Odyssey Odyssey White Hot XG

Picked up a new XG SRT 2-ball a couple of weeks ago off of ebay for $102. Was not very sure that I would like it as I don't like the looks of most big headed high tech putters. After 2 weeks I still don't like the look but it certainly improved my putting. The 2-ball alignment and perimeter weighting help me to hit on the line I wanted (hasn't helped my reads, but thats not its fault).

I have been accused of having hands of stone sometimes regarding length. The ball comes off the face softly but firmly. I haven't been 6 feet past or short since I started using it. Very please so far.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ve got a 34 marxman, probably the best feeling putter ive had. Lining puts up is very easy with the Hi-Def lines. Ive gone 54 holes now without a 3 put and for me thats good! (first hole tomorrow guaranteed 3 stab :shout: ). works best for me on fast greens but ive always been a die at the hole type putter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first XG putter was the Marxman.

Wow did that thing do wonders for me.
It took my putting to a whole new level.

I've always struggled with alignment but of course with the marxman, it eased the tension away from alignment and allowed me to focus on speed.

But still, the marxman is HIDEOUS!
Honestly, it's pretty ugly. Great to line up, but when my old playing partner said i got a branding-iron for a putter, i had to get rid of it.

Since then, i stayed within the XG line (because of the buttery feel) and went on to the #9.
HO LEE CHIT!

This putter feels even better than the Marxman!
As for lining up putts, with the #9 i sank two 15 putts from different angle, both on the first try!
Also being a slightly lighter head, i went with the 35"

Stability, control, and feel.
I traded in my Scotty Cameron Circa #1 Charcoal Mist for XG.
Never looked back.

The #9 will be in the bag for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
May have it shorten from 35 to 34.5 soon with a new grip.
The stock grip is the only negative for me.

Kinda bulky and doesn't really help in lining up the hands (as other grips do)

-DRU

• 5 months later...

Bought my XG Rossie almost two years ago, but here's my two cents.

PROS:

- Good distance control

- Soft touch

- Great price for a solid putter

CONS:

- Not really a con, but once in a while, I feel like the ball comes off "too hot" and I hit it longer than expected

My previous putter was a White Steel blade (either #1 or #3, I forgot). Although it was a great putter, I'd keep hitting putts too long or too short. Of course, I can't blame the putter, but for me, I needed something where the weight of the club would do more of the work. I tried a two ball putter for a little while, but it was too large of a transition from a blade. Then I found this in the store and gave it a shot. Now I am a huge fan of the White Hot series. Odyssey got it right on this one.

Recently switched from a SeeMore FGP Blade to the #7- has the two prongs hanging off the back. I was looking for a change and tried everything the shop had . . . finalists were the Rife Two Bar Hybrid and the #7.

I ended up with the #7 mainly due to cost. So far about 2+ hrs of practice and 36+ holes.

The insert is responsive. The XG business complements the firmness of the Bridgeston B330's I play. This is the first insert putter I've owned.

Short putts (less than 5')- line it up and drop'em in. Automatic just like the SeeMore did.

Mid rangers (5-10')- consistent distances for me here, easy to get the ball started on the line I picked. Bottom line, I know the ball is going in or is going to be real close . . .

Long putts- here is where the #7 shines for me. I had speed/distance control issues with the SeeMore on long putts, but the #7 so far is very consistent with my putting stroke. My lag putting has always been a weak point, but is now less terrible and leaves me with a chance now.

I do not hit many greens, but it's nice to not 3 jack'em. If I do hit a cold streak with this putter, I'll probably switch golf balls before putters.

The B330 is consistent for my short game- spin is easier for me to control, definitely doesn't spin as much as other balls around the green, but just easier for me to control the release.

--Update May 28th--

It's only been 10 days or since my first review so I thought I'd post a quick update after another 36 holes (2 9's and an 18).

No honeymoon period. This putter has remained consistent for me every time out- my scoring has gotten a lot better since I haven't 3 jacked over this time period and I have discovered a glaring deficiency in my chipping (I just don't leave it close enough) and missing greens from inside 150 yards . . . at least I know my putting isn't holding me back . . .

The #7 should be in my bag for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a struggling putter, always working on a fluid straight back-and-forth motion. I have an Odyssey White Hot XG 5 CS (center-shafted). It's awfully tough to beat. I have a Yes Tracy that I can go to if my 5CS misbehaves, but so far, it's a quality putter. The 5iCS is very quiet, but you still can hear a "thunk" if you mis-hit it. Those who say it has no feedback may have a very pure putting stroke and are getting that sweet spot every time. One thing I like about the XG5 is the size of the mallet head. It's sleek, smallish but very strong. One day I plan to try the new bronze version Tour model and see what it's like. But for now, I'm pretty satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Putting has always been the poorest part of my game, too may 3 putt greens!!

Tried everything over the years, with the exception of the belly putter. Even putted left handed for a while.

Anyway, bought a Marxman blade earlier this season. I've seen better distance control, and I've got much more confidence on the 3-6 footers.

This putter really works.

One other putter I've tried and liked recently is the new Ping Craze-E iWi. Again, good weight and balance, easy to line-up, good feel off the face.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had given up on insert faced putters after having no luck with my Rossa Monza Corza and various others and was back to playing my 300 year old Northwestern stick/blade putter. That was until I tried the 2-ball SRT with the White Hot XG face. The weight was perfect and the 2-ball system, which I had always written off as a gimmick, has seriously improve my aim.

My only complaint would be my standard complaint with the other inserts. From really far out I lose distance and feel and from really close in I get too much speed. I know that it's a learning process and an adjustment from using solid steel putters my whole life.

The stability gained from the SRT head makes up for the small face issues. IMO the White Hot XG insert is definitely more responsive than TaylorMade's AGSI in the Spider/Rossa line. I can feel the club face hitting the ball now and I'm much closer to the hole now. It's just down to me fine tuning aim and speed.

I know grips are everyone's own opinion, but my opinion is that Odyssey's are the best feeling stock grips out there. Perfect amount of tacky and spongy.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

Yesterday I was waiting my uncle make his purchase in a pro-shop and decide to play around with some putters, just for fun and to kill some time. I was hitting some TM spider and itsy bitsy spider until I grab the odyssey white hot XG #9. I thought the shape strange at first, but the first five strokes was down the midle of the mat cup. Odd, I'm not a great putter (10hdcp). Grab the famous spider and...nothing difent than my ping g2 anser. Again the #9, it can't be that much diferent. Ask the guy if I could test in the putting green outside. JUST AMAZING! Bought it right away. I never buy golf stuff without test or read (I live in Brazil, so not many options around) a lot.

Today, I wasn't in a good ball striking day, but the putter saved me par on the six first holes, bogeys in other two and even a loong birdie and helped a lot what would be a very frustrating day.

The feeling is different, never used a insert putter so I can't compare, but I like it so far. What realy sold it was the ability to sink almost every 6, 7 footers. It's great putter!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up a XG-7 Tour model 34".
I really prefer bronze colored putters and this one has a couple of aim lines as well.
The head weight is just heavy enuf without being too heavy. I find alignment is a snap.
I really like the insert it seems just right for feel.
No problem long or short putts. The roll is as good as they come.
I have never putted as well as I have since picking this putter up.
To sum it up I think Odyssey really got it right with this one.

Update : -
Well I have several more rounds on this putter now and I can honestly say its just gotten better!
I am making putts like never before.
I am very thankful that I was able to find my perfect match in a putter.
I always wondered if there was such a thing but now that I found it I get it.

• 1 month later...

best putter I have used at alignment, I have the xg #6, which is somewhat unique in its hosel setup. once fitted, the putter delivered a consistent roll that is deadly at 15 feet. it gets a little trickier on lag putts, especially ones that end uphill. it can come up short. the best putter at holding its line i have used to date. the balance is phenomenal. they dont make the #6 anymore, so i bought an extra one for my other bag. the release off the ball is top notch. I am deadly at 8' in, generally.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 5 months later...