Minnesota wrx's?

whysguy

[quote name='heavybladed' timestamp='1332037878' post='4527633']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1332037005' post='4527517']
It was 80 degrees in MSP today. Played Hudson Golf Club, Hudson, WI. The new ownership has got to be the rudest in the business. Course is in great shape, but their marketing strategy and pricing will destroy this formally great venue. Here was the parking lot today at noon on a Saturday. When I played today, other than my group, I did not see another human. It was literally like I rented the course. My dad and I played very slow and finished in about 2:45.

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you, there is only one car in the parking lot.
[/quote]

Thanks for the updates ZINGER, I didn't play today because I figured I wouldn't even be able to get on. I guess I should have made a run to Hudson :fool:
[/quote]
I think they could have squeezed you in next to the white car.
[attachment=1075563:xxx.jpg]

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1331867611' post='4517279']
FYI: Played Oak Marsh today, and it's in terrible shape and considerably wet. Avoid for a month at least.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I was toying with the idea of starting the season there but I'll wait now.

Hey does anyone have any tips for me to get on Interlachen or Hazeltine this year? I feel that I've played the majority of the great courses in our state but these two have been eluding me too long. Obviously they are private but will just a big chunk of cash pull the strings? Let me know if you guys have any advice. I'm just dying to play Hazeltine after watching the 09' PGA. Thanks!

[quote name='norley' timestamp='1332056259' post='4528641']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1331867611' post='4517279']
FYI: Played Oak Marsh today, and it's in terrible shape and considerably wet. Avoid for a month at least.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I was toying with the idea of starting the season there but I'll wait now.

Hey does anyone have any tips for me to get on Interlachen or Hazeltine this year? I feel that I've played the majority of the great courses in our state but these two have been eluding me too long. Obviously they are private but will just a big chunk of cash pull the strings? Let me know if you guys have any advice. I'm just dying to play Hazeltine after watching the 09' PGA. Thanks!
[/quote]
Sure! Hudson is just 15 minutes from Oak Marsh, and is in EXCELLENT shape. Give it a shot, I have a feeling it's not going to be around much longer. No shagg on the greens, they are rolling true!

It was 80 degrees in MSP today. Played Hudson Golf Club, Hudson, WI. The new ownership has got to be the rudest in the business. Course is in great shape, but their marketing strategy and pricing will destroy this formally great venue. Here was the parking lot today at noon on a Saturday. When I played today, other than my group, I did not see another human. It was literally like I rented the course. My dad and I played very slow and finished in about 2:45.

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you, there is only one car in the parking lot.

I can't say I liked Hudson when I played. Just didn't fit my eye or something. There are some courses that I LOVED south of that course though. There is at least one that got a 4.5 out of 5 in Golf Digest and another one down that way I played but I can't remember their names.

Just grab a cart and go out. Seriously. tongue.gif

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

MNWRXers, check out this link. $100 for two rounds down at the Jewel in Lake City MN. Easy 1 hourish drive south. This is one of my top 3 favorite course in MN and is ALWAYS in great shape at the beginning of the season. It will play slower early in the year, but is a great track for a weekend trip down south. No, I don't work for the course. I have just been there around 10 times over the past few years and it has not dissapointed once.

[url="http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/twin-cities"]http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/twin-cities[/url]

[url="http://www.jewelgolfclub.com/"]http://www.jewelgolfclub.com/[/url]

Enjoy!

http://www.rochesterconnection.com/index.php/advertisers/golf.html

Here's a link to some amazing deals... :) Not all the best courses, but still nice deals. For example:

132_1_the-jewel_0312.jpg135_1_dodgecountry_0312.jpg

133_1_zumbrota-golf_0312.jpg

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Anybody see those ads they keep running in the [i]Pioneer Press[/i] about Kilkarney Hills membership for $89.00 this season, or something like that? What's that all about? ???

I've played there I think a long time ago but can't remember it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Finally got my first 18 in. Was doing alright after nine at +2 (37) but went ape on the back tripling a relatively easy 5 with a snap hook and doubled both par 3s. Finished the back +10 and shot an 82. Oof. russian_roulette.gif Should have been a 75, maybe 77.

First round though and almost my entire bag was new stuff, some of which I hadn't even hit yet. Made a couple birdies though and had some amazing up-and-downs.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

• 2 weeks later...

FYI-

Mention the Rochester golf show special on the phone, and The Jewel will give you 18 and cart for $40 now-April15.

Went Monday, and there was literally 2 other groups on the course... 2.5 hours for 18 holes.. And it was in AWESOME SHAPE!

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1333798800' post='4670026']
FYI-

Mention the Rochester golf show special on the phone, and The Jewel will give you 18 and cart for $40 now-April15.

Went Monday, and there was literally 2 other groups on the course... 2.5 hours for 18 holes.. And it was in AWESOME SHAPE!
[/quote]

Very nice. Any specifics we need to mention, or just that we'd like the Rochester golf show special? I've been wanting to play here...

Just call out there and talk to the pro..

Another deal they run in the summer (during prime rate): Gas Card special.

If you bring a foursome: They knock your rate down from $84 to 64 each and give you 1 $25 KWIK TRIP gas card for the driver.

[quote name='JMac02' timestamp='1333855265' post='4674944']
[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1333798800' post='4670026']
FYI-

[/quote]

Very nice. Any specifics we need to mention, or just that we'd like the Rochester golf show special? I've been wanting to play here...
[/quote]

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

Went out to my muni yesterday for a few and the course was blowin' the breath it turned out my breath was hotter than the wind by a long shot. It was soooo cold, but nothin' I ain' used to growing up East Side and lifer of East Side hockey, but it shocked me a bit. Par'd the fist four but then a QUAD with another again snap hook. I swear I knock the huge hole and I am a consistent middle handicaper and 75er shooter.

God bless.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='norley' timestamp='1332056259' post='4528641']
[/quote]
I can't remember exactly what they call it but for the past few years there's been a special called "Golf in Chaska" or something like that. It includes 18 at Hazeltine, 18 at Chaska Towncourse and a box lunch. It takes place in early September I believe.

If you call the Towncourse and get on their mailing list you'll get a notification about it. If you get the notification you have maybe 24-48 hours to call in and book it, it sells out pretty quickly from what I hear. Last year I tried calling about 4 days after getting the email, wasted time trying to get a foursome together willing to pay the money, and by then it was sold out.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='venand' timestamp='1329753645' post='4331577']
[quote name='rlheiman' timestamp='1329745370' post='4330651']
[quote name='venand' timestamp='1329712442' post='4329187']
Looks like this topic has frozen over with the MN winter....March is just around the corner. I am hopeful we will see golf courses opening soon!

A little off topic, any recommendations for golf destinations within a 6 hour range of the twin cities? My buddies are thinking of heading to Des Moines after going to South Dakota (freaking amazing), Brainerd Lakes area and Duluth the past 3 years. Please let me know if we are doing the right thing going to Iowa.....

Also, do you guys ever get together?
[/quote]

Where did you go in South Dakota?

Iowa has some nice courses, and at a 3 hour drive to Des Moines you can actually do a day trip down and back.
[/quote]

We hit up the South Dakota Golf Trail (not sure if that is what it is called). Basically you pay $150 (without cart) to play the Bully Pulpit, Links of North Dakota and Hawk Tree. It is quite a drive to say the least. We spent 1/2 of our trip in the car and half of it golfing. As bad as that was I would do it again in a second. The courses were fantastic.

Links of North Dakota: Awesome links style course. Probably the most authentic links style I have ever played. Apparently they moved very little earth when building the course to give it the feel of an actual links course. Views were great. We walked the course and did fine. We tried to walk that one knowing we would be riding the Bully Pulpit.

Bully Pulpit: Really dissapointed, but not because of the holes we played. They had a ton of flooding last year and basically all of the lower holes were closed. The positives, we were able to play all of the really fun senic holes on the back nine twice! I can't wait to go back and play a full round. I just talked to the manager at the MN golf show. They said they will be ready for play very soon. This was definitily the most senic. Some great views and elevated tee shots. Played my best round there and ended up birdiing #16 twice. It is a tricky litttle par three and I just got lucky. Stole some cash from my friends in the 2 club.

Hawk Tree: At the beginning of the trip I thought I would have liked this course the best. One guy we met on the way out told us we would put it #3 by the end of our trip. He was right. Great course and very challenging. Some really good golf holes, but it just didn't compare with the Links or the Bully Pulpit.

I'll try to post some pictures this week. We have some incredible views from Links and Bully. I would highly reccomend this trip with the caviat of driving and frustration in finding a hotel room due to the oil boom.

Cheers,

Andrew
[/quote]

I took this same trip but it is to NORTH Dakota not SOUTH. I agree that the courses were great! It's called the "Triple Challenge" and it was $150 for all three rounds. It is quite a bit of driving so we took a RV from the Cities that one of my buddies owns. I will say, that is the best way to manage this trip with 1-2+ hour drives in between the courses. We also played all of the courses twice to make it worth all of the driving.

I agree with all of the reviews of the courses but I would rank Hawk Tree above The Links of North Dakota.

Here are a few photos from the trips...[attachment=1146500:IMG_1014.jpg][attachment=1146502:IMG_1039.jpg][attachment=1146498:IMG_1077.jpg][attachment=1146496:JustinOn14.JPG][attachment=1146504:IMG_1080.jpg]

Ping Woods, Irons and Wedges
Cameron Phantom X9.5

lol, is that your pet goat coming along for the trip? crazy.gif

lol, yeah maybe I should have explained that one...at Hawktree GC they have a like 10 - 15 mountain goats that are in a pen by a tee box. The second time we played the course, they released the goats and they were all over this hole. A very weird thing to see on the golf course. This was the only photo I got...

Ping Woods, Irons and Wedges
Cameron Phantom X9.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heading to the Jewel today for at least 27 holes. Course is in great condition.

When making a teetime, be sure to ask about any "specials" They are usually pretty good about finding something for you.

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

• 4 weeks later...

Headed up north on Friday to play a few rounds at Black Bear and then back down to Minnesota National, Never played either course, Any tips or suggestions about either?? Plus if you have played them recently how are the conditions? Thanks in advance.

Taylormade R1 10.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams Speedline VST 18*
Bridgestone J40 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 50,54,60*
Odyssey Metal X #6 35"

[quote name='Fatsack540' timestamp='1346027998' post='5539615']
Headed up north on Friday to play a few rounds at Black Bear and then back down to Minnesota National, Never played either course, Any tips or suggestions about either?? Plus if you have played them recently how are the conditions? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]I'm going to be driving right past there maybe when you are playing. Heading to Duluth and then Northwest to Hibbing to meet family. I've driven by Black Bear many times but never played it. Looks great. My advice is enjoy it :)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1346073341' post='5541813']
[/quote]I'm going to be driving right past there maybe when you are playing. Heading to Duluth and then Northwest to Hibbing to meet family. I've driven by Black Bear many times but never played it. Looks great. My advice is enjoy it :)
[/quote]

Well we got room for one more at Noon on Friday if you wanna swing in and play a quick 18, We have talked about playing there for awhile now and I am excited to get up there and lose a few golf balls!!!

Taylormade R1 10.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams Speedline VST 18*
Bridgestone J40 4-PW
Odyssey Metal X #6 35"

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1346043145' post='5540979']
Bring some extra balls for Black Bear. Seriously, there is fairway then forest and the fairway seems to always slope into the forest. Great course for the money. Enjoy it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Zinger, I have played quite a few tough courses up north and have a feeling I might be bagging the driver and hitting a lot of safe shots off the tee.

Taylormade R1 10.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams Speedline VST 18*
Bridgestone J40 4-PW
Odyssey Metal X #6 35"

[quote name='Fatsack540' timestamp='1346108508' post='5545283']
[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1346073341' post='5541813']
[/quote]

Well we got room for one more at Noon on Friday if you wanna swing in and play a quick 18, We have talked about playing there for awhile now and I am excited to get up there and lose a few golf balls!!!
[/quote]Thanks for the offer. My game is honestly trash right now seriously. But just for the heck of it, what are the greens fees anyway there?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='Fatsack540' timestamp='1346108632' post='5545299']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1346043145' post='5540979']
Bring some extra balls for Black Bear. Seriously, there is fairway then forest and the fairway seems to always slope into the forest. Great course for the money. Enjoy it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Zinger, I have played quite a few tough courses up north and have a feeling I might be bagging the driver and hitting a lot of safe shots off the tee.
[/quote]
Let us know what you think, but I feel it's one of the tightest courses in the Nort.