2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wind ball please

T.Beau

from TP Red LDP to Tour iZ to ?????
Any help for me pls in finding a new ball?

By far, the most impt aspect is to find a ball that pierces the wind and is not so high launching. i live by the beach where it is almost always windy. I;m a high ball/high spin player. i play to a 3.8 but dont have the batspeed i used to have. not crazy about the pro v1x.

Went from the TP red LDP when they became hard to find in mint condition to the Callaway Tour iZ. I can still find the last version of this ball (i didnt like the earlier one), think it is great in the wind, but I;d like to find a ball w. less compression like the TPRed LDP. anyone????

ps. i am aware that walmart has the tp red ldp and that it is not the same ball as what folks here loved.

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent a lot of time with most of this years premium balls.

At first I thought the Z Star XV was the closet thing to Red LDP. However, I can tell you without a doubt, the 2012 Bridgestone Tour B330 is as close as it gets... Period. If you have tried Bridgestone in the past, forget what you know, because this years ball is a different animal. Soft yet solid feel, strong piercing trajectory off the driver, shallow decent that has all kinds of roll-out, and controblable spin into the green. Oh yea, and as far as the wind goes... Forget about it... Because the B330 does!

By the way, all the same things can be said about the new Callaway Hex Chrome, however this ball is a higher launching counterpart.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

i too am playing the following balls (in order) consistently and there's a ton of wind where i play

Cally Tour IZ (have 7 dozen left)
Srixon Z Star XV

both played INTO the wind

i am also a high trajectory, high spin player and play their spinner counterparts with the wind behind me. don't ask me why it just works for my game

Cally Tour IS
Srixon Z Star

yesterday i played a round in 20+ winds and played the Z Star XV ball next to the 2012 Bridgestone B330 mentioned in this thread. while both balls played similar with the bigger sticks and wind (actually almost identical), the B330 seemed to lack around the green with pitch shots. a little too much roll out for my liking.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

and i missed your main question: less compression. that's a tough question for me to answer as i haven't had too much trouble compressing many balls out there but it feels like the new HEX Chrome balls are easier to compress than most.

however, even though they may hold too much spin for your liking, Tour IS and Z Star seem to compress rather easilly

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

Was listening to the Dean Snell Podcast discribing the PENTA TP5. Seems like the ball you want to try in wendy condition. Half way through the interview he mentioned they took some spin "off" the TP5 when compare to the original PENTA TP. This was so that the better players could get to pin placement near the back of the greens. One unintentional benefit of lowering the spin of the ball was that it performed much better in the WIND. Might one to give the new PENTA TP5 a try.

[quote name='ed27063' timestamp='1332184249' post='4537153']
Was listening to the Dean Snell Podcast discribing the PENTA TP5. Seems like the ball you want to try in wendy condition. Half way through the interview he mentioned they took some spin "off" the TP5 when compare to the original PENTA TP. This was so that the better players could get to pin placement near the back of the greens. One unintentional benefit of lowering the spin of the ball was that it performed much better in the WIND. Might one to give the new PENTA TP5 a try.
[/quote]

i played the TP5 vs. The Hex Black for a round a week back. and while I'd agree on the claims of the TP5 playing much better in the wind vs. its previous version, I wouldn't call it an easier to compress ball. In my opinion, it performed the best when I really went after it on full swings. It played better (for me) than the Hex Black. However, the Black ball held its flight well in the wind too. Not as much for me vs. the TP5, but check the threads here - the Black ball is getting a ton of high fives for it's wind performance from other posters. Then again, some are claiming its a *hard ball.

thanks for the input. it;s hard to keep track of all the versions of these balls. i think the hex pattern on the callways' actually works well for the wind. to that end, i just ordered a dozen hx tour balls from lost golf balls thinking that will be a good starting point...it seems to suit my needs based upon what i;ve read.

the bstone 330's werent good for me in the wind, but i havent tried the newest ones. the old Penta ball spun way too much w. the driver and all full swings. perhaps the newest versions are better,....if i like the hx tour, i;ll just stock up.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

FYI - the 2012 B330 line is light years better in the wind than any of their previous versions.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I've found the Penta TP5 to easily be the best ball to play in really windy conditions. G-bone mentioned the new Bridgestone B-330 being a great golf ball and I agree 100%. I have been testing this ball out as of late and have hit some really nice approach shots with my irons. The ball flies on a lower flight path than the Pro V1x but seems to have similar greenside spin. Off the driver the ball is long - as long if not longer than the Pro V1x or Callaway Tour IZ. I even like pitches and chip shots with this ball. Durability is strong too. Congrats to Bridgestone they engineered a great ball - i second G-bone's comments about it. I haven't played this ball on a windy day yet but so far i'm very impressed. I have been playing the B330, Pro V1x, and Penta TP5 as of late. I like them all.

The best wind ball I have ever played is the Callaway Tour ix. I'm sure if you look around if you can find a few dozen of these. They seem to just pierce through the wind on drives, and, for me at least, they are one of the easier balls to flight they I have played. The tour iz is similar, but I find the ix to be a little better. I love the Pro V1x, but it just has the tendency to balloon on me a little bit in the wind.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

My experiences have been that it depends on the combination of driver and ball. Was a die hard ProV1x player with my HiBoreXL and Razor Hawk drivers. Started playing The Z Star XV which carried and rollout farther in wind on these drivers. Around the greens, ProV1x still out performed the two. The 20XI was the worst on these off the tee but comparable to the ProV1x around the greens.

Next, enter my VR Pro II Limited Driver, and the 20XI out performs all three balls off the tee. Finally, arrived at the Hex Black!!!! Incredible ball on all of my drivers. Long!!! I normally play coastal courses with 15+ winds and heavy atmosphere. Easily 290-310 off the tee into the wind! Performs great around the greens and has about a 2.5 round durability rating for me. Z Star XV has the best durability rating for me, however. Avoiding cart paths, I'd say a 4+ round durability rating.

Overall (off the tee, around the greens, and durability), I think Callaway, with the Hex Black, has a winner, IMHO.

My specs, last time in an official launch monitor about a year ago, 117 swing speed with 170 avg ball speed. Back spin, I forget, I think near 2000-2200.

[quote name='Williams5203' timestamp='1332764287' post='4582014']
The best wind ball I have ever played is the Callaway Tour ix. I'm sure if you look around if you can find a few dozen of these. They seem to just pierce through the wind on drives, and, for me at least, they are one of the easier balls to flight they I have played. The tour iz is similar, but I find the ix to be a little better. I love the Pro V1x, but it just has the tendency to balloon on me a little bit in the wind.
[/quote]

I really liked the iX ball as well. it plays softer than the iZ and really does pierce the wind. not sure why, but they are harder to find than the older hxtour and hx tour 56. the cover wasnt durable at all for me on the iX. i played the hxtour and hxtour56 today in very windy conditions and they both worked well with the conditions. slightly softer than the iZ, and pierced the wind nicely and didnt get carried away in side winds. great spin from close range. not a higher launching ball like so many do for me... i;ve played longer balls, but liked the hx tour a lot. but i;m going to look for the iX ball as well,,.that plays longer for me..,thanks for the reminder.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

Hex Black Tour or Chrome.

I tried both a couple of weeks ago in 30mph gusts, 20+ steady, best wind ball I can remember playing, and I still have 4 doz new TP Red LDPs.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

The Callaway iX was the best wind ball to date. The new callaway Tour Black is a very close second. I give iX the better rating, because I thought it was more durable. Both cut through the wind without ballooning.

However, I will warn you that with lofted clubs, playing down wind, you do not "gain" distance, since they tend to get knocked down. You just have to adjust for that fact.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1332968264' post='4600759']
The Callaway iX was the best wind ball to date. The new callaway Tour Black is a very close second. I give iX the better rating, because I thought it was more durable. Both cut through the wind without ballooning.

However, I will warn you that with lofted clubs, playing down wind, you do not "gain" distance, since they tend to get knocked down. You just have to adjust for that fact.
[/quote]

i am extremely surprised that you pick the iX ball over the Black in terms of durability. i had some good time with the iX and it was not anything near what i would call durable. in fact, the only premium ball i would say had less durability than it was a proV1. otherwise, every other premium ball on the shelves has has held up better. comparing the Black to the iX is a shame - the Black ball can take cart paths and or trees without too much of a minor blemish - same with the chrome.

Why cant these companies just make these names simple? With all the Zs and Xs and Is, etc. I get confused. So I just ignore Callaway and Srixon all together.

V1x doesn't get the job done. I am actually surprised that Titleist hasn't produces a better ball yet.

Looks like the new 330 and TP 5 are the way to go. Which one feels softer off the putter?

[quote name='skaarsgard' timestamp='1332182827' post='4537015']
i too am playing the following balls (in order) consistently and there's a ton of wind where i play

Cally Tour IZ (have 7 dozen left)
Srixon Z Star XV

both played INTO the wind

i am also a high trajectory, high spin player and play their spinner counterparts with the wind behind me. don't ask me why it just works for my game

Cally Tour IS
Srixon Z Star

yesterday i played a round in 20+ winds and played the Z Star XV ball next to the 2012 Bridgestone B330 mentioned in this thread. while both balls played similar with the bigger sticks and wind (actually almost identical), the B330 seemed to lack around the green with pitch shots. a little too much roll out for my liking.
[/quote]

I live in Oregon high desert where its usually windy and these are exactly the four balls I use depending on conditions and time of year. Good choices!

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1333464746' post='4638489']
Why cant these companies just make these names simple? With all the Zs and Xs and Is, etc. I get confused. So I just ignore Callaway and Srixon all together.

V1x doesn't get the job done. I am actually surprised that Titleist hasn't produces a better ball yet.

Looks like the new 330 and TP 5 are the way to go. Which one feels softer off the putter?
[/quote]

To me, they both feel good off the putter, yet different.

The TP5 is simply soft and responsive, but not mushy. Very close to Pro V1 (not x) in my opinion.

2012 Tour B330 is firm off the putter, but not at all clicky. You can tell it has a firm core with a soft cover, and it gives great feedback if that's something you're looking for.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

+1 for the Tour IX..some of my longest drives ( downwind and into the wind) with this ball...some other good balls I found were the Burner TP and the TP Black...killed some Prov1Xs too for some premium ball action

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

I've found the cally iZ's to be very good wind balls (using prov1x previous). Lower than the proV's and receptive on the green. Had a go with the Bridgestone e7 on recommendation, they fly low and long off the driver, easy to put with, but iron shots and short game suffer with this ball. Was spinning my proV's but the e7 can get 3-5 yards run after landing on the green! I'd say the cally iZ's are a safe choice for playing in the wind.

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1332178809' post='4536635']
I've spent a lot of time with most of this years premium balls.

At first I thought the Z Star XV was the closet thing to Red LDP. However, I can tell you without a doubt, the 2012 Bridgestone Tour B330 is as close as it gets... Period. If you have tried Bridgestone in the past, forget what you know, because this years ball is a different animal. Soft yet solid feel, strong piercing trajectory off the driver, shallow decent that has all kinds of roll-out, and controblable spin into the green. Oh yea, and as far as the wind goes... Forget about it... Because the B330 does!

By the way, all the same things can be said about the new Callaway Hex Chrome, however this ball is a higher launching counterpart.
[/quote]

Plus 1 on this post. Hey this is part of what the dual dimple is all about.

Hex Black Tour, B330s are very solid.

The new Cally's are string straight against cross winds and bore right through headwinds.

Being in DFW we get some wind, too.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I've been under the impression that even though the Pro v1x spins less, it has a higher launch. I could have sworn that is on the box.

a different thread here.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/549397-prov1x-launches-higher-and-spins-lower-than-prov1-off-the-driver/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...off-the-driver/[/url]

EDIT:

Just saw this on my facebook, and it happens to talk about this

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2012/04/11/getting-to-the-core-of-titleist-golf-balls.aspx