Callaway HEX Black Tour

JaxBeachNole

I wanted to like this ball (good distance and feel) but the cover durability is REALLY BAD for me, just shredding these things and it's totally bumming me out....BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1332036125' post='4527425']
I wanted to like this ball (good distance and feel) but the cover durability is REALLY BAD for me, just shredding these things and it's totally bumming me out....BB
[/quote]

BB, give this years B330 a look, it maybe the answer you are looking for, it was for me. A different ball than previous models, I almost didn't try it, boy am I glad I did!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Treid these for the first time yesterday. Felt really hard (playing in approx. 11 degrees so that might have been a factor), flew very flat and a bit clicky off the putter. Changed to last year's Penta after 6 holes and got more height and spin. Defo a ball for hot weather and someone who hits it harder than I do. BTW durability was fine.

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1332034028' post='4527211']
Played the Blacks today, steady 15-20 wind gusts to near 30 I'm guessing.

I think this is one of best balls to come out in last 5 years, sans the TP Red LDP.

The best feeling ball Cally's made to date, like ProV1 of old is what I thought of...even chipping and putting, very nice.

Silly staight and long. Bores tunnels through the wind. I played one less club and hit it harder today to test ballooning...not really found and picked up a club for me with irons.

No unexpected suck backs off iron, greens were slow today, maybe 4 feet max, most hit and were within a foot. Nice grab on little touch shots. Very nice distance control.

Overall a great ball, off to do some shopping see what kind of deals I can find.
[/quote]

I agree, played with this ball this weekend in DFW as well both days Sat and yesterday (crazy windy). Used a Zstar on Sat and Hex black yesterday. Even in 30 mph winds this ball holds it's line very well. Spin was decent, not the best with the wedges. Had a few chips check and keep rolling a few feet further than I expected. For full shots it was pretty good though 6 iron and down it hit and stopped within about 1 foot and I'm not a high spin player. Ball is not very durable though, played 9 and the first one had some small scuffs and cuts so I chunked it in the water at 9. Played a second one for another 9 and kept playing it through another 18 (played 36 yesterday) and it looked terrible by the end of the round with 27 holes on it.

I tried the 20XI-X today for nine and was surprisingly pleased. I thought the distance was good, spin good, feel was like a rock but very similar to the Nike One Black back in the day. It didn't blow my mind but it was a short outing. More to come.
I will say going back to the HEX Black, I can definitely see why guys like it, feel is great, but too soft for me into greens and off the tee.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1332037706' post='4527599']
[/quote]

BB, give this years B330 a look, it maybe the answer you are looking for, it was for me. A different ball that previous models, I almost didn't try it, boy am I glad I did!
[/quote]

+1

Like an idiot(?) I went with Bridgestone's recommendations and played the 330RX a few rounds. It traveled OK but felt a bit "mushy" to me.

This past week I picked up a sleeve of B330. Now my SS with the driver is consistently right around 99 and the B330 is recommended for speeds above 105 which is the reason I first tried the RX.

Got EXCELLENT results from the B330. Excellent distance downwind AND into the wind. Nice action (drop and stop) off the irons/wedges and a nice firm-ish feel off the putter. Certainly enough performance to try the other 2 balls in the sleeve the next 2 rounds.

Maybe I've found my TM Red LDP replacement ??? :D

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1332293424' post='4546890']
[/quote]

BB, give this years B330 a look, it maybe the answer you are looking for, it was for me. A different ball that previous models, I almost didn't try it, boy am I glad I did!
[/quote]

+1

Like an idiot(?) I went with Bridgestone's recommendations and played the 330RX a few rounds. It traveled OK but felt a bit [b]"mushy" [/b]to me.

This past week I picked up a sleeve of B330. Now my SS with the driver is consistently right around 99 and the B330 is recommended for speeds above 105 which is the reason I first tried the RX.

Got EXCELLENT results from the B330. Excellent distance downwind AND into the wind. Nice action (drop and stop) off the irons/wedges and a nice firm-ish feel off the putter. Certainly enough performance to try the other 2 balls in the sleeve the next 2 rounds.

[/quote]

Mushy is new.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1332300750' post='4547876']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1332293424' post='4546890']

[/quote]

+1

Like an idiot(?) I went with Bridgestone's recommendations and played the 330RX a few rounds. It traveled OK but felt a bit [b]"mushy" [/b]to me.

[/quote]

Mushy is new.
[/quote]

Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,, Welllllllll,,,,,,,,,,,, yeah,,,,,,,,,,,, but *I* am not. :lol::lol::lol:

I hit the 20XI-x today and really liked it. It was similar to a ProV1x, but had a little more spin off my tee shots. I played a course with 6 par threes, 8 par fours and four par fives so I had a lot of different looks into the green and couldn't be happier. I had my long drive of the year with it and shot below my handicap. I will have to see if the extra spin off the tee warrants me moving from ProV1x, but one thing is for sure: I am done with the featherie HEX black.

Surprised at some of the negative posts on this ball. I have been playing this ball consistently since March 2, 2012.

For me, 105 swing speed with driver, this ball is longer off the tee with less side spin than the Pro vx.

It spins more than the vx off the irons and wdges than ithe pro vx and less than the pro v. Durability has been fine.

And it has been a very good wind ball. Two weeks ago my partner and I won a member guest in west palm beach florida playing this ball. The entire weekend was windy and rainy, but the ball performed.

There are so many good choices for balls, each golfer needs to test to see what is best for them. Funny thing is, golf is such a mental game, if you don't believe in your ball, no matter how well it statistically fits your game, you are doomed.

The Hex Black is an amazing ball, Callaways "spin separation" marketing claim is legit. I've yet to find a ball that has the Black's low driver spin combined with the Black's high approach spin. I believe many golfers are going to find this ball suits they're game well.

That being said, I've found the new Penta TP5 fits MY game better than Hex Black. There are two reasons for this; one, with my 100mph driver swing speed I find the softer TP5 easier to compress and therefore I get more consistent distance with TP5. Two, I generate a lot of spin on full short iron and wedge shots, and I find that the TP5 does a better job of controlling my approach spin, where as Black many times would over spin for me.

Other than that I've found both balls to perform very similar. Both a great at handling the wind, green side spin (bunkers, chips, low spinners, etc) and putting. I also find durability to be very good with both balls with the edge going to Hex Black, it just doesn't seem to scuff as easily as Penta TP5.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I love the feel of the ball for sure, but is too soft on full shots.

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1332591897' post='4569080']
The Hex Black is an amazing ball, Callaways "spin separation" marketing claim is legit. I've yet to find a ball that has the Black's low driver spin combined with the Black's high approach spin. I believe many golfers are going to find this ball suits they're game well.

That being said, I've found the new Penta TP5 fits MY game better than Hex Black. There are two reasons for this; one, with my 100mph driver swing speed I find the softer TP5 easier to compress and therefore I get more consistent distance with TP5. Two, I generate a lot of spin on full short iron and wedge shots, and I find that the TP5 does a better job of controlling my approach spin, where as Black many times would over spin for me.

Other than that I've found both balls to perform very similar. Both a great at handling the wind, green side spin (bunkers, chips, low spinners, etc) and putting. I also find durability to be very good with both balls with the edge going to Hex Black, it just doesn't seem to scuff as easily as Penta TP5.
[/quote]

yes i've played this ball a handful of rounds now and the hex black "spin separation" is the real deal...for me i'd say it spins too much with the wedges, and off the tee it doesn't spin enough, losing some carry...its a great ball but i dont think it works as good for my game as the prov1x does

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1332608023' post='4570286']
[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1332591897' post='4569080']

[/quote]

yes i've played this ball a handful of rounds now and the hex black "spin separation" is the real deal...for me i'd say it spins too much with the wedges, and off the tee it doesn't spin enough, losing some carry...its a great ball but i dont think it works as good for my game as the prov1x does
[/quote]

+1, but sub the 20XI X in for ProV1x, although I love that ball too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hex Black is the real deal.

I found it amazingly long off the tee, so much so that I had to pick new lines at my home course or simply club down and hit 3 wood instead/hybrid etc. It really holds in the wind, 3 out of the 5 rounds I've played with it were in 20-25 mph winds and I was blown away with how I could control irons into greens.

For me, it has the right amount of spin and the one hop and stop action I am looking for on approach shots. It seemed that the ball would end up about 3 feet from its pitch mark consistently from 140 and in and that is perfect..or closer.

Felt perfect off of the putter and durability is top notch, never been a fan of a Callaway ball until now.

16' M1 Fuji Pro TS 60x
915f 15* D+ 80x
915h 19* D+ 90x
Pro Black CB1 4-PW PX 6.0
RTX 3 50* S400
SM6 54*. 58* C Taper 120
Works Limited #7

Durability for me is sub-par. I've cut two balls that hit nothing but my club, and the fairway, or green. I also seem to notice that some of the hexes start to show a dark ring, like I have pressed the outside cover against the inside hex, or worn the paint/cover off the hex.

Whatever it is, I don't particularly like it.

That being said, the ball performs very well for me, but not really better than the 2011 Tour B330 or ProV1x to make a switch. I did give it a three dozen ball test period, to be sure.

I'm sure if they go on a huge 2 for 1 campaign to clearance them out, I will grab several dozen -- but other than that, I think my experiment with the Hex Black Tour is over.

[quote name='mgilly200' timestamp='1334002353' post='4686982']

I found it amazingly long off the tee, so much so that I had to pick new lines at my home course or simply club down and hit 3 wood instead
[/quote]

Wow !!! :o

20-30 yards longer off the driver ?!?!?! :blink:

Guess I'm gonna have ta run out and get me some of THOSE,,,,,,,,, :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

How does this perform with shots within 50 yards of the green, I tried the "iS" ball and found it to be lacking in the spin I was used to compared to a Pro V1 or Penta.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1334224152' post='4706378']
How does this perform with shots within 50 yards of the green, I tried the "iS" ball and found it to be lacking in the spin I was used to compared to a Pro V1 or Penta.
[/quote]

Chances are if you didn't like the iS short gamespin characteristics you won't like Hex Black either. However, you mention Penta did well for you, and I find the Black to be similar to Penta in short game spin for me.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I've been playing i(z) since it's introduction, and had the Hex Black Tour in my bag for three weeks. My SS isn't powerhouse fast either; guessing 100mph driver and strong enough to maintain club distances using PX Flighted and standard 6.0 shafts. Hex tour feels a bit softer, and has more spin then i(z), least around the greens. It seems a tad longer when struck properly. Miss-hits are about equal. I measure a ball by how it behaves in the wind, off my 2i and my "V" groove LW. Hex Black tour is better; how much, that's subjective. Still, for that reason I've already stocked up on them.

Recently I played a few difficult courses where 2-4 club winds and cold 40-50* temps were major factors. One day, the wind was so strong I used 2 iron off most tees to keep the ball under the wind. I am not sure whether it was the ball, my swing or what, but Hex was flying my normal distances despite wind influence; course some shots were screaming low. Hex tour was outstanding, and it really performed on Par 5 2nd shots. And, its very effective on undulated fast greens. Callaway did it again... me be a happy camper.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1331052589' post='4447993']
I tried the Black yesterday and it was really alot like the original Penta, not as long as current ProV1x, Nike Tour D. I played in windy conditions at the Jax Beach Muni Yesterday and it got knocked down on all of my shots. The claim that it is a good wind ball is false. I did think it spun like crazy although the greens were pretty soft. I backed up a 9 Iron on a par three about 20 feet, unfortunately away from the hole. I will say that it was the best feeling Callaway ball I have played, but I still have three sleeves waiting to be hot so more review is ahead.
[/quote]

Repeating what I said earlier - I played in 2-4 club winds and low temps recently, using Hex Tour Black. It performed really well; in some cases better then i(z), and well enough, I was still able to card a respectable round in under very difficult conditions. That said, when someone says wind claims are false, me thinks swing mechanics or ball striking was off or something else is a miss. What ever it was, it's not the ball's wind worthiness. That said, I seldom try to hit any ball as hard and as far as I can, especially in difficult conditions.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1334224152' post='4706378']
[/quote]

Callaway's Hex Black tour is more akin to ProV1X, which I use to play. My LW has "V" grooves - and I spin the hex really well, even with all my irons. Spin on short pitch shots is so much about impact and maintaining swing speed and proper follow though. I am amazed you struggled spinning the i(s) too. That ball spun way too much for me, reason I opted for i(z). Never liked the Penta either. Seems like its trying to be the every person ball. But, to each his own.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I just started playing golf seriously last year. I never noticed any difference between [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-balls.html"]golf balls[/url] until I just recently tried the HEX Black Tour [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-balls/hex-black-tour-golf-ball.html"]Golf Ball[/url] last week. WOW.... Its crazy how the ball looks like it actually grabs the green and spins perfectly. My chip shots and wedge play completely changed instead of being on the green I was able to actually aim for something close to the pin. I was shocked and it made me feel like I am becoming a better golfer because I am picky with my golf balls now.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1334253821' post='4708964']
I am not sure whether it was the ball, my swing or what, but Hex was flying my normal distances despite wind influence; course some shots were screaming low. Hex tour was outstanding, and it really performed on Par 5 2nd shots.[/quote]

I did notice this too, on pretty much any shot struck that was not a driver, wind had very little effect on my typical distance. Maybe +/- 1%, but certainly not what one would expect in 15mph head winds with a hybrid, 4i, etc.

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1334018395' post='4688698']

I found it amazingly long off the tee, so much so that I had to pick new lines at my home course or simply club down and hit 3 wood instead
[/quote]

Guess I'm gonna have ta run out and get me some of THOSE,,,,,,,,, :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
[/quote]

Okay Mr. Facetious, there are many factors that would cause me to switch a club, and the added distance is ONE of them, not the only one. They are considerably longer (in my opinion) than most of the tour balls I have played or tested, so I recommend you try them.

16' M1 Fuji Pro TS 60x
915f 15* D+ 80x
915h 19* D+ 90x
Pro Black CB1 4-PW PX 6.0
RTX 3 50* S400
SM6 54*. 58* C Taper 120
Works Limited #7

I picked up a dozen of these the other day, played 36 holes with them the past 2 days.

Shorter than the Z-Star XV I've been playing. Low spin off the driver like the Z-Star, but with increased spin on approach shots. Did not work too well for me in the wind though. Just seemed to balloon and fall well short. Which is a big negative, as my home course is always windy. The durability of the ball wasn't great either and seemed to scuff pretty quick.

Adams Launch Lab 8* w/ Matrix 7m4 Black Tie
Adams Super LS 15* w/ Axe Xcalibur Tour
Adams CB1 3-PW w/ PX 6.0
Yururi Gekku 53, 57, & 61 w/ PX 6.0
NeverCompromise Gambler Straight

[quote name='mgilly200' timestamp='1334266851' post='4710338']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1334018395' post='4688698']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay Mr. Facetious, there are many factors that would cause me to switch a club, and the added distance is ONE of them, not the only one. They are considerably longer (in my opinion) than most of the tour balls I have played or tested, so I recommend you try them.
[/quote]

Ridiculously exaggerated claims sometimes make forums like these worthless.

If you're trying to tell me, all things being equal, you gained 20-30 yards (as you insinuate) with the Hex Black over another "tour" ball, I'm sorry but I'm calling shenanigans. :hi:

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1334283692' post='4712028']
[quote name='mgilly200' timestamp='1334266851' post='4710338']

[/quote]

Ridiculously exaggerated claims sometimes make forums like these worthless.

If you're trying to tell me, all things being equal, you gained 20-30 yards (as you insinuate) with the Hex Black over another "tour" ball, I'm sorry but I'm calling shenanigans. :hi:
[/quote]

+1 on that. What was the old ball that it gained 20-30 yards more?