Bridgestone J40 DPC

benforeagle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just depends on what you want. They are not the easiest clubs to hit, but by using these irons, it will expose your flaws and teach you to be a better ball striker. There are alot more forgiving irons out there, if you are looking for a forged set of irons you can't go wrong with Bridgetone. If you are looking for a more forgiving forged iron I would recommend looking at the Mizuno JPX Pro irons.

yeah if you are a high 80's shooter maybe ask yourself what your weakness are. If its consistent ball striking then these may not be the best choice out there. If you have any issues getting the ball in the air consistently , the limited offset may be a factor to consider. I know what it's like to have club ho-itis after a set of Bstones and have no where to hit them. Maybe there is a place around there that you can go and try them out? It would be awfully hard for me to buy clubs having never hit them for the money they want for them. Not that they aren't quality, they absolutely are but quality and "for you" are different things indeed.

Good luck!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='jcstrong73' timestamp='1328750046' post='4241527']
It just depends on what you want. They are not the easiest clubs to hit, but by using these irons, it will expose your flaws and teach you to be a better ball striker. There are alot more forgiving irons out there, if you are looking for a forged set of irons you can't go wrong with Bridgetone. If you are looking for a more forgiving forged iron I would recommend looking at the Mizuno JPX Pro irons.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll look into those Mizunos. Problem is I'm becoming a huge Bridgestone enthusiast.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328751196' post='4241667']
yeah if you are a high 80's shooter maybe ask yourself what your weakness are. If its consistent ball striking then these may not be the best choice out there. If you have any issues getting the ball in the air consistently , the limited offset may be a factor to consider. I know what it's like to have club ho-itis after a set of Bstones and have no where to hit them. Maybe there is a place around there that you can go and try them out? It would be awfully hard for me to buy clubs having never hit them for the money they want for them. Not that they aren't quality, they absolutely are but quality and "for you" are different things indeed.

Good luck!
[/quote]

I have zero problem getting it in the air. So that sounds encouraging. I just wouldn't call myself the best ball striker(discouraging). I am going to try and hit up the heated range tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

I have never hit the J40 DPC, but i am an avid bridgestone fan, currently play the J38 DPC (which by all accounts is essentially identical to J40 DPC) and had the J36 PC before that. [b]DON"T [/b]make the mistake of thinking you aren't good enought to hit these irons. The Bridgestone DPC are incredibly forgiving. For reference, I hit the J36 well when i was shooting 100, and i am currently very comfortable hitting the J38 shooting around 90. Even as a pretty lousy golfer, especially compared to the others on this forum, i have absolutely no trouble hitting these irons. My high scores are due to fact that i cannot hit any sort of wood to save my life and my tee shots are constantly OB. I actually believe they are a much superior iron to the JPX 800 pro, equally forgiving and better feel as well.

Every so often, a single 6 iron will show up on ebay. I got one for like 20 bucks a while ago and essentially bought it to use as a demo, which i fell in love with before buying the whole set. Bridgestone seems to be popular on this forum, but i still don't think they get the credit they deserve. The combination of feel and workability, as well as forgiveness is just absolutely unbelievable.

[quote name='hardcaliber' timestamp='1328755734' post='4242205']
I have never hit the J40 DPC, but i am an avid bridgestone fan, currently play the J38 DPC (which by all accounts is essentially identical to J40 DPC) and had the J36 PC before that. [b]DON"T [/b]make the mistake of thinking you aren't good enought to hit these irons. The Bridgestone DPC are incredibly forgiving. For reference, I hit the J36 well when i was shooting 100, and i am currently very comfortable hitting the J38 shooting around 90. Even as a pretty lousy golfer, especially compared to the others on this forum, i have absolutely no trouble hitting these irons. My high scores are due to fact that i cannot hit any sort of wood to save my life and my tee shots are constantly OB. I actually believe they are a much superior iron to the JPX 800 pro, equally forgiving and better feel as well.

Every so often, a single 6 iron will show up on ebay. I got one for like 20 bucks a while ago and essentially bought it to use as a demo, which i fell in love with before buying the whole set. Bridgestone seems to be popular on this forum, but i still don't think they get the credit they deserve. The combination of feel and workability, as well as forgiveness is just absolutely unbelievable.
[/quote]

Sweet feedback. Sounds like you love Bridgestone. Have you or do yoiu play any of the woods or hybrids?

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1328758937' post='4242607']
What clubs do you play now and what have you demoed that you like?
[/quote]

I play the Cobra S2 Forged now. I have had those for a year....played decently well. I haven't done too many demo clubs to be honest with you. I played some Black pearl Cleveland Irons last year that I liked.

[quote name='benforeagle' timestamp='1328758421' post='4242519']
[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1328756192' post='4242255']
You can hit these, they are plenty forgiving. In fact, I have a demo 6 iron j38 dpc I'll send you to try if you would like.
[/quote]

Where in Utah are you? I'm in the SLC Valley.
[/quote]

Panguitch area, I'll mail you the 6 iron if you need a demo. Uinta golf should have all the j40 line, that's where I got my j 40's. I've been through all the bridgestone line if irons and they are all great, they may look intimidating but they are super easy to hit and soft.

[quote name='benforeagle' timestamp='1328759291' post='4242645']
[quote name='topr' timestamp='1328758937' post='4242607']
What clubs do you play now and what have you demoed that you like?
[/quote]

I play the Cobra S2 Forged now. I have had those for a year....played decently well. I haven't done too many demo clubs to be honest with you. I played some Black pearl Cleveland Irons last year that I liked.
[/quote]

If you like the way you hit those you will have absolutely no problem with the DPC's.

You can hit these, they are plenty forgiving. In fact, I have a demo 6 iron j38 dpc I'll send you to try if you would like.
[/quote]

THIS is what makes this place awesome! Good on ya Par Fore!!

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

J38 DPC's are $400 shipped on ebay and 90% similar to J40's. Bought me a set earlier in the week.partytime2.gif

JPX Pro's have a smaller blade and are not as forgiving.beee.gif

To be honest, I think these clubs are best suited for better players, but as long as you are willing to accept not getting a lot of help with your misses, they would be fine.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='benforeagle' timestamp='1328758364' post='4242511']

[/quote]

Sweet feedback. Sounds like you love Bridgestone. Have you or do yoiu play any of the woods or hybrids?
[/quote]

The J40 hybrid is absolutely awesome. I started with the project x 5.0 which was just a tad soft and was causing some contact issues, however i could tell that the ones i got a hold of were amazing. i did a playability switch to the 5.5 and have yet to have a chance to hit it. If i don't like the 5.5, im going to try a miyazaki, as i have those in my z-star woods i bought a few weeks ago and really like them. I didn't get along with the J38 woods, because the stock fuji shaft was just too stiff. I haven't had a chance to hit the J40 woods/driver yet, but they seem to be getting stellar reviews. I'm not completely sold on the project x graphite shaft to be honest, which may limit my enjoyment of the woods. As much a possible, i try to play stock shafts only, simply as a way to limit my obsession. I know that if i start tinkering with exotic custom shafts and trying a bunch of setups, then this golf equipment obsession will spiral completely out of control, as there are just limitless combinations to try out. Sticking with stock is sort of a way to control myself, as in "that is a killer new driver, but i just don't get along with the shaft, to bad, better stick to my old one" vs. "that is an awesome head, it would be totally sick with a GD/Matrix/nunchuck/7c3/blacktie , i better go ahead and withdraw my life savings now."

[quote name='hardcaliber' timestamp='1328763127' post='4243085']
[quote name='benforeagle' timestamp='1328758364' post='4242511']

[/quote]

That's hilarious. I feel at times I will spiral out of control too my friend. It is easy to get caught up in all the crazy cool stuff out there. Keep strong safe that life savings.
[/quote]

The J40 hybrid is absolutely awesome. I started with the project x 5.0 which was just a tad soft and was causing some contact issues, however i could tell that the ones i got a hold of were amazing. i did a playability switch to the 5.5 and have yet to have a chance to hit it. If i don't like the 5.5, im going to try a miyazaki, as i have those in my z-star woods i bought a few weeks ago and really like them. I didn't get along with the J38 woods, because the stock fuji shaft was just too stiff. I haven't had a chance to hit the J40 woods/driver yet, but they seem to be getting stellar reviews. I'm not completely sold on the project x graphite shaft to be honest, which may limit my enjoyment of the woods. As much a possible, i try to play stock shafts only, simply as a way to limit my obsession. I know that if i start tinkering with exotic custom shafts and trying a bunch of setups, then this golf equipment obsession will spiral completely out of control, as there are just limitless combinations to try out. Sticking with stock is sort of a way to control myself, as in "that is a killer new driver, but i just don't get along with the shaft, to bad, better stick to my old one" vs. "that is an awesome head, it would be totally sick with a GD/Matrix/nunchuck/7c3/blacktie , i better go ahead and withdraw my life savings now."
[/quote]

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328761779' post='4242987']
[/quote]

THIS is what makes this place awesome! Good on ya Par Fore!!
[/quote]

That is way awesome. People willing to help each other out. love the site so far thanks to all.

Who knows benforeagle, you may try the J38, love it, and get a set of those in mint/new shape for half the cost of the 40's.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328764123' post='4243161']
Who knows benforeagle, you may try the J38, love it, and get a set of those in mint/new shape for half the cost of the 40's.
[/quote]
True, there's really not a whole lot if difference between the 38 and 40 doc. I was set on the dpc's but when I demo'd them I hit the cb's a lot better. Anyway Ben, shoot me a pm about the club and if you make it south to play let me know the courses in St. George are starting
to green up.

I was curious about the same thing.

Not sure everyone truly believes in Maltby's playability factor (MPF), but in the 2012 version, he rated the J40 DPC as 682 Game Improvement. From what I have seen of his ratings over the last few years, this is one of the highest ratings for an OEM forged iron. A lot higher than the JPX-800 Pro which I have tried and really like.

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

I shoot about the same scores as the OP. I just got a set of the J40 DPC's last week. These work for me just as well as the 8-10 GI irons I have tried over the last year (G15, MX 300, S3, etc). Dont get too caught up in what players should be playing which clubs. You might be surprised by what "players" irons work for mid to high caps and vice versa. If you can actually find a place who has them give them a try. I think you will like them quite a bit, especially if you have no problems playing the S2 forged.

Most bogey golfers in my experience suffer from inconsistency off the tee, and horrible touch around the greens. Almost all of them can hit an iron shot, at least 5-pw. So yeah, go for it. The J38-40 DPC irons are really nice, and the clubface is quite large.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

[quote name='benforeagle' timestamp='1328748578' post='4241357']
I am exactly a bogey sometimes a tiny bit better golfer. Are the Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons too difficult for mee to hit? I absolutely love the look, I'm just too worried I wouldn"t hit them very well. Anybody have any advice?
[/quote]

According to the Maltby charts, the J40 Dual Pockets are more forgiving and easier to get up in the air than both the JPX800 and JPX800 pros....

They are close to the RAZR Tours and Ping i15's on the chart. More forgiving than the old TM RAC OS.

Awesome feedback everyone. I did get a chance today to sneak away from work which is conveniently located right by my local golf shop Uinta golf. I know the manager there he has a set of these bad boys he let me take to the heated driving range(also located close to work).............. LOVED EM!!!! Any shot that was not a good shot was a horrible swing on my part and would have been bad no matter what GI club I swung. Wow if you get it flush with these it is unbelievable! It just shoots off the face and feels like butta. I seem to be having a big problem with hitting the ball fat. That has not been my tendancy in the past. Maybe just first swings of the season issues. I also had my S2's with me other than I hit them further I like the J40 feel more. Only further because the lofts are about a full club stronger which i think is so annoying. Thanks for your help all.

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1328829279' post='4247907']
Most bogey golfers in my experience suffer from inconsistency off the tee, and horrible touch around the greens. Almost all of them can hit an iron shot, at least 5-pw. So yeah, go for it. The J38-40 DPC irons are really nice, and the clubface is quite large.
[/quote]

You just described my game to a T good call.

• 1 year later...

The J40 DPC's irons are fantastic for those who can hit / would like to hit / have ever hit blades. Slightly os head, reasonably forgiving, med-low offset - for players, hookers, pullers, high ball hitters.

THE best part of this club is the standard sole - shallow C grind, usu., an expensive custom option. Great turf interaction. The cub glides through the turf.

If you can hit these, you can play. If you want to learn how to play, you should play these.

Enough said.

The only Con: The P is very strong but B'stone does not offer any other wedge with the same shallow-C grind. B'tone lofted wedges do not offer the companion,same C-grind wedges. Go figure.

Driver Ping G425 MAX
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cleveland HALO 3 and 4
Titleist 2019 model T300, 5-P, 48, 53
SW/LW Titleist SM6 58*/8*
Putter  variety

• 6 months later...

Swung these last week at the store and loved ten or so swings I took so looking to pick these up.

I know that the lofts are weaker than the distance irons I'm using but I also noticed that these are more upright than most (up to 1.5 deg). Has anyone tried tweaking the loft and/or lie?

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2