Craft beer Drinkers Unite!

Slapjax7s

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1326769793' post='4096919']
Anyone getting on the bandwagon of the barrel aged stuff?
[/quote]

Great Divide oak aged yeti chocolate stout. My #1 beer right now. A delicious toasty, dark, Imperial stout.

Here's a trio to grab at your local store, if you're looking for something new to try:

Great Divide - oak aged Yeti Imperial Stout (as mentioned above. pours like pennzoil, tastes like heaven)
Ommegang - Three Philosophers (hoppy/fruity but not ladylike)
Unibroue - La Fin du Monde (triple fermented ale... like Chimay but with better taste)

On special occasions you have to bring out the best:

schlitz malt liquor (the bull)

old English

mickey's big mouth

The three of these IMHO are the pinnacle of fine brews. The price point will unfortunately leave a lot of you guys out in the cold, but for those of us who can truly appreciate a quality handcrafted brew I say CHEERS!

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1328809509' post='4245619']
[/quote]

Great Divide oak aged yeti chocolate stout. My #1 beer right now. A delicious toasty, dark, Imperial stout.

Here's a trio to grab at your local store, if you're looking for something new to try:

Great Divide - oak aged Yeti Imperial Stout (as mentioned above. pours like pennzoil, tastes like heaven)
Unibroue - La Fin du Monde (triple fermented ale... like Chimay but with better taste)
[/quote]

I had the Great Divide oak aged yeti. It was pretty good, but didn't really get the whole oak aged thing. It didn't take the barrel aging like I thought. However, it was a really good beer.

Today, it was nasty, so I went about going over some new beers. I dropped around $200 last night and made a massive haul on some beer to try out.

Tried out the Left Hand Milk Stout.. Killer beer. Much lighter than I expected, more coffee/chocolate taste to it. Very easy drinking beer, closer to say... a Porter, IMO.

Terrapin Moo-Hoo. Wow, this is good. Very smooth, easy drinker. Hides the ABV good, taste a bit more lactose suger up front, good malty finish, and a hint of chocolate in there. Hops jumps in a bit, but only to clean it up for the next sip!

Southern Tier Eurotrash Pilz- New release for this year, came out last week. Pretty decent beer. Not like any other ST beer I've had. Had the Pilsner hops, really fills in the Belgium style. Very crisp and clean, ultra clean/clear brew. I liked it, but wasn't blown away at first, but as I drank it, I wanted more.

Victory Golden Monkeys.. Got a growler of it on a whim. 9.5 ABV, so it's a big kid, but nothing really wild. Nice golden beer, nice and clean pour. Good head on it, pretty good retention for what ended up being a really nice beer. Tripel Ale, not exactly "textbook", but good. Sweet, and malty beer. Smells of fruits and most important, bananas a bit. Probably for the name. ;) Good beer, really drinkable, easy to drink at dinner. Works well with most meals I bet. I like it!!

I'm drinking, and struggling to type this now after today. :) But anyways, I'm drinking Lost Abbeys Angels Share. Which is a bourbon barrel aged Ale. I've seen conflicting places on their site calling it a Barleywine, and then an Ale. This isn't a Barleywine, and really closer to a Strong Ale. Little carbonation to it. Dark brown ale, baby lacing on the sides, and it's because of the 12.5 ABV in this REALLY big beer. Sweet nose, bourbon blows it out in the nose. Caramel and vanilla, good mouthfeel on it. Boozy fruit flavor a bit, really pick up the oak. Great beer though, one of the BEST examples of a barrel aged beer, but it's been aged for 12 months atleast. It's just really boozey on the finish, which is a bit of a turn off for me, but hell, it's in bourbon barrels, and it's a 12.5 brew, what did I expect. I poured it on draft from my growlette that I got of it. Pretty pricey beer, worth just sipping after dinner and enjoying. Don't waste it on your wussy friends who don't like wild craft beer, and who don't like bourbon or high alcohol beer. They will hate it, and at this price, it's not worth wasting!!! I'd buy it again, but man, it's a big, big beer.

Thats all I got today.. I've got a fair amount of other brews to drink, and a few rare ones that I'll save for a special occasion.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really can't talk bourbon without talking Kentucky. Here's a fairly local favorite...

[url="http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx"]Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale[/url]

That "bandwagon" of barrel aged stuff has cost me a significant portion of income, second only to my ho'ing here. As a bourbon lover regardless (Basil's, Bookers, Pappy) any stout aged in barrels is fine by me!

If you've never had:
3F's Dark Lord (+ variations), Founders KBS, Founders CBS, Surly Darkness, Portsmouth KTG, Foothills BA Sexual Chocolate, Bruery Black Tuesday/Choc Rain, 50/50, etc. . . . .

Then you've never lived my friends. Last year I took a KBS road trip with my brother to amass as much as we could in a 200mi loop, it was worth the gas.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

In no particular order some of my favorites

Russian River Pliny the younger
Russian River Pliny the elder
Avery maharaj
Stone oak aged arrogant bastxxx
Dogfish head 120 minute IPA
Dogfish head Burton Baton
Brooklyn Local 1
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
Brooklyn Black Ops
Rouge XS Imperial IPA

and some other. I mostly Stick to IPA's

[quote name='Bobcat43' timestamp='1329062046' post='4266341']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You really can't talk bourbon without talking Kentucky. Here's a fairly local favorite...

[url="http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx"]Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale[/url]
[/quote]

That stuff is not good, they are lucky enough to get people to drink it just because of the Kentucky and Bourbon name. They got me, but not again!

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1329091963' post='4270679']
[quote name='Bobcat43' timestamp='1329062046' post='4266341']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That stuff is not good, they are lucky enough to get people to drink it just because of the Kentucky and Bourbon name. They got me, but not again!
[/quote]

Ahh each to their own.

I had some at Superbowl with a some amazing brisket cooked on a Primo grill. It really pairs well with the meat. I'm good for about 1 then I have to go to something else. Switched over to some 60 Minute then just finished the night on alittle Fat Tire tear... Cleaned out the back of the fridge.

FYI,

If you guys can get ahold of SweetWaters 15th Anniversary Ale, grab it! It's the 15 Year of Heady Brew.

I'm local to SweetWater. I'm not a huge fan of them, West Coast style, really all their beers taste so similar to me that I'm just not big on it.

This one is a ESB, borderline Barleywine, 10%, tons of malt, tons of hops. It's balanced out of it's a** end. I wanted to share my bomber, but I'm a glutton and drank the whole damn thing it was that impressively good to me.

Oh.. and I got some Dogfish 120 Minute IPA en route. SCORE!

Just thought I would share my story of trying to get a few pints of the illustrious Pliny the Younger. My girlfriend and I took a trip to Wine Country this weekend for a getaway (if you want some recommendations, let me know and I will be GLAD to share them). We had an awesome time vineyard hopping trying all that Napa and Sonoma had to offer.

I was oblivious to the fact that Russian River was a short ride away to Santa Rosa and it just so happened to be during the 14 days of younger at Russian River Brewing. We made the short trek from Napa across the mountain see if I couldn't get the chance to try PTY.

Signs outside:

[attachment=1024095:2012-02-13_10-38-16_242.jpg]

I thought I was going to be sneaky and get in early on a Sunday morning. We attempted to stop by on Sunday to a line of people pictured below:

[attachment=1024109:photo_2.jpg]

The line from this point was about 3 hours long. Spoke to the owner and he said last weekend the longest it got was about 6 hours. Needless to say I wasn't going to wait 2 hours on a great Sunday afternoon which was taking away from exploring great wines. We decided to skip the line on Sunday and try again Monday Morning. I am glad that i did because it gave me a chance to go to Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg. I was able to indulge in the Racer 5 Habenero Pepper Cask. A wonderful, spicy compliment to the ever tasty Racer 5 IPA.

Our second attempt at tasting the Pliny the Younger was much more successful. Arrived at 10:30am Monday morning (today) to a much more manageable 40+ person line. We were able to get in right away and the Younger was freshly poured awaiting a pleasure ride to Stomach Central.

A list of what they have on tap at:
[attachment=1024113:photo_1.jpg]
[attachment=1024115:photo.jpg]

If you don't know much about it, Pliny the Younger is the exclusive brother to Russian River's flagship, Pliny the Elder. Pliny the Elder is a Double IPA and the younger is their Triple IPA. I anticipated a very strong, pungent IPA that was tough on the palate. I was completely wrong and glad to be. Pliny the Younger is what I would consider to be one of the best IPA's I have ever had the pleasure of having. For a Triple IPA, it was quite smooth and easy to drink. The 10 ounce quantity was a smart choice as most would probably have a tough time powering through a traditional 16 ounce. No growlers could be filled because they were being blackmarket sold on Ebay for stupid amounts of money. I have enjoyed many IPA's, but can say without a doubt, I don't think I will enjoy one as much as this. What was supposed to be a 1 drink tasting, turned into me quaffing back 4 delicious pints of this tasty beverage, each as tasty as its exclusive predecessor.

[attachment=1024101:photo_1.jpg]
[attachment=1024099:photo.jpg]

I had to hop on a plane today to go back to San Diego, but I plan on making this an annual trip. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it up.

[quote name='itsernst' timestamp='1329199148' post='4282021']
Just thought I would share my story of trying to get a few pints of the illustrious Pliny the Younger. My girlfriend and I took a trip to Wine Country this weekend for a getaway (if you want some recommendations, let me know and I will be GLAD to share them). We had an awesome time vineyard hopping trying all that Napa and Sonoma had to offer.

I was oblivious to the fact that Russian River was a short ride away to Santa Rosa and it just so happened to be during the 14 days of younger at Russian River Brewing. We made the short trek from Napa across the mountain see if I couldn't get the chance to try PTY.

Signs outside:

[attachment=1024095:2012-02-13_10-38-16_242.jpg]

I thought I was going to be sneaky and get in early on a Sunday morning. We attempted to stop by on Sunday to a line of people pictured below:

[attachment=1024109:photo_2.jpg]

The line from this point was about 3 hours long. Spoke to the owner and he said last weekend the longest it got was about 6 hours. Needless to say I wasn't going to wait 2 hours on a great Sunday afternoon which was taking away from exploring great wines. We decided to skip the line on Sunday and try again Monday Morning. I am glad that i did because it gave me a chance to go to Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg. I was able to indulge in the Racer 5 Habenero Pepper Cask. A wonderful, spicy compliment to the ever tasty Racer 5 IPA.

Our second attempt at tasting the Pliny the Younger was much more successful. Arrived at 10:30am Monday morning (today) to a much more manageable 40+ person line. We were able to get in right away and the Younger was freshly poured awaiting a pleasure ride to Stomach Central.

A list of what they have on tap at:
[attachment=1024113:photo_1.jpg]
[attachment=1024115:photo.jpg]

If you don't know much about it, Pliny the Younger is the exclusive brother to Russian River's flagship, Pliny the Elder. Pliny the Elder is a Double IPA and the younger is their Triple IPA. I anticipated a very strong, pungent IPA that was tough on the palate. I was completely wrong and glad to be. Pliny the Younger is what I would consider to be one of the best IPA's I have ever had the pleasure of having. For a Triple IPA, it was quite smooth and easy to drink. The 10 ounce quantity was a smart choice as most would probably have a tough time powering through a traditional 16 ounce. No growlers could be filled because they were being blackmarket sold on Ebay for stupid amounts of money. I have enjoyed many IPA's, but can say without a doubt, I don't think I will enjoy one as much as this. What was supposed to be a 1 drink tasting, turned into me quaffing back 4 delicious pints of this tasty beverage, each as tasty as its exclusive predecessor.

[attachment=1024101:photo_1.jpg]
[attachment=1024099:photo.jpg]

I had to hop on a plane today to go back to San Diego, but I plan on making this an annual trip. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it up.
[/quote]

Not trying to brag, but there's a legit chance that I'm the biggest beer nerd on this site. Craft beer is my one passion that surpasses even golf. I contemplated taking a trip to Santa Rosa to try PtY this year, but a few other trips scheduled in the next two months made it impossible for me to get to Cali. I'm insanely jealous and glad that you got to try PtY. Elder is one of my favorite IPAs and I'll be drinking a lot of it in March when I go to Colorado for a bachelor party trip (bar in Denver always has it on tap). Congrats on getting to try it and I'm glad you enjoyed!

Beau

[quote name='sefus12' timestamp='1329233014' post='4283409']
Not trying to brag, but there's a legit chance that I'm the biggest beer nerd on this site. Craft beer is my one passion that surpasses even golf. I contemplated taking a trip to Santa Rosa to try PtY this year, but a few other trips scheduled in the next two months made it impossible for me to get to Cali. I'm insanely jealous and glad that you got to try PtY. Elder is one of my favorite IPAs and I'll be drinking a lot of it in March when I go to Colorado for a bachelor party trip (bar in Denver always has it on tap). Congrats on getting to try it and I'm glad you enjoyed!

Beau
[/quote]

Beau,
I'm headed to Denver, CO Springs, and Vail for a bachelor party weekend after Easter -- gimme the lowdown on where to hit please!!!!!!

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

Some of my favorites recently:
Left Hand's Wake Up Dead
Boulder Beer's Flashback and Mojo IPA
Avery's Maharaja and Old Jubilation (if you're local to the Denver/Boulder area, they release some incredible barrel-aged stuff as well.)
Almost anything from Jolly Pumpkin
Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter
Oskar Blues' Old Chub and Ten Fidy
Funkwerks Saison
New Belgium's 1554 and Abbey
Odell's 90 Shilling

@_MS22_: If you're in Denver, definitely hit up the Vine Street Pub, Breckenridge Brewery, Great Divide, and Renegade Brewery, and if you like pricey Belgian beers, there's a place called the cheeky monk. If you're around long enough to take a day trip, there are a bunch of awesome places up in Boulder too--Avery, Boulder Beer (best brewery tour in town) and Upslope's tap room are great.
Trinity and Bristol are both in CO Springs. I haven't been there, but I had Bristol's Winter Warlock stout this week and it was quite tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1326326122' post='4068033']
[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1326256067' post='4062781']
Anything from Russian River Brewing.
[/quote]

I want to try Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger in the worst way. They don't sell it in Michigan though. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
[/quote]

I work in a restaurant that has 30+ craft beers on tap here in Orange County and we tapped out of an entire keg of Pliny the Elder in about 5 hours! Luckily I was able to snag a pint after my shift, and it was delicious!

[/quote]

Love bourbon barrel aged ales! I wish all beers could come barrel aged.

My favorite is probably Great Lakes Rackhouse Ale that's only sold at the brewery. I didn't have it last year, but the year before was really good. Very strong bourbon flavor!

Another I really like is Allagash Curieux. I first had it here in Ohio, but you might be able to find this in GA as I had it last year in Hilton Head.

Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Next to bourbon barrel beers, I like pumpkin beers. Greater Pumpkin is a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin beer, the best of both worlds, right? Eh, the bourbon flavor was ok, but I couldn't really taste any spices and I like my pumpkin beers spicy. I'd get it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Frosted Frog isn't too bad. One thing I like about the seasonal beers is that about the time I'm running out of pumpkin beers, the Christmas ales are coming out. Frosted Frog has been one of my favorites for a couple of years now as it's really spicy. I stopped at the brewery this past December to get some Barrel Aged Frosted Frog with high hopes. It was good, the spices were there, but the bourbon flavor wasn't as strong as I was hoping for. However, I seem to taste this beer differently than other people as the reviews I've read for this year's batch talk about great bourbon and strong cinnamon flavors. I could barely taste the cinnamon and the bourbon wasn't very noticable. My wife thought it smelled like a cinnamon stick and tasted like s@#t (she hates beer).

Off the barrel aged subject, Troegs Nugget Nectar has been released and I'm looking forward to getting a few packs of it in the next couple of days. It's one of my favorite seasonal beers that I look forward to each year.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

Feel like I am rubbing it in now. Got to enjoy PTY and PTE again on Saturday courtesy of a local gastropub. It was a fundraiser so a worthy cause to donate money. Won a bottle of North Coast 2009 Reserve as well.

In addition, if you are a west coaster be on the look out for Alpine Brewing Company. They are making amazing beers right now and are expanding to fill the demand.

[quote name='_MS22_' timestamp='1329315389' post='4290187']
[quote name='sefus12' timestamp='1329233014' post='4283409']

Beau
[/quote]

Beau,
I'm headed to Denver, CO Springs, and Vail for a bachelor party weekend after Easter -- gimme the lowdown on where to hit please!!!!!!
[/quote]

My favorite breweries in the area are Odell in Ft Collins and Oskar Blues in Lyons. There's a pretty damn famous beer bar in Denver called the Falling Tap Room and the Great Divide tap room is only a half mile or so away from there. Tons of great places. Shoot me a message if you have anymore questions.

[quote name='GreekGodX' timestamp='1330651568' post='4415245']
Can't wait for the Founders KBS release!!! I'm going to camp out for it :partytime2:
[/quote]

It's like Christmas but in March for me as well friend. Each year I manage to piece together a case from local places that get our PA allocation. I'm patiently sitting on my 5 bottles of CBS I have left too . . .

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

Yeah, Founder KBS is hitting our shelves Thursday, March 15th. The guy there said don't make a rush trip for it. He'll have around 20 cases of it on hand. $20 a 4/pack.

I'll probably get 2 4/packs of it, and some other things and call it done. I'd like to find some CBS, but haven't really looked for it.

Oh, and Dogfish Aprihop is out this weekend as well.

Out in left field here... My beer stock has gotten low as of the last week. Took 2 weeks off from beer hoarding.

I'm on an IPA kick, so I've got a beer fridge full of 60 minute, 90 minute and some 120 minute Dogfish. I've got some Jailhouse Brewery Hopriot, and Mugshot IPA.

Going to get the Aprihop, might spring for a growler fill if it's half decent I think. Got 5 growlers begging to get wet in the garage.

Any good stouts? I'm going from brewery to brewery mostly.. Is the Chicory Stout from DFH any good? I love stouts.

I drank all my Left Hand Milk Stout.. Duck Rabbit was NASTY, maybe I got a bad bottle or 2, but man.. Hated it. Terrapin Moo-Hoo is killer good, and luckily easy for me to find being local...

Need some fresh ideas.

I like milk stouts, I like imperial stouts.

Pilsners are good, but this time of year not fond of them...

What about a dopplebock? I had the Ft. Collins Dopple, and it was good but too damn smokey, and didn't love it.

Barleywines.. those don't really "wow" me, period. No Red Ales....

I like a good Dubble, Tripel, or even a nice complex Quad.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1331095221' post='4453163']
I like imperial stouts.
[/quote]

Next time you're out West:

[url="http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/the-abyss"]http://www.deschutes.../brew/the-abyss[/url]

Fortunately, a Deschutes pub is several blocks from my office, with it on cask when released.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1331095221' post='4453163']
Out in left field here... My beer stock has gotten low as of the last week. Took 2 weeks off from beer hoarding.

I'm on an IPA kick, so I've got a beer fridge full of 60 minute, 90 minute and some 120 minute Dogfish. I've got some Jailhouse Brewery Hopriot, and Mugshot IPA.

Going to get the Aprihop, might spring for a growler fill if it's half decent I think. Got 5 growlers begging to get wet in the garage.

Any good stouts? I'm going from brewery to brewery mostly.. Is the Chicory Stout from DFH any good? I love stouts.

I drank all my Left Hand Milk Stout.. Duck Rabbit was NASTY, maybe I got a bad bottle or 2, but man.. Hated it. Terrapin Moo-Hoo is killer good, and luckily easy for me to find being local...

Need some fresh ideas.

I like milk stouts, I like imperial stouts.

Pilsners are good, but this time of year not fond of them...

What about a dopplebock? I had the Ft. Collins Dopple, and it was good but too damn smokey, and didn't love it.

Barleywines.. those don't really "wow" me, period. No Red Ales....

I like a good Dubble, Tripel, or even a nice complex Quad.
[/quote]

If you are a hophead and live in Georgia, you have to try Sweetwater IPA. Fantastic IPA with loads of tropical and citrus fruit flavors.

I am very much into craft beer like you all, and try everything I can get my hands on. I am currently on a Victory brewing kick right now. The hop wallop is just awesome, as are the hop devil and the imperial stout called storm king. There are so many fantastic craft brews but these 3 stand out for me right now. If you like hoppy beers and have not tried hop wallop give it a try. If you like a little more malty flavor try the hop devil. If you like stouts and havent tried storm king, I think its pretty dam good.