2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway HEX Black Tour

JaxBeachNole

What do you think?
So I gather that the ball will be a big story this year and they were released today, any body play them yet?

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a review I did a couple weeks ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/597781-the-big-review-taylormade-penta-tp5-vs-callaway-hex-black-tour-vs-srixon-z-star-xv/

As I mentioned at the end, I wanted to give the Hex Black a second chance, and currently I'm in Tampa doing just that. So far, I'm very happy I did. Next week I'll do a full update, but for know I must say its really giving my Z Star XV a run for its money!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1330659843' post='4416423']
Here is a review I did a couple weeks ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/597781-the-big-review-taylormade-penta-tp5-vs-callaway-hex-black-tour-vs-srixon-z-star-xv/

As I mentioned at the end, I wanted to give the Hex Black a second chance, and currently I'm in Tampa doing just that. So far, I'm very happy I did. Next week I'll do a full update, but for know I must say its really giving my Z Star XV a run for its money!
[/quote]

wow, that's a great review. I remember reading that a while ago and really like the comparisons. I am going to try the HEX, XV, 20XI-X, B330 and TP5 against my ProV1x over the next weeks and will use your format to construct a review, that is if you don't mind.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Chris92009' timestamp='1330706256' post='4419229']
Callaway balls in general have always seemed to be sort of "clicky" on the greens...not sure if it is just my cameron putters or the way I hear contact with the ball...other than that Callaway makes a great ball.

IMHO
[/quote]

Have you tried the 20XI line? I thought it was clicky off the putter too. Heard that a lot.

I tried the Black yesterday and it was really alot like the original Penta, not as long as current ProV1x, Nike Tour D. I played in windy conditions at the Jax Beach Muni Yesterday and it got knocked down on all of my shots. The claim that it is a good wind ball is false. I did think it spun like crazy although the greens were pretty soft. I backed up a 9 Iron on a par three about 20 feet, unfortunately away from the hole. I will say that it was the best feeling Callaway ball I have played, but I still have three sleeves waiting to be hot so more review is ahead.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331052589' post='4447993']
I tried the Black yesterday and it was really alot like the original Penta, not as long as current ProV1x, Nike Tour D. I played in windy conditions at the Jax Beach Muni Yesterday and it got knocked down on all of my shots. [b]The claim that it is a good wind ball is false.[/b] I did think it spun like crazy although the greens were pretty soft. I backed up a 9 Iron on a par three about 20 feet, unfortunately away from the hole. I will say that it was the best feeling Callaway ball I have played, but I still have three sleeves waiting to be hot so more review is ahead.
[/quote]
For you, maybe? Not everyone can get a ball to perform the way they need it to. That's why OEMs make others. :D

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1331052774' post='4448017']
I tried the Black yesterday and it was really alot like the original Penta, not as long as current ProV1x, Nike Tour D. I played in windy conditions at the Jax Beach Muni Yesterday and it got knocked down on all of my shots. [b]The claim that it is a good wind ball is false.[/b] I did think it spun like crazy although the greens were pretty soft. I backed up a 9 Iron on a par three about 20 feet, unfortunately away from the hole. I will say that it was the best feeling Callaway ball I have played, but I still have three sleeves waiting to be hot so more review is ahead.
[/quote]
For you, maybe? Not everyone can get a ball to perform the way they need it to. That's why OEMs make others. :D
[/quote]

True, obviously it works pretty well for Phil. I did have one booooomb 2nd shot on a Par 5 with my 3 wood. Dogleg left, water all the way left and in front of the green, Drive was about 250 into the wind, 2nd shot was the first time I've used my new g20 off the fairway and the wind was right to left, 275 approx in the air amd rolled to the back of the green. The wind barely made the ball move.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331053279' post='4448101']
[/quote]
[/quote]

True, obviously it works pretty well for Phil. I did have one booooomb 2nd shot on a Par 5 with my 3 wood. Dogleg left, water all the way left and in front of the green, Drive was about 250 into the wind, 2nd shot was the first time I've used my new g20 off the fairway and the wind was right to left, 275 approx in the air amd rolled to the back of the green. The wind barely made the ball move.
[/quote]
My playing partner was handed a sleeve by the Cally rep last week and he played it. He shot 79 into pretty stiff wind gusts. Too much ball for me, but he was commenting that it was holding the wind for him. The point is that any ball is designed to do "something". Not everyone can get the best out of it. Believe me, it's not an insult, and please don't take it as such, but it's just that ball while you expected more, didn't totally do everything you wanted. But I'm glad it performed at least decently for you.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[/quote]
My playing partner was handed a sleeve by the Cally rep last week and he played it. He shot 79 into pretty stiff wind gusts. Too much ball for me, but he was commenting that it was holding the wind for him. The point is that any ball is designed to do "something". Not everyone can get the best out of it. Believe me, it's not an insult, and please don't take it as such, but it's just that ball while you expected more, didn't totally do everything you wanted. But I'm glad it performed at least decently for you.
[/quote]

I agree completely, there is always a sacrifice somewhere, something. It doesn't mean that every golfer has an optimum ball for them. It's just fun to try new ones and other equipment to try to find perfection.

I have 12 rounds in with the ball. I was given 5 sleeves prior to the release and have played them down in florida also up in Michigan both with variable conditions. This ball feels great off the driver and produces a long boring trajectory and is long. This ball spins way too much for my irons and wedges. Many irons shots would balloon into the wind (and I play C taper shafts) and my wedges (legal SM4 grooves) would hit and suck back 50 feet (again with C tapers). I don't exagerate as I have been a plus handicap at one point. It felt good chipping and putting and seemed pretty good from a durability standpoint but I can't play this ball due to the spin. As a reference, my ball of choice at this point is the ProV1X.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1331054019' post='4448191']
I have 12 rounds in with the ball. I was given 5 sleeves prior to the release and have played them down in florida also up in Michigan both with variable conditions. This ball feels great off the driver and produces a long boring trajectory and is long. This ball spins way too much for my irons and wedges. Many irons shots would balloon into the wind (and I play C taper shafts) and my wedges (legal SM4 grooves) would hit and suck back 50 feet (again with C tapers). I don't exagerate as I have been a plus handicap at one point. It felt good chipping and putting and seemed pretty good from a durability standpoint but I can't play this ball due to the spin. As a reference, my ball of choice at this point is the ProV1X.
[/quote]

I would agree with the durability and spin comments for sure. how have your FW/HY shots been?

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331054171' post='4448221']
[/quote]

I would agree with the durability and spin comments for sure. how have your FW/HY shots been?
[/quote]

I don't really have much to add about this. They seemed fine (really didn't balloon on these shots) and produced a good results. Nothing extraordinary though. I really judge a ball by the driver, irons, and short game.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1331054513' post='4448271']
[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331054171' post='4448221']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't really have much to add about this. They seemed fine (really didn't balloon on these shots) and produced a good results. Nothing extraordinary though. I really judge a ball by the driver, irons, and short game.
[/quote]

fair enough

the ball is long for me.... holds its shot in the wind... good trajectory ... great spin... i think it has great amount of spin... but i like to think im good at controlling spin.. so i didn;t experience extreme spin live some posts say

and the ball has great greenside spin/control

i hit some bombs into the wind with this ball.....

dare i say it.. .i would compare it to the tp red ... distance wise with more spin with the scoring irons

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1331103573' post='4453699']
the ball is long for me.... holds its shot in the wind... good trajectory ... great spin... i think it has great amount of spin... but i like to think im good at controlling spin.. so i didn;t experience extreme spin live some posts say

dare i say it.. .i would compare it to the tp red ... distance wise with more spin with the scoring irons
[/quote]

It's a great ball, but headwinds really cut my distance.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331142423' post='4455919']
[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1331103573' post='4453699']

[/quote]

It's a great ball, but headwinds really cut my distance.
[/quote]

as it should with all balls :friends:

different experience with different players.... but i haven't bombed one like into the wind like that since i cycled out tp red balls... however the 2011 b330s is pretty dam good too

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I had my first experience last weekend. It was pretty gusty out & I thought the HEX Black was great. It was every bit as long as the Pro VX and then some. It handled well around the greens and I really liked the way it felt off the putter. Maybe a touch firmer than the X off the putter, but not in a bad way, if that makes any sense.

I have made the switch and will be playing these the rest of the year.

Played it today and it is great into the wind. I also was 6 for 6 chipping around the green with it. My worst chip was a 4 footer.In summary, low ball flight that is long off the tee and great into the wind. Chips and putts nice around the green. Most likely my ball this year.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Welllllll,,,,,"they" say you should work from the green outwards so that's what I do.

I figure if I don't like to putt the ball there's no reason for me to hit it with another club.

Tried putting with the Black and it was similar to the 20Xi (and ix ?) in that I had trouble reaching the hole.

End of test. ;)

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331180787' post='4459535']
Welllllll,,,,,"they" say you should work from the green outwards so that's what I do.

I figure if I don't like to putt the ball there's no reason for me to hit it with another club.

Tried putting with the Black and it was similar to the 20Xi (and ix ?) in that I had trouble reaching the hole.

End of test. ;)
[/quote]

Have play rounds with the 20XI? My main curiousuty is how the HEX Black and 20XI-X compare

Let me start by saying that I have never liked any of the previous Callaway ball offerings, so when I heard all the rave and new ball characteristics that was to come with the Hex Black, it caught my attention. I picked up a sleeve over the weekend to compare against two of my favorite balls at the moment, Z Star XV and '11 Pro V1x. Prior to the round, here are a few excerpts of what I heard about this ball...

"...as long as XV if not longer..."
"...straight off the tee..." (less spin off the tee, in other words)
"...more greenside spin than V1x and XV"
"...as durable as XV, more durable than Pro V..."

So, I'd like to address just these few comments that caught my attention.

- NOT EVEN CLOSE! The XV was smoking this ball by at least 15 yards! I wish I could've compared it with the V1x as it is pretty close with the XV in distance for me. One other thing to note from the tee box is a softer feel at impact. And this is also noticeable on the greens. Where the old Cally balls were clicky, this one is muted off the putter face and does feel softer.

- On some mishits, I didn't see the ball spinning out of control and ending up on the other fairway. I would conclude that it behaved the same as the XV/V1x on spin off the tee. However, off of an iron shot, these balls spin more than the XV.

- True in comparison with the XV, but about the same as the V1x

- This is plain rubbish! Nothing comes close to the XV in durability...as we like to call the XV, INDESTRUCTIBALL. The Pro V is even more durable than the Hex Black.

After the round, ball went straight into the shag bag. Hex is a good ball, but just not the right combination of "good" that I am looking for. XV and ProV1x to remain in the bag.

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1331700927' post='4504325']
Let me start by saying that I have never liked any of the previous Callaway ball offerings, so when I heard all the rave and new ball characteristics that was to come with the Hex Black, it caught my attention. I picked up a sleeve over the weekend to compare against two of my favorite balls at the moment, Z Star XV and '11 Pro V1x. Prior to the round, here are a few excerpts of what I heard about this ball...

So, I'd like to address just these few comments that caught my attention.

- NOT EVEN CLOSE! The XV was smoking this ball by at least 15 yards! I wish I could've compared it with the V1x as it is pretty close with the XV in distance for me. One other thing to note from the tee box is a softer feel at impact. And this is also noticeable on the greens. Where the old Cally balls were clicky, this one is muted off the putter face and does feel softer.

- On some mishits, I didn't see the ball spinning out of control and ending up on the other fairway. I would conclude that it behaved the same as the XV/V1x on spin off the tee. However, off of an iron shot, these balls spin more than the XV.

- True in comparison with the XV, but about the same as the V1x

- This is plain rubbish! Nothing comes close to the XV in durability...as we like to call the XV, INDESTRUCTIBALL. The Pro V is even more durable than the Hex Black.

After the round, ball went straight into the shag bag. Hex is a good ball, but just not the right combination of "good" that I am looking for. XV and ProV1x to remain in the bag.
[/quote]

After 3 round with it now, I conceed that it is closer to what your saying above.

Distance is less than others off the tee. Irons pretty long. Greenside spin is medium, but full shot spin is crazy. I didn't get the clickyness that I have had before the past two rounds and like the feel, but I don't think there is a positive over ProV1X to me.

Played again today and have to say that it under preformed again. Really not getting as much distance with anything but a helping wind. I will say that my new SM4 60 loves the ball as I pitched in once off the green and to a knock in on another from 40 yards.

For my game, the only complaint I have is that I wish it were a bit softer off the putter and that it was a bit more durable, after 9 holes, my conforming wedges had left their mark. My gamer all last season was the PVx, I though that was the best ball for me since the 07 B330s. It was long, low spin off the driver, felt good off the iron/putter, only complaint with the PVx was the greenside spin was a bit lacking. The new Hex is a bit longer off the tee, spin substantially less (trackman indicated approx 300rom less), the ball just wants to go straight, feels good off the scoring irons and the can generate more greenside spin than the current PVx. Need to do a bit more testing before I am a buyer, but things look good. I am a 2.8 index with 108SS for reference that plays a high fade.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331053279' post='4448101']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good par! Lol

Callaway Rogue ST SZ<<< - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60g 6.5x
Cobra King LTDx LS - Tensei White AV 75x
Titleist U510 2i - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g 6.5x
PING Iblade 4-PW - Project X Blackout 6.5x

Wilson Staff Model Blade 4-PW - Project X LZ Blackout 6.5x
PING Glide 2.0 52, 56, 60 - DG X100 TI Onyx

Ping PLD Prime Tyne

Ping Vault 2.0 Voss
Wilson Staff Model X 2024 Ball

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good par! Lol
[/quote]

Haha.... ha, yeah you're right.

Played the Blacks today, steady 15-20 wind gusts to near 30 I'm guessing.

I think this is one of best balls to come out in last 5 years, sans the TP Red LDP.

The best feeling ball Cally's made to date, like ProV1 of old is what I thought of...even chipping and putting, very nice.

Silly staight and long. Bores tunnels through the wind. I played one less club and hit it harder today to test ballooning...not really found and picked up a club for me with irons.

No unexpected suck backs off iron, greens were slow today, maybe 4 feet max, most hit and were within a foot. Nice grab on little touch shots. Very nice distance control.

Overall a great ball, off to do some shopping see what kind of deals I can find.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year