there is with tour players on all of the major tours of the world! But then there is a higher % of 300 yard drivers of the ball here than there is on tour also.

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327972825' post='4181585']
[/quote]
Now there you are, like myself, using common sense! Obviously, to many people, it is all about the picture, not about the play.
I think there is a higher percentage of people, here, that want pretty looking blades (that will do nothing to improve their game) in their bag than there is with tour players on all of the major tours of the world! But then there is a higher % of 300 yard drivers of the ball here than there is on tour also.
[/quote]

themz fightin' woidz round here "GUY"

[quote name='Fornesto' timestamp='1327973469' post='4181635']
[/quote]
[/quote]

themz fightin' woidz round here "GUY"
[/quote]
I Know!

[/quote]
[/quote]

"Which set of clubs today, Mr. Johnson?" "Bring the blades...and the back-ups, too." Seriously.

As far as the wedge goes, I am kind of digging the stripes and chrome- although satin would look sharp. I wish they would change the Burner 1.0 bottom they are using.