Puppetmaster WITB & Course Pictures

[quote name='Aitch' timestamp='1331443664' post='4480589']
Solid bag. I really liked the razr x forged when I was demoing them. It was a close call between them and the cobras that I'm playing now.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the tour z. I think it could be a great fw shaft with the more responsive tip (compared to thd tour proto).
[/quote]

Thanks man. The Razrs were a "gift" from WRX to review, and weren't even on my radar, but they are a solid set and still allow me to make a combo set with my X-Protos. I really like the Razr long irons in terms of performance and forgiveness.

The Tour Proto in the driver will be the first to be set up, in another Razr Hawk Tour head, to compare against my Ahina. Still waiting on another Diablo Edge/Octane Tour head for the 3W, and once that's delivered, I'll have the Tour Z put in. My current MRC set ups are essentially perfect, but I just needed to try the Tour Z line head to head. :D

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I resent that! lol.

To be honest, I go thru the WITB every now and then and I only look at the names I recognize. Glad to see the x100's are getting some game time b.c lord knows your satin's are in my 712's!!

Quick reply on the call out btw, pretty solid Cally bag. I'm waiting for some stuff in the mail and I'll have an update...

[quote name='Aitch' timestamp='1333979380' post='4684036']
Do you play a hybrid more than a 5w?
[/quote]

Yeah, I do. This is the first 5W I've tried in years and it isn't working out and will probably be on the BST soon. Distance is too close to the 3W and it's too large of a gap between my 4 iron and even 3 iron. It's also too hot going into greens, although I did hit a 234 yard uphill par 3 and it stuck, but I don't think that will be the norm. Maybe if I cut it down an inch and had a higher launch/spin shaft, but if that's the case, might as well just bag a hybrid. The 9031SF has worked well for me, and I'm actually contemplating trying a 19* A12 for more forgiveness (not the XTD or the Pro, just the standard one with the slot) with a spare Thump I have lying around. Basically, I'm looking for the "perfect" hybrid - compact, yet forgiving, without any sort of draw bias. Spin isn't an issue because IMO that can be addressed by getting the right loft and shaft and just adjusting length accordingly.

PS - I get to pick up my RHT with Tour Proto today. :partytime2:

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1333979851' post='4684102']
Hey I resent that! lol.

To be honest, I go thru the WITB every now and then and I only look at the names I recognize. Glad to see the x100's are getting some game time b.c lord knows your satin's are in my 712's!!

Quick reply on the call out btw, pretty solid Cally bag. I'm waiting for some stuff in the mail and I'll have an update...
[/quote]

Haha, me too. I assume if the satins are in the bag, then you like them, good to hear that. The X100s are working well thus far, I've always played DG and they just seem to work for me.

I may have a few general questions on Vokeys for you at some point. Looking at ordering some TVDs or 200s.

And thanks for the compliment. I actually have a couple new things coming in myself, so there may be an update sooner than you think. :D

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Aitch' timestamp='1334504363' post='4725480']
I'm liking the all black. My brother-in-law plays the CB1's and I've had a chance to play a couple of rounds with them. They're a solid set of irons. It would be hard for me to chose which of your sets to play!

Have you had a chance test out the RHT/Tour Proto combo yet?
[/quote]

I'm hitting the CB1s just okay, not sure what it is. They set up so pretty and I want them to work, but performance doesn't quite match. Maybe I just need to readjust to the KBS Tours; I used them just fine when they were in my X-Protos. Haven't hit the Accra yet, as I mentioned in my PM. Hope to get to the range this week though.

Toulon Palm Beach

The hybrid battle is back on again... Adams 9031SF vs A12, both with Diamana Thump. Love them both, the 9031 is a touch more precise, but the A12 is more forgiving and versatile.

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

And for anyone interested, I posted this in another thread:

Update: was able to get out this morning for 18, even though it was 45 degs, windy and soggy, and made sure to hit plenty of the A12 and I'll tell ya'll this is a solid head. It launches pretty high for me, but that's something I don't mind really. The 19* A12 with Thump launches higher than my 9031SF 20* with Thump, shafts are untipped in both (I tried tipping a Thump once but can't bring that kind of heat), but it isn't high, ballooning flight, it's high and flat. I hit a couple that did get caught in a crosswind, but that's totally on me trying to fade in a right to left wind only to get double crossed left. Anyway, the impact sensation feels great to me, springy and powerful feel, without being overly harsh. There's enough feel to just tell where you catch it. The 9031SF, retail Pro Black, and A12 Pro don't feel as springy on flushed shots; they feel softer in a way, and definitely don't feel as hot. Overall distance on flushed shots is actually pretty similar despite the feel difference, but I think where the A12 will be better is on the slight mishits. The A12 is definitely what I was looking for in terms of the added forgiveness and impressive thus far. Heel to toe size isn't considerably larger than the 9031, which I like, and it feels heftier and is easier to hit out of bad lies. The 9031 might have a slight edge off the tee though, there's an element of precision there that the A12 doesn't quite have, but a miss with the 9031 is going to be larger. Sorry for rambling, but first impressions of the A12 head are good, as you can tell.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1335328537' post='4785260']
Great additions! Everything.. top notch!
[/quote]

Thanks! Nothing too exciting, but really just small tweaks here and there. The only thing left now really is the driver - I'm looking for a higher launching shaft or higher lofted head, or both. I'm loving the RHT + Accra, but it is slight low in terms of launch and apex.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1335365705' post='4786884']
[/quote]

Thanks! Nothing too exciting, but really just small tweaks here and there. The only thing left now really is the driver - I'm looking for a higher launching shaft or higher lofted head, or both. I'm loving the RHT + Accra, but it is slight low in terms of launch and apex.
[/quote]

I am gaming a very similar combo, having the same low flight, and am also looking to raise launch/spin. Keep us updated on what route you go.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

PM, you mentioned that the A12 is more versatile than the 9031. How so? Easier off the tee and fairway? Easier out of good and bad lies? Or D. all of the above? Lol. I'm thinking about adding a true hybrid and I'm looking at my options. The last hybrid I played was a V1 PNT with a Matrix Ozik Infra...never should have sold it!

Have you talked with Mike lately? Is the timing going to work out for you to help with the testing for his website? And the Razr Fit was surprisingly good. I sent you a PM about it. I need to tell Mike thanks.

The A12 is easier to hit, period. I liked it off the tee, fairway, and even from "bad" fairway lies when the ball wasn't sitting pretty. Haven't had a chance to hit it from the rough, but the head feels heavier and I'm sure the extra mass and more cambered sole will help. The one thing it lacks is that it is more like a blunt instrument that just wants to go high and straight, vs the 9031, which seems more precise if you want to try to work the ball. The A12 is workable left and right, but I feel like you have to exaggerate it a little more to make it work. Then again, these days I'm pretty much looking for blunt instrument to get me inside a 10-20 yard window anyway, definitely not the type of player looking for 10 foot fades 30 feet off the ground to a pin tucked back right over water and sand. If you like the PNT V1, you will like the A12 or even A12 Pro. I had a 16* and 22* V1 previously and the A12 plays very similar, larger head, but feel and versatility is there. Again, the biggest reason I got the A12 is because it was smaller than some other hybrids I'd tried previously - TM 2009 Rescue, Adams V3, 9033HF, Ping G10, yet still with lots of forgiveness compared to the other compact heads like the 9031 and A12 Pro.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1335372325' post='4787594']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1335365705' post='4786884']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am gaming a very similar combo, having the same low flight, and am also looking to raise launch/spin. Keep us updated on what route you go.
[/quote]

Impulse buy alert - picked up a Razr Fit 9.5* on a whim. :)

Will play it square vs the 1 deg open of the RHT, which should add a touch more launch, and I'm also looking at a higher launching shaft like a Fubuki, DI, Attas, etc. If that doesn't work, I'll get a 10.5* head, wash, rinse, repeat. At a recent fitting, I got great numbers with a 10.5* Fit, which is really what I was looking for, but I got a good deal on the 9.5* and can always trade with someone else later.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1335549724' post='4801410']
[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1335372325' post='4787594']

[/quote]

Impulse buy alert - picked up a Razr Fit 9.5* on a whim. :)

Will play it square vs the 1 deg open of the RHT, which should add a touch more launch, and I'm also looking at a higher launching shaft like a Fubuki, DI, Attas, etc. If that doesn't work, I'll get a 10.5* head, wash, rinse, repeat. At a recent fitting, I got great numbers with a 10.5* Fit, which is really what I was looking for, but I got a good deal on the 9.5* and can always trade with someone else later.
[/quote]

Hahah! I guess you couldn't pass up a good deal, that is what I always tell myself.

I am stuck between getting a higher launch shaft such as the DI/Attas or biting the bullet and getting a higher launching head. The G20 is appealing but haven't found a deal I couldn't pass up yet.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I'm gaming the 9.5* RAZR Fit with a Fubuki Tour Shaft in it. I just put it in the bag. Launches a little high, but the ball rolls forever when it lands. Found the Fit to be very forgiving too. Matt fitted me for it at Golfdom. Did he fit you in the GDI shaft?

Edit: I hate impulse buying. Wanted to finally pick up an R11S too.....but didn't.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

Should be doing some testing this week with a 9.5* head... keeping my fingers crossed that my schedule doesn't change. Weather is supposed to be good at least.

And yes, Matt at Golfdom recommended the DI-7, it had the best numbers compared to the Ahina and Fubuki Alpha, but I really liked the feel of the Fubuki. Not to mention, the Fubuki AX 85 in my 3W has been awesome and has been in the bag for over a season now, which is a long time for me. Also hit a Kai'li and VTS Silver, but neither was a good fit.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1335790876' post='4814306']
Should be doing some testing this week with a 9.5* head... keeping my fingers crossed that my schedule doesn't change. Weather is supposed to be good at least.

And yes, Matt at Golfdom recommended the DI-7, it had the best numbers compared to the Ahina and Fubuki Alpha, but I really liked the feel of the Fubuki. Not to mention, the Fubuki AX 85 in my 3W has been awesome and has been in the bag for over a season now, which is a long time for me. Also hit a Kai'li and VTS Silver, but neither was a good fit.
[/quote]

I find that the RAZR Fit launches higher than most stock offerings, typical of Callaway drivers. But Cally drivers are sure easy to hit. The 9.5*, Fubuki Tour 63 combo still launches high, but generates some serious distance. Apparently, the TM R11S is at the other end of the driver spectrum and is a low launching head. If I do an impulse buy, I'd have to get 10.5* in the R11S.

Have you tried on the Adams Super XTDs yet?

Not interested in the XTD line yet because I'm very happy with my current FWs. Did demo this bad boy though...

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

That was my first go with a white headed club and I almost bought it on the spot...

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1335839817' post='4820868']
That shaft is no joke.. looks cool too :)
[/quote]

Yup, but after some testing, I think I'm going with something a little "easier" like the DI, Attas Elements, or Fubuki K for the Razr Fit. Stay tuned for "The Decision". Just kidding.

Toulon Palm Beach

J, When they issue the list of GolfWrx club ho's you shoudl be near the very top. Maybe not in the quantity of clubs you have, but certainly the quality and great pics. Very Cool!! One of these days we'll get togther and I'll actually see some of those in person!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1336159703' post='4849388']
[/quote]

Yup, but after some testing, I think I'm going with something a little "easier" like the DI, Attas Elements, or Fubuki K for the Razr Fit. Stay tuned for "The Decision". Just kidding.
[/quote]

I guess that means you are already gaming an R11S?

I find that the R11s swings a little easier than the RAZR Fit due to the stock D4 swing weight.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1336160530' post='4849514']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1336159703' post='4849388']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess that means you are already gaming an R11S?

I find that the R11s swings a little easier than the RAZR Fit due to the stock D4 swing weight.
[/quote]

No, I never pulled the trigger on the R11S. Still gaming my RHT with Accra, but have a Razr Fit too. The Fit has a Made for Callaway RIP from the RHT, which I'm actually hitting pretty well, LOL. Go figure.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1336160193' post='4849450']
J, When they issue the list of GolfWrx club ho's you shoudl be near the very top. Maybe not in the quantity of clubs you have, but certainly the quality and great pics. Very Cool!! One of these days we'll get togther and I'll actually see some of those in person!!
[/quote]

LOL, darn, that's a rep I never wanted... but... just... can't... help... myself...

Toulon Palm Beach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice RAZR Fit. How's it playing with the Accra shaft?