For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

Read! Important before posting. Sponsor by Flightscope
Hi you all!

This topic/post are sponsor by FLIGHTSCOPE! ( One of the best golf Launch Monitor in the market ).

I've noticed a lot of you guys asking for a help in picking up the shaft or grinds. However, a lot of you guys didn't give us enough detail info on your swing and existing shaft set up. We will be able to help you much better if you can provide us as much as possible info:

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month?
How often you practice in a month?
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please.
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability?
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?
11. Body build and postures? height? etc.
12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)
13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
14. etc. The more the better it become.

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft?
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine?DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.
4. What is your existing complain on your current set up?
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem?
6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade?
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day?
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where?
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter?
10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?
11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? 5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )?
12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players
13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players
14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)
15. How tall are you?
16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker?
17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players?
18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing?

Wedge Fitting Questionnaire:

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? on 6 iron
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!
3. What is your existing complain on your current set up?
4. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem?
5. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players
6. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players
7. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH 8. How tall are you?
9. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? Short or long divot? trapper, driver or slider?
10. Do you do a lot of low pinch/trap spinner shots?
11. Do you a lot of flop shots? What club you use on these shots?
12. Do you adjust face angle or ball position on your shots, especially of full shots?
13. Do you consider very creative on your shots around the green or trying to be as simple as possible on your shots?
14, What is your striking ability scale 1 - 10?
15. Any particular technique or method you like to tell me on your wedge game?
16. Tell me about your course turf condition, design, average green speed, Green size and undulation, etc?
17. Which PGA player that you like on their wedge play style?

Bare in mind, No shaft is better than the one fit your swing profile...No matter what the cost is!!!

IMHGO Exotic shafts have a very distinctive feel and character and they have a tighter quality control. So if you ask me to copy a certain set up that you like, It's most likely easier for me to get it from a better quality controlled shafts. Some feel player can only go w/ a certain brand due to these feel and character.

NO! I'm not crazy to fit some one w/ an exotic expensive shaft only, even though i'm more comfortable working w/ them. I'm very open minded limited to what i know only of course ( Usually on popular brands only ). I will do my best to give every body enough options to chose from. To many shaft brand out there, i can't keep up...So i only try to keep up w/ the popular one only.

So help us to make our job easier and more effective to help you.

Thanks a million!

Regards,
Joe Kwok :vava:

ps: If I missed anything here, any body can help me to add some comment THX!

Disclaimer:
To whom it may concern, Please do not copy my questionnaire nor modified with the same core. I hope we can set a high standard code of ethic and respect.

For you who need help directly from me by email or PM, please read this post first:

http://www.golfwrx.c...h...ic=41987

Hi you all,

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, but I was having a
hard time on how I have to put the words together to make sure you all
understand my good intention. Trust me, I really want to make every body happy as much as I can.

As you guys all know I've been trying my best to answer all questions you have regarding club fitting, shaft character, modification, etc...I will definitely continue to do so. So far I have no problem up to this point, however I can see the trend is on the up slope.

As most of you know, I am involved with this site in taking
care of some of the operation of it. Also I have a heavy work load ( not only
on clubs but emails and PM ) and also not to forget that taking care
of my family is my 1st priority. I've come to realize that I have a
lot of PM and emails that aren't productive and steal my precious time
not to be able to serve you who really need my attention and who spend
money & time w/ me for my expertise & service. Don't get me wrong
here, if I do have time I would love to answer all your question and
even talk BS w/ you guys. I'm sure my long time customers and friends knows how I am on this. smile.gif

So what I'm trying to do on this post is to make members understand
that if I haven't or can't answer any one of you who send me PM or
Email...I'm busy working to serve my friends and customers at my best
for what they've paid me for. IMO it's not fair if I have to reduce my
attention to those who are willing to pay me to get their stuff done fast and correctly.

So I beg you guy who just need to ask some questions to just post it
here on clubmakers folder or domestic folder and let some of the
members help you w/ your question, and yes I will try to monitor them
as much as I can to correct or give another opinion for you to understand more.

Of course, I'm encouraging you who are really serious and need my
service to email me at [email protected] and Yes! most of you who got my phone number can call me during my phone fitting/consultation hours to discuss your needs
effectively. Please state clearly on your email or PM your
seriousness to get help through my service, so this way I can see what
and who that I need to put them in a high priority to answer.

Every body who knows me knows that I love talking about golf and every
aspect of it, but yet I should not forget to see clearly what is the priority. So I hope you understand if your email or PM took me a while to answer your question/s or if I may not be able to answer it at all in the future. I personally apologize in advance if I do so.

Thanks for your attention and Happy Golfing!

Cheers!
Joe Kwok smile.gif

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Joe,

I want to find a good 3 wood shaft.

I have a sonartec ss 02 14 degree 3 wood.

I am a 3 hc but probably playing to like a 6 or 7 right now.

swing speed with a 3 wood 97 on the launch monitor.

driver swing speed 100-103

I have a quick tempo.

I was wondering what would be a good shaft for my 3 wood. I would like the swing weight around d2.

My current driver is a r 510 tp 9.5 retail with the speeder 757.

I have had it for almost 2 years, I love the feel but I think I have to much spin on the ball with this setup.

average driving deistance is 250.

I am 5'6 so i wanted my 3 wood about 42 inches long. I purchased the sosnartec on ebay with the vissta pro 80 in regular flex.

I figured i would cut an inch off and everything would be perfect. I thought cutting an inch of the butt would stiffen it up. But now it is worst than before all shots go way right and the feel is horrible.

I like the way this wood sets up and I would like to find a shaft that works good at about 42 or 42.5 inches while maitaining a d2 swingweight.

help please. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joe,

I want to find a good 3 wood shaft.

I have a sonartec ss 02 14 degree 3 wood.

I am a 3 hc but probably playing to like a 6 or 7 right now.

swing speed with a 3 wood 97 on the launch monitor.

driver swing speed 100-103

I have a quick tempo.

I was wondering what would be a good shaft for my 3 wood. I would like the swing weight around d2.

My current driver is a r 510 tp 9.5 retail with the speeder 757.

I have had it for almost 2 years, I love the feel but I think I have to much spin on the ball with this setup.

average driving deistance is 250.

I am 5'6 so i wanted my 3 wood about 42 inches long. I purchased the sosnartec on ebay with the vissta pro 80 in regular flex.

I figured i would cut an inch off and everything would be perfect. I thought cutting an inch of the butt would stiffen it up. But now it is worst than before all shots go way right and the feel is horrible.

I like the way this wood sets up and I would like to find a shaft that works good at about 42 or 42.5 inches while maitaining a d2 swingweight.

help please. Thank you

Sorry! I missed your post.

Please cut and paste your questions and send it to my [email protected] and we'll go from there and talk on the phone to discuss the best options for you.

THX!

Joe

• 4 months later...

Hello Joe; First time post for me here. My question concerns shafting of of an existing club head. I am presently using an Adams Ovation 10.5* 460cc offset driver. The shaft is a Aldila 65gm, high launch, low kick pt, in a regular flex. (no other info on shaft) The club has tungsten weights in the heel, and center of the club head. I hit this club in the center of the club face 99% of the time, while hitting about 70% of the fairways I use it on. My swing speed is at 95+/- mph average, and I average about 230 yards off the tee with this club. Ball speed is 137mph, launch angle is 14*, side angle is 2.6* right, back spin is 2317 rpm, side spin is 455 rpm right. Swing weight is D-1. I also have a very slight out to in swing path. My handicap fluctuates between 8-10.

Here is my question. I have an Tour Edge, JMax CF 460, 9.5*, no offset driver with a steel shaft. I have no idea what the specs of the shaft are, as this club was purchased out out of a barrel at the local pro shop. What I want to know is would the same shaft I am using on my Adams driver be a good fit for me on this CF 460 driver? With the CF 460 I tend to push the ball right, and can also slice it with the best of them. However, that being said, my problem is the CF 460 gives me about 30 yards more distance even with the poor ball flight. Basically what I am looking for is the extra distance with this CF 460, but want the better accuracy I get with my Adams. I am getting up there in age (62) , so the extra distance would come in quite handy. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks in advance...... Patch

• 4 months later...

Is this thread still open? I'd like to get some help choosing a new shaft for a driver...

Please cut and paste your questions and send it to my [email protected] and we'll go from there and talk on the phone to discuss the best options for you.

THX!

Joe

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 month later...

Hi Joe

I'd like to ask what kind of shaft you'd recomend for me.

Currently I've got a Ping G2 10* with the Aldila NV65 Stiff shaft, stock swing weight i guess, and standart length with Multi compound grip(5 layers of tape)

My tempo is kinda high but a little bit to the smooth side. My swing Speed lies between 114 and 119 mph, (depends on how much i swing).

I'm playing in hcp 11, but that's only because of my short game. My swing is fairly consistent with minute changes sometimes.

My problem is quite simple, Iøm hitting the ball to high in the air and it just goes in an extreme hook.

I know my Swing Speed(approx. 114-119 mph) and ball speed(approx. 155-165 mph) i don't know my spin rate or my launch angle.

I'd like to hit the ball a little lower and avoid always going out to the semi in the left side of the course, said differently, I want to hit the ball straiter and a little lower.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe

I'd like to ask what kind of shaft you'd recomend for me.

Currently I've got a Ping G2 10* with the Aldila NV65 Stiff shaft, stock swing weight i guess, and standart length with Multi compound grip(5 layers of tape)

My tempo is kinda high but a little bit to the smooth side. My swing Speed lies between 114 and 119 mph, (depends on how much i swing).

I'm playing in hcp 11, but that's only because of my short game. My swing is fairly consistent with minute changes sometimes.

My problem is quite simple, Iøm hitting the ball to high in the air and it just goes in an extreme hook.

I know my Swing Speed(approx. 114-119 mph) and ball speed(approx. 155-165 mph) i don't know my spin rate or my launch angle.

I'd like to hit the ball a little lower and avoid always going out to the semi in the left side of the course, said differently, I want to hit the ball straiter and a little lower.

MOst likely you need a lower loft w/ stiffer flex.

BUt to make sure everything, I would like to have a phone fitting w/ you if you wish to go further.

Let me know!

Joe

[email protected]

• 2 months later...

I currently have a Titleist 905S 9.5 loft stiff graffalloy blue standard length

Swing speed is 90-95mph

Slower takeback, strong swing through

Handicap is 15

Not much of a problem with the existing setup but my misses are generally hooks.

Ball speed on monitor is about 130-135mph

I am going to upgrade to a Titleist D2 and I'd like a more forgiving shaft. I don't care much about workability with my driver. I want it as straight as possible.

PXG 0211 Driver  Tensei 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 GEN5   3 Wood 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 XF 22* hybrid Tensei AV Raw White 75 XStiff

Srixon Z585 6 thru P KBS C-taper S+

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  48*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  52*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Kyoei KK RRC 56* wedge True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Vega VW-06 brushed 60* FST KBS Tour 105

Piretti Elite Black Cortino  KBS CT Tour Putter shaft  

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a Titleist 905S 9.5 loft stiff graffalloy blue standard length

Swing speed is 90-95mph

Slower takeback, strong swing through

Handicap is 15

Not much of a problem with the existing setup but my misses are generally hooks.

Ball speed on monitor is about 130-135mph

I am going to upgrade to a Titleist D2 and I'd like a more forgiving shaft. I don't care much about workability with my driver. I want it as straight as possible.

Test all the driver that you are thinking of buying and print out the LM result and email it to me.

We'll discuss it on the phone after and go from there.

Joe

Finally got LM results :drinks:

Im looking for a new driver and visited a golf store and tried a demo callaway ft-3 with 10 loft and an aldila nvs-55 s flex shaft. Didn't bring my own because im looking for an ft-5. Results was as follows

Clubhead speed: 104 mph

Ball speed: 147 mph

Spin: 2665 rpm

Launch angel: 13,4*

Side: 195 R

Carry distance: 236 yards

Couldn't hit the driver in the center, so results was from a strike made just below center clubface.

I tried a few shots and all launch angels was from 11,5* to 13,4*

Can I achieve extra distance by swithcing to the 10,5* with the stock fujikura E360 S shaft (Ft-5 tour)?

Ill be looking after the FT-5 Tour, so what based on the LM results would be the best shaft/loft combo for me? I am a smooth tempo swinger but not so tall about 5f 6".

My hcp is 3 and my swing is consistent to about an 8.

Hope you can help in the quest for a new driver :ok:

Finally got LM results :drinks:

Im looking for a new driver and visited a golf store and tried a demo callaway ft-3 with 10 loft and an aldila nvs-55 s flex shaft. Didn't bring my own because im looking for an ft-5. Results was as follows

Clubhead speed: 104 mph

Ball speed: 147 mph

Spin: 2665 rpm

Launch angel: 13,4*

Side: 195 R

Carry distance: 236 yards

Couldn't hit the driver in the center, so results was from a strike made just below center clubface.

I tried a few shots and all launch angels was from 11,5* to 13,4*

Can I achieve extra distance by swithcing to the 10,5* with the stock fujikura E360 S shaft (Ft-5 tour)?

Ill be looking after the FT-5 Tour, so what based on the LM results would be the best shaft/loft combo for me? I am a smooth tempo swinger but not so tall about 5f 6".

My hcp is 3 and my swing is consistent to about an 8.

Hope you can help in the quest for a new driver :ok:

I would try w/ 9.5 or 10, mid kick shaft or 10.5 w/ high kick shaft depending on your skill level. Ideal numbers for a pro is not always the best for us too. The lower the spin rate, the harder to hit the ball straight. Lot's of factors need to be consider to pick the right number for every individual.

JOe

Hi Joe

Thank you for your swift reply.Im trying to work out the difference between a 10* loft with a mid kick and 10,5* with a high kick (face 0,5* open). Is there a difference? And if there is, how significant is it? Are we talking about 0,5* in launch or less/more?

The problem is that here in Denmark, its not possible to test every driver with every shaft, i wish i had the option. So based on that im asking these perhaps silly questions. :drinks:

It was pure coinsidince i tried that ft-3 this afternoon, it made me very curios... hope you can clarify there few questions. Thanks again

Karsten

Result wise probably not that much but feel and control would be the bigger issue IMO.

Looking at your handicap, I'm assuming that you should have no problem hitting the ball lower of the tee...If that is the case, I would rather go w/ higher kick point shaft w/ higher loft. IMO I would rather missed it on the high side than low side, as long as you have a better control swinging the club.... Make sense?

Just my 2 cents!

Joe

Hi,

Doing this a little backwards but wondering if you think the new driver I just bought will be a good fit. I've only hit it indoors (live in Toronto) but it feels nice.

The new driver is a 10.5* Callaway FT-3 Tour Draw with Matrix Altus stiff shaft.

These are numbers from the Callaway performance centre using a Callaway FT-3 with aldila NVS-55 shaft.

Club head speed -- 95.40

Ball Speed -- 142.40

Launch angle -- 12.00

Back Spin -- 2800

side spin -- 600

Handicap Index 7.0

Good drives -- straight

slight misses -- fade

misses -- right, but rarely wild

thanks,

jon

Result wise probably not that much but feel and control would be the bigger issue IMO.

Looking at your handicap, I'm assuming that you should have no problem hitting the ball lower of the tee...If that is the case, I would rather go w/ higher kick point shaft w/ higher loft. IMO I would rather missed it on the high side than low side, as long as you have a better control swinging the club.... Make sense?

Just my 2 cents!

Joe

It makes perfect sense, I have no problem obtaining a low ball flight so I'll go with the high kick and 10,5* thanks alot Joe!!!

Hey there! Hopefully you can help me...I just got a R7 460 TP 8.5 degree with the fujikura rombax 75 X shaft(is that a good shaft?) all the standard specs from the factory, I have a slightly quick tempo(swing speed 110 to 120), I'm a 2.5 handicap and I've never had a lauch monitor session or a club fitting before. I will tend to hit my drives lower instead of higher. I hit the club pretty well but it feels just a little unstable to me, sometimes the ball will spray way left or right. I have a aldila nv protopype 85 X in my 3wood and that shaft works very well for me. So because my swing speed is pretty high, I just want a shaft with more control without losing a lot of distance. I was thinking of trying the proforce V2 85 x, what do you think?

1st, Get your self on a launch monitor to get the number.

From what i've read here, it looks like you need to go w/higher loft, stiff tip shaft, heavier shaft, etc, etc.

We can talk later on pin pointing on what shaft and how are we gonna install it to get it as close as possible for your needs.

Any shaft is good if they are fitted properly. There are no bad shaft out there IMO. The bad one is the fitter. (cool)

Email me if you are seriously need to work on the club to build it at least better than what it is.

THX!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Hi you all!

I've noticed quit a bit of you guys asking for a help in picking up the shaft. However, a lot of you guys didn't give us enough detail info on your swing and existing shaft set up. We will be able to help you much better if you can provide us as much as possible info:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

8. etc.

The more the merrier basically.

Bare in mind, No shaft is better than the one fit your swing profile...No matter what the cost is!!!

IMHGO Exotic shafts have a very distinctive feel and character and they have a tighter quality control. So if you ask me to copy a certain set up that you like, It's most likely easier for me to get it from a better quality controlled shafts. Some feel player can only go w/ a certain brand due to these feel and character.

NO! I'm not crazy to fit some one w/ an exotic expensive shaft only, even though i'm more comfortable working w/ them. I'm very open minded limited to what i know only of course ( Usually on popular brands only ). I will do my best to give every body enough options to chose from. To many shaft brand out there, i can't keep up...So i only try to keep up w/ the popular one only.

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Joe Kwok :)

For you who need help directly from me, please read this post first:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=41987&hl

Hey Joe,

I had talked with you a while back about the tour concept shafts. I now have a question about driver shafts and what I should do about my existing driver. I am in the process of changing my status from a professional to an amatuer. I have been a professional golfer for 15 years and I am getting out of the business, heading back to college to finish my degree and play some amatuer golf. I have played in 1 PGA tour event (Doral 2001) and my low round is 63, low tournament round is 64. I have an idea about what I am talking about, but you seem to be an expert in the field of club repair and shafts and whatnot, so to be honest I would rather get an expert opinion on the matter. I was on TM staff last year and have been down to the "Kingdom" on three ocassions. They had fit me for a TM 425 TP 9.5 open 1-1.5 deg. 65 gram x flex rombax TP shaft. Now since I am not playing as much and I am sure my swing will suffer somewhat, I am curious as to what you with regard to some shaft/driver options for me. I am going to sell my tour issue TM (B and T stamps), and get a new "more forgiving" driver. Here are my stats and thank you for your help.

Driver Speed: 109

Ball Speed: 155-160

tempo: Mid-quick

Handicap: plus-scratch

Problem: leaving some balls right and feel like I am working to get the distance that I am used to

New club: want some more forgiveness/consistency seeing as how I will be playing less

Fittings: Kindom fitting at TM tour range/ No special Lie angles...1 up on irons.

Tendency with driver is to hit a little high, fairly high spin rate, although reduced with the TP. Old driver was a 905s with a stock fuji speeder and it tested as a x with a really bad spin rate.

Thank you for any help that you could provide. I appreciate it.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Hi you all!

I've noticed quit a bit of you guys asking for a help in picking up the shaft. However, a lot of you guys didn't give us enough detail info on your swing and existing shaft set up. We will be able to help you much better if you can provide us as much as possible info:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

8. etc.

The more the merrier basically.

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Joe Kwok :)

For you who need help directly from me, please read this post first:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=41987&hl

Hey Joe,

I had talked with you a while back about the tour concept shafts. I now have a question about driver shafts and what I should do about my existing driver. I am in the process of changing my status from a professional to an amateur. I have been a professional golfer for 15 years and I am getting out of the business, heading back to college to finish my degree and play some amateur golf. I have played in 1 PGA tour event (Doral 2001) and my low round is 63, low tournament round is 64. I have an idea about what I am talking about, but you seem to be an expert in the field of club repair and shafts and whatnot, so to be honest I would rather get an expert opinion on the matter. I was on TM staff last year and have been down to the "Kingdom" on three ocassions. They had fit me for a TM 425 TP 9.5 open 1-1.5 deg. 65 gram x flex rombax TP shaft. Now since I am not playing as much and I am sure my swing will suffer somewhat, I am curious as to what you with regard to some shaft/driver options for me. I am going to sell my tour issue TM (B and T stamps), and get a new "more forgiving" driver. Here are my stats and thank you for your help.

Driver Speed: 109

Ball Speed: 155-160

tempo: Mid-quick

Handicap: plus-scratch

Problem: leaving some balls right and feel like I am working to get the distance that I am used to

New club: want some more forgiveness/consistency seeing as how I will be playing less

Fittings: Kindom fitting at TM tour range/ No special Lie angles...1 up on irons.

Tendency with driver is to hit a little high, fairly high spin rate, although reduced with the TP. Old driver was a 905s with a stock fuji speeder and it tested as a x with a really bad spin rate.

Thank you for any help that you could provide. I appreciate it.

Dan

Cut and paste and email me to [email protected] and i'll give you my contact info and we should discuss it over the phone to understand what you are thinking and give you the recommendation after.

THX!

Joe

Hello Joe,

I´m from Austria/Europe and in my area there are no prof.clubfitter, LM and offer of premium shaft

(diamanas,etc are not available). Therefore I must order these shafts in US.

I wanna reshaft my Srixon W-506

Loft 10.5, R-flex, SW D 2, 45"

swing: smooth takeaway, powerfull downswing

Ballflight: Low tee-low/medium High tee-Medium high

hcp: 8

problem: when I load the shaft really hard I´m sraying, esp.right, but very seldom loosing the ball

SS: 105+

My irons are 1/2 inch longer , 1° flat

I´m thinking about diamana white 63 S-because the smooth feeling. Thanks for your help.

Hello,

with smooth downswing 240m=265 yards, with powerfull downswing about 270m=300 yards. The ballmarks on my driver

are all dead center or near dead center. Typical my balls are straight.

The shaft is a Srixon stock shaft SV 3004 by mitsubishi rayon 57g, 4.3 torque. Basically i´m very satisfied with the performance and the R-flex - I think-brings length.

On the other side -I think - I have a twisting problem, because my misses are going straight away and on the last 20% right-

but no typ. slice or light push-slices.

That´s all I can inform you.

Thanks

Hermann

• 1 month later...

Alright... my turn at it.

A little background. I am a 100% feel/tempo player with the advantage of being 6'2" and can hit plenty when I need to. My problem is that I just got a Superquad 9.5 stiff stock shaft. I LOVED my previous TM 425 9.5 Aldila NVS regular flex driver. I dont know why it worked that way, but I really hit the regular shaft in the Aldila much better that any of the stiff shafts I've tried. I say I dont know why because my swing speed is in the 105mph range.

Anyway... here's the setup...

1. TaylorMade Superquad - 9.5 degree, stiff stock shaft and grip.

2. Absolutely a smooth, feel, tempo swinger

3. Handicap - 6 or 7

4. Problem - need a little more "feel" from the head and I tend to pull it when I miss. The ball flies straight, but I just pull it.

5. swing speed = approx. 105 mph, launch angle = 12-14 degrees, ball speed = have to check on that, spin rate= 2500-3000 rpms?????

6. simply trying to get some consistency and feel of the club head where it is in the swing.

7. consistency - 7 or 8 out of 10

Alright... let me know what you think!

Thanks!!!!

Alright... my turn at it.

A little background. I am a 100% feel/tempo player with the advantage of being 6'2" and can hit plenty when I need to. My problem is that I just got a Superquad 9.5 stiff stock shaft. I LOVED my previous TM 425 9.5 Aldila NVS regular flex driver. I dont know why it worked that way, but I really hit the regular shaft in the Aldila much better that any of the stiff shafts I've tried. I say I dont know why because my swing speed is in the 105mph range.

Anyway... here's the setup...

1. TaylorMade Superquad - 9.5 degree, stiff stock shaft and grip.

2. Absolutely a smooth, feel, tempo swinger

3. Handicap - 6 or 7

4. Problem - need a little more "feel" from the head and I tend to pull it when I miss. The ball flies straight, but I just pull it.

5. swing speed = approx. 105 mph, launch angle = 12-14 degrees, ball speed = have to check on that, spin rate= 2500-3000 rpms?????

6. simply trying to get some consistency and feel of the club head where it is in the swing.

7. consistency - 7 or 8 out of 10

Alright... let me know what you think!

Thanks!!!!

Base on what you tell us, You need a sub flex shaft (S/R ) or at least soft S flex and slightly stiffer tip design w/ enough swing weight to gain feel on where the head is and maybe even a hair heavier shaft for over all feel and control IMO.

Joe- I am just wondering if you can give me some advice where to start. I currently hit a Cleveland Comp 460 9.5deg with a Diamana Blue Board 73, stiff flex. I usually hit the ball around 285 when I do not miss it, 300 yards up here in Salt Lake City.

I was just on a launch monitor last weekend

Average swing speed 102 mph

Average ball speed 150.4 mph

Launch angle 12.8

Ball Spin 2561

My tempo is on the faster side, but not the fastest you have ever seen

I tend to hit the ball pretty straight with the driver, but draw my irons.

Handicap - 13, but mostly bacause I have no short game, I swing like a single digit

Consistency - 8/10

I think that I swing harder on the course than I do on the monitor hitting into a net.

I am hoping to get a new higher MOI driver, and I really like the FT-5 - just want some idea where to start looking at shafts.

Thanks

Frank

The only thing i can see here is to have a little more higher launch angle.

If you are a smooth swinger, you'll be fine w/ an S flex but if your swing is aggressive enough to a point that you are loading the shaft pretty well...you'll probably need S/X for better control. However, going w/ a stiffer shaft will slightly lower the ball flight also if you chose the same blue board.

So it looks like depending on how you load the shaft. You can go with a lower kick point shaft compare to the blue board S flex and tipped it properly to get an SX flex ( ie: Red board ). The tipping will bring the kick point slightly higher and tighter torque, but yet still lower than your blue board so still have a higher ball flight result that you need...this way you'll be most likely lift the ball higher w/ same or similar spinrate. Look also on how you tee up the ball see if you need adjustment to get the right launch condition. Especially if you have a faster type tempo.

Bare in mind that every head are different, so you need to get on the monitor for any head you are trying to play. I was talking about your cleveland comp driver.

Good Luck!

Joe