2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

[quote name='c5driver' timestamp='1332286837' post='4546074']
I'm sure it is some where in this thread but I don't have the time to read it completely.

What is the best type of paint to use?

A playing partner that I have suggested "Airplane Dope" for model airplanes. It just seems that might be a little thick?

Car touch up paint possibly???

Thanks!
[/quote]

Personally I like nail polish.

Dries fast, hard as nails (ha), cheap, readily available in millions of colors, super easy clean up, super easy to work with.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='HuckleBogey_Finn' timestamp='1296109913' post='2928622']
Acetone does not get all the paint off all the time. The paint fill in my AP2's and lacquer based paints were pretty much immune to the acetone. Even with overnight soaks with 90% acetone and 10% mineral spirits. The tal-strip is super fast and doesnt require much brushing to get all the paint out.
[/quote]

Any pics of the AP2s? I just did my vokeys and was considering some kind f work to my AP2s.

tal strip was not available at home depot, so I bought some citristrip gel. Left on my back up set of irons and current gamer wedges. 30 minutes did nothing to the paint fill. So I put on and left it for 5 hours....after scrubbing with a soft wire brush, still have paint fill. On my vokey wedge, it only faded colors--the old red paint is now a light pink. The only places it seemed to work was on the sole numbers, but even that wasn't completely removed... On my cleveland wedge after 5 hrs? Absolutely nothing.

So I have re applied and am going to leave it overnight, but in case this doesn't work, anyone know where to get tal strip in Dallas, tx area?

I went back and exchanged for the quick strip brand? The only other they had available. Worked on my irons, wedges and tee 3w. Other than the Cleveland...still white haha. Any thoughts? Also, the tee 3w that I stripped, it now seems there are parts of the sole that are "unfinished" I thought it would be like the irons, where everything has a finish with paint fill on top. Apparently that is not the case. I put stripper on the entire sole, because I wanted that monotone metal finish. Any thoughts on how to clean this up? Is there a way to polish the sole? I'm not necessarily looking for shiny, just trying to get rid of the "unfinished" look and feel

[quote name='ibeanr6' timestamp='1332344502' post='4549910']
[quote name='HuckleBogey_Finn' timestamp='1296109913' post='2928622']
Acetone does not get all the paint off all the time. The paint fill in my AP2's and lacquer based paints were pretty much immune to the acetone. Even with overnight soaks with 90% acetone and 10% mineral spirits. The tal-strip is super fast and doesnt require much brushing to get all the paint out.
[/quote]

Any pics of the AP2s? I just did my vokeys and was considering some kind f work to my AP2s.
[/quote]

You should search for deemo's stripped ap2's, no paint at all in the numbers or cavitys, they look 100000 times better

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

What about paint filling a driver/woods with painted sole? I.e the R11 (I did see the R7 pic on here that had a grey/titanium sole and looked to come out OK) Will acetone, tal strip,or whatever else you use remove the white sole paint along with the the paint in the numbers? Also, anyone have any ideas on repainting,touching up the black front of sole? Scratched up a bit, I am a digger and sometimes hit the turf a bit when going to a lower/stinger type on windy days.

Thanks.

[quote name='rocket21' timestamp='1332872581' post='4592766']
What about paint filling a driver/woods with painted sole? I.e the R11 (I did see the R7 pic on here that had a grey/titanium sole and looked to come out OK) Will acetone, tal strip,or whatever else you use remove the white sole paint along with the the paint in the numbers? [b]Also, anyone have any ideas on repainting,touching up the black front of sole? Scratched up a bit, I am a digger and sometimes hit the turf a bit when going to a lower/stinger type on windy days[/b].

Thanks.
[/quote]

good luck with that, even professional refinishers wont refinish the front edge of the sole.

nice work, looks much better

Winter here in the midwest gives a person way too much time to tinker with things. After seeing another post about changing an R11 driver, I just could not help myself. Changed the "R" to black instead of red and the "11" to grey instead of black. Also striped the sole plate and put a brushed finish on it before filling with black and clear coating. Oh, and added a little grey to the small "T" and refilled the white "aylormade" to make it pop just a little more.

standard.jpg

Sorry about the crappy phone pics but the wife has the good camera for the forseeable future. Once this was done, the rest of the bag looked pretty ragged so I set out to bead blast the PINGs and do a whole new paint scheme. Pics to follow soon.

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

Great post. Love it! Thanks!

I have a question Does anyone have an idea how the finish on a SC Detour 2 will hold up. It almost seems like a painted gray. I'd love to remove it all and paint it all black, or chrome it, blue gun metal, or oil torrched finish and then paint the sites. How would I do that? Anyone have suggestions or thougths?

[quote name='ajm1555' timestamp='1332978888' post='4601881']

I have a question Does anyone have an idea how the finish on a SC Detour 2 will hold up. It almost seems like a painted gray. I'd love to remove it all and paint it all black, or chrome it, blue gun metal, or oil torrched finish and then paint the sites. How would I do that? Anyone have suggestions or thougths?
[/quote]

I love that idea!!! Here's my gamer. I sent mine to a guy i saw on ebay "CrawdaddyGolf" to get done but depending how your painting confidence is probably not too hard to do yourself...

Callaway GBB Rogue 10.5* Aldila Rogue I/O Silver-60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood Aldila Rogue Black-80
Taylormade 2009 Rescue 3 hybrid Aldila Rogue Black-85
Callaway Apex CF19 Forged Black - Project X 6.0 Blackout Hardstepped 
Callaway MD4 54*W/58*X - Dynamic Gold TI S400 Onyx
Scotty Cameron GoLo S Mid 33”
Vice Pro Plus

How does everyone get the overflow paint off? i put paint thinner on paper towel and wipe fast with little pressure to wipe it off without digging into the filled areas, i've done it before with little issue, but i tried it on my ghost corza and got horrible smudging, the paint just spread around on the putter and i couldn't get it off, is there a secret to getting rid of the overflow? frustrating the crap out of me.

is thinning the paint before i put it on the answer? how do i do that? mix paint thinner with the paint in the bottle?

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

[quote name='OtisNY' timestamp='1332986555' post='4602885']
[quote name='ajm1555' timestamp='1332978888' post='4601881']

[/quote]

I love that idea!!! Here's my gamer. I sent mine to a guy i saw on ebay "CrawdaddyGolf" to get done but depending how your painting confidence is probably not too hard to do yourself...
[/quote]

OtisNY, that's about 100% what I want. Way better than the original finish and great sight lines too. You've got to tell me more. How does the finish hold up? What did he charge you? I need details, thanks for the pic.

[quote name='Wdwfreak' timestamp='1332989339' post='4603231']
How does everyone get the overflow paint off? i put paint thinner on paper towel and wipe fast with little pressure to wipe it off without digging into the filled areas, i've done it before with little issue, but i tried it on my ghost corza and got horrible smudging, the paint just spread around on the putter and i couldn't get it off, is there a secret to getting rid of the overflow? frustrating the crap out of me.

is thinning the paint before i put it on the answer? how do i do that? mix paint thinner with the paint in the bottle?
[/quote]

try waiting for the paint to dry then using acetone free nail polish remover. the key is waiting for it to dry.

[quote name='Onyx Z' timestamp='1332991442' post='4603521']

[/quote]

try waiting for the paint to dry then using acetone free nail polish remover. the key is waiting for it to dry.
[/quote]

Alright i have paint thinner which is basically non acetone nail polish remover maybe i will just try the nail polish remover. , but are we talking 10 minutes? 25? Hour? Or like a whole day?

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

[quote name='Wdwfreak' timestamp='1332994677' post='4603857']
[quote name='Onyx Z' timestamp='1332991442' post='4603521']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright i have paint thinner which is basically non acetone nail polish remover maybe i will just try the nail polish remover. , but are we talking 10 minutes? 25? Hour? Or like a whole day?
[/quote]

an hour or two should be fine depending on the type of paint. i use tamiya; after an hour or two its not dry enough to touch but dry enough to clean up the area around it.

Can you use the same method to get the paint out on oil can vokey's or will it mess up the finish?

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

Worked great on my wedges. They used to be white lettering and red callaway. Always hated red because of a rival university, and the white had no pop. Filled it with my Alma Maters blue and touched up the white.. Also did a stamp for my old number when I was playing ball. :) Turned out great. Thanks for the tips!
[attachment=1100827:paint fill wedges.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

What started as a search for the type of paint to use to touch up the sole numbers on my irons, turned into complete disdain for the boring red paint on my Cameron. A quick trip to the local craft store and a couple of hours of trial and error later - I have a sweet looking Newport 2.5 with Emerald Green and White accents.
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing some great information!

after reading through this thread and the other R11 ASP plate customize thread I decided to give my boring R11 a makeover....I recently switched to an RBZ shaft as I like the light weight feel and length on them and considering the shaft is black/green I decided to keep that color scheme with the head. Probably not the most preferred color combo but I like how it came out and its nice for it to be a little different....

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

thanks for the great write-up!!!

Experimented a bit on my 60* Cleveland... I used enamel Testors paint And I filled over the white paint instead of removing it first... I bought Acetone but did not apply it to this wedge. Gonna take it out and see how the paint holds up after a few swings through the dirt first.

For the people who removed the paint from the R11 ASP plate... How did you do it? I soaked mine in Acetone for like 4 hours last night and it didnt do anything to it... I'm gonna head to a hardware store later for some Tal-strip if I can find some...

I was just going to add the use of paint pens. I've personally used the Sharpie paint pens (they come in both oil and acrylic) and think the oil holds up well. They don't have the micro tips like the ones above, but they are easy to use and work really well, either as touch up for sky marks, or for filling in spots. I primarily used them for my refinished woods for the part on the bottom that was larger areas, but too small to spray paint.